• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chances of a perfect 10 by IGN this generation?

SantaC

First thing to consider with IGN is that they are tougher with their scores today. Gone are the perfect 10 era. However, which of the following games have the best chance of a perfect 10? Let's have a look.

Halo2, RE4, MP2, GTA:SA, MGS3, GCN Zelda 2005, FFXII

Here is my take:

Zelda GCN 2005. Zelda has always had a perfect 10 tradition. While Wind Waker was a lil disappointment in some eyes, it was still a great game which got 9.6 on IGN. With all the hype around the 2nd Zelda game for Gamecube (not counting 4 swords) it could very well be the first and only 10 this generation. Chances of a Perfect 10: 50%

Halo 2. Because of all the hype and glory around this sequel I do believe this game will not go under 9.7 (the original) at IGN xbox. Chances of a Perfect 10: 45%

RE4. RE4 has undergone some drastic changes, and it looks for the good. Best graphics on the cube, and on any videogame system? Chances of a Perfect 10: 30%

Metroid Prime 2. The original Prime actually have the highest score this generation with 9.8, and the sequel adds a few things from the original. Chances of a perfect 10. 15%

GTA: SA. The anticipated sequel to Vice City. Better visuals, more weapons, more interactivity, more of everything. Chances of a perfect 10. 15%

Metal Gear Solid 3. Kojimas latest masterpiece will probably boost a great score, but will the jungle action be enough? MGS was rated 9.8. Chances of a perfect 10: 10%

FFXII. Square has done some changes to the FF franchise with a different and improved battle system. This game could very well lift the FF franchise back to the glorious PS days (and snes to some). Chances of a perfect 10: 10%

Then we have Doom3 and HL2, but someone else can do them -_-

This is just my opinion of course so don't send me to flamesville ;)

What is your estimations?

Matlock

Banned
Zelda GCN 2005 9.8

Halo 2 9.7

RE4 9.3

Metroid Prime 2 9.6

GTA: SA 9.4

Metal Gear Solid 3 9.3

FFXII. 9.2

Just my guesses.

Arcticfox

Knowing IGN XBOX, i think Halo 2 has the best chance of getting a 10. I don't think IGN PS2 will ever give a 10.

And where is GT4 on that list? I think it will score better than FFXII.

Halo 2 will quite obviously garner a 10. Come on, guys.. sheesh. Infact, I woudn't be surprised if IGN didn't even rate the game with a simple number and instead just proclaim it the best thing since... ever.

Hellraizah

I don't know what game you listed could make a 10 on IGN, and frankly, I don't care. We talking about the guys who rated Raw 2 on Xbox very well.

But, in your list, the only title that could rightfully deserve such high praise is Halo 2, since it's multiplayer AND online, which add up to the replay value A LOT. Replay value is something that should always be considered when rating a game.

Che

Banned
Let's see:

Halo2 no if IGN-Xbox has trully changed
RE4 no
MP2 no
GTA:SA Hell NO
MGS3 no
GCN Zelda 2005 Maybe if it lives up to the expectations
FFXII no
GT4 Hmmmmm no

Matt has already written the review based on the trailer he saw from E3 on the new Zelda. He's merely waiting for the game to release before posting it.

Code_Link

CrimsonSkies said:
Matt has already written the review based on the trailer he saw from E3 on the new Zelda. He's merely waiting for the game to release before posting it.

I hope you aren't implying that Matt is the biased IGN editor.

Cubsfan23

Banned
HalfPastNoon said:
Halo 2 will quite obviously garner a 10. Come on, guys.. sheesh. Infact, I woudn't be surprised if IGN didn't even rate the game with a simple number and instead just proclaim it the best thing since... ever.

Heh, I wouldnt be surprised if they did that. I actually think it will get a 9.9.

AniHawk

Alex Anderson said:
Which games have IGN given 10s to in the past?

Pokemon Red
Pokemon Blue
Pokemon Yellow
Pokemon Gold
Pokemon Silver
Super Mario Bros. Deluxe
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
Soul Calibur
Checkered Flag
Dragon Warrior III
Joust
Magical Tetris Challenge
Mario Golf
Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel
Shanghai
SNK vs. Capcom: Match of the Millenium
Sonic Pocket Adventure

To be fair though, 90% of those are from IGNPocket. Soul Calibur and OoT are the only ones which aren't.

Solid

Bah.. who cares about IGN? Gamespot is where it's at :)

Halo 2, 9.8
Zelda, 9.5
RE4, 9.1
GTA: SA, 9.7
MGS3, 9.6
FFXII, 9.5

Grubdog

Banned
What I hate about reviews is that if those games are better games than their previous installments they will still most likely get a lower score. That does not make any sense to me. I look forward to reading the MP2 review and them saying it's an improved game but giving it a score lower than 9.8. Reviews suck.

Grubdog said:
What I hate about reviews is that if those games are better games than their previous installments they will still most likely get a lower score. That does not make any sense to me. I look forward to reading the MP2 review and them saying it's an improved game but giving it a score lower than 9.8. Reviews suck.

I guess it's to do with the new game not being an "original concept". It's much easier to improve on an exisiting idea then create a whole new experience. But yeah it's still annoying.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
CrimsonSkies said:
The irony is too great considering this is an Xbox fan talking shit about the Cube IGN editor. Not to mention its freaking Matt "Nintendo sucks, they should be more like MS" Cassa-whatever ;)

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Tre said:
"The irony is too great considering this is an Xbox fan talking shit about the Cube IGN editor."

The Irony?
I know, my grammar (sp?) is horrible. But I just wanted to get my point across.

epmode

neptunes said:
most of them were handheld games ;)
that's because ign pocket's scale didn't allow for decimals. i haven't been there in months, so i don't know if that policy has changed since then.

"I know, my grammar (sp?) is horrible. But I just wanted to get my point across."

Failed again ;). My post was just a joke in regards to Matt's spaz fest for the game on the IGN Cube boards.

Deg

Banned
RE4 has the biggest chance out of those games. Rest of them arent actually that different. Although some do have some big additions like MP2 having multiplayer now which is a radical new direction for the franchise. The others will be focusing on more of the same better or more.

Cubsfan23 said:
Luigi Mansion got a 9 too. Old news.

I think he means that Luigi's Mansion was actually good however. Unlike Wreckless.

I dont recommend putting much weight in reviews.

HalfPastNoon said:
that shouldn't be an addition, that's a damn standard. and what would you call halo 2's new modes? more of the same?

"WANNA FIGHT? NO ONE TALK ABOUT MY GAME LIKE THAT! TO ARMS!!!!!"

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
CrimsonSkies said:
"I know, my grammar (sp?) is horrible. But I just wanted to get my point across."

Failed again ;). My post was just a joke in regards to Matt's spaz fest for the game on the IGN Cube boards.

Good Cover.

SantaC

I don't think halo2 will dethrone Zelda OoT on gamerankings. A few magazine/sites always have some different opinions. Zelda OoT is probably the closest you can get to perfect.

TheDiave

Banned
The only one of those games I see them giving a 10 is Halo 2.

I'll bet those bastards at IGN Xbox beat off to screenshots of that game nightly.

Hellraizah

I truly hope Halo 2 will dethrone Zelda : Ocarina Of Time on Game Rankings.

Gaming-Age, please keep your C- for yourselves.

I doubt any game will ever top OoT's score, atleast not now. I don't think any game has recieved that much anticipation and without much negativity either. It was a game that everyone wanted even if they never were interested in Zelda before.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Guys, it's obvious what game will get the next 10.0 from IGN.

ratchetclank3_0504_160.jpg

Top Bottom