• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

Utah State?

Maybe I'm missing something, but Utah State's has played and lost to Alabama the 1 time they've faced (2004). In fact, they've won 1 game against SEC teams (beat Kentucky at some point).

So...huh?

Does he, or Andy, mean Utah?

It's no typo. He's worried about Utah State, supposedly. Obviously it's at home with a sea of Creamsicle Urnge and the incessant strains of Dear Old Rocky Top. I think we can all point and laugh at how far Tennessee has fallen. Think about this, they've had one winning season since Fat Phil left. And that was 7-6 in 2009 with the Kiffmeister.

And they're not going to be any better this year, they have a brutal schedule. I believe 2nd toughest in the country. And according to Butch Jones, they lost their interior offensive and defensive lines.

Quoting myself from a few weeks ago as it now looks like the grand jury has no-billed the case, meaning he won't be charged with a crime. The grand jury also apparently wrote a letter to our athletic director recommending that Bethel get reinstated, which I highly doubt will happen. It has also come out that Battle apparently didn't break any bones and will not need surgery as initially reported. Some murmurs of Battle facing perjury charges.

Apparently the video clearly shows that Amber Battle swung at him first, at the back of his head, and he turned around immediately swinging without necessarily knowing who it was, and after he connected he walked away immediately. I think that at the time Tech was pressed into kicking him out due to the whole "violence against women" part of the incident, but that video will leak eventually, I think, and if it is as advertised then I think there is going to be some new heat around one or both of 1. Bethel not being reinstated, and 2. Bethel getting kicked off the team within hours while Battle instigated the fight but only got 1 month suspension announced days later.

Really, though, my ultimate plan in all of this is just to keep quoting myself over and over until my posts reach Pristine-level length.

Yeah I read about how Battle basically came out and admitted to instigating the fight. She gets a month suspension during non-conference basketball season in November, while Bethel is suspended forever from the university for hitting back ( and not hurting her enough to break bones ). Seems like a double standard at work, but what can you do...

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I read about how Battle basically came out and admitted to instigating the fight. She gets a month suspension during non-conference basketball season in November, while Bethel is suspended forever from the university for hitting back ( and not hurting her enough to break bones ). Seems like a double standard at work, but what can you do...

They say he was kicked out due to a "zero tolerance policy," which most people are reading as "zero tolerance policy for violence against women."

They say he was kicked out due to a "zero tolerance policy," which most people are reading as "zero tolerance policy for violence against women."

I'm not a fan of zero tolerance policies, because there can be grey area in any situation, but if a zero tolerance policy is in action, it should be for both genders. If that makes me anti-feminist so be it. These two kids were both 5'9" and both athletes. I don't think either would unfairly "overpower" another.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Video's out. Sure looks to me like he stared her in the face before the swing, but that also definitely wasn't aggravated assault so I can see why the case was dropped. Still don't think they reinstate him.

These two kids were both 5'9" and both athletes. I don't think either would unfairly "overpower" another.

Zero tolerance policy application discussion aside, I don't really get this part of your post. He's heavier, stronger, and faster. Height comparability is almost irrelevant IMO, and the weight, strength, and speed combination will lean towards the male almost every time no matter if they're both athletes or not. I'd put my money on him even if she was 6'5".

Zero tolerance policy application discussion NOT aside, pretty much everybody I talk to agrees that they should have had the same punishment; either both gone or neither gone. I think the WBB team is going to face a lot of backlash over this, unfortunately.

Video's out. Sure looks to me like he stared her in the face before the swing, but that also definitely wasn't aggravated assault so I can see why the case was dropped. Still don't think they reinstate him.

Zero tolerance policy application discussion aside, I don't really get this part of your post. He's heavier, stronger, and faster. Height comparability is almost irrelevant IMO, and the weight, strength, and speed combination will lean towards the male almost every time no matter if they're both athletes or not. I'd put my money on him even if she was 6'5".

Zero tolerance policy application discussion NOT aside, pretty much everybody I talk to agrees that they should have had the same punishment; either both gone or neither gone. I think the WBB team is going to face a lot of backlash over this, unfortunately.

Maybe its because the video was taken from afar, but that incident looked very minor. And there was view obstruction by a pole, which also doesn't help.

more often than not the male of the same measurables will outmatch the female, but not ALL the time, which is why I don't like this particular zero tolerance policy. Whats wrong with going by a case by case basis? And I couldn't compare weight because they don't list weight on any female athletes profile that I've ever seen.

Meier

Texas is killing off the program that has allowed staff to get season tickets at a pretty reasonable price after this season, so it'll be my 4th and final season as a season ticket holder. :( Gotta keep increasing those record revenues, I guess. Lots of empty seats at most games, can't imagine this will help, but they'll still end up selling em I suppose.

andycapps

I'm not a fan of zero tolerance policies, because there can be grey area in any situation, but if a zero tolerance policy is in action, it should be for both genders. If that makes me anti-feminist so be it. These two kids were both 5'9" and both athletes. I don't think either would unfairly "overpower" another.

While I agree that both should have been kicked out, courts and public opinion are going to side with the woman most of the time because males are typically stronger. They might be the same size and both consistently workout, but he's probably much stronger than her.

andycapps

In the spirit of Bielema speaking today at SEC Media Days, I present this GIF. Girl on the left with the red poncho kills me, as does the guy in the white baseball cap next to her.

bret-bielema-slips.gif

Draxal

In the spirit of Bielema speaking today at SEC Media Days, I present this GIF. Girl on the left with the red poncho kills me, as does the guy in the white baseball cap next to her.

bret-bielema-slips.gif

Man, I wish I still had the gif of him perpetually falling up and down.

bret-bielema-slips.gif

Homeboy can get down with his bad self. They call that move the pig on a platter at the Fayetteville clubs.

ACC Scorecard

26 Duke
41 Virginia
45 North Carolina
53 Pittsburgh
64 Notre Dame
83 Georgia Tech
138 Miami
145 Wake Forest
228 NC State
255 Florida State
271 Virginia Tech
322 Louisville
332 Boston College
448 Syracuse
510 Clemson

867 UNC-Greensboro (my alma mater)

Pac 12

2 Stanford
7 Cal
15 UCLA
32 UW
51 USC
62 Utah
63 Colorado
70 Arizona
106 ASU
265 Oregon State
296 WSU
346 Oregon

SEC

59 Florida
71 Vanderbilt
92 Tennessee
105 Texas A&M
196 Missouri
207 Georgia
216 Louisiana State
259 Kentucky
298 USCe
372 Alabama
441 Ole Miss
477 Arkansas
504 Miss. State
548 Auburn

I'm not sure I want to live in a world where Florida is the best academic school in the SEC.

Big 12
29 Texas
125 Iowa
182 Iowa State
203 Kansas
235 Oklahoma
319 Kansas St
365 Oklahoma St
439 WVU
473 Baylor
480 Texas Tech
??? TCU

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
strange when I've seen recent university rankings list Alabama in the 70-80's (Nationally), putting it 4th or 5th (Vandy, Florida, A&M and I want to say possibly UGA). LSU was near the back of the SEC pack, but this one has them flipped. Was it USNews?

Oh, also, it's official, USCw vs Alabama in 2016.

That's what I get for researching on USNews...http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/spp%2B50/page+2
Whenever research is weighted heavily in university rankings, Alabama loses.

Draxal

strange when I've seen recent university rankings list Alabama in the 70-80's (Nationally), putting it 4th or 5th (Vandy, Florida, A&M and I want to say possibly UGA). LSU was near the back of the SEC pack, but this one has them flipped. Was it USNews?

That's what I get for researching on USNews...http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/spp%2B50/page+2

CWRU is heavily biased for research heavy schools, use the QOE or Alumni Employment of the metrics to judge by undergraduate experience, private schools in general get hosed hard by this as well (there are exceptions of course).

I wouldn't put much faith in a report that has Arizona State just outside of the top 100 worldwide.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
more often than not the male of the same measurables will outmatch the female, but not ALL the time, which is why I don't like this particular zero tolerance policy. Whats wrong with going by a case by case basis? And I couldn't compare weight because they don't list weight on any female athletes profile that I've ever seen.

Again, I'm not even arguing about the merits of the policy itself, just arguing that the odds of a female (even an athlete) coming up advantageous (or even even) in a measurables comparison to a collegiate football player who was a state champion sprinter are really, really low. When you say " I don't think either would unfairly 'overpower' another" I would disagree because the vast majority of the time (albeit, yes, not 100% of the time) there will be a strong advantage to the male in a situation like this, whether you think that majority difference should result in a blanket 100% zero tolerance policy or not.

While I agree that both should have been kicked out, courts and public opinion are going to side with the woman most of the time because males are typically stronger. They might be the same size and both consistently workout, but he's probably much stronger than her.

Most people think neither should be kicked out from what I've seen; they only want equality in punishment, meaning they are crying for her to be kicked out because he is already gone. If he had only been suspended and she hadn't, for instance, they'd be crying for her to be only suspended.

As perfectchaos007 says, the incident itself appears to be very minor now that we can see the video. The same thing happens a thousand times a day on basketball courts around the country, sex of the individuals aside. The initial backlash around the incident was magnified by the news that he broke bones in her face, that she would require surgery, and that the surgery had to wait because her face was too swollen to perform immediately, but apparently all of those claims have now been shown to be false.

::edit::

Two more videos out now, one of Bethel going down as she goes for a layup and then her going after him with a shove after he gets up, and one of her going for what appears to be a hard foul on another guy in the paint. It's looking more and more like she was up there looking for a fight the whole time and somebody finally got sick of it.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Press conference scheduled for 4:45, apparently. Rumors are Bethel will be reinstated. Guess we'll find out in about 15 minutes. I'll still be really surprised if he's back. Maybe in some partial reinstatement capacity? Who the hell knows. Maybe Battle is gone too.

If he is, this may be about to go from a story that ~one person cares about in the CFB thread to a full on media shitstorm.

Now rumors are that he'll be back in some capacity and Battle may be gone for perjury. Massive grade of slaw, of course.

::edit2::
Word is reinstatement for Bethel, suspended for 3 games. Basically matches his penalty to Battle's.

::edit3::
Battle herself apparently lobbied for Bethel to be reinstated.

Press conference scheduled for 4:45, apparently. Rumors are Bethel will be reinstated. Guess we'll find out in about 15 minutes. I'll still be really surprised if he's back. Maybe in some partial reinstatement capacity? Who the hell knows. Maybe Battle is gone too.

If he is, this may be about to go from a story that ~one person cares about in the CFB thread to a full on media shitstorm.

Now rumors are that he'll be back in some capacity and Battle may be gone for perjury. Massive grade of slaw, of course.

::edit2::
Word is reinstatement for Bethel, suspended for 3 games. Basically matches his penalty to Battle's.

I mean, he's a true Freshman right? I know he was Tech's prize recruit in 2014, but I'm assuming theres a good chance he'd redshirt depending on current CB depth. If he RS's, will his suspension carry over to 2015 or will the first 3 games in 2014 count towards his suspension regardless if he sees the field? Keep me updated. I care.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I mean, he's a true Freshman right? I know he was Tech's prize recruit in 2014, but I'm assuming theres a good chance he'd redshirt depending on current CB depth. If he RS's, will his suspension carry over to 2015 or will the first 3 games in 2014 count towards his suspension regardless if he sees the field? Keep me updated. I care.
There's no way his suspension would carry over for a year if he red shirts. That would just be stupid.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

You're the reason I added the ~ before the "one person." ; )

The starting CB job opposite true sophomore Justis Nelson is practically Bethel's to lose, and if nothing else there is basically no chance at all that he redshirts. Nelson looked great last year and our starting safeties look good but past that our DB depth is terrible. There's a reason we signed 8 DBs in this last class.

All you need to know about the position is that when Bethel was first kicked off the team the first person most people thought would fill the starting CB void was Michael Coley, another true freshman who we didn't even get a commitment from until signing day when a JUCO DB didn't qualify. He is listed on 3 of the 4 recruiting sites as a WR and the other one as an S.

If a true freshman isn't starting for us at CB it means somebody else on the roster stepped WAY up in Fall camp from where they were in the Spring.

AntoneM

Ted Miller said:
Finally, there's the Lane Kiffin angle. Kiffin, you might have heard, was fired five games into the 2013 season as USC's head coach. He is now Alabama's offensive coordinator, a pairing with Saban that seems, well, interesting. Kiffin might be somewhere else in 2016, but it certainly would be a notable sidebar to the game if he is not.

By the way, Saban will be 65 in 2016. He might not be atop the Crimson Tide when this game rolls around.

Hmm. Lane Kiffin, Lane Kiffin. Hmm.

I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I didn't see RF post this ( I guess he's an FSU fan on the CFB board ;P) but Duke has new uniforms this season

Somehow they are supposed to be a tribute to the 89 team since its the 25th anniversary since Duke last won the ACC outright. Other than the stripes being on the sleeves instead of the pads, I don't really see it. Maybe Cut will be wearing a visor this year on the sidelines.

Here is a link to the promo video

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209577060&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Honestly its not quite what I was hoping for, and not that different than the ones they've worn since Cutcliffe got there.

I didn't see RF post this ( I guess he's an FSU fan on the CFB board ;P) but Duke has new uniforms this season

Somehow they are supposed to be a tribute to the 89 team since its the 25th anniversary since Duke last won the ACC outright. Other than the stripes being on the sleeves instead of the pads, I don't really see it. Maybe Cut will be wearing a visor this year on the sidelines.

Here is a link to the promo video

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209577060&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Honestly its not quite what I was hoping for, and not that different than the ones they've worn since Cutcliffe got there.

In honor of the 89 team, they'll beat Carolina 41-0.

David Cutcliffe ‏@DavidCutcliffe 2h
16 days from starting practice!!

BsvQK3pIcAAyLdR.jpg

jjasper

Also, wut at this.

It isn't really that ridiculous we have put a lot of WR in the NFL and they are basically the only NFL prospects we have been able to produce since we went into the shitter. I wouldn't be surprised if we had the most WR in the NFL over a 35-40 year period. Not like he said current WRU though. There are a lot of things we originally were but aren't anymore.

Anyway I am looking forward to this year in the maybe this will be the last year we suck kind of way. Although possibly losing to Utah St and then losing to OU by a billion is probably going to test that. But it is a nice bonus that I don't have to hear about how great our O-line is ESPN, CBS, etc when in reality they were pretty fucking awful. And hopefully now that AJ Johnson isn't a linebacker anymore he won't suck anymore either.

andycapps

Outside of the fact that 5-10 schools can each claim position U so trying to pinpoint #1 is dumb it isn't really that ridiculous we have put a lot of WR in the NFL and they are basically the only NFL prospects we have been able to produce since we went into the shitter too.

Anyway I am looking forward to this year in the maybe this will be the last year we suck kind of way. Although possibly losing to Utah St and then losing to OU by a billion is probably going to test that. But it is a nice bonus that I don't have to hear about how great our O-line is ESPN, CBS, etc when in reality they were pretty fucking awful. And hopefully now that AJ Johnson isn't a linebacker anymore he won't suck anymore either.

The active Vol receivers in the NFL are the below. Not really any household names on there, though I think Patterson could be a good one and Moore is probably the best of the lot right now.

Justin Hunter
Robert Meachem
Cordarrelle Patterson
Denarious Moore

In the interest of not being a homer, I'm not going to compare with my school, I'll compare to LSU. I'm just saying, Butch Jones was talking out of his ass. He can sell that line to recruits, but anybody that follows the sport doesn't think of Tennessee as Wide Receiver U.

Odell Beckham
Kadron Boone
Trindon Holliday
Brandon Lafell
Jarvis Landry
Reuben Randle
Russell Shepard
Terrence Toliver
James Wright

I think you could be right in that this could be Tennessee's last year to suck this bad. The problem is just that the schedule is brutal and they've lost so much, and they didn't have much to begin with. They had a good class this year, but there's still a lack of depth, and the depth that they have may be talented but raw. That's a poor combination when facing a tough schedule.

jjasper

Sorry I edited right before you posted cause what I was trying to say didn't come out right. Basically what I was trying to say is it isn't that crazy cause he wasn't claiming to be the current WRU just the original which means you were the first or one of the first to start putting a lot of WR into the NFL which they were (them and Miami).

Retweeted by Ryan McGee
Adam K. Moussa ‏@AKMoussa 1h
Most popular sports in America » http://es.pn/1jBmVP6
NFL – 35%
MLB – 14%
CFB – 11%
Auto Racing – 7%
NBA – 6%
NHL – 5%
CBB – 3%

^

This is based on a Harris Poll of favorite sports. The NFL by a wide margin, but CFB is a strong third.

CBB :(

jjasper

^

This is based on a Harris Poll of favorite sports. The NFL by a wide margin, but CFB is a strong third.

CBB :(

College basketball is awful and probably will be till they fix the shot clock and change the age to 20. But baseball being that high is really surprising. I would have figure it would have been NFL and CFB 1 and 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom