• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 13: This months reading assignment: No More Prisons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing the media still talking about Oregon's Injuries negating the Arizona loss, and now Braxton's injuries negating OSUn's loss to VT. Well, you can negate that Ole Miss loss because of Drake and the Center going down! /dancingbanana.gif

I am more than alright in saying that Oregon should be #1. As long as Alabama is #2 or #3 in that instance, means they'll play in New Orleans rather than California. Better chances to get more of our fans to the game.

look, if you guys win out you're going to the Sugar Bowl regardless of what happens :p

(and you're already #1 now, not sure how the committee can "negate" the loss any further)

edit: well actually I suppose in theory they could randomly move Florida State to #1, causing an Oregon-Alabama semifinal....but I doubt they would do that

KingGondo

Banned
Rumors swirling that we're going to be forced to burn our freshman QB Mason Rudolph's redshirt this weekend @ Baylor.

The cherry on top of this shit-tastic season.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like our 2015 schedule was just announced.

Sept. 5 Sam Houston State
Sept. 12 UTEP
Sept. 19 at Arkansas
Sept. 26 *TCU
Oct. 3 vs. *Baylor (AT&T Stadium, Arlington)
Oct. 10 *Iowa State
Oct. 17 at *Kansas
Oct. 24 at *Oklahoma
Oct. 31 *Oklahoma State
Nov. 7 at *West Virginia
Nov. 14 *Kansas State
Nov. 26 at *Texas

Notice the complete lack of a bye week during the season except for the weekend just before the Texas game (which is on Thanksgiving). 11 straight weeks of football with no break.

Oregon lost at home as a 22 point favorite. No fucking way they deserve to be #1 (or #2 behind undefeated FSU).

Frankly, it seems nobody is truly great this year. But I cannot believe how much shit FSU gets despite the fact that they are the only P5 team that has managed to win every game they played. I cannot believe that doesn't count for shit in the eyes of the committee. It's nonsense. At a certain point, the fact that FSU has come from behind so many times should speak to their toughness. Nobody else has managed that.

EVERYBODY is worse than 2013 FSU. Why should FSU be punished for that more? And most teams are worse than they were last year. 2014 Oregon is worse than 2013 Oregon. 2014 Bama is worse than 2013 Bama. Why do they not get the same treatment?

ACC by far the weakest of the P5 conference, lol - that doesn't mean anything. They have struggled to beat unranked teams like Notre Dame, Louisville and Miami (FL), that teams like Alabama or Oregon would have likely handily beaten.

FSU 2013 was great, but they caught some breaks in the NCG against Auburn - clearly they were not as good as their record indicated, otherwise the score wouldn't have been so close.

FSU 2013 was great, but they caught some breaks in the NCG against Auburn - clearly they were not as good as their record indicated, otherwise the score wouldn't have been so close.

They demolished a Clemson team on the road that went on to beat Ohio State and oh I see what you mean.

I'm far from being an FSU apologist, but they would've run away with that game if Auburn wasn't stealing signals for the whole first half.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Just out of curiosity, I checked out the final scores and halftime scores of all of Florida State's games over the past two seasons (regular season only).

2013 - never trailed at halftime, average margin of victory of 42.31 points, average halftime margin of victory of 23.62 points, every win was by at least double digits, allowed more than 17 points only once.
2014 - Have trailed at halftime in 50% of their games, average margin of victory of 14.3 points, average halftime margin of victory of 3.4 points, 4 wins by single digits thus far, allowed over 17 points 7 times.

I knew there was a big dropoff from last season to this season, but damn, looking at the actual numbers is amazing. They held opponents to 7 or fewer points in over half of their games last season, and they're scoring about 16 fewer points per game this season.

Texas 2015

Sep 5: @ Notre Dame
Sept 12: vs. Rice
Sept 19: vs. Cal
Sept 26: vs. OKST
Oct 3: @ TCU
Oct 10: vs. OU (in Dallas)
Oct. 24: vs. K-State
Oct. 31: @ ISU
Nov. 7 vs. Kansas
Nov. 14: @ WVU
Nov. 26: vs. Texas Tech
Dec. 5th: @ Baylor

Hopefully our 2 game series with the Domers goes better than our 3 game series with BYU. We could easily start the season with an L next year which would be a bummer

tokkun

and to or. My understanding is that only way for the Huskers to go to the B1GCG, Wiscy needs to lose both games and Huskers need to win out, no?

That is true, but the overall division is a lot more complicated than that.

Minnesota can win the division by winning out.

Iowa can win by winning out and having Minnesota lose one game.

Nebraska can win by winning out and having Wisconsin lose two games.

Otherwise Wisconsin wins.

Jameis Winston's 1H stats this year are actually really bad, he has like a 130 rating in the first half and has more picks than interceptions. His cold starts and FSU's near-complete futility at running the football is a big portion of what puts them in such a mess each game. The other side of the coin is turnovers, FSU was always ahead of their opponents in that regard last year and this year it hasn't been an advantage at all.

The 2013 Noles would get an early score , get a turnover for another score, and would just run away with the game. That's not happening this year.

AntoneM

Pick 'ems for the week:

(THU) Kansas State @ West Virginia by 9
(THU) North Carolina @ Duke by 6
Minnesota @ Nebraska by 6
Boston College @ Florida State by 12
Arizona @ Utah by 4
Stanford @ California by 6
Louisville @ Notre Dame by 6
Wisconsin @ Iowa by 12
Oklahoma State @ Baylor by 17
Missouri @ Tennessee by 4
USC @ UCLA by 4
Fresno State @ Nevada by 6

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Just out of curiosity, I checked out the final scores and halftime scores of all of Florida State's games over the past two seasons (regular season only).

2013 - never trailed at halftime, average margin of victory of 42.31 points, average halftime margin of victory of 23.62 points, every win was by at least double digits, allowed more than 17 points only once.
2014 - Have trailed at halftime in 50% of their games, average margin of victory of 14.3 points, average halftime margin of victory of 3.4 points, 4 wins by single digits thus far, allowed over 17 points 7 times.

I knew there was a big dropoff from last season to this season, but damn, looking at the actual numbers is amazing. They held opponents to 7 or fewer points in over half of their games last season, and they're scoring about 16 fewer points per game this season.

Weren't we losing at the half to BC last year?

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
People wanted a playoff, but to think that there needs to be some sort of new committee that was riddled with conflicts of interest to decide one is ridiculous. I don't think anyone wanted a committee.

I think anyone with eyeballs could have told you that Miss State was not the #1 rated team in the country. They have looked above average for the past few weeks but were not punished for skating by due to their SEC affiliation. They beat up on teams that the media had overrated and now have effectively 0 high quality wins on their resume (Auburn is a good win, but 3 losses out of 10 is not impressive).

I think if we're going to give any 1-loss team the top ranking, it has to be Oregon as their resume is "the most impressive" of the 1 loss teams. Alabama has 1 top 25 win -- 1 (Miss State)! They were lucky to be gifted victories by Arkansas and LSU.
Gifted victories? Get out of here with that shit.

You know, I hope Texas destroys TCU, but if TCU wins they will finish 11-1. Baylor will probably beat K-State and finish 11-1.

If thats the case I hope tOSU, Bama, Oregon, and FSU win out. Miss St. loses to Ole Miss which would make 6 CFB teams that have 1 loss or fewer (not including Marshall). So we would have 4 playoff teams representing 4 conferences, while the two teams from the Big 12 also with 1 loss stay home ( or go to some non-playoff bowl ). That will, hopefully, finally put a fire under Bowlsbys ass to get 2 more teams in the conference so the Big 12 will have 12 teams and a CCG. Right now it makes no sense to have a CCG because errybody plays errybody.

Draxal

You know, I hope Texas destroys TCU, but if TCU wins they will finish 11-1. Baylor will probably beat K-State and finish 11-1.

If thats the case I hope tOSU, Bama, Oregon, and FSU win out. Miss St. loses to Ole Miss which would make 6 CFB teams that have 1 loss or fewer (not including Marshall). So we would have 4 playoff teams representing 4 conferences, while the two teams from the Big 12 also with 1 loss stay home ( or go to some non-playoff bowl ). That will, hopefully, finally put a fire under Bowlsbys ass to get 2 more teams in the conference so the Big 12 will have 12 teams and a CCG. Right now it makes no sense to have a CCG because errybody plays errybody.

Didn't the b12 try to get an exemption for a cc game (cc games requires divisions and divisions require at least 12 teams)? And isn't Texas the big cock block against expansion?

edit. Oh wait it was Swofford (which didn't make sense to me as the ACC had 14 (+1) teams.

Jamesways

You kind of have to make assumptions if you're talking about a team in the playoff hunt.

I'm certainly not saying Ohio State is guaranteed to win out. We're just discussing the fact that they're in playoff contention and trying to figure out if they'll end up in the top 4 if they win out.

It's not a diss at Wisconsin or any of the other teams vying for the B1G West title.

I understand what you mean.
And so help me god if they do meet in the B1G Champ game and OSU wins in OT or a last second bomb...

Well, let's just say I hope the paperwork's all in order life insurance wise, I don't think my heart can handle another of those losses like that.

Every year, I say "It's ok, it's just a game" each time, but still, the emotional roller coaster of being a Wis fan is tough sometimes.

Edit- Yeah, boo hoo at the above, but Jesus, so many last second bombs/Rose Bowl "almosts" the past few years.

Going to be a fun 2 weeks in the West, that's for sure.

A team shouldn't move into or be moved out of (or be excluded from moving into) the top 4 just based on whether or not they played in a CCG. This isn't a computer ranking scenario where suddenly a new highly rated opponent changes some computations. These are humans that have decided that a certain team is top 4, other teams are not, which should mean that those teams should have to do something that makes the committee change their minds (and not playing is not that something). It's not enough to say "well, Ohio State won an extra game and Mississippi State didn't, so we have to move one out and the other in," or "TCU and Baylor didn't play a CCG, so they'll just have to stay where they are (on the outside) and we'll move other teams around them." It should be "a team on the outside won an extra game. And? Are they or are they not better than a team in the top 4? Why should what this team did this week change our mind about what the top 4 team has done all year?"

Frankly, I don't buy it. The committee is certainly free to reassess their prior judgments, but it shouldn't be considered a mere formality that they will, as there's really no reason they should unless a team actually is more impressive.

Mississippi State is 4 right now. If Mississippi State is impressive in their next 2 games, then TCU, Baylor, or Ohio State should have to be much more impressive in order to move up, and the CCG (for tMCU) might help that, but it's no given.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

Last time the conference got desperate, we added a school with almost half the enrollment of our previous smallest school in a market we already had a stranglehold on. I don't know that I would like what would happen if we got in a rush again.

Nobody would want to leave the SEC, B1G, or PAC to come to the Big XII, and the ACC schools have that decade plus grant of rights contract in the way. What would be the best case scenario? Central Florida and Cincinnati? Staying put may be in the conference's best interest right now, CCG or not.

If that ACC Grant of Rights thing has any loopholes in it at all, though, we may have some exploration going on if Florida State were to get locked out of the playoffs with an undefeated record.

Sotha_Sil

What two teams would you add? UCF is probably the most deserving considering their recent football successes. They'd add a new market into the fold and increase Big 12 exposure in one of the best recruiting grounds in the country.

KingGondo

Banned
Last time the conference got desperate, we added a school with almost half the enrollment of our previous smallest school in a market we already had a stranglehold on. I don't know that I would like what would happen if we got in a rush again.

Nobody would want to leave the SEC, B1G, or PAC to come to the Big XII, and the ACC schools have that decade plus grant of rights contract in the way. What would be the best case scenario? Central Florida and Cincinnati? Staying put may be in the conference's best interest right now, CCG or not.

If that ACC Grant of Rights thing has any loopholes in it at all, though, we may have some exploration going on if Florida State were to get locked out of the playoffs with an undefeated record.
I think BYU and either Cincy or UCF would be the best additions if we wanted to go to 12.

My dream Big 12, while we're on the subject of shit that's unlikely to happen:

North:
Nebraska
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
OSU
Mizzou

South:
OU
Arkansas
Texas
Texas Tech
Texas A&M
TCU

I think BYU and either Cincy or UCF would be the best additions if we wanted to go to 12.

My dream Big 12, while we're on the subject of shit that's unlikely to happen:

It will be more likely to happen if a 1 loss Big 12 champion gets left out of the playoff. The Big 12 is stronger than the B1G and ACC, and at least on par with the Pac-12 in strength. So if a team is left out from a lack of a CCG, Bowlsby will feel a lot more pressure to add a couple schools.

KingGondo

Banned
It will be more likely to happen if a 1 loss Big 12 champion gets left out of the playoff. The Big 12 is stronger than the B1G and ACC, and at least on par with the Pac-12 in strength. So if a team is left out from a lack of a CCG, Bowlsby will feel a lot more pressure to add a couple schools.
I'm actually down with adding BYU right now. Very underrated asset IMO.

Good in most sports with a large, loyal, nationwide fanbase. Nice road trip destination too.

Seeing the media still talking about Oregon's Injuries negating the Arizona loss, and now Braxton's injuries negating OSUn's loss to VT. Well, you can negate that Ole Miss loss because of Drake and the Center going down! /dancingbanana.gif

I am more than alright in saying that Oregon should be #1. As long as Alabama is #2 or #3 in that instance, means they'll play in New Orleans rather than California. Better chances to get more of our fans to the game.

I don't think anyone rational has issues with Bama as a top 4 team. It's Clanga state that people want removed.

I'm actually down with adding BYU right now. Very underrated asset IMO.

Good in most sports with a large, loyal, nationwide fanbase. Nice road trip destination too.

I agree, and it will give Texas more opportunities to redeem ourselves against them >.<

Then we just need one more out of Louisville, Cinci, UCF, or FSU. Too bad USF sucks balls in everything but student body size right now or I would say go after them.

KingGondo

Banned
I agree, and it will give Texas more opportunities to redeem ourselves against them >.<

Then we just need one more out of Louisville, Cinci, UCF, or FSU. Too bad USF sucks balls in everything but student body size right now or I would say go after them.
I don't think there's any way to get an ACC team for a long time.

BYU and Cincy get my vote.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
That is true, but the overall division is a lot more complicated than that.

Minnesota can win the division by winning out.

Iowa can win by winning out and having Minnesota lose one game.

Nebraska can win by winning out and having Wisconsin lose two games.

Otherwise Wisconsin wins.

That makes more sense. Thanks!

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

If we're dreaming up a scenario in which FSU is any way possible in the next decade (and I don't think it is) then I don't think we'd only be taking one team from the ACC. If FSU is part of a deal to expand the conference, then either some other ACC team will be the other half of the deal to get to 12 or the deal itself will involve going up to 14.

You Big XII guys with your plots and schemes, knowing that the Big XII is the likely conference to segment and go west, east, and north, as it is the conference that came closest to imploding (other than the old Big East, of course) during the last round of movement.

That said, if you're fantasizing about new configurations, allow me to suggest a return to more sane days of 8 or 10 team conferences where everybody played everybody (2x in basketball!) and there were no notions of imbalanced schedules and so called "conference rivals" that never play each other. Bonus if they actually fit into a tight geographic footprint. The Big XII is actually the ideal, other than the name being stupid and the geography being suspect.

KingGondo

Banned
You Big XII guys with your plots and schemes, knowing that the Big XII is the likely conference to segment and go west, east, and north, as it is the conference that came closest to imploding (other than the old Big East, of course) during the last round of movement.

That said, if you're fantasizing about new configurations, allow me to suggest a return to more sane days of 8 or 10 team conferences where everybody played everybody (2x in basketball!) and there were no notions of imbalanced schedules and so called "conference rivals" that never play each other. Bonus if they actually fit into a tight geographic footprint. The Big XII is actually the ideal, other than the name being stupid and the geography being suspect.
The geography's fine except for WVU.

I do miss the days of realignment though. RIP Manifest Destiny Conference.

*pours one out*

Lots of reports coming out that Braxton is coming back next season, could be interesting.....

I am extremely excited to see how we use him. He is such a dynamic play maker and one of the most elusive players in the nation...I can't see him taking away JT's job, but I have no doubt Tom Herman can come up with something special for him.

HeySeuss

Lots of reports coming out that Braxton is coming back next season, could be interesting.....

The report I read said he's planning on staying for now. His quotes talk about coming back stronger than ever and leading the team. I dont think the players see him as their leader anymore.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Texas 2015

Sep 5: @ Notre Dame
Sept 12: vs. Rice
Sept 19: vs. Cal
Sept 26: vs. OKST
Oct 3: @ TCU
Oct 10: vs. OU (in Dallas)
Oct. 24: vs. K-State
Oct. 31: @ ISU
Nov. 7 vs. Kansas
Nov. 14: @ WVU
Nov. 26: vs. Texas Tech
Dec. 5th: @ Baylor

Hopefully our 2 game series with the Domers goes better than our 3 game series with BYU. We could easily start the season with an L next year which would be a bummer

I think we take down an overrated domer team and open 4-0.

The real slog to me on the schedule is TCU, OU and K-state back to back.

Knowing the American, the full schedule won't be out until spring.

I know we play FIU, South Carolina, and Stanford OOC. We're still looking for a 4th game, but teams are refusing to play UCF. So likely we will be stuck scheduling a FCS team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom