• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 8: Biased Pollsters Prevent America from Experiencing Game of the Century.

Status
Not open for further replies.
#notallfootballplayers

#tomahawkgate

The stuff that bothered me more than anything was the widespread BB gun fights involving a large number of FSU players. We had a guy here last year shooting darts at people from a blowgun on campus. That kind of stuff scares the shit out of me.

Auburn and Alabama play.

Correct, that's why I limit the SECW to 2, because they'll hand losses to one another.

But if they have two teams with no more than 1 loss, I think they're both in. Auburn and Alabama can't both do it, but one can, but the Mississippi schools have the obvious inside track at the moment.

Talon

I'm just saying google will tell you a number of things all of which may be false or true or half truths.

The Police did a crappy job investigating the case. And there is little to no evidence proving anything besides he-said-she-said. Chances are unless there is a confession, a smoking gun or a recant we will never know for sure what happened that night.
In all seriousness, the only thing that's clear to me is that the Tallahassee PD failed at following-up at the case, and, by all accounts, it's out of the ordinary to reach out to the FSU Athletic Department about this. The fact that there's been a long history - based on the NYTimes story - of the Tallahassee PD's reluctance to chase down football players on pretty obvious charges (e.g. the stolen scooter) doesn't inspire confidence in the public's perception that the girl's accusation got a fair shake.
Whatever. I don't personally like Winston, but I don't understand why he's getting so much heat from everybody. He's a heck of a football player and should be a franchise player in the NFL.
As has been posted multiple times over the past three pages, he's a poster child for the football star that's put on a pedestal and made of teflon. The fact that each incident around him has been characterized by "adversity" and a rally cry for that team (per Gameday this AM) and by Jimbo exemplifies the gross aspects of this game.

Last year it was Johnny Manziel or (in some circles) Nick Marshall (who got kicked off a team and then "rallied" to lead an undefeated team). Before that, it was SCAM. Before that, it was Maurice Clarrett, a tailback that carried the rock for the Ohio State Buckeyes. Etc.

That's the legitimate reason that people find him unsavory.

KingGondo

Banned
Whatever. I don't personally like Winston, but I don't understand why he's getting so much heat from everybody. He's a heck of a football player and should be a franchise player in the NFL.
Because he's the poster boy for the privilege that being an elite athlete in a town/school/area that is blinded by the cult of football buys you.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

He keeps constantly screwing up, whether it be big or small. What irritates me is after the whole rape scandal came and went, you would think he would say "that was close, I need to keep my shit straight from now on" but it he hasn't done it. Its pure speculation, but Winston strikes me as the small town sports hero that has always gotten away with his fuck ups. Nobody ever held him accountable and he doesn't have the sense to tone it down. He thinks he's invincible and he has zero self awareness. When it does catch up to him, I think its going to be too late, no more chances.

If they win out, then yes.

That would be quite the feat since they still have to play at Ole Miss, at Georgia and at Bama before it's all said and done. I don't see it. Good team but they were really outplayed by Kansas St. They're not as charmed as last yr + that schedule will eat them.

I don't see 2 SEC teams. The SEC West is going to eat each other. I think only one team gets out of there with 1 loss at best (probably the Miss. St. at Bama winner).

I'd bet on Miss. St. to emerge as I think their offense is more reliable than Bama's, week in, week out.

That would be quite the feat since they still have to play at Ole Miss, at Georgia and at Bama before it's all said and done. I don't see it. Good team but they were really outplayed by Kansas St. They're not as charmed as last yr + that schedule will eat them.

I don't see 2 SEC teams. The SEC West is going to eat each other. I think only one team gets out of there with 1 loss at best (probably the Miss. St. at Bama winner).

I'd bet on Miss. St. to emerge as I think their offense is more reliable than Bama's, week in, week out.

It's honestly not too hard to think that Bama beats Miss St and then wins out, then Miss St beats Ole Miss and both be in. If Miss St's loss was close.

Zigzz14

B0SBR02CQAEoeO2.jpg

Holding Notre Dame. HAHAHAHAHAHA

I might have to rethink my math. SECW could get 3.

Ole Miss, Mississippi State, and the Alabama/Auburn winner could all finish the season with just 1 loss. (For example, Alabama beats Mississippi State, who beats Ole Miss, and all 3 lose to nobody else.) (Or... Auburn beats Ole Miss, who beats Mississippi State, and all 3 lose to nobody else.)

Book it.

Playoff:

Ole Miss
Miss State
Bama/Auburn
Florida State unless they faceplant, in which case Notre Dame

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Georgia could easily sneak into this thing, especially if they get Gurley back.

Their only real comp before the ccg is Auburn who looks super beatable.

I might have to rethink my math. SECW could get 3.

Ole Miss, Mississippi State, and the Alabama/Auburn winner could all finish the season with just 1 loss. (For example, Alabama beats Mississippi State, who beats Ole Miss, and all 3 lose to nobody else.) (Or... Auburn beats Ole Miss, who beats Mississippi State, and all 3 lose to nobody else.)

Book it.

Playoff:

Ole Miss
Miss State
Bama/Auburn
Florida State unless they faceplant, in which case Notre Dame

Lol Notre Dame over Michigan St. or Oregon that's hilarious.

Lol Notre Dame over Michigan St. or Oregon that's hilarious.

Notre Dame always gets the benefit of the doubt in football. Always. I joked before the season began that the playoff would be the top 3 + Notre Dame. The difference now is they might actually be worthy of being in the discussion, as tonight's loss didn't really hurt them, particularly if Florida State keeps winning.

My actual list of contenders as it stands now is

Ole Miss
Miss State
Auburn
Alabama
Georgia
Florida State
Notre Dame
Oregon
Michigan State

And I still place good odds on SEC getting 2, even as they continue to play one another and knock each other off (Auburn vs. Alabama, in particular, being an elimination game, even if they both win all other games).

Enron

Banned
I'm going to laugh if Georgia drops another game...and then wins the SEC anyway.

Georgia could easily sneak into this thing, especially if they get Gurley back.

Their only real comp before the ccg is Auburn who looks super beatable.

Not so sure about this. Even with Gurley, you will eventually come to a point where you need your QB to make a play, and I am not sure Mason can do that. Sure, he's played well the last two weeks but even with the two long throws he made today he's still just a caretaker QB instead of someone that can pull you out of a hole.

Per WRUF's Steve Russell, w Missouri loss, Florida has lost back-to-back homecoming games for first time since 1945-46.

ah hahahahahahahahahaha

pxleyes

Banned
Florida more than DOUBLED Mizzou in total offense (283-119), committed 8 fewer penalties (3 vs. 11) and lost 42-13. 24 POT for Mizzou.

Talon

Notre Dame always gets the benefit of the doubt in football. Always. I joked before the season began that the playoff would be the top 3 + Notre Dame. The difference now is they might actually be worthy of being in the discussion, as tonight's loss didn't really hurt them, particularly if Florida State keeps winning.

My actual list of contenders as it stands now is

Ole Miss
Miss State
Auburn
Alabama
Georgia
Florida State
Notre Dame
Oregon
Michigan State

And I still place good odds on SEC getting 2.
Let's see, Pac 12 and SEC get at least one spot each. Florida State seems like a lock considering their schedule (although, whatever, never say never since the 2007 Backyard Brawl). That fourth spot will be either a SEC team (either Bama or one of the Miss' will go with one loss) or maybe Notre Dame. Michigan State's locked out probably considering that weak ass schedule + (second half) ass-kicking by Oregon.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Florida more than DOUBLED Mizzou in total offense (283-119), committed 8 fewer penalties (3 vs. 11) and lost 42-13. 24 POT for Mizzou.

Definitely one of the weirdest blowouts ever.

Anybody calling us a lock haven't watched us all year. We play everybody close. We can easily still drop two games.

Florida has a double bye week(s)? shit with that much time you could fire muschamp, bring in a new coach, give the players time to learn the new regime's playbook, and be ready to go in time for the cocktail party on November 1st

Not so sure about this. Even with Gurley, you will eventually come to a point where you need your QB to make a play, and I am not sure Mason can do that. Sure, he's played well the last two weeks but even with the two long throws he made today he's still just a caretaker QB instead of someone that can pull you out of a hole.

I was saying that more as a "haha wouldn't it be funny if Georgia derailed the SEC West playoff party" comment, besides your division is a cakewalk so you only need to pull an upset once :p

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Anyone know if this is true? I've seen people say they could hear Jimbo talking to Winston, over the crowd noise at the end:

B0SBPbaIcAAeWhM.png

Let's see, Pac 12 and SEC get at least one spot each. Florida State seems like a lock considering their schedule (although, whatever, never say never since the 2007 Backyard Brawl). That fourth spot will be either a SEC team (either Bama or one of the Miss' will go with one loss) or maybe Notre Dame. Michigan State's locked out probably considering that weak ass schedule + (second half) ass-kicking by Oregon.

If the P12 champ has two losses (very possible) then they're not getting in.

It's honestly not too hard to think that Bama beats Miss St and then wins out, then Miss St beats Ole Miss and both be in. If Miss St's loss was close.

True, I could see that. But still only one gets into the SEC title game against Georgia.

To play it out....Bama beats Miss St., Miss. St. beats Ole Miss, Bama gets into the SEC title game on head to head (right?), Bama gets past Georgia.

Hmm, this is where the whole "winning your conference matters" criteria could hurt the 2nd SEC team. Especially if you have a 1 loss Oregon.....a 1 loss Michigan St., if both of those teams win their conference, and then you have a non-division winning SEC team, they could be SOL.

For the record, I think the winning your conference criteria is probably going to get too much emphasis, but it'll be an interesting test case.
Right now, I'd bet on the 4 teamer being -
1 - FSU (easy schedule rest of the way)
2 - 1 loss SEC champion (i'm betting Miss. St., but it could be Bama)
3 - Oregon (back in business with their left tackle)
4 - Michigan St. (tOSU will be tough given that JT Barrett is already a much better passer than Braxton Miller ever was, but MSU gets the game at home).
Big 12 has eaten each other out of the picture. A 1 loss TCU would be the only one that could get into the field imo. KState's going to lose again.

Talon

Anyone know if this is true? I've seen people say they could hear Jimbo talking to Winston, over the crowd noise at the end:

B0SBPbaIcAAeWhM.png
He was definitely on the mic and audible. I wasn't listening very carefully, but you could definitely listen to it on the ESPN3 recording.

Piggus

That was to be expected. Washington sucks this year.

I still relish in it year after year no matter how bad they are. They always say "we'll be better next year! Because blah blah blah insert dumb reason here."

And then they lose to us and the rest of their season falls apart because they lose all their motivation after we kick their ass. It makes me lawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom