• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 12: the Valley Shook, the Plains Ran Dry, and Sparty Clempsoned

Status
Not open for further replies.

C4Lukins

Dammit TCU was 10/1 yesterday. :(

So beating both Arizona schools got UCLA to #11.. Lol

Who would have thought Miss. State, TCU, Arizona State, and Baylor would make up 4 of the top 7, at this point in the season? This is so much more fun then the BCS bull shit.

And not a single one of the Bama fans here will bitch about it. If we beat MSU, Auburn, and the East Champion, we're in. If not, we don't deserve to be in. So, congratulations on getting to gloat, I guess?

Pretty much. We are a lock if we win the rest of the way.

If we shit the bed, we'll get blown out by some team in a bowl game, that will be overrated the next year.

C4Lukins

And not a single one of the Bama fans here will bitch about it. If we beat MSU, Auburn, and the East Champion, we're in. If not, we don't deserve to be in. So, congratulations on getting to gloat, I guess?

Yeah Alabama controls their own destiny. With TCU that is not the case.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Who would have thought Miss. State, TCU, Arizona State, and Baylor would make up 4 of the top 7, at this point in the season? This is so much more fun then the BCS bull shit.
This has nothing to do with the BCS... those 4 teams are having good seasons. Guess, what? They'd be ranked high in the BCS poll as well. Look at the SID Poll. Same teams make up the top of the rankings, with the exception of OSU sneaking into 7 with ASU ranked 8th.

The committee isn't giving you anything wildly different than what the BCS system would have given you.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!

Not gloating as much happy with the top 4,outside of FSU, who I think is a solid top 10 team, but not a top 4,of course that is splitting hairs any way. At this point, subbing out FSU for Ohio St and putting them at 4 instead of 3 would reflect how the ratings should go, respective of how teams are playing now, in my opinion.

C4Lukins

This has nothing to do with the BCS... those 4 teams are having good seasons. Guess, what? They'd be ranked high in the BCS poll as well. Look at the SID Poll. Same teams make up the top of the rankings, with the exception of OSU sneaking into 7 with ASU ranked 8th.

The committee isn't giving you anything wildly different than what the BCS system would have given you.

I am not talking about where they are ranked. Just that at this point in the season we are looking at maybe 8 teams to still be excited about instead of 2 to 4 as far as getting to the championship games.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Not gloating as much happy with the top 4,outside of FSU, who I think is a solid top 10 team, but not a top 4,of course that is splitting hairs any way. At this point, subbing out FSU for Ohio St and putting them at 4 instead of 3 would reflect how the ratings should go, respective of how teams are playing now, in my opinion.
OSU need serious help from the teams above them to get in.

I guess it also helps TCU that Minnesota is ranked. I don't care if Baylor and TCU win out, giving the B12 title to Baylor, TCU deserves in the playoffs over them. Also of note....5 B1G teams are ranked, while only three Big 12 teams are ranked.

It'll be interesting if they decide to factor in conference championships for the last ranking. They shouldn't though.

Is there a site where I can compare stats between two teams?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I think it is weird that Oregon jumped us but eh, as long as we stay top 4 who really gives a fuck. There is like no advantage to seeds at this point.

I think it is weird that Oregon jumped us but eh, as long as we stay top 4 who really gives a fuck. There is like no advantage to seeds at this point.

Being an undefeated champion doesn't get far with this committee for some reason. I'm not a FSU fan and I don't think they're a Top 4 team, but I do think they should still be #1 until they're beaten. As for Oregon, I think the committee got a whole bunch of Nike gear in return for their services.

Talon

Being an undefeated champion doesn't get far with this committee for some reason. I'm not a FSU fan and I don't think they're a Top 4 team, but I do think they should still be #1 until they're beaten. As for Oregon, I think the committee got a whole bunch of Nike gear in return for their services.
Oregon has a more impressive resume and went on the road and smashed another ranked opponent.

Shit will sort itself out over the next four weeks - always has.

Talon

Outside of about three seasons, we've gotten two teams that clearly put themselves above the others.

The other three seasons (off the top of my head, '03, '06, '11), there were only three teams that were in the discussion.

Considering we're going into a four team playoff, yeah - always.

Draxal

I would put FSU over Oregon, and I will disagree with Talon; tOSU is very legit, putting that amount of points on Rutgers and the others one thing, but putting it on Narduzzi's defense is pretty strong.

Talon

I would put FSU over Oregon, and I will disagree with Talon; tOSU is very legit, putting that amount of points on Rutgers and the others one thing, but putting it on Narduzzi's defense is pretty strong.
tOSU needs a lot of help to pull into the top 4 because its schedule is so garbage.

Michigan State's the first ranked team it played all season. Minnesota's the only other regular season team on its schedule that has a chance of being ranked by the end of the season. Compare that to the teams around it with one loss, and they all have at least three victories against ranked teams, while the Buckeyes have feasted on Navy, Kent State, Cincy, Maryland, Rutgers, Penn State, and Illinois.

It's not the Buckeyes fault that the B1G is so garbage right now, but it affects the team's resume compared to other 1-loss teams.

They're going to roll into selection time, best case, having beaten two ranked teams in Michigan State and Nebraska.

I guess it also helps TCU that Minnesota is ranked. I don't care if Baylor and TCU win out, giving the B12 title to Baylor, TCU deserves in the playoffs over them. Also of note....5 B1G teams are ranked, while only three Big 12 teams are ranked.

I don't understand this. Why TCU over Baylor? Is that win over Minnesota better than a win over TCU? Makes zero sense, especially if both win out.

jjasper

Really funny Marshal isnt in the top 25 playoff again. Not even giving them a token victory. Would it hurt them to put them at like 23 or something lol

Pretty sure if Marshall is in the top 25 they are guaranteed a spot in the new year's bowls which is why they will not be making an appearance this year.

Piggus

That depends on how you feel FSU matches up to Oregon vs TCU or Mississippi State/Alabama.

Personally I don't think we would have very much trouble with FSU compared to Mississippi/Alabama or TCU. So I'd be quite happy if Oregon and FSU stay in 2nd or 3rd.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
That depends on how you feel FSU matches up to Oregon vs TCU or Mississippi State/Alabama.

Personally I don't think we would have very much trouble with FSU compared to Mississippi/Alabama or TCU. So I'd be quite happy if Oregon and FSU stay in 2nd or 3rd.

I meant mostly for us. I think Bama would thwomp us and we have a shot against Oregon and TCU.

I do think if we make it we are out in the first round, but eh, would still be cool.

Talon

It's going to be so hilarious to see the shit hit the fan when Mispsisisi State loses two of their final three games.
I really think it's going to be:

FSU
Oregon
Bama
TCU

But, again, we'll probably have a Backyard Brawl style head scratcher in the next month.

george_us

These CFP rankings make even less sense than they did last week. They might as well make the AP and Coaches' Polls relevant if the CFP Committee is going to fuck up the rankings this badly.

Archie Manning was smart to pull out of the committee, no matter the reason. lol

Has any defense pressured Dak Prescott all year? I'm hoping we can do that this week.

GAF Pick'em Week 12 Games

(THU) ECU @ Cincinnati by 8
Clemson @ Georgia Tech by 5
Virginia Tech @ Duke by 4
Pittsburgh @ North Carolina by 5
Mississippi State @ Alabama by 7
Nebraska @ Wisconsin by 5
Washington @ Arizona by 8
Utah @ Stanford by 10
Auburn @ Georgia by 4
Texas @ Oklahoma State by 4
Florida State @ Miami by 10
LSU @ Arkansas by 7

Despite being in the top 4, FSU are the weakest of the top 4.

Miss State are the most complete team in the top 4 IMO.

Would like to see TCU v Oregon - would be a 120pt game!

I don't understand this. Why TCU over Baylor? Is that win over Minnesota better than a win over TCU? Makes zero sense, especially if both win out.
If it was a neutral site, I would put Baylor over TCU. Conventional thinking is the home team plays 10 points better at home than away. Baylor's 3pt victory in Waco doesn't convince me Baylor is a better team than TCU. If Baylor got the win over TCU in Ft. Worth or a neutral site, or if Baylor won at home by 10+ points then I would be convinced Baylor is better.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

We'll see what happens after Minnesota plays Ohio State, Nebraska, and Wisconsin to finish out the season. If you take out the TCU game, Minnesota has not only not played any teams that are currently ranked, they didn't even play any teams that were ranked at the time that they played them. I'd say the most likely outcome for Minnesota is no more wins for the rest of the season. I'll be surprised if they end up as a favorite in any remaining game.

It's not like TCU has some great shining example of a non-conference schedule, anyway, outside of the Minnesota difference; the rest of their OOC schedule is just as bad as Baylor's (which has been a national joke).

• Both TCU and Baylor played SMU, which is probably the worst team in the entirety of FBS.
  • Baylor v Northwestern State and TCU v Samford cancel out due to both being FCS.
  • Both play the same remaining schedule due to the Big XII round robin schedule.
Are we really going to disregard head-to-head based on the strength of Minnesota versus Buffalo?

I still think that, assuming both go undefeated, the playoff spot will be dependent on what Baylor does to KSU to close the season.

Despite being in the top 4, FSU are the weakest of the top 4.

I think FSU this season is lucky that FSU last season won a title, because otherwise I'm not sure they'd be ranked as high as they are.

If it was a neutral site, I would put Baylor over TCU. Conventional thinking is the home team plays 10 points better at home than away. Baylor's 3pt victory in Waco doesn't convince me Baylor is a better team than TCU. If Baylor got the win over TCU in Ft. Worth or a neutral site, or if Baylor won at home by 10+ points then I would be convinced Baylor is better.

Yep, I agree. TCU is ahead of Baylor for me as well because they were playing at home and got back into the game when TCU started taking their foot off it.

If the game was played tomorrow at a neutral site, I would put my house on TCU.

I think FSU this season is lucky that FSU last season won a title, because otherwise I'm not sure they'd be ranked as high as they are.

Yep. If they had not won the championship last year, I doubt they would be in the top 4 even if they were undefeated. Personally, I would put money on any Power 5 one loss team to beat them at the moment.

I have actually picked Miami to beat them this week.

It's going to be so hilarious to see the shit hit the fan when Mispsisisi State loses two of their final three games.

This isn't really hilarious at all unless Alabama also loses to Auburn.

Yep. If they had not won the championship last year, I doubt they would be in the top 4 even if they were undefeated. Personally, I would put money on any Power 5 one loss team to beat them at the moment.

I have actually picked Miami to beat them this week.

would you actually put money on Duke over Florida State :p

AntoneM

ASU has played 6 ranked teams (when we played them). If we win out and AZ and Oregon hold up, we would be 12-1 with wins over 7 ranked teams when we played them. You can't put Ohio State in front of that, you just can't.

desh

These CFP rankings make even less sense than they did last week. They might as well make the AP and Coaches' Polls relevant if the CFP Committee is going to fuck up the rankings this badly.

What are you specifically taking issue with?

desh

I think you want to say that you would put TCU over Baylor.

andycapps

Have we heard if Clempson's QB is actually ready to go in terms of throwing? I know he's been out a while, but I've yet to hear if he is actually healthy with his hand vs just pushing him out there to play.
That's a good question that I'm too lazy to look up the answer to. Is Cole Stoudt starting or Watson.

Kevtones

ASU has a great resume. Their eye test isn't perfect and their loss is troubling but they've got great wins.

ASU blew out Notre Dame at home
UCLA blew out ASU on the road
Oregon blew out UCLA on the road

I think this is big, actually. I don't really know that Oregon should be #2 over FSU but it's a bit irrelevant at the moment. The respect is cool.

If all the non-SEC teams win out I would expect the following:

1. SEC
2. FSU
3. Oregon
4. Baylor
5. TCU
6. Ohio State
7. SEC
8. ASU
9. SEC
10. SEC

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I think the committee is considering that ASU had a QB that was starting his first game.
Doubtful, more likely that they have to make room for the SEC teams in front of them. They aren't a traditional power, nor a force of the last decade, as in Oregon. So, their record and the fact that the team that beat them is top 15 doesn't get as much sway.

HeySeuss

That's a pretty unsexy top 4. Bet the TV execs don't like that. Do any of those teams travel well? Maybe Oregon since they're on the west coast and TCU if they played in the Cotton Bowl.

It'd be a pretty bad thing if there were empty sections of the first playoff games. I know they'd fill the seats any way they could but still

Kevtones

If Grasu isn't done for the year I think Oregon takes it. Secret sauce is if Oregon get their #1 WR back (Addison). Guy might've been the best skill position player for them in 2013.

That's a pretty unsexy top 4. Bet the TV execs don't like that. Do any of those teams travel well? Maybe Oregon since they're on the west coast and TCU if they played in the Cotton Bowl.

It'd be a pretty bad thing if there were empty sections of the first playoff games. I know they'd fill the seats any way they could but still

You do Oregon has a huge brand pull, right? There was some report in some magazine by some guy in some non-comic sans font that talked about it. Swear to G.

C4Lukins

ASU has played 6 ranked teams (when we played them). If we win out and AZ and Oregon hold up, we would be 12-1 with wins over 7 ranked teams when we played them. You can't put Ohio State in front of that, you just can't.

No I do not think anyone would dismiss ASU at that point. If ASU wins out I think they are in. Same with Oregon.

I think there is going to be one 1 loss team or better in the SEC when all is said and done. Florida State obviously will take another spot. And then the one loss team from the PAC and a one loss team from the Big 12 will fill up the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom