• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chinese actress gets big Hollywood roles, No one knows why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinner

Banned
I hope this isn't reverse whitewashing and taking jobs's from our white actresses who are awfully under presented in Hollywood. Can you imagine the controversy if she was the main star in the new blockbuster hit "Ghost in the Shell"™ which has been an international hit and splitting critics which its intense and challenging themes. A cult classic in the making!

Not really a mystery that she is connected with Jianlin Wang, CEO of Wanda, the richest man in China. Everyone in China over 20 knows this, the argument boils down to mistress or secret daughter or secret sugar daughter.

She has been an mediocre actress over a decade ago, but studios just keep hiring her over and over again. Only the recent Hollywood-China joint production boom has brought her to the world stage, and Jianlin Wang just happens to own the biggest theater franchise in China.

Finaika

I hope this isn't reverse whitewashing and taking jobs's from our white actresses who are awfully under presented in Hollywood. Can you imagine the controversy if she was the main star in the new blockbuster hit "Ghost in the Shell"™ which has been an international hit and splitting critics which its intense and challenging themes. A cult classic in the making!

GitS bombed domestically.

hirokazu

I'm not sure why this is a story? Jing Tian definitely has business connections with Legendary. They are the reason she's in 3 Hollywood films because Legendary is now a Chinese company. So? Fan Bingbing was in Iron Man 3 and DoFP. Li Bingbing was in RE: Retribution and Transformers 4. This is something that happens.

So... for about a year? :p
That's a long time, son!
Actually less than that.

The other two actors are quite a bit more popular, so it's no wonder why they get put in movies they want to sell in China.

Chinner

Banned
Yeah, my alt.
I am you, and you are me. Carry that with you, wherever you go. Thank you... my friend. From here on out, you're Chinner.
7a6Pvvf.gif

I don't care how or why she was cast if she plays a compelling character, but in Kong Skull Island she was obviously crowbarred in and served no purpose. It became weird after a while just having her hang out and contribute nothing to the story.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Time to get out the Glenn Beck chalkboard. All these dots need connecting! Can't have a Chinese person getting the spotlight for seemingly no reason!

I don't care how or why she was cast if she plays a compelling character, but in Kong Skull Island she was obviously crowbarred in and served no purpose. It became weird after a while just having her hang out and contribute nothing to the story.

Lol i think she had like one syllable of a speaking part in that movie too

Good for her. If Sam Worthington and Taylor Kitsch can get the Hollywood push, she can too.

Yes, what a mystery that these attractive people get chosen for roles in big movies that don't particularly require great acting talent! Not necessarily responding to you, but you named both of the names that always come up by those that are really salty about their short-lived careers, for some reason.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I liked her in kong, she was super cute and it looked like they were setting her up with the black scientist which is a plus,not that it matters much since the rest of the films are going to take place decades later

So while the world has a discussion about diversity in Hollywood movies, and especially Asian roles, one of the few apparently successful actresses is accused of getting those roles by sleeping to the top or through criminal activity. How nice.

Being attractive and having connections have been getting actors and actresses roles for decades. This is nothing special.

I don't get why there's some conspiracy. People acting like attractive, but ultimately untalented or only mildly talented actors and actresses don't get lots of roles basically everywhere in the world?

img-thing

Dunno about you guys, but if I'm just making a movie with attractive looking people in it, she'd be in it.

My Chinese girlfriend is also really into this conspiracy/mystery.

She is really confused by why this "zero skill" (her words) actress got so big.

It's sad that a female Asian actress can't get big movie roles without theories popping up about how outside forces made it happen.

My Chinese girlfriend is also really into this conspiracy/mystery.

She is really confused by why this "zero skill" (her words) actress got so big.

Does she wonder the same about someone here in the US like say... Jennifer Lopez? I mean she's a fine entertainer, but great actress she is not. Is there some conspiracy other than that she's easy on the eyes and a well-known name? Or say someone like Taylor Lautner?

aznpxdd

It's sad that a female Asian actress can't get big movie roles without theories popping up about how outside forces made it happen.

Its relevant in some of the roles she has. This "theory" doesn't really apply to Great Wall since she was one of the main characters, but in KONG? She could've been left out the film and nothing would have changed, maybe for the better since her limited dialogue were forced and weird.

Its relevant in some of the roles she has. This "theory" doesn't really apply to Great Wall since she was one of the main characters, but in KONG? She could've been left out the film and nothing would have changed, maybe for the better since her limited dialogue were forced and weird.

They put her in because she's popular in China and attractive to Chinese people especially. Hollywood movies pull in a huge amount of their revenue in China and Asia in general now. It's no great mystery why someone like her would be inserted into movies for throwaway roles.

I mean does her being in a movie for like 2 minutes really make a difference at the box office in Asia? Probably not really, but you know who thinks it does make a difference? The old white dudes at the top echelons of Hollywood.

Ratrat

These are originating in China though? Where she apparently won the equivalent of a Razzie twice. Of course its outside forces. And its perfectly normal. She just doesnt have the talent to back it up.

Does she wonder the same about someone here in the US like say... Jennifer Lopez? I mean she's a fine entertainer, but great actress she is not. Is there some conspiracy other than that she's easy on the eyes and a well-known name?

She thinks her eyes are so big that they're creepy and she is not classically beautiful. She rated her like an 8/10.

Her lack of super hotness is part of the confusion for her.

But I think she's pretty so I'm not sure on her assessment.

Same reason Hollywood movies have been having scenes set in China lately, to get their movies a wider release there and larger revenue.

She thinks her eyes are so big that they're creepy and she is not classically beautiful. She rated her like an 8/10.

Her lack of super hotness is part of the confusion for her.

But I think she's pretty so I'm not sure on her assessment.

I mean... 8/10 is still pretty damn hot.

Also ask her about Jay Chou in loads of random western movies. He cannot act AT ALL. Even in his many movies in my home country of Taiwan, speaking Mandarin, he totally sucks. I love his music to death, but that's someone who's getting roles purely based on notoriety and looks. And as far as looks, I wouldn't say he's even close to Jing Tian.

Same reason Hollywood movies have been having scenes set in China lately, to get their movies a wider release there and larger revenue.

Haha yup. I love the absurdity of that scene in Transformers of Stanley Tucci drinking soy milk or the random chases in Hong Kong, China, or Korea in basically every single summer blockbuster action movie.

duckroll

These are originating in China though? Where she apparently won the equivalent of a Razzie twice. Of course its outside forces. And its perfectly normal. She just doesnt have the talent to back it up.

Talent to back what up? The token supporting Asian roles which helps tick the checkboxes producers and partners have? I mean, what is the scandal here? I'll tell you what the scandal is. She's a woman. God forbid a woman find any success unless she earned it ten times over by meeting every strong scrutiny we can think of.

Um... maybe look at the past winners of the US Razzies and see how many of those people still get roles. Outside forces for those too?

Carn82

Interesting. Now let's figure how Sam Worthington became a thing.

Well at least he has some background, as an actor I would rank him more 'capable' then lets say, a similar guy from Australia like Chris Hemsworth.

Also, I still wonder where they picked up Emilia Clarke.

Ratrat

Talent to back what up? The token supporting Asian roles which helps tick the checkboxes producers and partners have? I mean, what is the scandal here? I'll tell you what the scandal is. She's a woman. God forbid a woman find any success unless she earned it ten times over by meeting every strong scrutiny we can think of.
There is nothing scandalous about it, because even if everything in the op were true its just business as usual in every country. Just saying the rumors and acting criticism is coming from within the country.

Um... maybe look at the past winners of the US Razzies and see how many of those people still get roles. Outside forces for those too?
Yes. You don't automatically get roles you know.

There is nothing scandalous about it, because even if everything in the op were true its just business as usual in every country. Just saying the rumors and acting criticism is coming from within the country.

Yes. You don't automatically get roles you know.

Outside forces like God letting them win the good looks lottery?

I will say though that with the exception of the good adaptation of Watchmen under his belt, Zack Snyder is definitely getting jobs because of outside forces - those forces being his wife is a higher up at WB. I don't think that's really much of a conspiracy though.

Well at least he has some background, as an actor I would rank him more 'capable' then lets say, a similar guy from Australia like Chris Hemsworth.

Also, I still wonder where they picked up Emilia Clarke.
Game Of Thrones, man. That show is a wellspring of mediocre actors that have some name recognition and that Hollywood can pay relatively little to star in their franchises.

duckroll

He was amazing in Foxcatcher. Really unfair to lump him with the 2 actors mentioned above

Oh I wasn't implying he isn't talented. Just that he's another white guy who seems to keep getting roles in dumb blockbusters even though he's not an audience draw, and no one bats an eyelid at it because it's normal.

There are rumors and criticisms because people want to make it scandalous though. That's why this thread exists to begin with!

Game Of Thrones, man. That show is a wellspring of mediocre actors that have some name recognition and that Hollywood can pay relatively little to star in their franchises.

It gave us both leads for Iron Fist. The darkest timeline. Not content with killing characters off in the show itself, they have to kill off other franchises too.

I will say though that with the exception of the good adaptation of Watchmen under his belt, Zack Snyder is definitely getting jobs because of outside forces - those forces being his wife is a higher up at WB. I don't think that's really much of a conspiracy though.

It's not a conspiracy because it's not even true.

She was shoehorned in many big budget roles when she was nobody and was offered more roles even though those movie/TV soaps flopped PLUS she has little popularity for a long time in China despite major push. What studio continue to cast a actor when they make zero profit, or in this case, lost them money from the get go? Do you really want to accuse every single person who get suspicious of her force-down-your-throat "success" sexist?

AndersK

Yeah man! And what about this Daisy Ridley character!? Goes from nowhere to frickin' Star Wars. Like what the eff. She's even gonna be in more of them! Can't wait for the theories!

/s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom