• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 12: the Valley Shook, the Plains Ran Dry, and Sparty Clempsoned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Even with the head to head result, it's reasonable to keep TCU ahead of Baylor even if you think there isn't much separation between them.

The fact that TCU had a 21-point lead in Waco in the fourth quarter carries more weight with me than the fact that they blew it.

That is laughable.

KingGondo

Banned
That is laughable.
Two terrible PI calls also played a major role in Baylor's comeback.

Both are great teams. But acting like one game that came down to the end is some kind of end-all be-all test of which team is more deserving is silly.

It'll probably be sorted out on the field anyways. Wouldn't be surprised if one of those teams loses one of their remaining games.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
The fact that TCU had a 21-point lead in Waco in the fourth quarter carries more weight with me than the fact that they blew it.

a8tHozh.gif

But acting like one game that came down to the end is some kind of end-all be-all test of which team is more deserving is silly.

Makes a lot more sense to use that game as the deciding factor than it does to use a game from 4 weeks earlier against a non common opponent.

At this point they only have two common opponents, OU and WVU, meaning style points for the rest of the season are really going to matter, meaning Baylor is going to beat Tech by 500.

Meier

I'm pretty much indifferent about it -- we just need to keep winning. Miami is playing well right now but I think we'll win pretty convincingly. We'll see how things work themselves out.. Mississippi State has not looked like a #1 ranked team and I'd be absolutely gobsmacked if Bama doesn't beat them this weekend. Will they jump to #1? Wouldn't surprise me.

Does anyone really care where their team ends up in the top 4 as long as they make the top 4?

It's not like a four-team playoff really gives the one-ranked team a huge advantage or anything. This isn't March Madness.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Does anyone really care where their team ends up in the top 4 as long as they make the top 4?

It's not like a four-team playoff really gives the one-ranked team a huge advantage or anything. This isn't March Madness.
Baylor and TCU probably aren't both making it.

KingGondo

Banned
Makes a lot more sense to use that game as the deciding factor than it does to use a game from 4 weeks earlier against a non common opponent.

At this point they only have two common opponents, OU and WVU, meaning style points for the rest of the season are really going to matter, meaning Baylor is going to beat Tech by 500.
If I were on the playoff committee, the fact that TCU actually played someone in non-conference play and Baylor beat up on nobodies would override the fact that Baylor managed a ref-aided miraculous comeback against TCU at home.

We need to fix this sport, and penalizing cupcake schedules harshly would go a long way toward that.

JCX

Yeah it'd only really matter if the higher seed got to play at home, but that will never happen.

I think we're realistically looking at a top 4 of Florida State, Duke, Miami, and Clemson.

I mean, you consider that one of Clemson's losses was against a team playing someone who should have been ineligible, and the other loss was against a team playing a backup (and we know that games with backups don't count), then they're practically undefeated.

KingGondo

Banned
If Baylor had just played shitty major conference opponents like Illinois or Syracuse I'd probably pick them over TCU. But SMU, Northwestern State and Buffalo is an insultingly soft non-conference schedule.

Yaboosh said:
Baylor would be majorly screwed if they got stepped over for tcu.
Well maybe they should have scheduled somebody better than Buffalo out of conference.

Those wins are utterly meaningless.

andycapps

At the end of the day, the SEC will have one, and only one, representative.

Yep.

Yeah but they are both on control of their own shit.

Baylor would be majorly screwed if they got stepped over for tcu.

Similar to FSU screwing Miami who would have screwed Washington.

It's true, but any of this talk is still pretty irrelevant until the season plays out. I mean, it's interesting to talk about but we all know that Bama and Miss State won't both be in the playoffs. Maybe neither will be. Nobody knows yet.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
If Baylor had just played shitty major conference opponents like Illinois or Syracuse I'd probably pick them over TCU. But SMU, Northwestern State and Buffalo is an insultingly soft non-conference schedule.

Well maybe they should have scheduled somebody better than Buffalo out of conference.

Those wins are utterly meaningless.

TCU should totally be commended for scheduling a powerhouse Minnesota team.

Draxal

Ten times stronger than Baylor's OOC.

TCU isn't an attractive OOC team for opponents to play, Win and it's only TCU, lose and it's a big deal, so they have a built in excuse as does Baylor; but TCU still scheduled a Minnesota team that has a winning record even with how weak the Big Ten is.

Miss State deserves as much as shit, but they do play in the strongest division and they do have that extra conference champ game (if they make it to the conf champ game).

KingGondo

Banned
First of all, Minnesota turned out to be pretty decent this year.

However, my criticism has less to do with Minnesota (who could at least conceivably put up a fight since they're a major conference program) than it does about Baylor scheduling SMU, Northwestern State, and Buffalo.

It's like in-his-prime Mike Tyson fighting some dude off the street.

Like I said though, I'd probably pick Baylor over TCU if they had simply scheduled a non-joke opponent out of conference.

Baylor should have scheduled Rutgers.

Speaking of out-of-conference, I don't think Duke is getting near as much respect as they should be for scheduling a P5 OOC game against Kansas and then taking them to the woodshed.

Top 5 or 6, committee. Blue Devils.

andycapps

Believe it when I see it.

Who else would get in? Assuming that the west representative wins the SECCG, they would pick a team for the playoff that didn't even appear in the conference championship? They'd pick the runner up from the east?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Who else would get in? Assuming that the west representative wins the SECCG, they would pick a team for the playoff that didn't even appear in the conference championship? They'd pick the runner up from the east?

Of course they would. If fsu loses it is guaranteed.

The SEC needs Alabama to win a close one against Mississippi State and then let the chips fall where they may. They might get 2, might just get 1, but an Alabama loss (or a blowout win) probably seals the deal for just 1 bid, and even that 1 bid could be in jeopardy if the teams fall flat in the rivalry games and/or the SEC CCG.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The SEC needs Alabama to win a close one against Mississippi State and then let the chips fall where they may. They might get 2, might just get 1, but an Alabama loss (or a blowout win) probably seals the deal for just 1 bid, and even that 1 bid could be in jeopardy if the teams fall flat in the rivalry games and/or the SEC CCG.

Alabama winning out or Mississippi State losing to Georgia and FSU losing means SECSECSEC.

That feels super likely to me.

Alabama winning out or Mississippi State losing to Georgia and FSU losing means SECSECSEC.

That feels super likely to me.

If Florida State loses, the committee would probably do something stupid like put Ohio State in the top 4 or something. We might joke around a bit in here, but nobody wants to see that. College football is serious.

cdyhybrid

I'm just glad I don't have to stress out about whether my team is going to be able to get into the playoffs. Sucks for you guys!

KingGondo

Banned
Baylor should have scheduled Rutgers.
As sad as it is to say, this would have been sufficient for me.

Monroeski said:
Well maybe TCU shouldn't give up 24 unanswered points in a single quarter.
I've explained my position. It's clear from the Baylor-TCU game that they're approximately as good as each other. They were separated by 3 points in Waco, and I suspect TCU would be favored in Fort Worth.

The rest of their schedule is virtually identical except for one glaring exception: TCU played a major conference team out of conference and Baylor played three small-time, terrible teams. All they had to do was schedule one non-joke opponent and I'd be on the Baylor bandwagon (as far as getting into the playoff goes, but I hope they crash and burn there because Fuck Baylor).

mre said:
Hey, you can thank Gondo for that.
Now THAT was a true example of a team getting screwed over.

Draxal

I'm just glad I don't have to stress out about whether my team is going to be able to get into the playoffs. Sucks for you guys!

Rutgers fan dilemma is that 6-6 is the worst possible record for us to have this year, and it looks like a near certainty. Ir sucks.

Piggus

At the end of the day, the SEC will have one, and only one, representative.

Or none! It's entirely possible that there won't be a one-loss or undefeated team in the SEC, and that will be an issue for the SEC since clearly the committee isn't sucking their dick the way the AP does.

One can only dream of such a hilarious scenario.

1 loss FSU would get over a 1 loss Miss St. Look at Miss State's OOC and compare it to FSU's.

Then they'd compare the "in conference" schedules and include Mississippi State.

Florida State cannot lose. They lose, they're done. I mean, they're undefeated and they've already slipped to 3. They have no margin for error. Whether they're replaced by an SEC team or somebody else, they'll be out and likely not even close.

Draxal

Then they'd compare the "in conference" schedules and include Mississippi State.

Florida State cannot lose. They lose, they're done. I mean, they're undefeated and they've already slipped to 3. They have no margin for error. Whether they're replaced by an SEC team or somebody else, they'll be out and likely not even close.

I think FSU slipping to 3 was the stupidest thing ever, so I'm in agreement here. ND shitting the bed against ASU really screwed you guys (you meaning ACCACCACC).

Or none! It's entirely possible that there won't be a one-loss or undefeated team in the SEC, and that will be an issue for the SEC since clearly the committee isn't sucking their dick the way the AP does.

One can only dream of such a hilarious scenario.

They finally beat Obama and then get shut out of the CFB Playoff.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Like I said though, I'd probably pick Baylor over TCU if they had simply scheduled a non-joke opponent out of conference.

The rest of their schedule is virtually identical except for one glaring exception: TCU played a major conference team out of conference and Baylor played three small-time, terrible teams. All they had to do was schedule one non-joke opponent and I'd be on the Baylor bandwagon (as far as getting into the playoff goes, but I hope they crash and burn there because Fuck Baylor).

The answer to "fix" college football isn't to disregard the actual results of an on the field contest because of sour grapes.

This isn't a case where, say, Missouri wins the SEC East but you put a team in from the SEC West over them because Missouri got to dodge Mississippi State, Alabama, Ole Miss, AND Auburn in their inter-divisional games. Give me a 2 loss 2nd place SEC West team over a 2 loss 1st place SEC East that only had to play A&M and Arkansas any day.

However, as you say, if you equate the two technically different FCS teams they played then Baylor and TCU played all exactly common opponents except for one set of games. You don't need to go all the way back to personal affronts and a week 3 matchup for a tie-breaker when they played 100% common opponents every week after that AND had a head to head matchup a month later.

I assumed it would be rescheduled for one day after whenever the MNC game is to be held. FSU must be confident that he'll skate through it.

In actuality, the newsflash I heard while listening to Le Batard said it had been delayed until after the national championship (it also said RB Karlos Williams was not going to be formally charged, as an aside). But the article has the Dec 1 date instead, so I'll assume the radio newsflash was in error.

I assumed it would be rescheduled for one day after whenever the MNC game is to be held. FSU must be confident that he'll skate through it.

"You may have been a very bad boy, so here is a reprimand, pls2nfl so we don't have to deal with you next year." is what I'm expecting out of the hearing.

That being said we can likely win the ACC title game w the backup QB and were going to get annihilated in the playoffs anyway. So bases covered!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom