• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chinese fossil finds shake up humankind's African dispersal narrative

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone with extremely limited knowledge of the subject, I admit I've always found it improbable that humans settled SE Asia, Polynesia, and the Americas in the time it took other humans to settle Europe, "advance civilization" and finally cross the Atlantic. I'm not even sure what the commonly held beliefs are regarding human dispersal theories, and its something I should research more, but hearing that humans may have left Africa and headed East far earlier than originally proposed makes sense to my layman's mind.

Keep in mind that those ancient humans were nomadic hunter gatherers for whom travelling was a way of life.

http://pandora.cii.wwu.edu/vajda/ea210/SiberianOriginsNA.htm

Within 1000 years of the first evidence of human habitation in Alaska, the same Paleo-Indian assemblages of tools appeared in all habitable parts of North and South America, from the Canadian plains to the tip of present day Chile. It has been estimated that if a group of a few hundred humans entered the Americas and moved at a rate of only eight miles per years, their natural increase, as the first inhabitants of a rich land, would have led to a population explosion (for hunter gatherers) and spread throughout all of the habitable portions Western Hemisphere in about a thousand years. This is exactly what seems to have happened.

genjiZERO

I'm be really sceptical about these findings. Went to a human evolution seminar this week, and one of the drive home points was that there is a lot of bias and political pressure when dating human fossils the narratives driven by governments with money and big personalities in the field.

Are they sure they are human ?

Screen-Shot-2013-03-21-at-4.07.55-PM-1280x900.png

YoungHav

Banned
Every few years China seems to find new evidence of Hominidae originating from there. Possibly, but even without evidence it is so obvious they have issues with the notion Africa is where it all started.
LOL. I am honestly surprised science would even bother to admit that humans originated from Africa. That's like the only thing we're allowed to keep so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom