• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 4: Jerry was a UCLA Quarterback

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a fellow Florida fan, you should know the reason: After being spoiled by years of having stellar offenses and defenses, any slight cracks in the system (see alabama's first game this year) cause mistrust and panic in the fanbase who begin to assume that the glory days are ending. It usually revolves around finding a scapegoat. (Bama: Kiffin, Florida: Addazio)

I don't think anyone has put it better, ever.

edit: Except Addazio really was a terrible OC/recruiter.

I figured I had to change it from celebrating cotton at some point, but rather than going back to the original, our DC provided an option for a new version with the stories about him showing up to work high.

Someday I may get to go back to the original, but history has shown there's no real end to the random wheels-off stories that just randomly pop up regarding Tech throughout the year.

Haha I didn't realize your avatar was being used as a reflection of the Tech program. I suppose if I did that for my avatar, Ron Paul would be dismissed :/

Lunar15

I don't think anyone has put it better, ever.

edit: Except Addazio really was a terrible OC/recruiter.

His inability to recruit actually hurts us to this day. Although, we've kind of had a string of lousy recruiters. I read a statistic that we've recruited less top O-Linemen than any other school in the SEC in the past four years, but I can't attribute a source to that so it might as well be "tales from my ass". Feels true though. Our O-Line has been an issue since the Meyer years.

His inability to recruit actually hurts us to this day. Although, we've kind of had a string of lousy recruiters. I read a statistic that we've recruited less top O-Linemen than any other school in the SEC in the past four years, but I can't attribute a source to that so it might as well be "tales from my ass". Feels true though. Our O-Line has been an issue since the Meyer years.

It's true though. We whiffed on so many linemen.

andycapps

I don't know, we've had some bad lines too. That we've had some decent RB's able to make yards after contact makes them look better than they are. Our line this year is somewhere between awful and average. But honestly, we put most of our attention in recruiting on skill players so it's not shocking.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Haha I didn't realize your avatar was being used as a reflection of the Tech program. I suppose if I did that for my avatar, Ron Paul would be dismissed :/

Only originally did it because somebody joked that I should have gone blackface with it after the whole Celebrate Cotton thing. Obviously wasn't going to do that full on but I figured the negative version would serve even if it was a bit ambiguous.

KingGondo

Banned
Only originally did it because somebody joked that I should have gone blackface with it after the whole Celebrate Cotton thing. Obviously wasn't going to do that full on but I figured the negative version would serve even if it was a bit ambiguous.
Will you do a bloodied version with a black eye after next Thursday's game?

;)

(I have to say, the amount of negativity coming out of Lubbock right now is astounding and unprecedented since they joined the Big 12.)

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Will you do a bloodied version with a black eye after next Thursday's game?

;)

(I have to say, the amount of negativity coming out of Lubbock right now is astounding and unprecedented since they joined the Big 12.)

I'm still generally optimistic for the future but it's going to be a rough year or two, possibly more if Mike Smith makes any drastic changes to the defense. Switching defensive coordinators (and more importantly, defensive schemes) every year both keeps the players from getting comfortable with a system and keeps the roster from being built for whatever system we're using.

The Oklahoma State model is actually not a bad counterpoint: you guys have had a revolving door of offensive coordinators but every time a new guy is brought in the system stays the same. If Tech had just been hiring new DCs that run the same scheme the last one did, even if the annual spectacular flameouts had gone on unabated we'd be in a much better position right now.

Tech is still a pretty good team right now IMO if the games stay close. The problem is that if the opponent has a running game with any pulse at all it will only take a two score lead for them to essentially put the game away completely. Look at the Arkansas game and see how competitive it was until Tech threw a pick to set up Arky's two score lead, at which point it was basically completely over despite all the time left on the clock.

Also doesn't help that Webb has somehow regressed from his true freshman year despite now being the unquestioned starter and no longer splitting any reps.

andycapps

There may be some violence at UGA right now at the MLC and Tate Center. As far as I know, they've evacuated due to a threat of violence but I don't know that anything has happened yet.

Not making a thread until if/when something happens.

KingGondo

Banned
The Oklahoma State model is actually not a bad counterpoint: you guys have had a revolving door of offensive coordinators but every time a new guy is brought in the system stays the same. If Tech had just been hiring new DCs that run the same scheme the last one did, even if the annual spectacular flameouts had gone on unabated we'd be in a much better position right now.
The big turning point was when we hired Holgorsen and then continued the same system with Monken. That's a big reason why I think we'll stick with Garman the rest of the year as long as he isn't terrible. Virtually every QB we recruit now is a pocket passer. Our true freshman, Mason Rudolph, has a chance to be special from what I've seen and heard.

Hopefully he's able to redshirt and we don't repeat the whole Wes Lunt debacle.

Tech is still a pretty good team right now IMO if the games stay close. The problem is that if the opponent has a running game with any pulse at all it will only take a two score lead for them to essentially put the game away completely. Look at the Arkansas game and see how competitive it was until Tech threw a pick to set up Arky's two score lead, at which point it was basically completely over despite all the time left on the clock.
I'm curious to see how our O-line does against Tech's D. I know you think that's a silly question, but we've had trouble pushing defensive linemen off the line of scrimmage, even against UTSA.

Not sure that we'll see the kind of inevitable improvement in OL play that we saw every year with Wickline as our OL coach.

Also doesn't help that Webb has somehow regressed from his true freshman year despite now being the unquestioned starter and no longer splitting any reps.
It still seems crazy to me that KK didn't do more to keep Mayfield around.

ACC GAF, what are Clemson's realistic chances this weekend?

I think you were set up.
We're not counting on any miracles. We're just hoping we hang in the game longer than last year's disaster.
I'd give us a 15% of pulling anything off against FSU and that's being generous.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I'm curious to see how our O-line does against Tech's D. I know you think that's a silly question, but we've had trouble pushing defensive linemen off the line of scrimmage, even against UTSA.

Not sure that we'll see the kind of inevitable improvement in OL play that we saw every year with Wickline as our OL coach.
I'm hoping to see a lot fewer stunts and slants and more basic assignment type play by the defense. Could help a lot.

LBs still need to learn how to tackle, though.

It still seems crazy to me that KK didn't do more to keep Mayfield around.
I think Mayfield's decision was 100% made before Kliff even knew he was considering a transfer. When he wasn't outright gifted with the unquestioned starter role that his play on the field didn't earn him he decided to follow his girlfriend up to OU and that was that.

KingGondo

Banned
I'm hoping to see a lot fewer stunts and slants and more basic assignment type play by the defense. Could help a lot.

LBs still need to learn how to tackle, though.
Don't get me wrong, I'll still be disappointed if we don't put a hurting on you guys. But there's always a chance it could be closer than expected.

That being said, our defense (and especially our front and CBs) will give lots of people problems this year. Our pass rush is nasty. If Tech breaks 24 I'll be surprised.

I think we'll win by something in the neighborhood of 45-20.

I think Mayfield's decision was 100% made before Kliff even knew he was considering a transfer. When he wasn't outright gifted with the unquestioned starter role that his play on the field didn't earn him he decided to follow his girlfriend up to OU and that was that.
That's definitely possible. I just find it odd that OU seems to think so much more highly of him than Tech does. I've heard quite a few OU fans remark that he'd challenge Knight for the starting job if he was eligible this year.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
As a fellow Florida fan, you should know the reason: After being spoiled by years of having stellar offenses and defenses, any slight cracks in the system (see alabama's first game this year) cause mistrust and panic in the fanbase who begin to assume that the glory days are ending. It usually revolves around finding a scapegoat. (Bama: Kiffin, Florida: Addazio)
Why would Kiffin be the scapegoat? I don't understand. He's not the reason why our QB cupboard is currently relatively bare and/or young. Kiffin could not have walked into a better situation in terms of responsibility avoidance. Regardless, he's done a good job so far of playing to the strengths of whichever QB is under center.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Why would Kiffin be the scapegoat? I don't understand. He's not the reason why our QB cupboard is currently relatively bare and/or young. Kiffin could not have walked into a better situation in terms of responsibility avoidance. Regardless, he's done a good job so far of playing to the strengths of whichever QB is under center.

Since when was it actually the scapegoat's fault?

mre

Since when was it actually the scapegoat's fault?
You generally have to have some reason to tie it to the scapegoat, and it's usually much easier to scapegoat someone who's already left town, i.e., Nussmeier. There's literally nothing Kiffin could do, short of dropping his pants and taking a shit on the field, where anyone would think our lack of on the field production should be laid at his feet.

As an aside, Florida fans should be fucking ashamed of this:
aRPT2S4.jpg
https://twitter.com/UF/status/512954063169003520

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I just find it odd that OU seems to think so much more highly of him than Tech does. I've heard quite a few OU fans remark that he'd challenge Knight for the starting job if he was eligible this year.
Playing well in practice was never Mayfield's problem.

mre

I don't understand how the spread on the Bama game is smaller than the FSU game.
Because:

1. Clempsoning
2. Gus Malzahn is a penis
3. Bama's QB is unproven against a real defense, so nobody knows whether we'll be able to move the ball or not.

Lunar15

I'm not personally saying he's to blame at all. I agree with you that he's done fine. But he has been targeted as a scapegoat whenever something goes wrong, though. He's just something that's new, and new stuff is what people attack things aren't perfect. Also, you have to admit, the Kiffin Cam has been a hilarious invention that only serves to make the bama fanbase freak out even more when something goes wrong. The media's feeding into it.

You generally have to have some reason to tie it to the scapegoat, and it's usually much easier to scapegoat someone who's already left town, i.e., Nussmeier. There's literally nothing Kiffin could do, short of dropping his pants and taking a shit on the field, where anyone would think our lack of on the field production should be laid at his feet.

As an aside, Florida fans should be fucking ashamed of this:

https://twitter.com/UF/status/512954063169003520

Don't look at me, that shit is awful.

The sad thing is the crowd would have looked pretty much the same without the rain.

Ref got booed like hell for calling USF UCF. Hopefully he doesn't associate us with them ever again.

They were competent! You know, before Mr. Holtz showed up and everything.
They were ranked #2 for like a week!

But yes, firing Jim Leavitt turned out to be a horrible mistake.

Edit: Just saw their commercial. Ugh sounded like a 90s era for profit school commercial. Crappy animations and "regional powerhouse" lololol.

And happy taint USF!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom