• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 12: the Valley Shook, the Plains Ran Dry, and Sparty Clempsoned

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingGondo

Banned
Or, you know, just don't lose to an awful, awful Iowa State team.
Or, you know, just don't lose to LSU at home and lobby to play them again because "reasons."

I agree that Bama was the best team that year but do you realize how rare a real shot at the MNC is for my team? Let some other team get a shot for once! :)
The answer to "fix" college football isn't to disregard the actual results of an on the field contest because of sour grapes.
I'm not disregarding it, I'm giving the Baylor-TCU game the weight it deserves. At this point, a narrow loss in Waco in which you put up 58 points is as close as you can get to a "good" loss. I'm not an absolutist when it comes to wins and losses, as though losing that game somehow disqualifies TCU.

Like I said, it's apparent that both TCU and Baylor are really good, and their on the field contest indicates that they're very evenly-matched. It's also obvious that TCU would be a narrow favorite if the game were held in Fort Worth.

Baylor may in fact be better overall, but the evidence doesn't indicate to me that they clearly deserve a shot above TCU.

This isn't a case where, say, Missouri wins the SEC East but you put a team in from the SEC West over them because Missouri got to dodge Mississippi State, Alabama, Ole Miss, AND Auburn in their inter-divisional games. Give me a 2 loss 2nd place SEC West team over a 2 loss 1st place SEC East that only had to play A&M and Arkansas any day.

However, as you say, if you equate the two technically different FCS teams they played then Baylor and TCU played all exactly common opponents except for one set of games. You don't need to go all the way back to personal affronts and a week 3 matchup for a tie-breaker when they played 100% common opponents every week after that AND had a head to head matchup a month later.
My preference for TCU in this situation isn't sour grapes against Baylor (although I do hate Baylor), it's simply a preference for a non-cupcake filled OOC schedule.

The reason for that preference is two-fold. First of all, as a fan of college football I prefer to see good games between good teams. Punishing weak OOC scheduling will help with this.

Secondly, if more teams play stronger OOC schedules, we'll have a better idea of which teams are actually deserving of a spot in the playoff. Baylor putting up 70 points on East Bumfuck State tells us absolutely nothing about how good they are.

Draxal

Logistics are actually a big deal as well for these sort of things. It's not as big a deal for a smaller stadium, but for the 70k+ it's kinda hard to schedule these things.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
My preference for TCU in this situation isn't sour grapes against Baylor (although I do hate Baylor), it's simply a preference for a non-cupcake filled OOC schedule.

The reason for that preference is two-fold. First of all, as a fan of college football I prefer to see good games between good teams. Punishing weak OOC scheduling will help with this.

Secondly, if more teams play stronger OOC schedules, we'll have a better idea of which teams are actually deserving of a spot in the playoff. Baylor putting up 70 points on East Bumfuck State tells us absolutely nothing about how good they are.

Of your two reasons, #1 is essentially sour grapes (because you just "prefer" to see good games) and #2 is an argument for comparison of OOC schedules across different conferences, not within a single conference. You don't need Baylor's OOC schedule to determine who is more "actually deserving" between them and TCU because they play each other and literally share 10 of their 12 opponents.

Buffalo being their strongest OOC opponent should be a reason you keep Baylor out of the playoff in favor of Arizona State (beat Notre Dame) or Oregon (beat Michigan State) or Alabama (beat West Virginia), not a team in their own conference who they actually beat on the field.

Draxal

Of your two reasons, #1 is essentially sour grapes (because you just "prefer" to see good games) and #2 is an argument for comparison of OOC schedules across different conferences, not within a single conference. You don't need Baylor's OOC schedule to determine who is more "actually deserving" between them and TCU because they play each other and literally share 10 of their 12 opponents.

Buffalo being their strongest OOC opponent should be a reason you keep Baylor out of the playoff in favor of Arizona State (beat Notre Dame) or Oregon (beat Michigan State) or Alabama (beat West Virginia), not a team in their own conference who they actually beat on the field.

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/frequently-asked-questions

How are the teams that go to the playoff determined?
The four teams that go to the College Football Playoff are determined by the College Football Playoff Selection Committee. The selection committee will choose the four teams for the playoff based on strength of schedule, head-to-head results against common opponents, championships won and other factors.

I mean the rankings agree with the metrics they are using. If the game was played on a neutral field or at TCU, I'd have much more sympathy to your cause ... but it wasn't.

Then they'd compare the "in conference" schedules and include Mississippi State.

Florida State cannot lose. They lose, they're done. I mean, they're undefeated and they've already slipped to 3. They have no margin for error. Whether they're replaced by an SEC team or somebody else, they'll be out and likely not even close.

I was thinking about this more.

A one loss FSU doesn't deserve in over a 1 loss Pac/Sec team. It deserves it over a 1 loss B12/B1G team. I don't think they're done after all.

KingGondo

Banned
Enjoying competitive, well-played football is "sour grapes"? What?

I'm arguing for Baylor being penalized for playing such a shitty schedule, not necessarily TCU being rewarded for scheduling Minnesota (traditionally a pretty weak opponent). TCU at least played and beat somebody with a pulse.

If Baylor had simply played a major conference opponent (I don't care if it's Wake Forest, Colorado, or Syracuse) then I would probably put them in over TCU at this point.

I simply don't think a 3-point loss in Waco in which TCU scored nearly 60 points should automatically put Baylor ahead of TCU.

If I were on the committee, I would want to send a message that playing a terrible OOC schedule will count against you when the teams are hard to distinguish.

Baylor's OOC schedule was offensive before the season and it only looks worse now.

I was thinking about this more.

A one loss FSU doesn't deserve in over a 1 loss Pac/Sec team. It deserves it over a 1 loss B12/B1G team. I don't think they're done after all.

They're undefeated and third, they're clearly not getting much benefit of the doubt now and would get none at all with a loss. And to be honest, I couldn't argue for it.

I also find it difficult to say a team deserves anything when they've lost a game. I don't care who it is or how many slots are open, if you've lost and you get invited to the playoff anyway, you've been given a gift that you haven't earned. Enjoy and make the most of it. For those not invited, don't cry about it, because you had one job (win every game) and you didn't do it. If Florida State loses, they deserve nothing.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Or, you know, just don't lose to LSU at home and lobby to play them again because "reasons."

I agree that Bama was the best team that year but do you realize how rare a real shot at the MNC is for my team? Let some other team get a shot for once! :)
Nope, sorry. We're greedy. All for us.

Balphon

Nope, sorry. We're greedy. All for us.

TKH42Rd.jpg

In actuality, the newsflash I heard while listening to Le Batard said it had been delayed until after the national championship (it also said RB Karlos Williams was not going to be formally charged, as an aside). But the article has the Dec 1 date instead, so I'll assume the radio newsflash was in error.
LeBatard was probably trollin.

(THU) ECU @ Cincinnati by 10
Clemson @ Georgia Tech by 17
Virginia Tech @ Duke by 14
Pittsburgh @ North Carolina by 4
Mississippi State @ Alabama by 4 (no idea)
Nebraska @ Wisconsin by 4
Washington @ Arizona by 14
Utah @ Stanford by 10
Auburn @ Georgia by 7 #yolo
Texas @ Oklahoma State by 7
Florida State @ Miami by 14
LSU @ Arkansas by 10

LeBatard was probably trollin.

no.
the hearing is delayed to december 1st, which if i heard right is the last day of classes at FSU before finals.

the verdict can't be reached until class resumes from fall break, jan 13 at the earliest.

regardless of the fact that jeameis will be cleared, it's pretty evident that the only 'bias' out there is the one squarely aimed at FSU, and in particular jameis. how a defending national champion that hasn't lost in nearly two years not only manages to lose its top spot, but another and fall to 3rd despite being undefeated, is laughable.

fsu will finish #1 and be first 15-0 team in CFB history. the committee can ponder on that.

Sotha_Sil

If Baylor had simply played a major conference opponent (I don't care if it's Wake Forest, Colorado, or Syracuse) then I would probably put them in over TCU at this point.

I like some of the things you say, but this is one of the most disagreeable statements I've ever read.

Beating a 2-7 (0-5) Wake Forest team would magically place Baylor over TCU for you? Even worse, just because they are from a power conference (when there's plenty of better non-power conference teams out there)?

Saw some guy post this in the Tosh.0 thread about ESPN. Thought you guys would find it funny.

The whole "Espn supports kids dying part is so true". Although that is also the average college football fan. Horrible, horrible people. Sports mean more than education to so many people. Spend two minutes in the CFB thread and you will hate yourself.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Clemson @ Georgia Tech by 5
Virginia Tech @ Duke by 18
Pittsburgh @ North Carolina by 7
Mississippi State @ Alabama by 14
Nebraska @ Wisconsin by 10
Washington @ Arizona by 8
Utah @ Stanford by 10
Auburn @ Georgia by 15
Texas @ Oklahoma State by 16
Florida State @ Miami by 6
LSU @ Arkansas by 20

Saw some guy post this in the Tosh.0 thread about ESPN. Thought you guys would find it funny.

lolwut

Jay Sosa

@FelixOrion: you forgot to pick a winner in the texas - okie state game

GAF Pick'em Week 12 Games

Clemson @ Georgia Tech by 4
Virginia Tech @ Duke by 4
Mississippi State @ Alabama by 4
Washington @ Arizona by 10
Utah @ Stanford by 6
Auburn @ Georgia by 10
Texas @ Oklahoma State by 6
LSU @ Arkansas by 6

ulua

if someone thinks this thread is bad/makes them hate themselves/etc., than they obviously have never read the comment section of ESPN articles/most college football websites. from what conversation i've been a part of here so far, everyone seems to keep it civil (although it seems like everyone bands together for a common "hatred" of georgia tech which i find hilarious)

PICK EMS

Damn. Tricky slate of games. Could see about 8 of these going the other way.

ECU @ Cincinnati by 10
Clemson @ Georgia Tech by 7
Virginia Tech @ Duke by 11
Pittsburgh @ North Carolina by 5
Mississippi State @ Alabama by 6
Washington @ Arizona by 9
Utah @ Stanford by 7
Auburn @ Georgia by 12
Texas @ Oklahoma State by 7
Florida State @ Miami by 25
LSU @ Arkansas by 8

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Cincinnati by 6
Clemson by 9
Duke by 8
North Carolina by 4
Alabama by 6
Nebraska 5
Arizona by 6
Utah 7
Georgia by 5
Texas by 9
Miami by 4
Arkansas by 7

andycapps

if someone thinks this thread is bad/makes them hate themselves/etc., than they obviously have never read the comment section of ESPN articles/most college football websites. from what conversation i've been a part of here so far, everyone seems to keep it civil (although it seems like everyone bands together for a common "hatred" of georgia tech which i find hilarious)

Well of course I do. I think everybody else just eggs on yellowjacket because of the reactions they get.

It's fine since they deserve it.

I really don't understand how people are selecting Miami over FSU. I mean, who has Miami beaten this year? Probably their best win is against Duke. But they lost to Louisville handily and were throttled by Georgia's worst football team, Tech. Not to mention losing to Nebraska. Meanwhile, they've notched some impressive wins against Arkansas St, Florida A&M, and Cincinnati. This team, like all other teams based in Miami, is laughably overrated and while FSU has not wowed this year, they have risen to the occasion. This game is not going to be close and will serve as a warmup game for FSU's demolition of the Gators two weeks from now.

Schmitty

(THU) ECU @ Cincinnati by 6
Clemson @ Georgia Tech by 10
Virginia Tech @ Duke by 8
Mississippi State @ Alabama by 4
Washington @ Arizona by 10
Utah @ Stanford by 4 early celebrations
Auburn @ Georgia by 4
Texas @ Oklahoma State by 4
LSU @ Arkansas by 6

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

It's right there in the Alabama fight song!

So is the Rose Bowl :/

Clemson @ Georgia Tech by 2
Virginia Tech @ Duke by 10
Pittsburgh @ North Carolina by 5
Mississippi State @ Alabama by 6
Washington @ Arizona by 14
Utah @ Stanford by 7
Auburn @ Georgia by 10
Texas @ Oklahoma State by 14
Florida State @ Miami by 8
LSU @ Arkansas by 18

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
INCOMING WALL OF TEXT

I PROMISE I'M NOT PRISTINE

Enjoying competitive, well-played football is "sour grapes"? What?

I say it's "sour grapes" because personal opinions of what is enjoyable doesn't actually mean that something is better or worse. If team A is undefeated and won all of their games 77-70, and team B is undefeated and won all of their games 3-0, the decision on which one gets in shouldn't be about whether you "prefer" watching a high scoring team or a low scoring team, it should be about actual factors that mean something in a game, like, I don't know, an actual win on the field for one over the other.

I'm arguing for Baylor being penalized for playing such a shitty schedule, not necessarily TCU being rewarded for scheduling Minnesota (traditionally a pretty weak opponent). TCU at least played and beat somebody with a pulse.

You're also essentially arguing for Baylor to be penalized for what amounts to a coin flip determining that the game against TCU was in Waco this year.
I simply don't think a 3-point loss in Waco in which TCU scored nearly 60 points should automatically put Baylor ahead of TCU.
If I were on the committee, I would want to send a message that playing a terrible OOC schedule will count against you when the teams are hard to distinguish.
Baylor's OOC schedule was offensive before the season and it only looks worse now.

You don't think that Baylor winning a head to head game should automatically put them ahead, but you do believe that TCU should automatically be put ahead for a week 3 win over a team that Baylor would be favored against by two touchdowns?

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/frequently-asked-questions

I mean the rankings agree with the metrics they are using. If the game was played on a neutral field or at TCU, I'd have much more sympathy to your cause ... but it wasn't.

Those criteria you quote doesn't explicitly mention head to head results of a game between two teams, either, which leads me to believe that that line was written with a general nod to comparing teams in different conferences, not the same conference, just like I said in the sentence you quoted. They'd be crazy not to include a head to head matchup in their process, no matter whether you lean towards my or Gondo's thoughts on this specific game. It does include "championships won" as part of the criteria, and going by the actual rules of a round robin tournament, if both teams win out then Baylor would have a trophy and TCU wouldn't (though as mentioned before, the Big XII is apparently going to wimp out and declare co-champions).

At any rate, by the end of the season, the strength of schedule comparison between the two teams is going to be incredibly close. I'd be surprised if they were separated by more than 10 spots. Minnesota over Buffalo doesn't really mean all that much when you have a head to head game, 10 common opponents, and an 11th that is essentially equivalent.

Again, I can even understand TCU being ahead of Baylor right now because of the rankings of who they've played thus far (Minnesota ranked, Baylor hasn't played KSU yet), but at the end of the year if both teams are undefeated but TCU gets in and Baylor doesn't then I think Baylor will have gotten screwed. I look at TCU being ahead right now in kind of the same light as I looked at 3 SEC teams being in that initial top 4; Most didn't really believe that 3 SEC teams would finish the season in the top 4, but it was a reasonable choice at the time based on what we had to work with at the time.

I'm done arguing this for now since it's pretty much just going in circles.

andycapps

We are just looking out for our knees.

Oh you mean from those totally legal cut blocks. They never get called for chop blocks.

Gonna be a combined 70+ points scored in Athens this weekend

Easily, I'd bet the over if I was a betting man. I could see a 38-35 score this weekend. 'm going to say Auburn wins because I'm pessimistic.

I always forget about that. Must be a holdover from before GA Tech took their ball and left the SEC.

KingGondo

Banned
I like some of the things you say, but this is one of the most disagreeable statements I've ever read.

Beating a 2-7 (0-5) Wake Forest team would magically place Baylor over TCU for you? Even worse, just because they are from a power conference (when there's plenty of better non-power conference teams out there)?
All I want is for these teams to schedule somebody with a chance of potentially maybe putting up a fight. Wake Forest has been OK in the past, and I'm willing to give a team the benefit of the doubt since most of these matchups are scheduled years in advance. It isn't OU's fault that Tennessee is bad this year, and it isn't Florida State's fault that we're having a down year. When the game was scheduled I thought we had a great chance of beating FSU.

Minnesota looked like a pretty soft game for TCU before the season but they turned out to be decent.

Baylor intentionally went out and scheduled the easiest games possible to pad their resume with three extra wins. Fuck them.

I say it's "sour grapes" because personal opinions of what is enjoyable doesn't actually mean that something is better or worse. If team A is undefeated and won all of their games 77-70, and team B is undefeated and won all of their games 3-0, the decision on which one gets in shouldn't be about whether you "prefer" watching a high scoring team or a low scoring team, it should be about actual factors that mean something in a game, like, I don't know, an actual win on the field for one over the other.
We're talking about two different things. My point is that I want to minimize the number of laughable games. That includes us playing Missouri State, Baylor playing Northwestern State, Ole Miss playing Presbyterian, etc. These games have a .0001% chance of being competitive. It's awful for fan interest and it sucks for the players (except the third-stringers from the better team who might get some playing time).

Pay-for-play games against inferior competition should be banned, period.

Wins do mean something, but I prefer to look at things like the NFL does. Sure, it means something when Seattle barely beat Denver at home earlier this season, but that doesn't mean I can't look at other evidence and determine that Denver is probably better.

Again, I can even understand TCU being ahead of Baylor right now because of the rankings of who they've played thus far (Minnesota ranked, Baylor hasn't played KSU yet), but at the end of the year if both teams are undefeated but TCU gets in and Baylor doesn't then I think Baylor will have gotten screwed. I look at TCU being ahead right now in kind of the same light as I looked at 3 SEC teams being in that initial top 4; Most didn't really believe that 3 SEC teams would finish the season in the top 4, but it was a reasonable choice at the time based on what we had to work with at the time.
This is reasonable. We just happen to disagree. Besides, odds are actually somewhat decent that TCU or Baylor will lose one of their remaining games and make this whole argument moot.

I'm done arguing this for now since it's pretty much just going in circles.
The only way to really settle it would be an 8-team playoff. 4 just isn't enough.

andycapps

I prefer four; two loss teams shouldn't make the playoffs. This would have been solved if the b12 had a champ game.

Yeah, let's solve it this way, any power 5 conference must have a conference championship game to have teams included in the playoff, and any team not part of a conference is not eligible for the playoff. And if we want to get really fun, any team that schedules a non power 5 team during the regular season will be ineligible for the playoffs.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I choose to decide that I wasn't lying about dropping it before because this is a CLARIFICATION, not a further argument. :p
We're talking about two different things. My point is that I want to minimize the number of laughable games. That includes us playing Missouri State, Baylor playing Northwestern State, Ole Miss playing Presbyterian, etc. These games have a .0001% chance of being competitive. It's awful for fan interest and it sucks for the players (except the third-stringers from the better team who might get some playing time).

Pay-for-play games against inferior competition should be banned, period.

I think we're talking about the same things, I was just using the scoring stuff as a different example of what I see as the same general idea of letting personal preference creep in over more objective points; for example, I think a 77-70 game IS laughable. I wouldn't penalize a team or auto-drop them for playing a bunch of 77-70 games, though, provided they won them all.

Buffalo being laughable or not, I think there are enough other points of comparison between TCU and BU that we don't need to use one game in each's OOC schedule that both teams won as a deciding factor. TCU winning the rest of their games by 20 points and BU winning the rest of their games by 1 point would be a much bigger factor for me, for instance. When you have a head to head matchup and 10 common opponent's worth of comparative data a single OOC game means practically nothing IMO. WAY down the list of tie-breakers.

The only way to really settle it would be an 8-team playoff. 4 just isn't enough.

This all just really feels like the whole BCS mess all over again. I've generally been a defender of FSU up to this point but I'm starting to lean towards hoping that an undefeated Florida State doesn't make it in just so we can have a huge meltdown and get to 8 that much sooner.

I also really wish they would just make winning your conference part of the criteria. There would still be some controversy, I'm sure, but at least that is a hardline explicit criteria that isn't so nebulous as stuff like personal opinions on OOC or things like that.

KingGondo

Banned
I prefer four; two loss teams shouldn't make the playoffs. This would have been solved if the b12 had a champ game.
I hate hard and fast rules like this. For example, the Russell Wilson Wisconsin team from 3 years ago was undoubtedly one of the best teams in the country and lost two regular season games on fluky hail-mary type passes.

That team would have been deserving of a spot in an 8-team playoff.

I think we're talking about the same things, I was just using the scoring stuff as a different example of what I see as the same general idea of letting personal preference creep in over more objective points; for example, I think a 77-70 game IS laughable. I wouldn't penalize a team or auto-drop them for playing a bunch of 77-70 games, though, provided they won them all.

Buffalo being laughable or not, I think there are enough other points of comparison between TCU and BU that we don't need to use one game in each's OOC schedule that both teams won as a deciding factor. TCU winning the rest of their games by 20 points and BU winning the rest of their games by 1 point would be a much bigger factor for me, for instance. When you have a head to head matchup and 10 common opponent's worth of comparative data a single OOC game means practically nothing IMO. WAY down the list of tie-breakers.
Regardless, it's silly that assuming they win out that one of TCU or Baylor will get left out. Both are extremely deserving and either will justifiably feel slighted if they're left at #5.

This all just really feels like the whole BCS mess all over again. I've generally been a defender of FSU up to this point but I'm starting to lean towards hoping that an undefeated Florida State doesn't make it in just so we can have a huge meltdown and get to 8 that much sooner.

I also really wish they would just make winning your conference part of the criteria. There would still be some controversy, I'm sure, but at least that is a hardline explicit criteria that isn't so nebulous as stuff like personal opinions on OOC or things like that.
That's fair too. Have an 8-team playoff with auto-bids for conference champs of the Pac-12, Big 12, B1G, SEC and ACC. The remaining three spots are at-large with disqualification for playing a non-FBS team. In an ideal world there would be a disqualification for playing a non-Power 5 team, but I'm trying to be realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom