• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draxal

If it did, bye bye yearly games with Georgia Tech/Georgia, FSU/Florida, USCe/Clempson, etc.

I don't see 16 team conferences any time soon. I think they've stalled it at least for a few years. There doesn't seem to be any incentive for the SEC to up it's conference game schedule until there is no choice.

SEC isn't expanding unless Texas or North Carolina moves.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Kentucky's new QB has reported for duty:

dUNmZ03.jpg

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
According to his twitter feed, Devonte Fields is transferring to Stephen F. Austin. That's right, the Big XII preseason defensive player of the year will actually be in the FCS Southland Conference for the 2014 season.

Field's twitter account said:
Just wanted to say thanks to TCU for the opportunity! Anxious to start a new chapter of life at SFA!! #Stillreppinpurple! #Blessed #Newstart

As a bonus, SFA plays TCU in 2015. I highly doubt he'll still be around for that, though, as he'll be eligible for the NFL draft after 2014.

Also, word is Baker Mayfield's family has hired attorney Jim Darnell to take on the NCAA. Guess his appeal to be eligible this year didn't go as well as they planned. I bring it up only because this is the picture Darnell uses on his website -

JimHomePic.png

According to his twitter feed, Devonte Fields is transferring to Stephen F. Austin. That's right, the Big XII preseason defensive player of the year will actually be in the FCS Southland Conference for the 2014 season.

As a bonus, SFA plays TCU in 2015. I highly doubt he'll still be around for that, though, as he'll be eligible for the NFL draft after 2014.

Yikes, and SFA is supposed to suck this year. DCTF predicts SFA will finish 9th out of 11 teams in the Southland conference. Their first game this year is against a Big 12 team (K-State). Should be a blood bath

JimHomePic.png

Didn't Manziel use an attorney from El Paso that looked similar?

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Yikes, and SFA is supposed to suck this year. DCTF predicts SFA will finish 9th out of 11 teams in the Southland conference. Their first game this year is against a Big 12 team (K-State). Should be a blood bath

http://www.jdarnell.com/Images/JimHomePic.png[IMG]

Didn't Manziel use an attorney from El Paso that looked similar?[/QUOTE]

Probably. You know as well as I do that there are about a billion similar attorneys across the state.

Schlookum

Neo Member

Also, word is Baker Mayfield's family has hired attorney Jim Darnell to take on the NCAA. Guess his appeal to be eligible this year didn't go as well as they planned. I bring it up only because this is the picture Darnell uses on his website -

JimHomePic.png

Is that Champ Kind? WHAAAMMMYYY!

andycapps

JimHomePic.png

Didn't Manziel use an attorney from El Paso that looked similar?

Doesn't every attorney from Texas wear a big ass Stetson? But yeah, I do remember someone posting a picture of a guy that had a cowboy hat on.

A preseason defensive player of the year? That's a new one for me.

Yeah, they have until the Power 5 wants to expand the postseason when they (the NCAA) don't want to. Then they break away.

I don't think the "have not's" should be too concerned. When the power 5 create their own 16 team playoff, I'm sure at least 1* team outside the power conference autonomy will be given a spot in the playoff bracket.

* If they are undefeated, and if they have an SOS of ~50 or better.

I don't think the "have not's" should be too concerned. When the power 5 create their own 16 team playoff, I'm sure at least 1* team outside the power conference autonomy will be given a spot in the playoff bracket.

* If they are undefeated, and if they have an SOS of ~50 or better.

Or they just play for the scrub championship. Can't wait to watch SDSU versus ULL for the Mid Major National Title.

bachikarn

Yeah, they have until the Power 5 wants to expand the postseason when they (the NCAA) don't want to. Then they break away.

Someone explain to me why people say the Power 5 would break free from the NCAA. Aren't most NCAA officials people from the Power conferences? I don't really see what breaking free from the NCAA would do.

mre

Someone explain to me why people say the Power 5 would break free from the NCAA. Aren't most NCAA officials people from the Power conferences? I don't really see what breaking free from the NCAA would do.
The NCAA Board of Directors has 4 members (out of 18) from a power 5 conference: Cal, USCe, Sparty, and Wake Forest. See: http://web1.ncaa.org/committees/committees_roster.jsp?CommitteeName=BOARD

Edit: 5 members from power 5 conferences, since I suppose "technically" Kansas State is in the Big "Twelve."

Also, I think we found one of the two "no" votes:
FBS Member President John C. Hitt University of Central Florida American Athletic Conference AUG 2017

:jnc

FyreWulff

They'd finally just get to outright acknowledge it as the nfl-minors it is than the "student athlete" sham it is now

mre

Dartmouth and Delaware voted no, UCF got backstabbed by their own president.
Oh, man. Maybe he thinks UCF can bootstrap its way into a power 5 conference, so by voting to give them autonomy, he's actually voting for an improved (eventual) future for UCF?

Draxal

Oh, man. Maybe he thinks UCF can bootstrap its way into a power 5 conference, so by voting to give them autonomy, he's actually voting for an improved (eventual) future for UCF?

Well the G5 are actually aligned with the P5 kinda (not 100%).

There's also really six schools that can make into a P5 conference (UCF being one of them). He's not going to vote no on this issue and piss off the conference that he's trying to enter (the Big 12)

BYU (which would already be in one if it wasn't for obvious issues)/Cinci/UCF/Uconn and to a lesser extent Houston/USF are the schools that will probably have a seat when this all lends.

Hitt is just the rep and ultimately represents the American. He has been a great president and has put UCF in a good position.

As long as the conference has the ability to match directives the other conferences do, this will be somewhat workable. Which we plan on and are capable of doing...

The only conference losing standing in all of this is the American. The rest of the G5 are getting more than they are used to. Of course they will go along with it.

Now if only these teams will schedule UCF... Nobody wants to play us in 2015.

As a fan of a FCS football team (we exist!), this is actually may be pretty decent news. This makes the difference between FCS and the non-Power 5 much less so we should probably start seeing better recruits. It's not like we were fighting with Power 5 teams for recruits anyway.

With regards to the American, I think it's eventually going to be included with the Power 5 (or 6 I guess). There's a lot of potential in that conference and the top of that conference is already pretty darn good (ECU, UCF, Cinci and Houston can all make some noise this year).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom