• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China says it will lift ban on video game consoles

jaask

The Chinese government announced today that it will lift a longtime ban on sales of video game consoles, opening up the market to foreign companies in Shanghai's new free trade zone. China's State Council announced the decision in a statement issued Friday, saying foreign companies will be able to sell consoles across the entire country as long as they have established production and sales operations in the free trade zone. Each console will also have to be approved by China's Ministry of Culture before going on the market.

China banned consoles in 2000 over fears that video games may have a detrimental effect on the mental and physical development of children. Reports earlier this year suggested that Beijing was considering relaxing its policy, though officials later disputed such claims. Consoles have been available on the black market in China, though most gamers use PCs or mobile devices.

Today's announcement follows earlier reports that China may be relaxing its longstanding bans on Facebook and Twitter within the forthcoming free zone. The People's Daily, a state-run newspaper, later refuted the reports, saying current "internet management measures" will remain in place in Shanghai.

It is not clear when sales of video game consoles will begin, as policymakers continue to draft new rules for the free trade zone. The government released a list of key principles governing the zone on Friday, though changes will be implemented over the course of the next three years. The new zone, located in the eastern suburbs of Shanghai, is seen as a promising sign that China may be loosening restrictions for foreign investors. It also comes at a crucial time for China, which has seen its economy slow in some key sectors after decades of rapid growth.

Source

This can potentially be big news if China really opens up the market. Free trade zone and government approval limitations will still make sure that the flood gates won't open in one go.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Could be huge. An enormous market up for grabs!

I bet MS wish they took Asia a bit more serious now.

Sony should kill it.

Edit;oops I guess Sony will need to make them all in the FTZ

sohois

This is only if the consoles are manufactured in Shanghai's free trade zone. The area is a tiny part of north Shanghai and unlikely to be big enough to mass produce consoles.

Not to mention the various other obstacles, like lack of a distribution chain and rampant piracy.

meppi

That's a huge deal actually. Wonder how this will impact the industry as a whole, especially since so many developers have been struggling for a long time now.
Could turn out to be a very very good thing for all.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
My extremely shallow perception of the chinese gaming culture is that they really seem to dig RTS and MMOs. How would that translate into the console market?

I also wonder if the strained relationships with Japan could work in favour of MS?

could be interesting mainly because china these days aren't into really paying for box games. And piracy has always been a huge thing there. Main reason why pretty much all games released there are f2p pc stuff.

could be interesting mainly because china these days aren't into really paying for box games. And piracy has always been a huge thing there. Main reason why pretty much all games released there are f2p pc stuff.

But that is because they were "brought" up like that.

On streaming-plattforms and QQ-music and such things, the providers are paying money to Sony BMG, Universal and Warner-Bros, so they are kinda "used" to get such entertainment-forms for free.

Though with the right price things can sell well I think. Right now games there cost even more than I would pay here in Europe.

It will take a company a long time to set up the manufacturing facilities in the shanghai FTZ as well as establish logistics and supply chain. Its a good idea but the caveats are too great for this to mean anything in the short term.

Varth

It will take a company a long time to set up the manufacturing facilities in the shanghai FTZ as well as establish logistics and supply chain. Its a good idea but the caveats are too great for this to mean anything in the short term.

Totally worth it for both parties, though. Very smart move from them.

I guess they wanna "move" the facilities from southern China to Shanghai, since they can collect more tax there IIRC.

But that is because they were "brought" up like that.

On streaming-plattforms and QQ-music and such things, the providers are paying money to Sony BMG, Universal and Warner-Bros, so they are kinda "used" to get such entertainment-forms for free.

Though with the right price things can sell well I think. Right now games there cost even more than I would pay here in Europe.

And even then, with no easy way to mod the new systems (i'd hope), only a really small niche of rich kids would bother picking them up.

But with ps4 getting quite into the f2p business... there could be potential there.

Nintendo is the one that could benefit the most with this.... maybe Sony too if they re-release the PS2

MS is making a new console for the region too so currently I can't tell how that will play out

And even then, with no easy way to mod the new systems (i'd hope), only a really small niche of rich kids would bother picking them up.

But with ps4 getting quite into the f2p business... there could be potential there.

Its not really about rich kids. If they make good prices like 15-20$ for a Game, it could mean something.

I mean they bought the PSP when it was like 2000RMB, they buy iPhone for 5500 RMB, people save for Prada-bags and buy anime-figurines for japanese prices.

Besides that "everyone" there owns a B.Net Account for DOTA. If they are smart enough they will find a way to sell these to the kids.

Tecmo-Koei, time to make a new series.

Boxer Rebellion Warriors
Rebellion of the Boxers Dynasty
Wall Dynasty Warriors

My personal favorite - Genghis Khan Dynasty.

Possibilities are really endless.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Nintendo announces Pokemon MMO for Wii U to launch with console in absolutely enormous new market! It's super effective!

It may not do well. The Chinese have been very Anti-Japanese as of late.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Japanese_sentiment_in_China

They'd rather buy American than Japanese, part of the reason why Buick sell rather well there.

You havent lived in China for some time, right?

The Diaoyu-Island thing rubbed a few people wrong and then you see some demonstrations about it, but the general opinion of japanese in my generation is, that they rather look up to them.
They rather buy Sharp-mobilephones, fly to japan for designerbrands and love korean and japanese body-products.

You havent lived in China for some time, right?

The Diaoyu-Island thing rubbed a few people wrong and then you see some demonstrations about it, but the general opinion of japanese in my generation is, that they rather look up to them.
They rather buy Sharp-mobilephones, fly to japan for designerbrands and love korean and japanese body-products.
People buy Sharp phones?

Its not really about rich kids. If they make good prices like 15-20$ for a Game, it could mean something.

I mean they bought the PSP when it was like 2000RMB, they buy iPhone for 5500 RMB, people save for Prada-bags and buy anime-figurines for japanese prices.

Besides that "everyone" there owns a B.Net Account for DOTA. If they are smart enough they will find a way to sell these to the kids.

I don't think kids buy iphones. People bought psp and ds because they were easy to pirate on. China isn't really one to buy software.

Why do people keep bringing up that Microsoft Chinese deal? Its not even for a complete console but a mini console. It will mostly stream content that Chinese government find okay. It's still restricted. Sony been had China's approval for the PS3 there and they also have a Chinese division in there.. What is this Microsoft in the lead stuff?

Sooooooooo it's equal playing field. Companies already had their foot in the doors. Regulation is what's stopping everyone.

Edit: The PS4 is launching in Hong Kong... Sooooooooo

People buy Sharp phones?

Seems so ;)

I don't think kids buy iphones. People bought psp and ds because they were easy to pirate on. China isn't really one to buy software.

They surely do. I heard the nephew of my gf wanting an iPhone, since half of his class has. He is 11 and he isnt at such a good school.
Besides that, people bought WC3+TFT to get a b.net account and play DOTA. They also sell this chinese "Jrpg" series quite well.

One thing I really wonder though is why Valve didnt make DOTA2 steam-exclusive in China too. I guess it would push the service there a lot. I have access to more Games to buy on Steam in China than I have in Germany.

Top Bottom