• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Hear that time warner and bright house are on the SECN bandwagon. So, I should be covered.

Comcast is still a no go.

OU freshman RB Joe Mixon involved in "Serious Altercation" early Friday morning.

https://oklahoma.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1662660

A synopsis of the report suggests aggravated assault and battery.
​ ​
Sources indicated Mixon was not arrested at the scene as officers wanted to study security footage of the incident before filing any charges. Police did receive footage of the incident today.
It is rumors at this point, but supposedly he broke a woman's jaw.

Way to branch out there, champ. :p

I was actually accepted in to Vanderbilt, just couldn't do it considering I'm going into Nursing and having a job/full course load would be too much stress on me haha. Plus I was getting very little financial aid if I decided to go to Vandy, at UA I'm pretty set.

Hear that time warner and bright house are on the SECN bandwagon. So, I should be covered.

Comcast is still a no go.
I'm upset by this. Maybe I should call them and threaten to leave so I get some discounts on my service.

And who is winning the fullmer cup this off season? Is anyone tracking? Seems to be a lot of activity this year.

andycapps

Man, I give up on college football. So many boneheaded players getting into trouble this offseason. It's always at this time right before practice starts back up and they're trying to get in their last bit of real partying.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
ieFxcpZ.gif

Draxal

PSU hired former Cal AD Sandy Barbour and threw Cal under the bus blaming Cal's financial situation for her failures there. PSU fanbase upset at the hire as Cal's track record in revenue sports was pretty brutal recently in both graduation rates and on the field.

ag-my001

I'm upset by this. Maybe I should call them and threaten to leave so I get some discounts on my service.

And who is winning the fullmer cup this off season? Is anyone tracking? Seems to be a lot of activity this year.

I have one of their triple bundles which specifically includes all the sports channels, so I'll be ticked if it doesn't at least end up there in time for the first game.

pxleyes

Banned
Man, I give up on college football. So many boneheaded players getting into trouble this offseason. It's always at this time right before practice starts back up and they're trying to get in their last bit of real partying.

It's never going to change. Kids are going to be kids, and football players are always going to do stupid shit in the off-season. I don't really get it either, but it isn't like anyone is immune.

I'm upset they're offering it. I don't want to help pay for that trash!

I remember during the LHN's infancy a bunch of aggy fans were calling their providers telling them they would drop their subscription if they added LHN to counteract the Longhorn fans calling their providers demanding LHN. Aren't provider wars fun!?

Comcast still doesn't have LHN, but Comcast is the only option to watch the Astros and Rockets so Longhorn fans in Houston have to choose. Sucks

ag-my001

I can compromise. I live in Maryland, so they can drop the Big10 network and replace it. That way I won't have to see the Terps stink up the field.

I can compromise. I live in Maryland, so they can drop the Big10 network and replace it. That way I won't have to see the Terps stink up the field.

I think you guys make a nice addition and your wonky uniforms have really grown on me, hope you rock them for a long time.

Draxal

RutgersAl has finally lost it.

I laugh at all the preseason predictions which have Rutgers placed last in the Big Ten. But i don't place any value in these preseason predictions, because most of the time, they're wrong, anyways and most of these prognosticators couldn't tell you two players playing for Rutgers. Last season, Athlon predicted Michigan State to finish fourth in the legends division at 7-5. They wound up finishing first and beat Stanford in the Rose Bowl

Rutgers recruits a similar caliber of athlete, compared with Michigan State. And this year, i TRULY BELIEVE its our turn to finish #1. We are going to be able to run the ball, stop the run, and throw downfield, as needed. This matches up well with the strengths of most Big Ten teams. They run the ball, and run the ball some more, passing just isn't their forte. And this provides Rutgers with a key competitive advantage on offense: our offensive balance, which NO OTHER Big Ten team can match. In contrast, we're STRONG up front.

It all starts with the BEST offensive line in the Big Ten, under the experienced tutelage of veteran coach Mitch Browning, whose lines helped pave the way for effective rushing attacks in of all places, MINNESOTA. Keith Lumpkin and Kaleb Johnson are soon to be NFL ready linemen, who have All American potential. They helped paved the way for a 4.8 ypc Paul james average against Notre Dame, whose defensive line, had similar talent to the Big Ten lines we'll be going up against.
After a full season under their belt, Mueller and Alexander will be much improved. Bujari is a Rimington Trophy candidate, who has been very effective when healthy.

The rbs are the DEEPEST we've ever had, with Paul James, Goodwin, Peoples, Hicks, and Martin. Each of these backs have the potential to run for 1,000 yards this season. Who gets the opportunity? We'll see in training camp.

Complementing our POWERFUL rushing attack, will be our now POWERFUL passing attack, guided by the expert hands of Ralph Friedgen, the best OC in Rutgers History. Ralph has already guided Boomer Esiason and others like Scott Zolak to the NFL, and I firmly believe that he will do the same for Gary Nova. Gary has a stronger arm than many NFL qbs, but simply needs to avoid turnovers and make better decisions. Under Ralph Friedgens tutelage, he will.

But Nova won't have to do it alone. He'll be throwing to the best wr corp he's ever had in Leonte Carroo, Tyler Kroft, and Ruhann Peele. Receivers with All American potential. You know I didn't realize that Peele made a key first down, which kept Rutgers alive in the Arkansas game. He caught the ball short of the marker, spun around, then outstretched his arms, to barely make the first down, deep in Rutgers territory, with Rutgers trailing by ten, early in the fourth quarter. Without that first down, I'd say it would have been highly likely that Rutgers would have lost that game. And we wouldn't have played in the pinstripe bowl against Notre Dame.

Our defensive line played VERY WELL against Notre Dame, and the only reason they tired was because our qb had a terrible game, so the "D" was on the field too long. (notre dame had a 38 minute to 22 minute time of possession advantage) Darius Hamilton terrorized ND's offensive linemen, despite giving away close to 70 pounds. Our LBs were also terrific against ND with Longa notching 12 tackles and Gause notching 9 tackles. The secondary had its best game of the season, and did an exceptional job of keeping ND out of the endzone, most times, and did its best job of tackling all season long.

Rutgers defense played well enough to win against Notre Dame, but the offense simply couldn't capitalize on opportunities.
If Gary Nova had played against Notre Dame, and had an Arkansas or Fresno State like performance, we probably SMOKE Notre Dame. Instead, the defense had to carry most of the burden, but despite that, The Notre Dame score was 19-16 with just under four minutes left to go, and that was only because of the exceptional coaching job that Joe Rossi performed against Notre Dame. Thats why i have every confidence that he is going to be terrific. It took Tommy Rees' best game of his lifetime, in his last game, to beat us, and I can live with that.

Our B1G Ten opponents, aren't going to be as fortunate, because with Ralph Friedgen helming the offense, and a more effective offensive line, Rutgers offense is going to be at least 14 points better. Big Ten DCs against the Fridge just isn't a fair fight. Maybe Narduzzi has the chops to go up against the Fridge, but I doubt it. In fact, I expect Joe Rossi's defense to be BETTER than Pat Narduzzi's, and you can write that down. MSUs defense has simply lost too much talent to the draft and graduation, to be as effective as Rutgers.

Rutgers offensive balance and defensive prowess is what puts Rutgers a notch above everyone else in the Big Ten. You look at how Big Teams fared against Rutgers type teams, and they didn't just lose, they got SMOKED. Miami beat Penn State 33-7 in 2001, and I expect Rutgers to beat Penn State similarly. In that game, Ken Dorsey, who had a worse arm than Gary Nova, threw for 344 yards. Clinton Portis ran for 164 yards and Willis McGahee ran for 77 yards. Andre Johnson had 69 yards receiving and Jeremy Shockey had 84 yards receiving. I can see Gary Nova, Paul James, Carroo, Kroft and one of the other Rutgers backs putting up similar numbers against Penn State.

Rutgers is a TERRIBLE matchup for Big Ten Teams. Which is why there is NO REASON why Rutgers can' t be the BEST of the Big Ten.

I love that he claims it was Tommy Rees's best game. I think everyone watching that game realized that with a non div ii qb we would have annihilated Rutgers. Only a Rutgers fan could garner so much false hope from a pinstripe bowl loss.

Draxal

I love that he claims it was Tommy Rees's best game. I think everyone watching that game realized that with a non div ii qb we would have annihilated Rutgers. Only a Rutgers fan could garner so much false hope from a pinstripe bowl loss.

To be fair Rees was fine that game, your wrs were just slipping nonstop because the field was horrific that game. The field was incredibly awful.

Charlie Strong just landed a WR recruit from the state of Florida that had offers from Alabama, FSU, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, LSU, USCw and more. Mack rarely even attempted to recruit out of state talent, so its good to see Strong going out of state more.

Gave the Destiny beta the old college try this weekend. Not particularly impressed.

It's kind of a bland, lonely experience, and I'm puzzled by the game progression, specifically with how it works with the online co-op.

I could see how it would be fun if you're playing with people you know, but when you're tossed in with random strangers, it's just doesn't make much sense. You're all going after the same objective simultaneously and it's like you're kind of working together but then you enter a darkness zone and you're all on your own. Feels like a pretty cheap and artificial way to separate the co-op and single player game elements.

I dunno. It's just kind of a strange and nonsensical game structure. Then again, I'm not very experienced with MMOs in general, so perhaps I'm just a bit ignorant on the subject.

My best friend, who is a total Halo nut, was in town this weekend and I had him take it for a spin. He loved the gameplay, but he was similarly perplexed by the online elements. He loves FPSes and does a bit of online multiplayer, but he's primarily into single-player story campaigns and he's definitely not sold on Destiny's approach.

andycapps

Gave the Destiny beta the old college try this weekend. Not particularly impressed.

It's kind of a bland, lonely experience, and I'm puzzled by the game progression, specifically with how it works with the online co-op.

I could see how it would be fun if you're playing with people you know, but when you're tossed in with random strangers, it's just doesn't make much sense. You're all going after the same objective simultaneously and it's like you're kind of working together but then you enter a darkness zone and you're all on your own. Feels like a pretty cheap and artificial way to separate the co-op and single player game elements.

I dunno. It's just kind of a strange and nonsensical game structure. Then again, I'm not very experienced with MMOs in general, so perhaps I'm just a bit ignorant on the subject.

My best friend, who is a total Halo nut, was in town this weekend and I had him take it for a spin. He loved the gameplay, but he was similarly perplexed by the online elements. He loves FPSes and does a bit of online multiplayer, but he's primarily into single-player story campaigns and he's definitely not sold on Destiny's approach.
It's one of those games that's a totally different game when you're playing with friends. It's okay playing by yourself but when you're in a party and you're trying to take down bosses or getting sick loot bro, that's when it hits it's stride.

I played through all the beta by myself and found it enjoyable. Played the multiplayer, but only played a few rounds. I can't play shooters online without friends. What will sell me is how long the single player content is. I kind of liked the random public quest that were thrown around

Still need to meet up for a beer Bert! For god sakes we live less than half a mile from one another!!

It's one of those games that's a totally different game when you're playing with friends. It's okay playing by yourself but when you're in a party and you're trying to take down bosses or getting sick loot bro, that's when it hits it's stride.

I guess this probably isn't the game for me, then.

I'm interested to see the reviews on this. Not that I really trust game reviews these days, but there seem to be quite a lot of GAFers with complaints similar to mine.

I played through all the beta by myself and found it enjoyable. Played the multiplayer, but only played a few rounds. I can't play shooters online without friends. What will sell me is how long the single player content is. I kind of liked the random public quest that were thrown around

Still need to meet up for a beer Bert! For god sakes we live less than half a mile from one another!!

Yeah, we really do. We'll also have to get together with our dogs once I get my puppy in September.

Speaking of which...

d0WX5Ec.jpg

bOFWkfT.jpg

I'll be getting one of these two guys. I have second pick of the two males in the litter, so I don't have much of a choice or anything, but they'll both be great dogs so I'm not that concerned. I'd probably have a slight preference for the darker one because red goldendoodles are less common than apricot goldendoodles, like the first one.

But again, not a big deal.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Ended up not getting to play Destiny because it just happened to be my 11 year wedding anniversary. Poor planning over a decade ago.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Totally kept forgetting to start it up.

Instead, played GTAV and FFXIV.

Really would like to have GTAV's online be revived here, after watching alot of Rooster Teeth's "Let's Play" series on GTA.

Ended up not getting to play Destiny because it just happened to be my 11 year wedding anniversary. Poor planning over a decade ago.

Congrats ;P

Figured I'd check for what's releasing on my anniversary this year. Master Chief Collection and The Crew. No big loss as I'm not getting either I guess.

I guess this probably isn't the game for me, then.

I'm interested to see the reviews on this. Not that I really trust game reviews these days, but there seem to be quite a lot of GAFers with complaints similar to mine.

Yeah, we really do. We'll also have to get together with our dogs once I get my puppy in September.

Speaking of which...

d0WX5Ec.jpg

bOFWkfT.jpg

I'll be getting one of these two guys. I have second pick of the two males in the litter, so I don't have much of a choice or anything, but they'll both be great dogs so I'm not that concerned. I'd probably have a slight preference for the darker one because red goldendoodles are less common than apricot goldendoodles, like the first one.

But again, not a big deal.

Sure do, here's my guy watching the storm roll through today:

936048_10152270036357828_233157221290942960_n.jpg

AntoneM

ooh ooh ooh

If college football conferences were dogs...

all of FCS - kindly muts
MWC - Boxer, very popular but not one of the big 5
MAC - Shih Tzhu because it sounds like shit zoo which describes the MAC pretty well
AAC - Any sort of rescue dog, don't really need to explain
CUSA - Pug, because every one loves them but no one wants to own them
Sun Belt - Lhasa Apso, cute and fun, but quickly forgotten
ACC - Mastif, noble and popular but not a dog people think of when they think of dogs
B1G - Golden Retriever, reliable, nice, good with kids
Big 12 - Chihuahua, agile, fast, always begging for attention
Pac 12- Lab, helps disabled people and can still run with the best
SEC - German Shepard, loyal and hard working

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
ooh ooh ooh

If college football conferences were dogs...

all of FCS - kindly muts
MWC - Boxer, very popular but not one of the big 5
MAC - Shih Tzhu because it sounds like shit zoo which describes the MAC pretty well
AAC - Any sort of rescue dog, don't really need to explain
CUSA - Pug, because every one loves them but no one wants to own them
Sun Belt - Lhasa Apso, cute and fun, but quickly forgotten
ACC - Mastif, noble and popular but not a dog people think of when they think of dogs
B1G - Golden Retriever, reliable, nice, good with kids
Big 12 - Chihuahua, agile, fast, always begging for attention
Pac 12- Lab, helps disabled people and can still run with the best
SEC - German Shepard, loyal and hard working
notsureifserious.jpg

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
RutgersAl has finally lost it.

We are going to beat Rutgers by at least 2 TDs in week one. From everything I've read their pass defense is atrocious. Connor Halliday is going to have a field day with 4 TDs and 400+ yards. Vince Mayle will be the star WR with 150 yards and 2 TDs.

Limedust

mre said:
Fucking Charter.

Charter and U-Verse are the land line options in upstate SC. I wouldn't mind switching back to Charter just to go on a deal again, but not until they get on board.

Tanner1495 said:
Plus I was getting very little financial aid if I decided to go to Vandy, at UA I'm pretty set.

Welcome. This was the case back in my college days. I was accepted to the GT school of engineering, but UA offered all of the financial support.

Lonestar said:
Your probably right, it might be charter instead of comcast. I admit to getting the 2 confused.

I always thought Comcast and Charter were two divisions of the same company.

mre said:

Congratulations! You didn't get married during spring practice, fall practice, or the football season. Everything else is secondary.

andycapps

I heard that some people already have Leonard Fournette on a preseason Heisman watch list for the SEC. For those unfamiliar, this is a true freshman RB that came to LSU this year and has yet to play a college down. Granted, he was a monster in HS and comes in as the #1 RB recruit in the class.

So he's highly recruited, but has yet to even put on pads in practice and some people are mentioning him as being a contender for the Heisman. 'Crootin obsession has gone too far.

KingGondo

Banned
I heard that some people already have Leonard Fournette on a preseason Heisman watch list for the SEC. For those unfamiliar, this is a true freshman RB that came to LSU this year and has yet to play a college down. Granted, he was a monster in HS and comes in as the #1 RB recruit in the class.

So he's highly recruited, but has yet to even put on pads in practice and some people are mentioning him as being a contender for the Heisman. 'Crootin obsession has gone too far.
99% of preseason punditry is idiotic.

The 1% exception being punditry that compliments OSU. That's some good shit right there.

ESPN also has him in the list of the top 100 current CFB players. How can anyone make a list without playing a down?
#93 on the list

andycapps

99% of preseason punditry is idiotic.

The 1% exception being punditry that compliments OSU. That's some good shit right there.

Oh of course, if it benefits your team, why complain?

ESPN also has him in the list of the top 100 current CFB players. How can anyone make a list without playing a down?
#93 on the list

I know. Related to that, I saw him in the list they posted for the top 25 SEC players, he's around 21 I think. But hasn't played a down.

Just imagine what would happen if the recruiting services and the internet were around when Bo Jackson and Herschel Walker were coming out of highschool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom