• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 14: Brought to you by the letter I: Incidental and Insignificant

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Also a healthy does of fuck the B1G, though I appreciate the bolding of Michigan.

I only highlighted schools that have been somewhat relevant in a national title conversation in the last 15 years.

Not schools that bothered to upset someone once and then did celebratory cartwheels.

I only highlighted schools that have been somewhat relevant in a national title conversation in the last 15 years.

Not schools that bothered to upset someone once and then did celebratory cartwheels.

No, you're fine - the word was "elite"; if anything you shouldn't have bolded Michigan. :/

I was just amused that there are six B1G teams on that list and only two got bolded. It's a damn shame, frankly.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Multi-tie for 110th, eh?

Fun Fact: It has been almost 15 years, but I paid less than a single semester of the modern day out-of-state tuition for my degree... including on-campus housing.

Trying to grasp what you're saying. That your 4 year degree (assuming) cost less than that schools current single year out of state tuition?

You know, looking at the 9k a year tuition, I could bust up my old 401k and potentially improve my current standard of living!

Wonder how much of a tax penalty that'd be :/

Trying to grasp what you're saying. That your 4 year degree (assuming) cost less than that schools current single year out of state tuition?

You know, looking at the 9k a year tuition, I could bust up my old 401k and potentially improve my current standard of living!

Roll your old 401K into an IRA and I believe you can cover higher education expenses penalty-free, though it would be taxable income (assuming it's coming from a pre-tax account).

jjasper

Week 13 Meltdown featuring The Vols, Ole Miss, USC, and Nebraska.

I could only think of smart-ass things to say about the SEC teams, so everyone gets off easy by proxy.

I still don't understand why our fans got so upset about the loss. They are all jumping on Butch for the coaching too which I don't really get either. Yeah his clock management skills are right out of the Les Miles book of coaching but that really wouldn't have mattered in the end. I don't understand people jumping on the playcalling or the gameplan. Maybe I am easy to please but it was pretty fucking obvious after the second series our O line had no chance of stopping Mizzou's front four.

Limedust

I actually mistyped, but what you are saying is correct. I was accepted by UA, UK, and GT, but UA put money on the table.

- UA gave me the in-state tuition rate.
- I was lucky and got a few partial scholarships. I think I filled out something like 75 different applications initially (every last one that I could find), and wrote "Thank You" letters to the ones I got each semester... and they kept getting extended.
- UA ran the "2-Plus Plan" while I was there, where if you paid for two full years of on-campus housing, then you got two years for free.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Already sold on Stanford being a successful program? They had a great 4-year run, but they happened to have an amazing quarterback, USC was under sanctions, and UCLA and Cal were terrible.

UCLA and Cal are almost always terrible.

Also, I was trolling Cyan.

Crazy Stat of the day :

if you take away all of Melvin Gordon's 4th quarter rushing yards he would still be leading the nation in rushing.

#thanksNebraska

cdyhybrid

Does anyone remember how college players felt about Harbaugh while at Stanford? I know the NFL guys dont like, but dont remember hearing a ton in college.

Sherman and Baldwin weren't huge fans IIRC. Don't think it came up until they played against him when he was coach of the Niners though.

I keep forgetting UCLA is a non football school :(

Enfinit

Apparently FSU is in talks with Bama for a 2017 home opener. That means we'd open up the 2016 and 2017 seasons against SEC teams, and two out of our four out-of-conference games would be SEC teams. Our schedule might actually be pretty rugged those years.

Can't wait for that quality loss™.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...-schools/top-engineering-schools/eng-rankings

There are a number of successful programs highlighted in bold.

Plus Aggy and Cal Bear, but they seem to back up your point about Georgia Tech.

What % of the Stanford, Michigan, Texas and USC football programs are engineering majors? What % of the Georgia Tech football team is?

Georgia Southern isn't bowl eligible, even though we won our conference and will likely have 9 wins, due to this being our first year in the FBS. Same thing for App State.

My bad, ESPN has an * next to your name meaning Bowl Eligible.

Just noticed we have 3 mid-majors ranked in the AP poll and 0 mid-majors in the CFB playoff poll. Perhaps autonomy has already kicked in, but a public statement hasn't been officially released yet.

Crazy Stat of the day :

if you take away all of Melvin Gordon's 4th quarter rushing yards he would still be leading the nation in rushing.

#thanksNebraska

Now imagine how disgusting his rushing stats would be if Wisconsin had played an FBS team in week 2

Dude would legitimately be in range of 2500 in the regular season right now.

Now imagine how disgusting his rushing stats would be if Wisconsin had played an FBS team in week 2

Dude would legitimately be in range of 2500 in the regular season right now.

Wut.

He only rushed for 38 yards on 17 carries in week 2 vs Western Illinois.

God Damn it UNL, western illinois held him to under 40 yards!

Yup. UCLA is pretty decent in other sports but in football, we suck. This year was our only chance. Toughest schedule in the nation and we choked one game against Utah

hey, you guys could still make it if you win out and Baylor, TCU, and Ohio State all lose once :p

Sotha_Sil

Just noticed we have 3 mid-majors ranked in the AP poll and 0 mid-majors in the CFB playoff poll. Perhaps autonomy has already kicked in, but a public statement hasn't been officially released yet.

We'll see what the CFP does tonight. At some point you have to figure one of 11-0 Marshall, 10-1 Colorado St, and 9-2 Boise St teams can get ranked, especially when we're getting to the point where 4 loss teams are up for consideration.

They'll have them ranked by the end of the season, for sure. We could end up with a 13-0 Marshall team and a 12-1 Colorado St team (provided Utah St beats Boise St). If nothing else, the CFP will give them a ranking just for TV ratings... can't have an unranked team playing in the New Year's bowl games.

Not that this will happen, but if Florida State loses to Florida and UCLA somehow beat Oregon I think UCLA would be ranked ahead of them.

Agreed. There are 7 P5 teams with 1 loss or less. If that number gets down to 3 teams, then UCLA is the first 2 loss team that gets in.

I dont see anyway how baylor can jump tcu if they both win out. If the committee doesnt think theyre the better team now how can they say they will be in 2 weeks?

Amazing how ESPN keeps talking about tcu beating Minny yet doesnt say anything about OSU beating them on the road in 10 degree snow storm.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Former Politicians and Waterboys Playoff Poll
Week 14 Y'all
1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. Florida State
4. Mississippi State
5. TCU
6. Ohio State
7. Baylor
8. UCLA
9. Georgia
10. Michigan State
11. Arizona
12. Kansas State
13. Arizona State
14. Wisconsin
15. Auburn
16. Georgia Tech
17. Missouri
18. Minnesota
19. Ole' Miss
20. Oklahoma
21. Clemson
22. Louisville
23. Boise State
24. Marshall
25. Utah

updated to OP

So, what did Minnesota do to jump up 8 spots? Only lose by 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom