• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chain Chronicle |OT| Funding Valkyria Chronicles 4 One IAP At A Time

Aki-at

Glad I held off giving Gumi any money! :p

If it wasn't for staying up for Shenmue 3 I wouldn't have managed rank 125.

Really wish they did it like how it was on day 1, seemed the most fun and fairest way to get the top spot.

garath

Glad I held off giving Gumi any money! :p

If it wasn't for staying up for Shenmue 3 I wouldn't have managed rank 125.

Really wish they did it like how it was on day 1, seemed the most fun and fairest way to get the top spot.

To be fair, if they did it that way, they'd probably have to tweak the rewards down a bit. It was way to easy to get into the top ranks. But this way it's impossible unless you are playing right at the last minute. I mean, rank 12 to rank 6000 and something? That's just not fair.

desverger

Finished Phoena's quest today. I prepared 10 revives but only used two in the last stage which was super hectic. Stage 3 was rough as well, but nothing compared to the last.

Couple of tips:
-3rd stage: you need a lot of mana for the last wave. There's 3-4 knight/archer bosses and you don't want them to group up.
-4th stage wave 6 has a couple of knights who are actually mages in disguise casting aoe. Sadly you need to spend some mana there to get rid of those guys fast.
-The black king can be interrupted like Aelle Gloon. If you hit him with any special while he's casting, his stupid-as-hell aoe can be interrupted and won't deal any damage/slow/poison.

I used Selene - Trystan - Coro - Lilith | Haruaki - Hassan in sub and a friend Selene. Wave heals were out of control, lol.

garath

Finished Phoena's quest today. I prepared 10 revives but only used two in the last stage which was super hectic. Stage 3 was rough as well, but nothing compared to the last.

Couple of tips:
-3rd stage: you need a lot of mana for the last wave. There's 3-4 knight/archer bosses and you don't want them to group up.
-4th stage wave 6 has a couple of knights who are actually mages in disguise casting aoe. Sadly you need to spend some mana there to get rid of those guys fast.
-The black king can be interrupted like Aelle Gloon. If you hit him with any special while he's casting, his stupid-as-hell aoe can be interrupted and won't deal any damage/slow/poison.

I used Selene - Trystan - Coro - Lilith | Haruaki - Hassan in sub and a friend Selene. Wave heals were out of control, lol.

Great tips. I'm going to be tackling this soon. My Phoena is 30 and my Trystan is now 66. Once they're leveled I'll be hitting it hard. Lilith is a comfy 51 with the dawn cane. Not too worried about her.

Gizuko

Couple of tips:

Great tips! I have been meaning to level Phoena (at least in jpCC), and was wondering about this. Would you recommend AoE over single target DPS/specials? Any useless setups? (Like -arguably- mono-mage in knight-heavy stages).

Also, I haven't found a single boss that will continue casting a special (more like, the special won't cause any damage) after being interrupted by a skill, but I probably would have forgotten to interrupt if not for the warning.

Thank you for the advice!

Lockon

I got a bunch of prysma from gauntlet over the last few weeks so decided to pull some. Got Rino on my third try. Didn't really expected that really lol

desverger

Great tips! I have been meaning to level Phoena (at least in jpCC), and was wondering about this. Would you recommend AoE over single target DPS/specials? Any useless setups? (Like -arguably- mono-mage in knight-heavy stages).

Also, I haven't found a single boss that will continue casting a special (more like, the special won't cause any damage) after being interrupted by a skill, but I probably would have forgotten to interrupt if not for the warning.

Thank you for the advice!

Single target damage for sure. In retrospect, something like Lindsey would've been a great pickup for this. The big knight bosses and Black King himself are your biggest concerns. The goonies, while they hit hard, they also die pretty fast with a MLB team. A sweeper like Trystan is of course helpful, if you can hit the boss and take out some goonies as well.

I can really only comment on soldier setups in v1, mind you. Things might be different in v2. I didn't really pay attention to mob type, but it seemed like there were mostly soldiers - running ranged damage shouldn't be an issue.

My biggest saving grace for this quest was definitely Selene. Both times when I revived, I had enough mana to combo Selene's special at least once. That was a huge help against the Black King, since Selene's special can be shot from range and does immense damage.

Dropped down to rank 127 the last minute. It's still 10 prysma and a ring though so I'm not even mad.
It seems like a really smart idea to just battle at the very, very last moment because if you're even one minute early you're going to be knocked down.

Kettch

Hm, messed up a bit with the Coliseum this time. I think I went a little too high, too early. Tried to set myself up at 68 or so with 6 minutes left, but got bumped down to 1200 before the last minute. Had to settle with 114 as I was running out of time refreshing.

I'm thinking somewhere in the 300s or so might be ideal to land. Should be able to refresh for a top 50 spot fairly easily from there in the last minute, with hopefully a much lower chance of someone knocking me further back during the 5 minute wait.

Rixa

101 was my final place.

I did all my fights in the last hour. I was 13339 place from yesterday. I had full mage party, but I think AI cant handle +5 mana after first roll. So changed my def team :p

Screenshot_2015-06-17-10-57-42.png

desverger

Hm, messed up a bit with the Coliseum this time. I think I went a little too high, too early. Tried to set myself up at 68 or so with 6 minutes left, but got bumped down to 1200 before the last minute. Had to settle with 114 as I was running out of time refreshing.

I'm thinking somewhere in the 300s or so might be ideal to land. Should be able to refresh for a top 50 spot fairly easily from there in the last minute, with hopefully a much lower chance of someone knocking me further back during the 5 minute wait.

Same thing happened to me. 10 minutes before the day changed, I jumped to rank 11. I had rank 2-5 guys in sight but when I waited 5 minutes, I had dropped 1100 ranks and refreshing those opponents only brought up ranks 140-160.

Gotta say, this ranking system seems really odd. What were they thinking? And lets not even start with the fact that this is completely unfair to people who are normally sleeping at this hour.

Rixa

Did you reach this rank by not doing anything? If that's the case we can estimate how large the active playerbase is.

Uhm I did. First day my highest rank was 48 I did my run just after the C opened. Then I didnt have battles to defend my situation :p.

- 13339 rank was first day final rank for me
- 2nd days rank I did today (see the pic), last run under 5 minutes before day changed so Iam at 101 place.

Quixzlizx

I just claimed my rewards, and they were for rank 5409 (which is my current rank today). I don't know whether I actually dropped down that far, or whether it's bugged again. I was at rank 42 when I went to sleep at 12 EST.

Yaari

Yeah I'm going to stop bothering. It's just frustrating when the ranks don't work. You're happy to have reached top 10, and you find out some bullshit kicked you back to 5000.

garath

I just claimed and ended up with the rewards from my today's rank (dammit. I didn't even do a fight yet).

It's so buggy.

I just claimed and ended up with the rewards from my today's rank (dammit. I didn't even do a fight yet).

It's so buggy.

I think ranks carry over between days. Maybe the rank you had last day was the same as your rank when you claimed.

Example:

- I do my five battles and am rank 100
- I go to sleep and get knocked down to rank 4000
- Rankings get calculated. Rewards are decided.
- I wake up and my ranking didn't change between the time ranks were calculated and when I log in (nobody wants to attack a high level team that's such a low rank)
- I claim my rank 4000 reward that I got yesterday

At least that makes sense to me.

garath

I think ranks carry over between days. Maybe the rank you had last day was the same as your rank when you claimed.

Example:

- I do my five battles and am rank 100
- I go to sleep and get knocked down to rank 4000
- Rankings get calculated.
- I wake up and my ranking hasn't changed between the time ranks were calculated and when I log in
- I claim my rank 4000 reward that I got yesterday

At least that makes sense to me.

That could be. Makes some sense. Seems shocking to me that I wasn't knocked down from 2400 or so though. Lol

That could be. Makes some sense. Seems shocking to me that I wasn't knocked down from 2400 or so though. Lol
I just ninja edited my original post but that could be because nobody really wants to attack a rank 2400. Especially if there is a risk of losing.

Aki-at

Hey guys I'm no longer a junior member! I thank Chain Chronicle and Shenmue for making this dream a reality. SEGA's future and past helped me get there within a few months : 3

I have to air my frustration at the Colosseum. Honestly the gap between sleep and when I awake is so great, I get knocked from 50 all the way down to like 1375. I wish the setup was a bit more different, it's really going to be down to if anyone can play it just before a new day starts.

The thing with the Colosseum is that you only need to get attacked once to completely lose your ranks. The jumps that people are able to make are ridiculous (altough this also works to your advantage)

Do we know what all the cutoff tiers are?

Edit: I'd rather see some point based system that other PvP modes in some games have.

Quixzlizx

Hey guys I'm no longer a junior member! I thank Chain Chronicle and Shenmue for making this dream a reality. SEGA's future and past helped me get there within a few months : 3

I have to air my frustration at the Colosseum. Honestly the gap between sleep and when I awake is so great, I get knocked from 50 all the way down to like 1375. I wish the setup was a bit more different, it's really going to be down to if anyone can play it just before a new day starts.

I got knocked from the 40s down into the 5000s, lol. If you are going to be sleeping at 4 am EST, it's basically pointless to do anything other than login and get a rank, and then collect your meager rewards. Gumi is incentivizing me to not even participate with the current system.

Congrats, it was largely this thread and a couple other mobile games that led to me losing my five year long junior status.

Yeah it's definitely not a good set up. The 5 minute window when it's the right time to try climb takes place exactly when I need to leave for work in the morning :(

Gizuko

Single target damage for sure. In retrospect, something like Lindsey would've been a great pickup for this. The big knight bosses and Black King himself are your biggest concerns. The goonies, while they hit hard, they also die pretty fast with a MLB team. A sweeper like Trystan is of course helpful, if you can hit the boss and take out some goonies as well.

I can really only comment on soldier setups in v1, mind you. Things might be different in v2. I didn't really pay attention to mob type, but it seemed like there were mostly soldiers - running ranged damage shouldn't be an issue.

My biggest saving grace for this quest was definitely Selene. Both times when I revived, I had enough mana to combo Selene's special at least once. That was a huge help against the Black King, since Selene's special can be shot from range and does immense damage.

These were definitely my biggest concerns, since my mono-mage seems to be exceeding my expectations as of late. Also, my standard issue team (Knights+cleric+mage) is full of AoE characters, while my mono-mage is more of a mixed bag - lvl80 soldiers would pretty much destroy my knight frontline, anyway.

Going to hope I can stun-lock most of the bosses and go with the mage team/mixed soldiers-mages (have to level Phoena first, though), thank you for helping me make up my mind.

Kettch

The training quest has been a huge help this week. I should be close to hitting rank 63 by the time it's over, which is the threshold for using 5 5*s. Unit XP has been solid too, getting 2 enhancers most of the time. I'm dropping them all on Phoena, and she's gone from 1-34 already.

Aki-at

I got knocked from the 40s down into the 5000s, lol. If you are going to be sleeping at 4 am EST, it's basically pointless to do anything other than login and get a rank, and then collect your meager rewards. Gumi is incentivizing me to not even participate with the current system.

I'm thinking if there is a safe rank to hit, I was 70 before my drop, today I'll aim for the 300s and see what happens. But definitely this event feels like a waste of time unless you're in the right time zone -___-

Congrats, it was largely this thread and a couple other mobile games that led to me losing my five year long junior status.

Yeah it's definitely not a good set up. The 5 minute window when it's the right time to try climb takes place exactly when I need to leave for work in the morning :(

I'm glad to see Chain Chronicle got you involved in the forum more than anything else haha.

Well I could wake up early but I'm not about to start doing that for a mobile game heh. I just hope Gumi does something that makes it fairer, maybe drop the level of rewards but have it every 12 hours instead of 24?

Kettch

Outside of redesigning the whole thing, I think the best change would be to have the rankings counted every 25 hours or something. That way the end rotates around the day and people in other time zones will have a chance eventually.

Quixzlizx

Gumi found a new way to screw me. I won 5/5 battles, and challenged the highest ranked opponent each time, and still only made it to 1238. At least there probably won't be very many people challenging me!

oh hey, the new chapter came out in JPCC with a new gatcha

all lolis

and I'm nowhere near to actually reaching it

too bad since it does have cool new abilities such as terrain changing and dual mana orbs and finally another new healer

there's also a new day/night feature, only seems to buff the adorable new vampire enemies

guess I'll just wait for the upcoming demon raid instead

desverger

These were definitely my biggest concerns, since my mono-mage seems to be exceeding my expectations as of late. Also, my standard issue team (Knights+cleric+mage) is full of AoE characters, while my mono-mage is more of a mixed bag - lvl80 soldiers would pretty much destroy my knight frontline, anyway.

Going to hope I can stun-lock most of the bosses and go with the mage team/mixed soldiers-mages (have to level Phoena first, though), thank you for helping me make up my mind.

I should warn you - I have no idea if the knight bosses with shields are actually knights and block ranged attacks. Then again I have no idea how blocking attacks works in v2. Anyway, the big bosses could be knights for all I know. I run a soldier stomp team in v1, which is why I never really look at the mob type :p

Outside of redesigning the whole thing, I think the best change would be to have the rankings counted every 25 hours or something. That way the end rotates around the day and people in other time zones will have a chance eventually.

Pretty much the only way I see they can fix it, is to allow claiming whenever - but reduce the rewards. For example 20 prysma if you're rank 1-10 or something. Gauntlet is also approximately free 20 prysma (or equivalent) a day.

There's such a huge advantage in the game if you're attacking, and it just shows the game was never designed with pvp in mind. The dumb AI can never defend you, even if you have the best team in CC.

This feature also has nothing to do with ranked pvp, it's just a battle of the timezones :p

However, it looks like something has changed already. Yesterday it wasn't uncommon to see very high ranked opponents after a few matches, for example it was possible to jump from 4400 to 100 or something. Today I did a few matches early, and I could only jump 30 ranks max near the rank 100 range.

I should warn you - I have no idea if the knight bosses with shields are actually knights and block ranged attacks. Then again I have no idea how blocking attacks works in v2. Anyway, the big bosses could be knights for all I know. I run a soldier stomp team in v1, which is why I never really look at the mob type :p

Pretty much the only way I see they can fix it, is to allow claiming whenever - but reduce the rewards. For example 20 prysma if you're rank 1-10 or something. Gauntlet is also approximately free 20 prysma (or equivalent) a day.

There's such a huge advantage in the game if you're attacking, and it just shows the game was never designed with pvp in mind. The dumb AI can never defend you, even if you have the best team in CC.

This feature also has nothing to do with ranked pvp, it's just a battle of the timezones :p

However, it looks like something has changed already. Yesterday it wasn't uncommon to see very high ranked opponents after a few matches, for example it was possible to jump from 4400 to 100 or something. Today I did a few matches early, and I could only jump 30 ranks max near the rank 100 range.
I also noticed the lower rank limit when choosing opponents, I went from being able to go from 2000 to 20 to from 1400 to 400 winning all the combats. If they changed the limits then it will be more important to play every day than to play just before day change.

Playing just when the Colosseum event is about to end will still have advantages but won't compensate missing a day and probably you will loss less levels than before if you play early.

That's pretty neat if that's the case. An improvement over the current system.

Miff

Finished at Rank 82 yesterday.

Haven't logged into the Colosseum all day, it's 10min before the refresh, and I'm still rank 80?

Seems like you can get lucky by having no one battle you in any given day. Lower rank limit has probably helped.

desverger

Finished at Rank 82 yesterday.

Haven't logged into the Colosseum all day, it's 10min before the refresh, and I'm still rank 80?

Seems like you can get lucky by having no one battle you in any given day. Lower rank limit has probably helped.

That's pretty interesting. Looks like they made the ranks more rigid, which is fine I guess. I started at 400-something and finished at 70-something. Will see what opponents I get tomorrow and how much I have dropped.

Yaari

gameplay is meh, art is cute, translation is awful and lazy, not sure if I'll keep up with it

I see. Probably not going to bother then, gameplay is key. Phantom of the Kill looked interesting, hopefully it goes Global soon. Saw Azusa mention that.

garath

Yeah. They've definitely cleaned up the Gauntlet. You don't swing nearly as much. I finished in the 2000 range yesterday. Started in the 3000 range today and I'm only getting jumps of like 500 ranks. I think this is much better. If you use your 5 every day, you'll settle into a real competitive ranking eventually and won't lose like 2000 ranks overnight. It'll still reward last person to try for the highest ranks but so what. The rewards are pretty good. I've gotten more honor tokens in the last few tries than I have total from the gauntlet. I really hate the gauntlet.

Quixzlizx

Yeah. They've definitely cleaned up the Gauntlet. You don't swing nearly as much. I finished in the 2000 range yesterday. Started in the 3000 range today and I'm only getting jumps of like 500 ranks. I think this is much better. If you use your 5 every day, you'll settle into a real competitive ranking eventually and won't lose like 2000 ranks overnight. It'll still reward last person to try for the highest ranks but so what. The rewards are pretty good. I've gotten more honor tokens in the last few tries than I have total from the gauntlet. I really hate the gauntlet.

I finished last night at rank 1500 or so and still dropped down to 3200 overnight. : (

Maybe if I manage to get a little higher, I won't tumble quite as much.

desverger

After completing Phoena's quest, Gauntlet is just ridiculously easy. I have Phoena and Hassan in the sub, which is a 20% attack boost and a 10% defense boost.

My issue with Gauntlet was that after the mana roll nerf, it just took way too many restarts to finish it. Phoena helps with the damage and Selene helps with the mana, I always have enough mana for at least 1 Coro spin. I barely have to restart anymore.

Vylash

If you are bored, JPCC is holding a character popularity poll.

You can choose your top five favorite characters out of the 400+ characters, lol

Here's a link showing each character with each number

Only thing you need at the bottom is to fill in an username, email and then gender. I'm guessing you can fake these out probably.

this was...really hard, ended up voting for Pirika (2), Schule (134), Lucia (171), Aina (177), and Shauna (339), also voted Shauna as my overall favorite

honorable mentions to Peishe (310), Midoa (317), Candice (359), Niu (371), Marian (375), Amelia (381), and Hsien (357)

Gizuko

Won't be able to post much until tuesday but... WHO GREENLIT OP-AS-HELL LOLI-PARADISE?! Seriously though, don't really like their designs, save for a couple of them, even if I like the heterochromia trait.

I sincerely hope they give the dual mana abilities to other arcana along the line, too op unless the character is useless baggage (which they aren't).

Won't be pulling there in a while, need to save for the censored version of the pixiv arcana (not-shauna), in order to get not-AG.

Who's number 322?

Book2 Beast continent spoilers:
Boss character you fight several times, much like... irenius? First time I wasn't expecting it and beat the crap out of me.

I was planning to bring a shield breaking character just in case. As long as I don't have to waste a Cheery bomb in order to avoid being overrun by shield grunts, all should be fine in that regard :p

Won't be able to post much until tuesday but... WHO GREENLIT OP-AS-HELL LOLI-PARADISE?! Seriously though, don't really like their designs, save for a couple of them, even if I like the heterochromia trait.

I sincerely hope they give the dual mana abilities to other arcana along the line, too op unless the character is useless baggage (which they aren't).

Won't be pulling there in a while, need to save for the censored version of the pixiv arcana (not-shauna), in order to get not-AG.

oh wow, looked up their skills and wow so op in all of them
would want to pull them and all the 4/5 stars seem pretty op

but yeah, want to save my pulls for the pixiv characters since they look just as nice if not better

Aki-at

I'm really loving this change to Colosseum, I'm actually starting to hold my place in the level 100s! But I agree with the 25 hour suggestion so it could help out someone get the coveted number one stop in different regions.

I am starting to swim in Prysma! :D

If you are bored, JPCC is holding a character popularity poll.

You can choose your top five favorite characters out of the 400+ characters, lol

Here's a link showing each character with each number

Only thing you need at the bottom is to fill in an username, email and then gender. I'm guessing you can fake these out probably.

I never thought this would be so hard to pick haha.

Ended up going with Pheona, Robby, Minimo, Julianna and Lindsey.

Wanted to pick some of the guys like Sulstan and Gilbert but went with all the girls.

(Also I really dislike Michida's new character art, couldn't they just get the original artist?)

Top Bottom