• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 13: This months reading assignment: No More Prisons

Status
Not open for further replies.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
lol I just heard a snippet of the rational that the king mouthbreather of the douchebag committee gave SVP - First, he says they moved Alabama to #1 because of their "decisive victory over Miss St.". Then, later when asked why Miss St. was #4 he said it was because they were always in that game.

How so these people and ESPN talking heads even look at themselves in the mirror in the morning?

Meanwhile, Auburn drops from 9 to 14 after getting just demolished and Georgia moves up from 15 to 10. Remove conference name from the equation and any other time that 9 gets moved to 19 and and 15 gets moved to 12.

Doesn't anyone in the media world realize that SEC rankings are a season long aggregation of these favorable movements?

Auburn will lose a close game to Alabama next week and get moved up...just watch.

The fact that they refuse to put Marshall in the top 25 shows how rigged the entire process is.

Bad schedule? Being undefeated is still a feat. We all know great teams can and do lose against minnows. Being able to win week in and week out should be worth at least number 25.

Putting so many three loss teams in is clearly being used as a way to work numbers at the top. "Oh look they beat a top 25 team so they deserve to be fourth! "

Draconian

lol I just heard a snippet of the rational that the king mouthbreather of the douchebag committee gave SVP - First, he says they moved Alabama to #1 because of their "decisive victory over Miss St.". Then, later when asked why Miss St. was #4 he said it was because they were always in that game.

How so these people and ESPN talking heads even look at themselves in the mirror in the morning?

Meanwhile, Auburn drops from 9 to 14 after getting just demolished and Georgia moves up from 15 to 10. Remove conference name from the equation and any other time that 9 gets moved to 19 and and 15 gets moved to 12.

Doesn't anyone in the media world realize that SEC rankings are a season long aggregation of these favorable movements?

Auburn will lose a close game to Alabama next week and get moved up...just watch.

Except Minnesota lost and didn't move down at all.

Clemson got destroyed by Georgia Tech and only moved down 3. Georgia Tech moved up 4.

USC went from unranked to #19 after beating a 5-5 Cal team.

But let's act like the SEC is the only conference that has teams with questionable movements in these rankings.

Pick 'ems for the week:

(THU) Kansas State @ West Virginia by 4 I'll probably regret this but fuck it.
(THU) North Carolina @ Duke by 6
Minnesota @ Nebraska by 6
Boston College @ Florida State by 9
Arizona @ Utah by 4 I'll probably regret this too, also fuck it
Stanford @ California by 6
Louisville @ Notre Dame by 4
Wisconsin @ Iowa by
Oklahoma State @ Baylor by 21
Missouri @ Tennessee by 4
USC @ UCLA by 4
Fresno State @ Nevada by 6

This season has been so bizarre for FSU fans. I started out super hyped, then got super depressed with the continuing media circus that surrounds our program. At this point, I've just learned to accept and embrace it. Fuck all the haters. The student body should petition to change our alma mater to "All I Do Is Win". Between all the salt I'm ingesting this season and the weekly heart attack that is 1st half FSU football, I'm almost certainly going to die from high blood pressure.

andycapps

Yup. We're well positioned. Win out and we're in. I'm very confident of that.

Well, you'd need two teams ahead of you to lose, unless you jump Oregon. Oregon doesn't have any potential big wins left so that's a possibility that they could drop out of the top 4. Wait, how the hell is Oregon #2? I thought they were #4. The top 4 is all out of order anyway, but I guess it doesn't matter since if you're in the top 4 at least you're there even though the seeds will matter to some extent.

As unimpressive as FSU as been in going undefeated thus far, they're undefeated and I don't understand how they're not #1. Bama at #2 I could see, then Oregon, then Miss State.

Meier

These comments from Bobby are on point:

"How many times have you heard a Coach say," We didn't finish"? Coaches harp on it continuously, finish,finish,finish! Coaches emphasize each practice,"finish your block", Finish your Tackle, finish your run,finish the last Quarter".

"Every team in the Top Ten failed to 'finish' their game at least one time, but not Florida State . One thing they have done is 'finish' the game.They have 'finished' 10 straight times this season and the last 26 games in a row.

"All the Polls now are just speculation and opinions. 26 finishes in a row is not an opinion!"

Balphon

Well, you'd need two teams ahead of you to lose, unless you jump Oregon. Oregon doesn't have any potential big wins left so that's a possibility that they could drop out of the top 4. Wait, how the hell is Oregon #2? I thought they were #4. The top 4 is all out of order anyway, but I guess it doesn't matter since if you're in the top 4 at least you're there even though the seeds will matter to some extent.

As unimpressive as FSU as been in going undefeated thus far, they're undefeated and I don't understand how they're not #1. Bama at #2 I could see, then Oregon, then Miss State.

Oregon has more wins against the current top 25 than the other 3 teams in the top 4, and will play a team likely to be ranked in the top 15 at least in the Pac-12 CCG. Though it is increasingly likely that game will be a rematch.

Of course, me saying this all but assures that we will lose to the Beavers.

Well, you'd need two teams ahead of you to lose, unless you jump Oregon.
I think we can jump TCU even if TCU wins out (we'll get a bigger boost from a conference championship win than they will from beating an awful Iowa State team), Ole Miss will upset Misspsspi State in the Egg Bowl, and then, I dunno, Bama gets upset by Mizzou/Georgia in the SEC Championship or something.

EDIT: I guess we'd only need the first two to happen, but the last one would certainly be amusing.

Draxal

Sec West won't get 2 in, backlash from a couple years back.

I think there is a Rutgers fan and some guy who went to one of the Arizona schools.

Not one actually talks about CFB.

The Rutgers fan is somehow super into women's BB. I don't think Rutgers is even that good at it.

My last job had a mass ton of CFB guys.

Our coach was Mack Browning it but we used to be pretty good. However, we were in the same conference as UConn and Geno's an unstoppable juggernaught.

andycapps

I think we can jump TCU even if TCU wins out (we'll get a bigger boost from a conference championship win than they will from beating an awful Iowa State team), Ole Miss will upset Misspsspi State in the Egg Bowl, and then, I dunno, Bama gets upset by Georgia in the SEC Championship or something.

I think there's a good likelihood of tOSU winning out and getting into the playoffs (and getting embarrassed once there), just saying I don't think it's a lock yet. I agree that Ole Miss has a good chance of upsetting Miss St.

I'm starting to feel the faint glimmer of hope that we could make our way into the playoffs by the skin of our teeth if we win out. If we beat ranked GA Tech and a top ranked west team in the SECCG I could see a pretty big bump. Not sure if it'd be enough to get us to 4th but it's possible.

Meier

Blame everyone who wanted a committee instead of the bcs computers.

As long as FSU is still in the top who gives a fuck where they're ranked?

People wanted a playoff, but to think that there needs to be some sort of new committee that was riddled with conflicts of interest to decide one is ridiculous. I don't think anyone wanted a committee.

I think anyone with eyeballs could have told you that Miss State was not the #1 rated team in the country. They have looked above average for the past few weeks but were not punished for skating by due to their SEC affiliation. They beat up on teams that the media had overrated and now have effectively 0 high quality wins on their resume (Auburn is a good win, but 3 losses out of 10 is not impressive).

I think if we're going to give any 1-loss team the top ranking, it has to be Oregon as their resume is "the most impressive" of the 1 loss teams. Alabama has 1 top 25 win -- 1 (Miss State)! They were lucky to be gifted victories by Arkansas and LSU.

Draxal

I think there's a good likelihood of tOSU winning out and getting into the playoffs (and getting embarrassed once there), just saying I don't think it's a lock yet. I agree that Ole Miss has a good chance of upsetting Miss St.

I'm starting to feel the faint glimmer of hope that we could make our way into the playoffs by the skin of our teeth if we win out. If we beat ranked GA Tech and a top ranked west team in the SECCG I could see a pretty big bump. Not sure if it'd be enough to get us to 4th but it's possible.

If you win out you're in. All the jostling by the committee is saying that the SEC champ is getting in no matter what and no matter who it is.

Conference Championships Games matter, that 13th game is HUUUUUUUGE.

andycapps

If you win out you're in. All the jostling by the committee is saying that the SEC champ is getting in no matter what and no matter who it is.

Conference Championships Games matter, that 13th game is HUUUUUUUGE.

It's true, they have hinted that the big conference winners are getting in regardless. You know how happy I would be with a UGA/MCU matchup?

Lunar15

I thought the whole point of the playoff is that is that we no longer really cared about the order of the top four because there'd be a playoff to determine who gets into the final game, rather than just the top two chosen by a committee?

I'm not saying I agree with the rankings, but in the grand scheme of things it's not that big of a deal. Top 4 get to play it out.

andycapps

I thought the whole point of the playoff is that is that we no longer really cared about the order of the top four because there'd be a playoff to determine who gets into the final game, rather than just the top two chosen by a committee?

I'm not saying I agree with the rankings, but in the grand scheme of things it's not that big of a deal. Top 4 get to play it out.

Sure, but seeding definitely plays a part, though it'll be more important in the inevitable push to 8 teams. For now, the #1 and #4 teams play each other, #2 and #3 play and so on. This year the Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl are hosting the playoffs and the MNC will be at Jerry's World.

I think that most years the committee will try its damndest to avoid putting multiple teams from one conference into the top four - even the mighty SECSECSEC - meaning that the Top 4 will pretty much always be conference champions.

Inevitably that means one P5 conference champion gets left out. The lack of a championship game is probably going to put the Big 12 at a big disadvantage, unless the Big 12 champion happens to be playing an extremely good team in their final week. Also, we could have a situation where a shitty division winner with multiple losses unexpectedly knocks out a heavyweight in the championship game, in which case that conference would obviously be excluded.

Wat? Oregon has beaten more ranked teams than anyone else, and by huge margins too. OSU has like 1 quality win to Oregon's 3. And has a much, much, much better loss.

FSU has been unimpressive against shit, FCS-caliber opposition. That's why. They have mostly trailed against most of the "biggest teams" they have faced. Shows adversity, but shows how much worse this team is compared to its 2013 edition.

Only way OSU is in is them winning out, and in big fashion, and expecting the guys ahead and behind to stumble (i.e. Baylor). I still think a 1-loss Miss St will make it ahead of OSU. Baylor has a shot given the good matchup against K-State. If they win big there, it might be enough to propel them ahead of TCU and OSU and be the prime beneficiary of any loss by Oregon, Alabama, FSU or Miss St.

Draxal

I think that most years the committee will try its damndest to avoid putting multiple teams from one conference into the top four - even the mighty SECSECSEC - meaning that the Top 4 will pretty much always be conference champions.

Inevitably that means one P5 conference champion gets left out. The lack of a championship game is probably going to put the Big 12 at a big disadvantage, unless the Big 12 champion happens to be playing an extremely good team in their final week. Also, we could have a situation where a shitty division winner with multiple losses unexpectedly knocks out a heavyweight in the championship game, in which case that conference would obviously be excluded.

They're putting all of the SEC in the top for now. It's not that they're going to be there in the end, it's just saying that the SEC Champ is going to be in no matter what. It's saying that a Big Ten champ other than tOSU is not getting in and the same for FSU and the ACC.

I agree with 100% in your second paragraph. Baylor and TCU need to get their style points ready (TCU can't afford another Kansas).

Wat? Oregon has beaten more ranked teams than anyone else, and by huge margins too. OSU has like 1 quality win to Oregon's 3. And has a much, much, much better loss.

FSU has been unimpressive against shit, FCS-caliber opposition. That's why. They have mostly trailed against most of the "biggest teams" they have faced. Shows adversity, but shows how much worse this team is compared to its 2013 edition.

Only way OSU is in is them winning out, and in big fashion, and expecting the guys ahead and behind to stumble (i.e. Baylor). I still think a 1-loss Miss St will make it ahead of OSU. Baylor has a shot given the good matchup against K-State. If they win big there, it might be enough to propel them ahead of TCU and OSU and be the prime beneficiary of any loss by Oregon, Alabama, FSU or Miss St.

Baylor is fucked by their oos and lack of championship game (13 games matter), TCU to a lesser extent as their OOS.. And I just don't see two SEC west teams getting in, if Georgia wins out, they're getting over both of those two. Conference championships matter.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
The lack of a championship game is probably going to put the Big 12 at a big disadvantage, unless the Big 12 champion happens to be playing an extremely good team in their final week.

Baylor plays KSU in the final week this season. Something to watch out for.

@osmattmurschel 21m21 minutes ago
Florida Citrus Sports announces Orlando Kickoff Event which features an annual football game at the Citrus Bowl. FSU and Ole Miss in 2016.

Lunar15

So what's the chances on Doc Holliday for UF? He was a recruiter under Urban Meyer for UF (and brought in arguably some of his best players), and he's done a pretty good job at Marshall for the most part. It took him a few years as a head coach to get going, but this season and last season have been pretty good. Sure, it's the C-USA, but leading the nation in total offense sounds pretty fucking good right about now.

I dunno, sounds better than Greg "Schiano Men" Schiano.

I think if we're going to give any 1-loss team the top ranking, it has to be Oregon as their resume is "the most impressive" of the 1 loss teams.

Oregon lost at home as a 22 point favorite. No fucking way they deserve to be #1 (or #2 behind undefeated FSU).

Frankly, it seems nobody is truly great this year. But I cannot believe how much shit FSU gets despite the fact that they are the only P5 team that has managed to win every game they played. I cannot believe that doesn't count for shit in the eyes of the committee. It's nonsense. At a certain point, the fact that FSU has come from behind so many times should speak to their toughness. Nobody else has managed that.

EVERYBODY is worse than 2013 FSU. Why should FSU be punished for that more? And most teams are worse than they were last year. 2014 Oregon is worse than 2013 Oregon. 2014 Bama is worse than 2013 Bama. Why do they not get the same treatment?

Lunar15

I'm a Gator who can't stand FSU, but yeah, being able to consistently adjust at halftime and turn a defeat into a victory is a sign of strength, not weakness, to me.

But mainly I want them to be #1 when The Revenge of Zook 2: Muschamp's Revenge inevitably happens.

pxleyes

Banned
I didn't realize until just now that the "Capital One Bowl" moniker is dead.

What do you mean? The Cap One bowl was a single bowl. It is now the Buffalo Wild Wings bowl. The stadium itself has been and always will be called the Citrus Bowl. Now they are trying to call it the Orlando Citrus Bowl more, in order to emphasize Orlando, but Citrus will always be in the title. The one nice change is the Cap One bowl was just that. The BWW bowl will actually be the BWW Citrus Bowl, returning the name of the stadium to the name of the bowl game much like what has happened with the Peach Bowl.

I'm a Gator who can't stand FSU, but yeah, being able to consistently adjust at halftime and turn a defeat into a victory is a sign of strength, not weakness, to me.

Exactly! If it happens once or twice, that could be seen as a problem. But the fact that it's happened so often shows how fucking tough this team is. They hold the record for the largest comeback in school history (down 21 @Louisville). They have the wherewithal to beat anybody. Oregon doesn't. Alabama doesn't. If they did, then they would be undefeated too.

What do you mean? The Cap One bowl was a single bowl. It is now the Buffalo Wild Wings bowl. The stadium itself has been and always will be called the Citrus Bowl. Now they are trying to call it the Orlando Citrus Bowl more, in order to emphasize Orlando, but Citrus will always be in the title. The one nice change is the Cap One bowl was just that. The BWW bowl will actually be the BWW Citrus Bowl, returning the name of the stadium to the name of the bowl game much like what has happened with the Peach Bowl.

I was specifically referring to the bowl game, not the stadium.

It's actually now the "Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus Bowl," not the "Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl."

And "Citrus" hasn't been in the name of the bowl game for the last decade. It's been the "Capital One Bowl" since 2003.

EDIT: Sorry, your post confused the hell out of me. I now see what you're saying.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Exactly! If it happens once or twice, that could be seen as a problem. But the fact that it's happened so often shows how fucking tough this team is. They hold the record for the largest comeback in school history (down 21 @Louisville). They have the wherewithal to beat anybody. Oregon doesn't. Alabama doesn't. If they did, then they would be undefeated too.

The ability to come back is a positive. Making yourself have to come back every game is a negative.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

But mainly I want them to be #1 when The Revenge of Zook 2: Muschamp's Revenge inevitably happens.

"Making good adjustments at halftime" is one way to look at it. Another way is "only bothering to put real effort into one half per game."

::edit::
Like Yaboosh says above.
::/edit::

I don't have any real problem with FSU being in the playoffs if they're undefeated, regardless of what I think of their weak schedule and unimpressive performances against that schedule, but give them a single loss and I think they should be way out of it. It's kind of similar to how we seemed to look at undefeated mid-majors in the BCS era: win out and you're in a BCS bowl, lose a single game and you're knocked all the way down to the This-Name-Will-Only-Last-For-One-Year Bowl.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.

Florida State as an institution has a lot of strength in cleaning up messes after they happen.

Piggus

It's going to bite them in the ass when they actually play a decent team. I really hope the rankings stand so we can be the ones to deliver the KO everyone is asking for.

AntoneM

Oregon has more wins against the current top 25 than the other 3 teams in the top 4, and will play a team likely to be ranked in the top 15 at least in the Pac-12 CCG. Though it is increasingly likely that game will be a rematch.

Of course, me saying this all but assures that we will lose to the Beavers.

I know that feel

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Seeing the media still talking about Oregon's Injuries negating the Arizona loss, and now Braxton's injuries negating OSUn's loss to VT. Well, you can negate that Ole Miss loss because of Drake and the Center going down! /dancingbanana.gif

I am more than alright in saying that Oregon should be #1. As long as Alabama is #2 or #3 in that instance, means they'll play in New Orleans rather than California. Better chances to get more of our fans to the game.

Jamesways

Assumptions, assumptions.
OSU isn't going to roll over Wis with minimal effort. Wis has played them close every game the past several years. I wouldn't consider it an automatic win.

andycapps

OSU isn't going to roll over Wis with minimal effort. Wis has played them close every game the past several years. I wouldn't consider it an automatic win.

It's very true. Wisconsin is a very physical team and Gordon is a beast, I expect a good game.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
(THU) Kansas State @ West Virginia by 10
(THU) North Carolina @ Duke by 23
Minnesota @ Nebraska by 9
Boston College @ Florida State by 5
Arizona @ Utah by 7
Stanford @ California by 1 (did i do the do dude presented by MTNDEW)
Louisville @ Notre Dame by 10
Wisconsin @ Iowa by 21
Oklahoma State @ Baylor by 24
Missouri @ Tennessee by 8
USC @ UCLA by 15
Fresno State @ Nevada by 16

You kind of have to make assumptions if you're talking about a team in the playoff hunt.

I'm certainly not saying Ohio State is guaranteed to win out. We're just discussing the fact that they're in playoff contention and trying to figure out if they'll end up in the top 4 if they win out.

It's not a diss at Wisconsin or any of the other teams vying for the B1G West title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom