• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chinese actress gets big Hollywood roles, No one knows why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carn82

Game Of Thrones, man. That show is a wellspring of mediocre actors that have some name recognition and that Hollywood can pay relatively little to star in their franchises.

yeah, its weird, since that show also has some really great actors in it. Altough I guess that guys like Harrington and Madden have some stage credit. Do have to say that Clarke's and Harrington's characters are pretty boring compared to lets say, the material a Theon can work with. Funny thing is that I'm actually not that bothered anymore by Sophie Turner's acting (some progress there) but whenever Emilia Clarke enters the frame my eyes tend to roll back until the scene is done.

Ratrat

There are rumors and criticisms because people want to make it scandalous though. That's why this thread exists to begin with!
Here, I think its less about her and more about the way Hollywood is being affected by China's growing market. I don't see what the big deal is, but some people seem to get really bothered.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Oh I wasn't implying he isn't talented. Just that he's another white guy who seems to keep getting roles in dumb blockbusters even though he's not an audience draw, and no one bats an eyelid at it because it's normal.

Not really, his movies aimed more towards women like The Vow, Step up, Dear John, etc. Always did bank. With him basically blowing up with Magic Mike and 21 Jump Street.

Worthington and Kitsch on the other hand, one got blessed by the magic Cameron touch than disappeared and the other basically went from not even supporting roles to leading three.

She was shoehorned in many big budget roles when she was nobody and was offered more roles even though those movie/TV soaps flopped PLUS she has little popularity for a long time in China despite major push. What studio continue to cast a actor when they make zero profit, or in this case, lost them money from the get go? Do you really want to accuse every single person who get suspicious of her force-down-your-throat "success" sexist?
Looking at her IMDB, she has been 3 Hollywood productions. Over 2 years (2 this year, 1 next). This is perfectly normal. They are trying to make her a star, it probably won't work, but we see this all the time, where an actor or actress is suddenly in a few large movies after each other. If this were an actor, we would be saying he had good management for getting him those roles with little actual acting skills.

duckroll

She was shoehorned in many big budget roles when she was nobody and was offered more roles even though those movie/TV soaps flopped PLUS she has little popularity for a long time in China despite major push. What studio continue to cast a actor when they make zero profit, or in this case, lost them money from the get go? Do you really want to accuse every single person who get suspicious of her force-down-your-throat "success" sexist?

She has 3 Hollywood roles - The Great Wall, Kong Skull Island, and Pacific Rim 2. They were all cast within a 6 month window. One movie came out at the end of last year. One movie just came out. The last one is still filming. Out of the two films released, she is a supporting role with speaking lines in one of them, and she is a minor role with almost no lines in the other. Is this a case of people attempting to manufacture a star with bit roles in bigger films and probably failing? Sure. Is this some weird thing to get suspicious of when she doesn't have a single lead role in these films? No.

Not really, his movies aimed more towards women like The Vow, Step up, Dear John, etc. Always did bank. With him basically blowing up with Magic Mike and 21 Jump Street.

Damn I got owned on this. Yeah, credit where credit's due. He's no Sam Worthington lol.

Does she wonder the same about someone here in the US like say... Jennifer Lopez? I mean she's a fine entertainer, but great actress she is not. Is there some conspiracy other than that she's easy on the eyes and a well-known name? Or say someone like Taylor Lautner?

tbf not like JLo did much in film especially big budget films and Taylor Lautner was in one relatively low budget series that spiralled upwards. He's getting the least acting gigs out of twilight alums for a reason.

he was gr8 in scream queens tho

tbf not like JLo did much in film especially big budget films and Taylor Lautner was in one relatively low budget series that spiralled upwards. He's getting the least acting gigs for a reason.

he was gr8 in scream queens tho

Jing Tian has had even less gigs than that. But yet money laundering conspiracy abounds. It makes no sense.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Looking at her IMDB, she has been 3 Hollywood productions. Over 2 years (2 this year, 1 next). This is perfectly normal. They are trying to make her a star, it probably won't work, but we see this all the time, where an actor or actress is suddenly in a few large movies after each other. If this were an actor, we would be saying he had good management for getting him those roles with little actual acting skills.

Was going to say, it's no different than Kitsch who went from a supporting role in Wolverine Origins, to leading Battleship, some other big ass bomb, and that one where the two dudes are drug dealers and tag teaming the same girl.

I really don't remember the names of the films and don't want to look them up right now.

They want an actor that can appeal to both Chinese and American audiences is all. Manufacture as all hell, but it happens all the time in Hollywood.

Damn I got owned on this. Yeah, credit where credit's due. He's no Sam Worthington lol.

Looking through it now, but Nicholas Spark movies had, Gosling, Hemsworth, Tanning, and Efron all in the beginning of the decade.

shira

Can't wait till a Korean actress makes a big breakthrough

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_eid1g1144u0wkgc44c8wk4w04_640.gif

Guys, make up your damn mind.

You want to have Asians starring in Hollywood blockbusters? There will need to be Asian movie stars. She's young, pretty, I assume can act, if she was white nobody would be scratching their head going "How can this be?"...

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Gotta get that Chinese demographic to show up to theaters somehow!

Like, I know that's the reason she's there but they could've given her a real role or something.

It honestly felt like at the last minute they said, "oh by the way, we need you guys to write a new character" so they kinda just put her in the background.

Guys, make up your damn mind.

You want to have Asians starring in Hollywood blockbusters? There will need to be Asian movie stars. She's young, pretty, I assume can act, if she was white nobody would be scratching their head going "How can this be?"...

Naah man. The thing is she can't act.

Did you read the OP ? She has won two out of three 'Most Dissapointing Actor' prizes.

She has 3 Hollywood roles - The Great Wall, Kong Skull Island, and Pacific Rim 2. They were all cast within a 6 month window. One movie came out at the end of last year. One movie just came out. The last one is still filming. Out of the two films released, she is a supporting role with speaking lines in one of them, and she is a minor role with almost no lines in the other. Is this a case of people attempting to manufacture a star with bit roles in bigger films and probably failing? Sure. Is this some weird thing to get suspicious of when she doesn't have a single lead role in these films? No.

I see both of you only looked at English sites. She was cast as major characters in Chinese cinema and TV shows before the Hollywood part. The 2011 "The Warring States" cast her as the lead female character flopped hard.(I think 80 million yuan gross vs 150 million budget) and that is only one of the many flops... yet she got cast again. Again and again.

To make it in Hollywood, the most important thing is attractiveness. Next most important thing is acting chops. If you aren't attractive or a good actor, you better be funny. If you're none of these things, you won't get many roles and you'll never get a staring role. You may be able to hack it as an extra, but you'll need lots of work to make a living wage.

Did you read the OP ? She has won two out of three 'Most Dissapointing Actor' prizes.
So have Halle Berry, Demi Moore, Jennifer Lopez, Sandra Bullock and Cameron Diaz. Not all the greatest actresses, but I have heard nothing about money laundering conspiracies behind their roles.

duckroll

I see both of you only looked at English sites. She was cast as major characters in Chinese cinema and TV shows before the Hollywood part. The 2011 "The Warring States" cast her as the lead female character flopped hard.(I think 80 million yuan gross vs 150 million budget) and that is only one of the many flops... yet she got cast again. Again and again.

ScarJo gonna lose her job soon. RIP.

I've never seen any of her work, so I don't know, somebody else's "Can't act" can be my "Fine".

Still, lots of bad white actors got a shot at being big, don't see what's so strange when a Chinese actress gets it, especially now with China actually being relevant to the business.

Which, BTW is how I think you'll get movies with representation, once studios understand they can make money with it...

maomaoIYP

Jing Tian has also been nominated for "Most Disappointing Actress" at the Golden Broom Awards (China's equivalent of Golden Raspberry Awards) three times, winning twice.
At least she's living up to her stage (real?) name, it literally means 'sweet scenery'.

ScarJo gonna lose her job soon. RIP.
LMAO. A flop with a famous actress is definitely the same as multiple flops with a c-list. Because studios is known to throw away money with someone that has a track record of losing them money.
If you don't want to engage with actual conversations on this topic. Suit yourself.

No one know why as in no one has figured out she has tie to which political figure. There is obviously some one pulling the string for her in the background.

This is not a simple case of Zhang Yimou likes her or she has tie to some rich guy like Jack Ma.

LMAO. A flop with a famous actress is definitely the same as multiple flops with a c-list. Because studios is known to throw away money with someone that has a track record of losing them money.
If you don't want to engage with actual conversations on this topic. Suit yourself.
I don't know all the budgets for these movies, but both Police Stories 2013 and From Vegas to Macau seem to have made almost $100 million at the Chinese box office. How is that a track record of losing money, when there are clear successes there also?

Seems the same as always. Actor gets a push and do they stick or fade into obscurity. Should a nondescript American based actor get the part or something?

If Hollywood wants to champion diversity and mock others then they're going to have to concede roles.

duckroll

maybe she's more prominent in the china version of the film? don't some films do that now? iron man 3 comes to mind

Don't think they have an alternate cut for this one, but I'm sure our friend here who's an expert will tell us all about it if there is, and how they spent 50 million on the extra scenes only to have it all be wasted because she's a FLOP FLOP FLOP. We must get to the bottom of this VERY SERIOUS OUTRAGE. How dare an actress not be ejected from the industry after failing to make money for a studio. D-list slut probably slept with everyone in the production!

Sorry, got carried away there. Carry on.

Joni

Was going to say, it's no different than Kitsch who went from a supporting role in Wolverine Origins, to leading Battleship, some other big ass bomb, and that one where the two dudes are drug dealers and tag teaming the same girl.

Kitsch starred on a popular show, where he got quite a bit of attention. Produced by Battleship director Peter Berg to boot. He was mainly lucky that Battleship and Carter got delayed enough to get him another lead role.

I don't know all the budgets for these movies, but both Police Stories 2013 and From Vegas to Macau seem to have made almost $100 million at the Chinese box office. How is that a track record of losing money, when there are clear successes there also?
She was not cast as a main In those films.. She would have to be something magical if could pan a hit series by just being part of it. Her flops are her major roles, "Glory of Tang Dynasty" panned critically and commercially
Don't think they have an alternate cut for this one, but I'm sure our friend here who's an expert will tell us all about it if there is, and how they spent 50 million on the extra scenes only to have it all be wasted because she's a FLOP FLOP FLOP. We must get to the bottom of this VERY SERIOUS OUTRAGE. How dare an actress not be ejected from the industry after failing to make money for a studio. D-list slut probably slept with everyone in the production!

Sorry, got carried away there. Carry on.
I see your imagination has run very wild indeed. There are plenty of Chinese actresses who 1. can't act and 2. Has a cute face and doesn't get the "she must have someone behind her" reputation she got. And I don't think anyone in this thread is accusing her to sleep with anyone to get roles. This is on you.

She was not cast as a main In those films.. She would have to be something magical if could pan a hit series by just being part of it. Her flops are her major roles, "Glory of Tang Dynasty" panned critically and commercially
She is also not cast as the main in Kong. Don't know the extend of her role in The Great Wall and Pacific Rim 2, but she is not the main character in either.

And again, it's not like this stuff doesn't happen all the time. Beauty + connections = easier time in Hollywood. But for some reason, in this case there is a "conspiracy" behind it, while for the likes of Emilia Clarke and others we have no problem with it.

Zombine

Banned
What if she's actually a cyborg, made by Wanda and placed in films to see if people can tell if she's human or not? If people continue to forget she's in these movies it will be a success and they will create an army of her to star in every role in every movie.

Frodo

There are A LOT of actors out there that shouldn't be famous and yet they are.

Why does this one gets attention?

Oersted

I'm not sure why this is a story? Jing Tian definitely has business connections with Legendary. They are the reason she's in 3 Hollywood films because Legendary is now a Chinese company. So? Fan Bingbing was in Iron Man 3 and DoFP. Li Bingbing was in RE: Retribution and Transformers 4. This is something that happens.

So... for about a year? :p

Mentioning Fan Bingbing in one breath with those two.

Meet me outside.

She is also not cast as the main in Kong. Don't know the extend of her role in The Great Wall and Pacific Rim 2, but she is not the main character in either.
She's the lead female in the movie as far as I know. Though I would have bet that the movie would flop anyway with or without her.

The point is: She kept getting roles that mostly go to famous actors while not being famous or earning the company money. Thus rumor about "knowing important people".

Duckroll insists making everyone who agree with the rumor sexists who "witch hunt" her for being "sluts".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom