• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 15: Championship Week - Cool as Nacho Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draxal

Shame that the program is being shut down. I was curious about what went into it so I was looking for some articles, ran across this crazy factoid. Had no idea about Rutgers.

The amount of the subsidy was due to the Rice fall out. Had to buyout him and our AD while we had no conference payouts for 2 years (Big East/AAC withheld everything).

Our AD was really popular so donorship died with him for a bit.

edit.

We also sponsor 27 sports which is way more than a school with our donorships levels should be supporting.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
oh yeah, UAB officially done.

B34LWKyIcAA8yFv.jpg

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/12/2/7322021/uab-football-announcement-timothy-alexander-watts
Bryant Jr. is a little, little man.

IbkidwY.gif

StoopKid

The Raiders are more appealing than Michigan right now.

At least the expectations are realistic in Oakland, they have some nice young talent, and they'll probably have the #1 pick this year with a lot of good QBs available.

If you go to Michigan you'd better be winning the division within three years max or the seat will get very warm.

michigan has a lot of young talent.

Plus the raiders ain't drafting a qb with carr.

lol why would a Chippewa go so hard on UA?

most "liked" facebook post from espn article said:
David G. Peterson · Top Commenter · Central Michigan University
Sorry, UAB. Nick Saban needs solid gold doors to go with his newly paid-for mansion. The 'Bama BOT will also require you pay further tribute in the form of 70 vestal virgins, readily available to be sacrificed when Saban joins Bear Bryant in Valhalla...or Palm Beach, FL, wherever he retires to when he gets tens of millions in severance/pension. Oh, and you'll have to sell off entire swathes of UAB campus to cover that too. And you're clearly awful people too. Bear Bryant wills it!

At least the expectations are realistic in Oakland, they have some nice young talent, and they'll probably have the #1 pick this year with a lot of good QBs available.

If you go to Michigan you'd better be winning the division within three years max or the seat will get very warm.

Keep in mind it's the Raiders. They'll hire and fire 3 coaches by the time Michigan fires their next one.

Draxal

Hey Husker posters,

Apparently the real reason Pelini is gone that he stood up for Tim Beck and other assistant coaches ... and apparently shit's going to go down on them.

Any truth to that rumor?

Yeah, not understanding the sentiment of why UAB couldn't just go back to FCS status and cut the budget tremendously, if it was all about money. Let them build a paltry High School football field to play on campus and be done with it.

Will say, people mad, and let the president know about it

I really don't think it was about money. They presented plans to help get them out of their shit situation.

Weren't they able to put together a solid financial plan for an on-campus stadium? But the Alabama BoT refused to even officially review the information. Of course you also hear about the situation voiding Jimbo Fisher's contract and other issues too. I think politics reigned first before any money issues.

mre

Yeah, not understanding the sentiment of why UAB couldn't just go back to FCS status and cut the budget tremendously, if it was all about money. Let them build a paltry High School football field to play on campus and be done with it.

Will say, people mad, and let the president know about it
It wasn't just about the budget. It was personal for Bryant Jr. And this isn't just speculation. Bill Gates could have died, leaving his entire fortune to UAB football and the BoT would have still shut the program down.

On going down to FCS: they could have just played at Regions for a couple of years to gauge fan support.

Draxal

It wasn't just about the budget. It was personal for Bryant Jr. And this isn't just speculation. Bill Gates could have died, leaving his entire fortune to UAB football and the BoT would have still shut the program down.

On going down to FCS: they could have just played at Regions for a couple of years to gauge fan support.

The stuff I'm hearing about Bryant Jr. isn't pretty at all.

andycapps

Brendan Langley (backup DB from UGA) transferred last night. JJ Green (5th string RB/4th string safety) said today that he wants to play offense and is transferring. Wondering if we're starting to see some Bama style roster management in Athens with Pruitt's influence to nudge guys out the door so he can replace them with more talented recruits.

KingGondo

Banned
michigan has a lot of young talent.

Plus the raiders ain't drafting a qb with carr.
New coaches get their choice of QB unless there's a really well-established guy already there.

Also, you don't not draft Mariota, Hundley, or Winston because you have Derek Carr.

Damn so fucked. That's bad juju, man.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Brendan Langley (backup DB from UGA) transferred last night. JJ Green (5th string RB/4th string safety) said today that he wants to play offense and is transferring. Wondering if we're starting to see some Bama style roster management in Athens with Pruitt's influence to nudge guys out the door so he can replace them with more talented recruits.

maracaGus.0.0.gif

mre

The stuff I'm hearing about Bryant Jr. isn't pretty at all.
His daddy was a great football coach and did a lot for both the University and the state, but could also be a son of a bitch. Junior inherited not only his dad's business acumen but also his dickish ability to hold a grudge concerning slights, real or perceived.

andycapps

The amount of the subsidy was due to the Rice fall out. Had to buyout him and our AD while we had no conference payouts for 2 years (Big East/AAC withheld everything).

Our AD was really popular so donorship died with him for a bit.

edit.

We also sponsor 27 sports which is way more than a school with our donorships levels should be supporting.

Makes sense. Have donations picked up with your new AD? I wouldn't think alumni would be too happy right now.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Jim Dunaway ‏@jimdunaway 1m1 minute ago
UAB will honor players scholarships and coaches contracts. Prez will fight to stay in CUSA. That is a long shot with NO non-football schools

One of Georgia's Beat Writers linked UAB's Roster and Stats :lol

Gentry Estes ‏@GentryEstes247 2m2 minutes ago
Not to be picking over warm bones or anything ... But links to UAB's roster and stats from this season ... http://bit.ly/1viY5Ym
Which is here

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Hey Husker posters,

Apparently the real reason Pelini is gone that he stood up for Tim Beck and other assistant coaches ... and apparently shit's going to go down on them.

Any truth to that rumor?

No like direct information, but that was my feeling on what happen, like just knowning his history, that's part of what I felt went down. I felt that Eichorst sat down with Pelini, said "Sack [insert assistant(s)'s names here].", Pelini refused, and was shown the door. Pelini was literally loyal-to-a-fault to his assistants, and I honestly wouldn't surprise me if that was part of what did him in. I don't think we'll ever know for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit. So I have no facts to support said rumors, but that was always my hunch.

You can bet a lot of them are gonna get the boot with the new coach though. At the very least, Beck and Papuchis (and maybe Cotton + a few other assistants) are already toast.

Draxal

Makes sense. Have donations picked up with your new AD? I wouldn't think alumni would be too happy right now.

It's actually picking up again.

First off, the school's ecstatic to be in the Big Ten and the conference payout is much much much higher even at the rate we're being given due to the fact that we are a junior member.

She's also making inroads on some big guns that we haven't been able to touch before, rumored to include Bernie Marcus of Home Depot fame.

Draxal

Today is all Offseason, all bad News day.

Hoke gone
UAB Gone
Pat Sulliven at Samford gone
NCAA kicks Georgia Southern down
Winston will inevitably be approved by a group of impartial judges (or whatever you want to call them)
Houston Nutt is still unemployed

Wait you don't listen to Houston on Sirius?

His daddy was a great football coach and did a lot for both the University and the state, but could also be a son of a bitch. Junior inherited not only his dad's business acumen but also his dickish ability to hold a grudge concerning slights, real or perceived.

I hear it stems from Gene Bartow accusing Bama of cheating or something under Bryant? Or was it the BB program?

cdyhybrid

It's Florida. We turned it over 5 times and still won by 20+ (and most offensive yards ever put on Florida)

Thanks for this, I actually couldn't remember who FSU played that game and was too lazy to look it up.

Today is all Offseason, all bad News day.

Winston will inevitably be approved by a group of impartial judges (or whatever you want to call them)

I'm sure he will be subject to as rigorous and thorough a process as the pledges of the most prestigious Greek houses.

I'd agree in the sense that all 32 NFL are better jobs; and if we're ranking all the jobs like that I can easily see where Michigan is something like the 50th best job in football. But I also think JH is one of the five or six best coaches in the world, and would shoot UM into the 11-1 tier by year three, especially in that conference. Unless we're playing the "recruit rankings don't mean shit" card, don't forget Michigan had multiple top 5 recruiting classes under Hoke, and it surely won't fail to have the same sort of classes under Harbaugh. I have him pegged as the next Saban if he comes to Michigan. He probably won't, granted, but that's where I have him pegged if he does.

My gut's telling me it's gonna be Les Miles, and instead of jumping into the 11-1 tier, they'll jump into the 9-3 tier.

Or it's gonna be neither Harbaugh or Miles and we risk falling into the abyss for another decade. Pretty exciting, mostly.

cdyhybrid

I'd agree in the sense that all 32 NFL are better jobs; and if we're ranking all the jobs like that I can easily see where Michigan is something like the 50th best job in football. But I also think JH is one of the five or six best coaches in the world, and would shoot UM into the 11-1 tier by year three, especially in that conference. Unless we're playing the "recruit rankings don't mean shit" card, don't forget Michigan had multiple top 5 recruiting classes under Hoke, and it surely won't fail to have the same sort of classes under Harbaugh. I have him pegged as the next Saban if he comes to Michigan. He probably won't, granted, but that's where I have him pegged if he does.

My gut's telling me it's gonna be Les Miles, and instead of jumping into the 11-1 tier, they'll jump into the 9-3 tier.

Or it's gonna be neither Harbaugh or Miles and we risk falling into the abyss for another decade. Pretty exciting, mostly.

Can your AD deal with Harbaugh being a raging asshole? He's not getting run out of SF because he's a bad coach.

On an unrelated note, some asshole decided to schedule a John Oliver show here in Columbus on the same night as the B1G Championship game.

I want to kick that person in the balls (or ladyparts) so goddamn bad.

Right?! I was pumped seeing oliver was coming, then saw the date....

mre

I hear it stems from Gene Bartow accusing Bama of cheating or something under Bryant? Or was it the BB program?
I'm not entirely clear on the entire motivations behind Bear Bryant's hatred of UAB, but I believe it stems from hard feelings between Gene Bartow (UAB's first BB coach and AD) and Bear Bryant. Junior has apparently expressed on multiple occasions a desire to shut the program down like his dad wanted. The accusations of cheating came to light after Bryant died, so those would have been nothing more than additional incentive for Junior.

StoopKid

New coaches get their choice of QB unless there's a really well-established guy already there.

Also, you don't not draft Mariota, Hundley, or Winston because you have Derek Carr.

No way in hell you take a qb in the 1st round back to back years.

When was the last time that happen ?

Oozer3993

LOL. Reading some stories that came from Michigan's past two coaching searches is hilarious. Miles ready to join Michigan after the BCS championship but the meeting with the UM AD was leaked a week before the game, Hoke over Sumlin, Harbaugh possibly not contacted about the position in 2011, Brandon hired Hoke without a proper search. Whether any of these stories are real is debatable but I'm sure there's a few grains of truth in each of them.

Sadly, there's quite a bit of truth to them. The 2007 search in particular was an utter debacle. Michigan AD Bill Martin's first choice was Tony Dungy. Lord only knows why he thought the Super Bowl winning coach would come to Michigan. He also stated that he had no interest in Les Miles, who's LSU squad was in the National Championship Game that year (and would end up winning it over, guess who, Ohio State). Then in early December, somebody told Kirk Herbstreit that Les Miles had agreed to become the new coach at Michigan and so he reported it on air. I have no idea where Herbie got it from, because it wasn't even close to true. Les Miles had been trying to contact the Martin, and failing to get a response, for days. And he wasn't gonna have any luck the day Herbstreit "broke" the news because Martin was on vacation on his boat off the Florida coast with his only form of communication a brand new cell phone he didn't know how to use. Seriously.

Can your AD deal with Harbaugh being a raging asshole? He's not getting run out of SF because he's a bad coach.

I've heard people say his personality could be better suited for college. Other than that I don't know much about it. Hackett and Harbaugh might already get along great, I have no idea. I know Hackett played on a team Jim's dad coached.

cdyhybrid

I've heard people say his personality could be better suited for college. Other than that I don't know much about it. Hackett and Harbaugh might already get along great, I have no idea. I know Hackett played on a team Jim's dad coached.

He'd definitely be a better fit in college (unless he got a coach AND GM job in the NFL or something). I've just read that he rubs people the wrong way after a while, so I guess the less people he has to answer to, the better.

Kacar

So when a football program just "dies" like that do the players get to transfer without taking a year off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom