• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 13: This months reading assignment: No More Prisons

Status
Not open for further replies.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
yep, looks like everyone saw the writing on the wall with Bama at 1 and MissSt at 4. well, except mre... :chuckle
Hey, I was wrong, but I was sincere in my belief. I still think it's stupid. Oregon should be #1.

Wtf at Ohio State over Baylor. Go game by game and tell me why that is so

Because, tOSU not only beat a top 25 minnesota but they also beat this guy in the process

icecream.0.gif

It still blows my mind that Arkansas had the lead against Alabama AND Mississippi State in the 4th Quarter, yet their first SEC win in over 2 years was Saturday.

Like, I guess the committee can go ahead and move teams around even if they don't lose, and could plausibly move OSU ahead of Ole Miss. But man, that they left them at #4 means there'll be a huge outcry if they do that.

as opposed to the outcry of Alabama AND Mississippi State being in? (btw it's not Ole Miss :p)

Schmitty

Wow these rankings are insane.

My office is pretty into college football so we are always on each others' cases. We've got a ton of east coast school representation within the Big 10 and ACC (except for the Virginia guy who keeps trying to make us talk about basketball)

HeySeuss

Ohio State won't ever find out because they don't have any more opportunities for good wins.

Unless they hang like 70 on Wiscy.

You're a funny guy. If they win out they will jump TCU. They need one of the top 4 to lose and they're in the playoff.

HeySeuss

TCU lost by 3 to the number 5 team Baylor. OSU lost by 14 to Virginia Tech.

That was week 2 with a freshman qb that could realistically be a top 5 heisman finalist now after his slow start.

They are not the same team and thus why they are ranked where they are now. Like it or not they now have a realistic chance of getting in.

Talon

And this is why I find the college football playoff droll because I really don't care about the fourth, fifth or six best teams in college football because the fourth, fifth or sixth teams in college football have never been Championship-calibur teams.

Nobody legitimately believes that Ohio State is one of the two best teams in the country. We've seen this story of a traditional B1G power rolling through a weak conference with one or two wins worth a shit playing in a BCS game play out a few too many times since the conference went to shit around 2008.

2009 is probably the last time the conference was pretty good, though, if memory serves. I think that's the last time the conference had a winning bowl record.

Slo

And this is why I find the college football playoff droll because I really don't care about the fourth, fifth or six best teams in college football because the fourth, fifth or sixth teams in college football have never been Championship-calibur teams.

Nobody legitimately believes that Ohio State is one of the two best teams in the country. We've seen this story of a traditional B1G power rolling through a weak conference with one or two wins worth a shit playing in a BCS game play out a few too many times since the conference went to shit around 2008.

2009 is probably the last time the conference was pretty good, though, if memory serves. I think that's the last time the conference had a winning bowl record.

The best part of every sports season is the playoffs, but second best part is watching those last desperate teams trying to claw their way in. Pick a sport. It's true for pretty much all of them.

tokkun

Did you watch the men's basketball tournament this year? Finals were a #7 seed vs a #8 seed. And keep in mind, that those are not overall ranking, they are the rankings in their bracket.

Talon

Did you watch the men's basketball tournament this year? Finals were a #7 seed vs a #8 seed. And keep in mind, that those are not overall ranking, they are the rankings in their bracket.
You realize this is a college football thread, right, breh? As in the sport of football, not basketball where a single player can make an outsized difference due to the 5-on-5 and rapid scoring nature of the sport?

xeris

(THU) Kansas State @ West Virginia by 7
(THU) North Carolina @ Duke by 10
Minnesota @ Nebraska by 4
Boston College @ Florida State by 10
Arizona @ Utah by 4
Stanford @ California by 4
Louisville @ Notre Dame by 4
Wisconsin @ Iowa by 17
Oklahoma State @ Baylor by 11
Missouri @ Tennessee by 7
USC @ UCLA by 4
Fresno State @ Nevada by 4

tokkun

You realize this is a college football thread, right, breh? As in the sport of football, not basketball where a single player can make an outsized difference due to the 5-on-5 and rapid scoring nature of the sport?

Oh right. I forgot there were no big upsets in college football this year.

Talon

Oh right. I forgot there were no big upsets in college football this year.
Stop moving them goal posts.

Are you intellectually dishonest enough to believe that the 28th or 32nd best team in college football could even hang with a top 2 team?

Are you intellectually dishonest enough to believe that the 28th or 32nd best team in college football could even hang with a top 2 team?

Is one of those top 2 teams Florida State? :/

I'm guessing another selling point is being able to give players as many tickets as they want for family and friends.

They should rely on that just in case the NCAA rules weather an impermissible benefit.

Schmitty

(THU) Kansas State @ West Virginia by 4
(THU) North Carolina @ Duke by 7
Minnesota @ Nebraska by 4
Boston College @ Florida State by 17
Arizona @ Utah by 7
Stanford @ California by 1(you know what to do)
Louisville @ Notre Dame by 4
Wisconsin @ Iowa by 10
Oklahoma State @ Baylor by 13
Missouri @ Tennessee by 8
USC @ UCLA by 4
Fresno State @ Nevada by 4 who the hell knows

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

While I agree with you, allow me to play devil's advocate for a moment. From the coaches poll:
(26) Notre Dame 118, (27) Clemson 69, (28) LSU 43, (29) Boise State 32, (30) Minnesota 29, (31) Louisville 19, (32) Iowa 7, (33) Miami (FL) 6, Texas 5, Cincinnati 3, Texas A&M 3, Stanford 2, Northern Illinois 2, West Virginia 1, Arkansas 1
I'm going to have to cheat a tad bit because what the fuck is Iowa doing ranked as high as 32nd, but look at the 28th and 33rd ranked teams. Each of those has played a top 4 team tough within the past two weeks.

tokkun

That wasn't what I was claiming, but since you bring it up, it's happened multiple times this season.

Sotha_Sil

And those AAC/Big East champs certainly lost their BCS games the last two years right? Or did Baylor and Florida both lose by double digits despite being huge favorites?

I don't see how an 11-1 team can be seen unworthy for a playoff in college football. We might have two or three teams with that kind of record left out of the playoffs this year.

(THU) Kansas State @ West Virginia by 14
(THU) North Carolina @ Duke by 21
Minnesota @ Nebraska by 3
Boston College @ Florida State by 7
Arizona @ Utah by 7
Stanford @ California by 1
Louisville @ Notre Dame by 9
Wisconsin @ Iowa by 7
Oklahoma State @ Baylor by 21
Missoura @ Tennessee by 2
USC @ UCLA by 10
Fresno State @ Nevada by 7

Talon

While I agree with you, allow me to play devil's advocate for a moment. From the coaches poll:

I'm going to have to cheat a tad bit because what the fuck is Iowa doing ranked as high as 32nd, but look at the 28th and 33rd ranked teams. Each of those has played a top 4 team tough within the past two weeks.
Obviously I was talking about looking at it from the end of the season.
That wasn't what I was claiming, but since you bring it up, it's happened multiple times this season.
7 and 8 seeds within the NCAA tourney would correlate to teams in the Iowa hell zone.
And those AAC/Big East champs certainly lost their BCS games the last two years right? Or did Baylor and Florida both lose by double digits despite being huge favorites?

I don't see how an 11-1 team can be seen unworthy for a playoff in college football. We might have two or three teams with that kind of record left out of the playoffs this year.
Who are you talking to? Those were conference champions. How do those even correlate to a team that wouldn't even be ranked?

And this is why small sample size tournaments are awful for determining a true champion. Too prone to random, flukey fluctuations and other such things.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Late to the fun, but :lololol

Can't wait till OSUn/Baylor get the bump for "winning the conference" as that should mean anything (though, at least with OSUn, they'd have played 1 more game)

I can't fathom MSU staying there long term, I feel they'll need any 3 of FSU/OSUn/Baylor/TCU to lose.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
If you want to overthrow a class system, you start by getting rid of classes.

well done!

EDIT: Can some of you please pick UNC to win on Thursday? Last week's near landslide voting created way too pressure for Anthony Boone and thus he played like a dumbass. Except Bucknuticus.....fuck you, though now you're in good company and thanks again for Jeremy Cash.

Sux to be Marshall. Undefeated and still out of the top 25. I mean at this point it's insulting to put 3 loss teams ahead of them. Even with their shit tier schedule.

Sux to be Marshall. Undefeated and still out of the top 25. I mean at this point it's insulting to put 3 loss teams ahead of them. Even with their shit tier schedule.

We can't see "Others receiving votes" in the CFP poll correct? I like to imagine Marshall was ranked #26 last week, and today's meeting went a follows.

Member 1: "Well Minnesota was #25 this past week and lost, so I guess we drop them and move Marshall in to their spot..."
Member 2: "Do we really have to? Is that in the rules?"
Member 1: "Well, technically we can do whatever we want"
Member 2: " Then fuck it, lets keep Minnesota where they are at #25. I don't want any mid-majors dirtying up our poll"
Member 1: "All in favor of keeping Minnesota at #25 and leaving Marshall out say "Aye" "
Members 1-13: "Aye!"
Member 1: "It's settled then, Minnesota stays put at 25."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom