• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chinese-American grandpa fatally shot by security guard while playing Pokemon Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the fuck? How the hell is a 60 year old on a cellphone threating? I really hope Chinese Americans protest the hell out of this. Terrible.

dohdough

I would be absolutely shocked if the killer wasn't white and when it comes to Asian victims, there's usually no justice.

Things like this will only become more commonplace in Trump's America. If I wasn't in a blue state, I'd already be strapped.

I also don't see why we have to take race out of this discussion and it's not something we should shy away from.

F34R

It's always hard for the family when they lose a loved one.

It seems to be real easy to jump to a conclusion that this wasn't justified without even knowing why it happened.

So far we know that the security guy shot him, and he died. We don't know why yet. Could be justified, or not. We'll find out in the coming days.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
He's not White.

Better kill him than be sorry.
This post is pretty disgusting. I understand your sentiment, but to instantly jump to this conclusion and frame a narrative prior to knowing anything is a rotten habit.

A lot of posts like this in the thread.

Maxinas

This post is pretty disgusting. I understand your sentiment, but to instantly jump to this conclusion and frame a narrative prior to knowing anything is a rotten habit.

A lot of posts like this in the thread.

Let's be honest here, what else could the old man have been doing that could have posed a threat to a younger, able bodied man? No reason to shoot someone unless they are swinging a knife at you, it's bullshit, and even then if you're well versed in martial arts you could even fight back without having to resort to using a firearm.

Zok310

Banned
If you take a life you should lose yours, but......

Deepest condolences to his family. One minute you playing a video game the next you are fucking dead because of some bone head with a gun. Gotta love it.

How has this trigger-happy piece of shit not been charged yet? What scenario could have possibly unfolded which resulted in him shooting through the guy's windscreen five fucking times!

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Let's be honest here, what else could the old man have been doing that could have posed a threat to a younger, able bodied man? No reason to shoot someone unless they are swinging a knife at you, it's bullshit, and even then if you're well versed in martial arts you could even fight back without having to resort to using a firearm.
Nothing. I think the old man dying is a tragedy and likely unjustified. I don't know, though.

I highly doubt that it was just a racist white security guard walking around with a gun taking target practice at anyone who is non-white, as the person I quoted is implying. This framing of the tragedy is pretty vapid.

Huh? Security guards are not armed.

So this motherfucker had his own piece on duty?

Hopefully thats enough to get him put away for good since killing an unarmed elderly man certainly wont be enough.

DavidDesu

America land of the free... to kill without legitimate reason, purely because you're a hateful bastard and someone who's not an absolutely straight laced honest to God American is a threat.

How many people with mental health issues, or language barrier issues, are going to be shot because some uppity terrified white American with a gun has the misfortune to cross their path?

If I had the option to ever visit America or live there, don't worry I would not be coming. My Scottish accent might frighten someone (but I'd get overlooked most of the time as I'm not a funny colour..). Urgh that country.

Probably gonna have some bs story about the van trying to run him over or fear of the car running him over by the angry driver. "self defense"

Huh? Security guards are not armed.

So this motherfucker had his own piece on duty?

Hopefully thats enough to get him put away for good since killing an unarmed elderly man certainly wont be enough.

If he has a concealed permit or such, he could have his own personal weapon on him, it likely isn't illegal. The security company can probably fire him for this if they are supposed to be unarmed though.

Dali

I thought security guards were just paid witnesses. Why the fuck did a flashlight cop have a gun? Well I know whatever company he worked/works for is about to get proper fucked.

Aselith

I thought security guards were just paid witnesses. Why the fuck did a flashlight cop have a gun? Well I know whatever company he worked/works for is about to get proper fucked.

Not really, there are armed security guards and there are unarmed security guards. Armed are WAY more expensive due to the extra licenses needed and whatnot and the local housing association already said they had unarmed though.

Undefined

theres a pretty big reddit thread on this.

According to a statement from the security guard, the guy tried to run him over with his car.

But then they discovered the car was already in park when it happened.

So did the security guard lie on his statement? Dunno but this story is pretty messed up.

Aselith

According to a statement from the security guard, the guy tried to run him over with his car.

So did the security guard lie on his statement? Dunno but this story is pretty messed up.

Of course he did

F34R

I was a security guard, and we carried a handgun.

dohdough

Without a doubt.

And if the car was new enough, there's more than likely a "black box" that can confirm the state of the car when grandpa was killed.

This shit is really infuriating.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
This is so fucking sad, can't imagine what I would've felt had this happened to someone in my family.

60 years old, who knows what the guy went through during his life and all the ups and downs he had only to be snuffed out like this...what a tragic end to a life.

Let me preface this by saying this is a tragedy that could have been avoided and that Nintendo should not be held responsible.

That said, I am surprised it took that long for something like this to happen. When Pokemon Go was launched I had a bad feeling that this sort of event was inevitable and here we are. I think it's more likely that Nintendo will have to answer to this than the company that manages security because that is the crazy world Americans live in.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
This is plain murder. The guy shot him repeatedly, unprovoked, through multiple car windows. So he shot the guy a few times through one window, then went to another window and shot him another few times.

Fuck.

My 62-year old mother-in-law plays Pokemon Go every morning. This could have been her.

Except she's white so probably not. Security guard should rot for this. Not even supposed to have a gun. Ugh.

F34R

This is plain murder. The guy shot him repeatedly, unprovoked, through multiple car windows. So he shot the guy a few times through one window, then went to another window and shot him another few times.

Fuck.
Why are people so fast to jump to conclusions without any information beyond a headline and a three sentence account of what is known so far?
What a heartbreaking story. RIP.

Also, that son of a bitch who shot him needs to be locked up ASAP.
Locked up for what? Would you be ok with being locked up without even a chance to explain why you did what you did?

Hero

Why are people so fast to jump to conclusions without any information beyond a headline and a three sentence account of what is known so far?

Locked up for what? Would you be ok with being locked up without even a chance to explain why you did what you did?

What explanation is there to shoot an old grandfather playing a video game on a phone in a parked vehicle? Go on, I'm listening.

bunbun777

Give him his day in court and hopefully throw the book at him. Since he's not actually a cop maybe justice will prevail for what it's worth.

I'm sure the grandfather styled some sick-ass Kung-Fu from his carseat to demoralize the shooter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom