• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chinese-American grandpa fatally shot by security guard while playing Pokemon Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

F34R

Sorry, was there an article that stated the vehicle was driven at the guard? Was it not in park??

Based on what I've read, that guard committed murder. It's a travesty that he hasn't been charged. Disgusting.
The info about the parked vehicle was from the family member, and then circulated at the many news articles. I don't know whether it was in park or drive. I'm sure the investigation will be able to determine that to some degree. If the vehicle was never out of park, the guy wasn't armed in any way, and there isn't any tangible evidence of a threat by this man, then I don't see why they won't be able to charge the security guard to the fullest of their laws.

blakep267

Shooting someone isn't a crime in itself. The reason for the shooting makes it a crime or not.

Believe it or not, this happens with straight up murder, too. Evidence, witnesses, etc. We don't live in a dictatorship. You can't just charge someone for something you don't have proof of (at least that's how it's supposed to work).

You can bring the guy in, question him, etc. Then you get evidence, witnesses, etc. If you can bring a case to the DA then you press charges and off you go to court.

That's how it works in America. Due process might not be a thing in your country but it is here.

Note because this is GAF: I'm just explaining how it works. Not taking the side of the security guard that shot the man in the van.
To be fair, black people can get arrested and charged in a few hours. Let's not act like this is normal for nothing to have happened at this point

You charge him with ex. Manslaughter and let the judge and jury decide if he's innocent. Security guard that isn't supposed to have a gun, has a gun and shoots a grandfather that is in a parked van playing Pokémon go

I dont think it really matters what the ethnicity of the security guard was, but the victim was chinese. media and the other 94.4% of america won't care. they'll throw things out like "he should have learned english!" "if he comes to america, the least he can do is learn the language", etc. america isnt what it used to be, or heck, probably ever was. the media doesnt speak for the rest of america, and theres quite a few anti-immigrant folks out there. just look at all the ones that voted the current regime into power. calling it first here that we get a Purge-like election in a few years time.

Mr. X

Bet his ass isn't even fired yet even though he broke policy carrying a firearm.

Blue Shield extends to rent a cops I guess.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I dont think it really matters what the ethnicity of the security guard was, but the victim was chinese. media and the other 94.4% of america won't care. they'll throw things out like "he should have learned english!" "if he comes to america, the least he can do is learn the language", etc. america isnt what it used to be, or heck, probably ever was. the media doesnt speak for the rest of america, and theres quite a few anti-immigrant folks out there. just look at all the ones that voted the current regime into power. calling it first here that we get a Purge-like election in a few years time.
You're right, there are anti-immigrant folks out there. To paint them as a majority, however, is wrong. I think most Americans would be disgusted with this tragedy. Especially those in my home state of California, for example. The leader you mentioned - Trump - lost the popular vote. The leader you mentioned has activated incredible protests all throughout America. The leader you mentioned has the highest disapproval rating ever.

You're alarmist rhetoric that 94.4% of America won't care, that most people will justify this murder as "He should have learned English!" and that we'll have a "Purge-like" election are not based in reality.

They have to investigate whether or not the use of force was justified? I can do that for them right now free of charge...

It wasn't justified because his contract didn't allow for the use of a gun.

Lesath

You're right, there are anti-immigrant folks out there. To paint them as a majority, however, is wrong. I think most Americans would be disgusted with this tragedy. Especially those in my home state of California, for example. The leader you mentioned - Trump - lost the popular vote. The leader you mentioned has activated incredible protests all throughout America. The leader you mentioned has the highest disapproval rating ever.

You're alarmist rhetoric that 94.4% of America won't care, that most people will justify this murder as "He should have learned English!" and that we'll have a "Purge-like" election are not based in reality.

Wow, for a liberal, you have quite an interesting post history on ethnic and religious minorities with regards to assimilation and profiling.

ant_

Wow, for a liberal, you have quite an interesting post history on ethnic and religious minorities with regards to assimilation and profiling.

If you'd like to discuss it, I'm more than open to discussing my post history with you. I don't see how it's relevant to this topic. Feel free to PM me or post it here.

commedieu

Banned
A grandfather playing pokemon go.. in a neighborhood he lives in.. decides to give it all up and kill a security guard?

That's the possibility to wait for the truth about.

Well. I mean anything is possible. Sure doesn't sound likely. Especially with the armed guard. That shouldn't have been armed..

But... hmm.

jmizzal

I need to show this to my Asian friend, she thinks all the black people who are shot by cops could have avoided it if they just listened to the cops.

Even tho this guy isnt a real cop, it hits closer to home when you see it happen to someone of your own race.

I need to show this to my Asian friend, she thinks all the black people who are shot by cops could have avoided it if they just listened to the cops.

Even tho this guy isnt a real cop, it hits closer to home when you see it happen to someone of your own race.

Sometimes you cannot convince people that have already made up their minds. They have to learn through Edit: firsthand experience.

Lesath

If you'd like to discuss it, I'm more than open to discussing my post history with you. I don't see how it's relevant to this topic.

I should have elaborated. It disturbed me how your sympathies extended to the the shooter and not the man who lost his life, and how you go out of your way to grandstand on your pedestal about the people in this thread for accusing the shooter of racism. Which I would have tentatively agreed with if it did not automatically derail the topic as to whether the shooter was a racist as opposed to the death of the victim. Unsettling, but I've seen it a thousand times and more in threads that usually involve discussions about racial prejudice.

I would have left that there, but then you go on to say that the shooting was "unlikely justified", and "I don't know." Removing race from the equation, one was an old man, and the other was a security guard who should not have a gun in the first place. Were both individuals white, where would have your sympathies lied? You have cemented your initial biases as much as any of us!

That set off alarm bells, and prompted me to check your post history, which, at a glance, includes criticism towards GAF for not being as critical of Islam as it is towards Christianity, comments about how "sufficient diversity is reached" in the Oscars (on its own innocuous, appears to be dog-whistling in conjunction with your other posts), disgust with GAF for approving Nazi-punching, and defended the use of racial profiling at an NYE event in Cologne. And this is just the first 4 pages. Now, I don't want to derail the thread with accusations, but I'd advise you to step off your pedestal and check your own biases.

They have to investigate whether or not the use of force was justified? I can do that for them right now free of charge...

It wasn't justified because his contract didn't allow for the use of a gun.
Everyone has the right to self defense, regardless of whether you are employed or not, and regardless if you are violating your company's policy. You just have to be able to prove you had a reasonable fear for your life in court.

If you can't reasonably prove it, then clink-clink!

$_32.JPG

As for the legal issues with this case... this is going to be quite a battle, with the absolute certainty of lawsuits. Was this guard concealed carrying? Does he have a concealed carry permit to do so legally? Was he open carrying on duty? If so, how did the guard's supervisor not notice it and let him get away with it? Etc. The guard's employer definitely should have a lawsuit against them by the homeowner's association/clubhouse via hiring unarmed security and not getting what they were paying for. Wrongful death lawsuits from the victim's family, etc.

ant_

I should have elaborated. It disturbed me how your sympathies extended to the the shooter and not the man who lost his life, and how you go out of your way to grandstand on your pedestal about the people in this thread for accusing the shooter of racism. Which I would have tentatively agreed with if it did not automatically derail the topic as to whether the shooter was a racist as opposed to the death of the victim. Unsettling, but I've seen it a thousand times and more in threads that usually involve discussions about racial prejudice.

I would have left that there, but then you go on to say that the shooting was "unlikely justified", and "I don't know." Removing race from the equation, one was an old man, and the other was a security guard who should not have a gun in the first place. Were both individuals white, where would have your sympathies lied? You have cemented your initial biases as much as any of us!

That set off alarm bells, and prompted me to check your post history, which, at a glance, includes criticism towards GAF for not being as critical of Islam as it is towards Christianity, comments about how "sufficient diversity is reached" in the Oscars (on its own innocuous, appears to be dog-whistling in conjunction with your other posts), disgust with GAF for approving Nazi-punching, and defended the use of racial profiling at an NYE event in Cologne. And this is just the first 4 pages. Now, I don't want to derail the thread with accusations, but I'd advise you to step off your pedestal and check your own biases.

I think you're misunderstanding me. I don't have any sympathy for the shooter at all. If you read my posts in this thread, I don't think I imply any sympathy for the shooter. I do have a problem with individuals in this thread prescribing racist motives to the shooter without any knowledge of him/her. It creates a narrative about the shooter and consequently incites fear and is alarmist without any real substance to back it up. Don't get me wrong; I'm in agreement with the posters in this thread that believe the shooter is a piece of shit. I'm just not convinced this is a racist hate crime.

In regards to my post history:
- I am very critical of Islam and Christianity and pretty openly so. I have no issues representing my views or defending them here. I
- In regards to the Oscar question, I think your viewing of the post was framed by your assumptions about me. I was legitimately asking a question, I don't know when I would feel sufficiently satisfied so I posed the question to other posters.
- The punching of Richard Spencer is something I still don't know about. I'm fine that he got punched but I don't support random acts of violence. The thread on GAF definitely has made me question my views on the subject of randomly punching someone with vehement views.
- I do defend the use of profiling in Cologne.

Pulling my posts out of a vacuum and representing them like this is unfair. If you'd like to discuss them in depth and have a real, nuanced conversation - I'd appreciate you engaging me in a PM.

From the Reddit post:
From the guards' statement, my uncle got out of his car and had an argument with them then tried to run one of the guards over. For self-defense, the guard shot him. First, my uncle was a nice man and he shows not violent behavior from all the years I know him. Second, he speaks very little English. That is another reason why he wouldn't get into any kind of argument with anyone. He would just leave the place. We have a witness/neighbor, who saw what happened. From her statement, she saw no argument between the two and all she heard was the guard screaming and yelling into the car then shot through the window 5 times. The car was still in park. Second, the community clubhouse requested unarmed roving patrol service. The guard got his own gun with him. It is still under investigation for homicide but guards are not under custody.
It sounds like an overzealous security guard who handled the situation very unprofessionally. The language barrier probably made the security guard feel like he was getting blown off by the man, but as security there is no reason to get into an argument with anyone, ever.

As for the car being driven towards the security guard in a threatening manner, I would like to wait and see what the investigation determines, but even then it could possibly be tough to tell. Did the man actually try to run over the security guard, or was he simply just trying to drive away and the security guard was standing in front of the vehicle blocking him from leaving? It's really too early to tell exactly what happened. Hopefully more evidence is presented soon.

An unarmed grandpa was murdered. There is nothing more that needs to be unearthed about the situation.
How about we conduct an investigation first to find out exactly what happened?

An unarmed grandpa was murdered. There is nothing more that needs to be unearthed about the situation. America isn't so great that people will keep immigrating here only to receive such treatment. When you incompetent fools run your country into the ground, you will be begging on hands and knees for Asian people to run your country for you.

To be fair, black people can get arrested and charged in a few hours. Let's not act like this is normal for nothing to have happened at this point

You charge him with ex. Manslaughter and let the judge and jury decide if he's innocent. Security guard that isn't supposed to have a gun, has a gun and shoots a grandfather that is in a parked van playing Pokémon go
Former: why do you think I wrote what I wrote in parentheses?

Latter: you can't charge someone for something without some type of evidence, again, that's how it's supposed to work. You can't just throw around manslaughter when you don't know the circumstances. To him carrying on the job when his job says no to carrying means he will probably get fired. If he was in an are where there are "no guns allowed" by law, it's more than likely a misdemeanor. If it was lawful to carry where he was then there's nothing legal that can be done.

I really hope we aren't advocating legal action for breaking an employer rule. "No smoking in company vehicles!" Get caught, go to jail? Yeah, no.

How about we conduct an investigation first to find out exactly what happened?

Perhaps the old man did try to run the security guard over. Why not move out of the way instead of shooting him five times? If you had the time to shoot five bullets, you weren't really in danger of being run over. Anyone with an ounce of reason would believe this is an open and shut case. The reactions in this and the Reddit thread just go to show that the population generally does not have empathy for Asian people (especially Asian men) and the elderly. You don't realize it, but the loss of an old Asian man's life just doesn't register as an event to most. If Asian people didn't already so thoroughly understand your population's depravity, maybe they'd be more up in arms.

Dead Man

Yeah, unless grandpa had a mental breakdown and attacked him from writhing the van I'm not seeing any grey area here. Guard needs to be charged.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I presume this guy is contracted, so he doesn't have police unions protecting him, so if he STILL doesn't get charged I can't think of a better case against the way America handles this sort of thing.

Nydius

Latter: you can't charge someone for something without some type of evidence, again, that's how it's supposed to work. You can't just throw around manslaughter when you don't know the circumstances.

GTFO with this bullshit. We already have enough evidence from the witnesses and the crime scene that shows the guard should be charged under the Code of Virginia's definition of Voluntary Manslaughter.

The mere fact that the guard escalated the issue by deploying a weapon he was not supposed to have on duty specifically classifies it as Voluntary Manslaughter in this state. At the VERY MINIMUM he should be in custody during the investigation and while the Commonwealth's Attorney prepares for arraignment.

GTFO with this bullshit. We already have enough evidence from the witnesses and the crime scene that shows the guard should be charged under the Code of Virginia's definition of Voluntary Manslaughter.

The mere fact that the guard escalated the issue by deploying a weapon he was not supposed to have on duty specifically classifies it as Voluntary Manslaughter in this state. At the VERY MINIMUM he should be in custody during the investigation and while the Commonwealth's Attorney prepares for arraignment.
First, no. I am leaning about 95% sure this guy was probably a wannabe Zimmerman. So fuck off with your accusatory typical NeoGAF agression with your jumping to conclusions when I'm explaining how laws work and just wanting to throw shit at people. It would behoove you to follow the convo I was having. Savvy?

Former:
I haven't seen any official reports of a witness. OP hasn't been updated. If there are some, link them here, please. As for the crime scene, again, I see no official reports other than a security guard killed a man sitting in a parked van.

Latter:
He had a weapon against his employer's policy, yes. Also, do you have information saying he wasn't arrested or detained? Or if he was do you have information if he posted posted bail?

It sounds like you are withholding from the rest of the thread since you know a lot more about this situation than what has been reported by the news.

Got any links?

Personally, again, I'm leaning heavily on a wannabe Zimmerman. I just won't say for certain since I have no official source on evidence or witnesses. I can only go as far as the edge without jumping off. It looks like it, smells like it, probably is it - but there is still due process to consider. If everything comes to a head and he is found guilty, under the jail and good riddance.

No need to be so hostile because of your assumption, friend. Just because I'm not passing judgement like it's spring-loaded doesn't mean I don't have an opinion that thinks this security guard is a wacko.

Apocryphon

So if multiple windows had been shot through then the shooter moved to get a better angle or was the vehicle moving?

dohdough

Update: Citywide Protection Servies, the security company, is stating through a lawyer that Chen had a history of problems with them and that they'll have a press conference on Monday. I bet that history revolves around reports of security hassling Chen for idling in a car in "no parking" zones or walking around trying to find pokemon.

http://pilotonline.com/news/local/c...cle_23d59183-659b-5c00-8947-bd8a5b881fc4.html

In other words: we're going to try and justify the unjustifiable.

Fuck You, Citywide.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Update: Citywide Protection Servies, the security company, is stating through a lawyer that Chen had a history of problems with them and that they'll have a press conference on Monday. I bet that history revolves around reports of security hassling Chen for idling in a car in "no parking" zones or walking around trying to find pokemon.

http://pilotonline.com/news/local/c...cle_23d59183-659b-5c00-8947-bd8a5b881fc4.html

Fuck You, Citywide.

Yeah - I don't like where this is heading. And I'm guessing the guy still hasn't been charged?

S-Wind

Fuck You, Citywide.

Even if all of that were true how the fuck does that justify pulling out a gun and shooting him?!

I hope his family has a really good lawyer!

Shoeless

If no charges get filed, all the family can do is go ahead with a wrongful death/punitive damages lawsuit. That's all that's left to them.

Yudoken

I'm reading through the article and can't believe what they're implying...

"He also said a vehicle can be used as a deadly weapon."

John Oliver had a segment about police accountability but I can't believe that even security guards (in this case they weren't allowed to have a gun) get away with killing innocent people.

Shoot first and go on...

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard

I mean, that would make me wonder too. Thanks for the info.

On topic, this was murder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom