• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chinese actress gets big Hollywood roles, No one knows why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blablurn

JingTian-GWPromo.jpg
In the last few years, 28-year-old starlet Jing Tian has ascended with unusual speed into the white-hot center of China’s entertainment world. After studying at both the Beijing Dance Academy and the Beijing Film Academy, both reliable feeders into China’s show business ecosystem, she spent relatively little time working her way up via supporting roles and television series before finding herself thrust into the spotlight alongside stars like Sun Honglei, Jackie Chan, and Chow Yun-Fat.

When Legendary Entertainment began production on its megabudget US-China co-production, The Great Wall, Jing was chosen to star opposite Matt Damon as a woman warrior commanding a vast army against fearsome supernatural monsters

Jing was slotted into Legendary’s blockbuster titles, Pacific Rim: Uprising and the just-released Kong: Skull Island, immediately lifting her to heights of international visibility above Tang Wei, Fan Bingbing, Zhou Xun or nearly any of China’s other well-established superstar “Heavenly Queens.”

No one really knows how she made it thus far. There are theories though!

Theory 1: Jing Tian’s long-time boyfriend is a Wanda shareholder

According to the Internet portal Sohu’s entertainment channel, Lu Zheng, the founder and chairman of Beijing Starlit Movie and TV Culture has cast Jing in many of the films he’s financed, including the 2011 release, The Warring States. Information on Lu is scarce, but he’s said to be a shareholder of the Dalian Wanda Group, the real estate/showbiz behemoth that purchased Legendary Entertainment last year.

Theory 2: Jing Tian is the secret daughter of Wang Jianlin

HK01, a Hong Kong-based news outlet reported rumors suggesting that Jing is related to Wanda founder and chairman Wang Jianlin, China’s richest man.

Theory 3: Jing Tian is a vessel for laundering money

WeChat public account user “IChinar” argued that she “followed the money,” alleging that both Beijing Starlit Movie and TV Culture (see Theory 1) and Xi’an Suobao Film and Television—both investors in films in which Jing starred—are laundering money for Wanda.

Theory 4: Jing Tian is a movie star by government decree

WeChat conspiracy-spinner “IChinar” has also said that the real reason behind Wanda’s effort to propel Jing’s rise to stardom is not profit-driven at all. What Wanda really wants are the rumored connections she has by blood, with an unnamed high-ranking Party official who has decision-making power in fields of culture, film, and television

Source: http://chinafilminsider.com/what-everybody-knows-about-insta-star-jing-tian/

There is more at the source. It's definitely an interesting case.

One more thing:

Jing Tian is the only Hollywood International Award winner in Hollywood Film Awards history. According to the press release, she won the inaugural award because her "performances have ignited the box office in her native land", and the award "was established to recognize cinematic talent from around the world and will be given every year",[3] but the award was discontinued the following year.[4][5]

Jing Tian has also been nominated for "Most Disappointing Actress" at the Golden Broom Awards (China's equivalent of Golden Raspberry Awards) three times, winning twice.

norm9

Attractive young actress gets roles others that have been in the industry much longer aren't getting? A real head scratcher.

Joni

Big Hollywood roles, all in movies by the same Chinese owned studio. They are just trying to make her happen.

massoluk

Banned
Not sure about the word conspiracy, studio want to push a low profile actress, it's not like something unprecedented

Qvoth

Jing Tian is the only Hollywood International Award winner in Hollywood Film Awards history. According to the press release, she won the inaugural award because her "performances have ignited the box office in her native land", and the award "was established to recognize cinematic talent from around the world and will be given every year",[3] but the award was discontinued the following year.[4][5]

Jing Tian has also been nominated for "Most Disappointing Actress" at the Golden Broom Awards (China's equivalent of Golden Raspberry Awards) three times, winning twice.

reallymakesyouthinkemoji.jpg

Theodran

I saw both The Great Wall and Kong: Skull Island within a week span or so and I found it odd that she was in both of them. Although I'm not sold on these conspiracy theories, they do fascinate me.

She doesn't seem to be particularly attractive nor a very good actress, and in Kong: Skull Island I found her role very much shoehorned into the movie, like someone really wanted her to be there but had a hard time justifying it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I thought this was going to lead into something regarding the GITS debacle but this is some tabloid level content.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
The Great Wall, Jing was chosen to star opposite Matt Damon as a woman warrior
Truth is that Jing Tian chose Matt Damon or even the director

Seesaw15

I mean nothing in show business is a meritocracy. You either get lucky or you know someone. Some version of these theories is probably true but who cares.

duckroll

I'm not sure why this is a story? Jing Tian definitely has business connections with Legendary. They are the reason she's in 3 Hollywood films because Legendary is now a Chinese company. So? Fan Bingbing was in Iron Man 3 and DoFP. Li Bingbing was in RE: Retribution and Transformers 4. This is something that happens.

I've been wondering for a long time why Legendary keep putting her in all its films.

So... for about a year? :p

Joni

Not any worse than that time Hollywood really tried to push Taylor Kitsch.

Guy from popular television show gets big movie roles? One of which made by the guy that ran that television show? Weird. Must be some shennagans. Kitsch filmed John Carter just after ending his commitments for Friday Night Lights, and then almost immediately did Battleship. Which gave him time to film Savages before those two movies showed that he wasn't box office gold after which his movie roles get considerably smaller again.

I can understand the suspicion though. The Hong Kong and Bollywood film industry is notorious for this sort of shit.

Still for this, it's probably because she got a surprisingly big break, and casting directors kept choosing her due to her portfolio. That's it.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I wonder if they wrote in her Kong character for her cus you could remove her and pretty much no scene would change.

I'm not sure why this is a story? Jing Tian definitely has business connections with Legendary. They are the reason she's in 3 Hollywood films because Legendary is now a Chinese company. So? Fan Bingbing was in Iron Man 3 and DoFP. Li Bingbing was in RE: Retribution and Transformers 4. This is something that happens
This is the easiest follow the money ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom