• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

Mainly because its the inferior league, NL 4 life

Basically. Interleague play still doesn't help much because it's only a few games a year. Technically the AL is probably a better league top to bottom, but there's still quite a few strong teams in the NL. Anyway, baseball talk.

Basically. Interleague play still doesn't help much because it's only a few games a year. Technically the AL is probably a better league top to bottom, but there's still quite a few strong teams in the NL. Anyway, baseball talk.

And the AL's rules suck, DH? get da fuck outta here.

And the AL's rules suck, DH? get da fuck outta here.

Sorry, but making pitchers bat is dumb. It's tradition for tradition's sake.

Pitching in Major League Baseball is physically grueling enough, and there's no reason to put pitchers at an even greater risk of injury by making them bat.

andycapps

Sorry, but making pitchers bat is dumb. It's tradition for tradition's sake.

Pitching in Major League Baseball is physically grueling enough, and there's no reason to put pitchers at an even greater risk of injury by making them bat.

Really, the risk of injury is minimal in getting hit by a baseball. But then again, most of the athletes are so out of shape that they hurt themselves by pulling a muscle when they swing the bat.

And I'm wondering if you'd feel the same way about making pitchers bat being dumb if you weren't a fan of an AL team. ;p

cdyhybrid

Anyone else think it's weird that NFL.com is covering college football and college players now? Not just draft-related stuff either.

I am still around.

However, I'm stepping back this season from commenting on Rutgers aggressively. There isn't going to be much to say other than, "It's awful."

Anyway, I'll probably end up at a ton of Clemson tailgates this year anyway. The women are fairly hot, so I'll do something more enjoyable than, "R$#()%#*@*%()@*_ FIRE FLOOD!"

When Flood is gone though, I expect to be back in FULL FORCE!

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I am still around.

However, I'm stepping back this season from commenting on Rutgers aggressively.

There isn't going to be much to say other than, "It's awful."

I'll probably end up at a ton of Clemson tailgates this year anyway. The women are fairly hot, so I'll do something more enjoyable than, "R$#()%#*@*%()@*_ FIRE FLOOD!"
Who is post? Sirpopopopopopopopo is dead.

Really, the risk of injury is minimal in getting hit by a baseball. But then again, most of the athletes are so out of shape that they hurt themselves by pulling a muscle when they swing the bat.

And I'm wondering if you'd feel the same way about making pitchers bat being dumb if you weren't a fan of an AL team. ;p

It's certainly possible that I'd feel differently if I were a Reds fan instead of an Indians fan, but I obviously can't say for certain.

I just think it's really obvious that forcing pitchers to hit is detrimental to the game considering they're such terrible hitters, and it's also just unfair to place that extra burden on them when pitching is so physically and mentally exhausting.

It's certainly possible that I'd feel differently if I were a Reds fan instead of an Indians fan, but I obviously can't say for certain.

I just think it's really obvious that forcing pitchers to hit is detrimental to the game considering they're such terrible hitters, and it's also just unfair to place that extra burden on them when pitching is so physically and mentally exhausting.

I just dont like the fact that you can have a piece shit defender on your team who doesnt have to play the field at all. Aka Big Papi and Prince Fielder.

It's no accident the aggregate AL batting average has been higher than the NL every single year since 1973. In a game that needs offense, the DH helps. At the same time, AL pitchers need to be that much more effective, since NL pitchers are rarely concerned with who's batting 9th.

It's no accident the aggregate AL batting average has been higher than the NL every single year since 1973. In a game that needs offense, the DH helps. At the same time, AL pitchers need to be that much more effective, since NL pitchers are rarely concerned with who's batting 9th.

Its comical sometimes watching pitchers bat in the NL, especially pitchers that were just traded from AL teams. Watching Randy Johnson and Roger Clemens at the plate was something to behold.

Overall though, I think DH's are good for baseball. It keeps the offense flowing, and baseball needs as much offense as possible to be a tolerable fan sport.

Anyways....the last 40 days or so before CFB kicks off are the toughest. Baseball is about the only major sporting event going on, and it doesn't quench my sporting thirst at all.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I only posted about baseball as a way to lament the fact that I'm getting older. No reason to actually start talking about the baseball.

andycapps

I don't know if it's detrimental to the game to have pitchers hit. It's definitely the way things have been done in the past. DH is a way to make the game more exciting because there's more offense but it also takes some of the gameplanning away from the manager who has to determine when to pull his pitcher based on if he can get a good situation to put in a pinch hitter. Pinch hitters can mean the difference in a lot of games in the NL.

Also, wut at this.

@CollegeGameDay: "Tennessee is the original Wide Receiver U" - Butch Jones

Andrus Jones or Andrew Jones? Or Andruw Jones?

The guy whose career lived on for a few years, solely for having an outstanding world series when he was a rookie.

Andruw Jones is a borderline Hall of Famer who is still active in Japan.

I don't know if it's detrimental to the game to have pitchers hit. It's definitely the way things have been done in the past. DH is a way to make the game more exciting because there's more offense but it also takes some of the gameplanning away from the manager who has to determine when to pull his pitcher based on if he can get a good situation to put in a pinch hitter. Pinch hitters can mean the difference in a lot of games in the NL.

Also, wut at this.

Major league managers in the AL and NL are both already awful with the vast over micromanagement of bullpens. Watching NL games with awful pinch hitting decisions and terrible match up games based on antiquated understandings of platoon splits is part of why people find baseball slow and boring. I'm the biggest baseball fan I know (in real life) and I hate that shit.

The best hitting pitcher of the past 4 years put up a wRC+ of 64. That's the equivalent of Brendan Ryan an all defense no hit short stop's current line for the season.

If the top end for hitting pitchers is a guy so bad at hitting the offensively challenged Seattle Mariners dumped him, you have to wonder if it is really worth it.

Of the 20 qualified hitters with a primary position of DH on Fangraphs the worst one is Jason Kubel with a 99 wRC+, which means he's approximately 35% better a hitter than a top end pitcher (while being a roughly average hitter).

So again, at BEST pitchers are about 35% WORSE than the WORST every day DH. Is this really what you want to watch?

"Dylan Thompson was the only QB in the nation to beat UCF last year." - Steve Spurrier

"Big donors (in college) are similar to an owner of an NFL team. Best part they don’t tell you what to do." - Steve Spurrier

"Stephen Garcia might be good in the media. … Heck, you guys made it.” - Steve Spurrier

andycapps

Spurrier spoke today at SEC Media Days. As you can imagine, he delivered some good quotes. He and Miles are always the most entertaining.

On his former quarterback Stephen Garcia, who's here working for the web site "Saturday Down South": "Stephen has his long hair back. It looks like he joined Duck Dynasty instead of the media."

The Head/Old Ball Coach didn't take any digs at anybody, but he was good for a few quips and riffs. The best was his riff on Davy Crockett and the Alamo, prompted by a question about the new "James Bonham" trophy to be given for the winner of the now-annual Texas A&M-South Carolina game. Bonham was a South Carolina graduate who was killed at the Alamo.

"I'm sure Bonham did some good things. I always thought Davy Crockett was the hero of the Alamo, he and those 33 Tennessee guys that came in there and got killed and so forth," Spurrier said, in a way only he can. "So the trophy was a little surprising to me. I'm sure this guy Bonham was a hero and did a lot of good, after I read the story."

He did have a dig in there that I saw other sites report about how all the Big 10 games have rivalry trophies.

BsmDoPVCMAABqZE.jpg

#TrueDetectiveSeason2

andycapps

we big time now

AAC AAC AAC

You could also say that was a disappointing season for him when that's what he mentions when he brags... :) Just kidding, UCF is an up and coming team. They're certainly better than former powers like Tennessee, but who isn't?

This will make Lonestar and mre happy.. Butch Jones when asked about Utah State, "Utah State will be a great challenge. They are used to winning."

:jnc

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Utah State?

Maybe I'm missing something, but Utah State's has played and lost to Alabama the 1 time they've faced (2004). In fact, they've won 1 game against SEC teams (beat Kentucky at some point).

So...huh?

Does he, or Andy, mean Utah?

cdyhybrid

Utah State?

Maybe I'm missing something, but Utah State's has played and lost to Alabama the 1 time they've faced (2004). In fact, they've won 1 game against SEC teams (beat Kentucky at some point).

So...huh?

Does he, or Andy, mean Utah?

They've had somewhat decent seasons recently...11-2 WAC champions in 2012, finished #16, 9-5 last season, finished second in the MWC. They've had a few guys drafted too.

Draxal

http://cwur.org/2014/

CWUR top world wide university rankings have been updated.

USA USA USA USA.

Pretty much confirming what we all knew.
That PAC has the crème de la crème of academic football schools (Stanford, Cal) with UCLA, Washington, USC, and Colorado also ranking top 100 world wide.
Florida over Vandy in the Sec (CWUR is heavily researched biased, so good undergrad schools like ND take a hit here) a mild surprise to me.
ACC has some amazing standouts and some big draggers: Louisville, Boston College (kinda surprised how low BC ranked here).
BIG's elite schools aren't as strong as the PAC, but overall very strong with Nebraska being a big drag on overall rankings.

http://cwur.org/2014/

CWUR top world wide university rankings have been updated.

USA USA USA USA.

Pretty much confirming what we all knew.
That PAC has the crème de la crème of academic football schools (Stanford, Cal) with UCLA, Washington, USC, and Colorado also ranking top 100 world wide.
Florida over Vandy in the Sec (CWUR is heavily researched biased, so good undergrad schools like ND take a hit here) a mild surprise to me.
ACC has some amazing standouts and some big draggers: Louisville, Boston College (kinda surprised how low BC ranked here).
BIG's elite schools aren't as strong as the PAC, but overall very strong with Nebraska being a big drag on overall rankings.

Saw Texas at 29, then kept scrolling and scrolling looking for the next Big12 school. Got in the 100's and gave up. We should have joined the Pac12 :(

Draxal

Saw Texas at 29, then kept scrolling and scrolling looking for the next Big12 school. Got in the 100's and gave up. We should have joined the Pac12 :(

Baylor 121.

I also missed Zona and Utah for top 100 in the PAC.

edit. oh wait that's Baylor College of Medicine and not Baylor. Looks like Iowa State at 182.

The SWC would have fared better with Rice/SMU/Houston and A&M.

ACC Scorecard

26 Duke
41 Virginia
45 North Carolina
53 Pittsburgh
64 Notre Dame
83 Georgia Tech
138 Miami
145 Wake Forest
228 NC State
255 Florida State
271 Virginia Tech
322 Louisville
332 Boston College
448 Syracuse
510 Clemson

867 UNC-Greensboro (my alma mater)

Draxal

ACC Scorecard

26 Duke
41 Virginia
45 North Carolina
53 Pittsburgh
64 Notre Dame
83 Georgia Tech
138 Miami
145 Wake Forest
228 NC State
255 Florida State
271 Virginia Tech
322 Louisville
332 Boston College
448 Syracuse
510 Clemson

867 UNC-Greensboro (my alma mater)

Well if you're going to include ND.

BIG
8 Chicago
19 John Hopkins
21 Michigan
23 Northwestern
25 Wisconsin
28 Illinois
33 Rutgers
46 Penn State
47 Ohio State
49 Minnesota
52 Purdue
76 Maryland
112 Michigan State
113 Indiana
125 Iowa
335 Nebraska

lol SMU is lower than UT Dallas.

Research bias kills SMU.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently over the weekend incoming Texas Tech true freshman DB Nigel Bethel punched one of the women's basketball players in a pick-up game at the rec center and has been dismissed from the team. The female player is going to need surgery after she broke a bone.

The word on what happened is that everybody involved in the game (some football players, a few WBB players, and then just some randoms) was getting really physical and at some point he got hard fouled after a layup and got up swinging without even knowing who he was swinging at. Rumors are that he broke her jaw in a few places and knocked out some molars.

::edit::
News coming out now sure seems to make it looks worse than the rumors.
::/edit::

I'm not a big twitter guy but it seems like half of what he was posting on there was about being glad he was out of the 'hood in Miami and talking about how he's grown up past all the guys he left behind. Guess he hadn't grown up as much as he thought he had. Hope he gets his head on straight wherever he lands, and hope she recovers quickly. If the rumor above is at all true she'll be looking at several weeks wired shut.

The guy was one of our top recruits in the 2014 class and basically already had a starting job waiting for him. Hurts our CB depth at a minimum. Good thing we signed about a hundred DBs in this last class.

Quoting myself from a few weeks ago as it now looks like the grand jury has no-billed the case, meaning he won't be charged with a crime. The grand jury also apparently wrote a letter to our athletic director recommending that Bethel get reinstated, which I highly doubt will happen. It has also come out that Battle apparently didn't break any bones and will not need surgery as initially reported. Some murmurs of Battle facing perjury charges.

Apparently the video clearly shows that Amber Battle swung at him first, at the back of his head, and he turned around immediately swinging without necessarily knowing who it was, and after he connected he walked away immediately. I think that at the time Tech was pressed into kicking him out due to the whole "violence against women" part of the incident, but that video will leak eventually, I think, and if it is as advertised then I think there is going to be some new heat around one or both of 1. Bethel not being reinstated, and 2. Bethel getting kicked off the team within hours while Battle instigated the fight but only got 1 month suspension announced days later.

Really, though, my ultimate plan in all of this is just to keep quoting myself over and over until my posts reach Pristine-level length.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom