• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christianity |OT| The official thread of hope, faith and infinite love.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonnyBoy

racooon said:
I don't think I've offended anyone. Sorry, didn't know there are threads on GAF I'm not allowed to post in. My mistake.

LOL. Nobody said you're not supposed to post here. I've disagreed with 2 people already and apologized for a misunderstanding and thanked another dude for clarification. Calling someone's God a psycho is offensive. I wouldn't go into a thread about a religion I dont agree with and call their God psycho.

Welp, this thread was good while it lasted, but it's just like every other religious thread now.
So hard for the minority to argue with the majority.

ivedoneyourmom said:
I know! I have excellent taste!

Pinkie Pie > Rainbow Dash, so no.
:p

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
kevm3 said:
Do we constantly have to have these threads devolve into homosexuality arguments or existence arguments? Is it possible to have one of these where we don't devolve into the same point of contention in which the two sides are quite entrenched in their viewpoints and have little reason to change?
What are you talking about silly, I'm having pleasant conversation. SonnyBoy's response really actually made me feel a little emotional that I could make his theological world-view more positive and forward thinking. Ignore the trolls and join it. Pointing out "LOL, thread's derailed" only derails it further. This is the last post I will make on the subject to avoid being part of the problem as well.

ivedoneyourmom said:
That said, just because you worship some deity that you most likely learned about due to where you were born, and who your parents were taught to worship, from some book that may or may not be the word of God does not mean I am am incapable of making my own judgements.

Yeah. You're capable of making your own judgements alright.

And from the above quote, it's "most likely" a gigantically fucking prejudiced judgement.

You don't know me, you don't know how I was raised. And you don't know anyone else in this thread either. And there you go, taking giant leaps of faith of your own about my history and my parents.

Snuggler said:
Thanks for that well-reasoned response, I really do I appreciate that. I guess it ultimately brings me back to my original point, though, that the antiquated list of sins in the bible is wrong. Stealing is wrong, yes. Murder, envy, hate, all wrong, of course...but how does homosexuality belong on that list? How is that wrong? Is it an act with intentions of destruction, or harm, or jealously? It's simply a matter of people realizing who they really are. How would it be 'right' to just suppress those feelings, the truth, and pretend you are something else?

If God is omnipotent, he knows who you really are. He knows what you desire to be, who you are meant to be. So with that in mind, how could he condemn you for being who you are, and who you choose to be? Would he really create a defective human being, someone who's doomed to living a lie just for his approval? Or to be an honest person, and to strive for happiness and self-actualization, only to be deemed a sinner?

I think it has more to do with using sex purely as pleasure and not for what it was originally intended for.
It's one of the reasons Catholics don't believe in birth control.

KtSlime

alphaNoid said:
In the end, homosexuality does not condemn you to hell. All souls can be saved. Please keep in mind I haven't been to church in something like 10 years. I am not going to defend anything I said because its all from memory and I could be 100% incorrect for all I know. Please take it with a grain of salt, perhaps someone can correct me if I was wrong.

Sorry if I am ignorant to this, but would the condition for a homosexual to be saved be for him to say that he is NOT really gay, and that he was made gay by being lead away from God, by society, or other gays, or Satan?

AceBandage: SOOO true. Their both cool ponies, but Pinkie Pie is the bomb.

racooon

Banned
SonnyBoy said:
LOL. Nobody said you're not supposed to post here. I've disagreed with 2 people already and apologized for a misunderstanding and thanked another dude for clarification. Calling someone's God a psycho is offensive. I wouldn't go into a thread about a religion I dont agree with and call their God psycho.
I didn't actually call God a psycho. If there were a God, I don't think he'd have a Hell. I was sort of attacking the notion of the fascist God a lot of people seem to believe in.

threenote

Banned
viakado said:
my point wasn't the title of jesus or his deity, but interpretation and addition from canon.
Ah, I see. To me Christianity has always been about the belief in the divinity of Jesus.

SonnyBoy

doomed1 said:
What are you talking about silly, I'm having pleasant conversation. SonnyBoy's response really actually made me feel a little emotional that I could make his theological world-view more positive and forward thinking. Ignore the trolls and join it. Pointing out "LOL, thread's derailed" only derails it further. This is the last post I will make on the subject to avoid being part of the problem as well.

The issue is, how many people can be open-minded, admit they're wrong and even apologize for it? Not many. I couldn't have done it a year ago but I'm glad that I'm able to now. You weren't the only person that I apologized to, but the only person who replied back. I think it threw them for a loop, I was supposed to be stubborn.

KtSlime

Pristine_Condition said:
Yeah. You're capable of making your own judgements alright.

And from the above quote, it's "most likely" a gigantically fucking prejudiced judgement.

You don't know me, you don't know how I was raised. And you don't know anyone else in this thread either. And there you go, taking giant leaps of faith of your own about my history and my parents.

I'm sorry, let's get to know you. I take it you are Christian? Is that too much of an assumption? Were your parents Christian? Are you from a community with a large Christian population?

I'm from America. I'll let you be prejudice against me. Guess what my native language is...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
AceBandage said:
I think it has more to do with using sex purely as pleasure and not for what it was originally intended for.
It's one of the reasons Catholics don't believe in birth control.

Yeah, that does make sense, but it does seem like something from an outdated perspective. Society has changed a lot, as we all know, and maybe it's time for a little update (like it's that easy).

thanks for your responses though, Ace, you've presented some great points for all my questions :)

Shanadeus

Banned
GAF+ Questionaire

1) Would you extend your life (you chose for how long, indefinite life extension is possible)?

2) If a man and a machine are both able to communicate with you in the same way, solve philosophical and non-philosophical quandaries in the same way and basically act the same way you act - would you consider the man and the machine equals?

3) What do you think of the non-cybernetic and cybernetic modification of human beings that have been born?

4) What do you think of genetic modification of human beings that have yet to be born?

5a) If a man and a genetically modified chimpanzee were alike in all measurable aspects like in question two would you consider them equals?

5b)If no, would your answer change if a chimpanzee spontaneously possessed these qualities without having been modified?

6) Would a human/animal-hybrid to one degree or another have a soul?

threenote

Banned
Snuggler said:
Yeah, that does make sense, but it does seem like something from an outdated perspective. Society has changed a lot, as we all know, and maybe it's time for a little update (like it's that easy).

thanks for your responses though, Ace, you've presented some great points for all my questions :)
You are definitely correct about sex being an antiquated issue in the Bible. But, to be a true Christian one must view the Bible (and Jesus/God) as the same yesterday, today, and forever. God's world transcends time and all that is physical.

I'm no Christian, but this is my interpretation.

jintek

Banned
Shanadeus said:
The whole concept of a separate and actual soul is very interesting.

Does chimpanzees, dolphins, elephants and many other animals with human traits have souls?

This is my main intellectual issue w/ bias human stroke jobs like "souls, rights, morality, ethics etc", is the fact that fundamentally with everything we know about science is a blade of grass is just as alive as any human. Yet, people are convinced that they reserve a higher place on the "life pyramid" than a Dolphin or flower. And to make it worse, they rationalize it w/ fairy tales about a "soul" and about "rights". Not because it's just basic humanism to maximize resources and not want to die (biological mandate) like any other animal, but because their own humanism (the urge to make yourself and your ego important) blurs the line between fantasy and reality.

That's just my personal view on the subject, my beef is w/ people when it comes to religion or morality is not putting into perspective what biology mandates (self preservation, self interest, reproduction) vs. their own higher intellect and the social will to defy those biological mandates. Instead human societies build themselves on instinct-related indulgences rather than what is actually practically useful and objective (laws, traditions, interactions, dogmas).

Problem with "objectivity" and "morality" is that they are opposite ends of the spectrum in practice. Because morality (and religion to an extent) demands that human life contain some measure of value, yet pure objectivity reveals there is no such thing as human value...it's just an instinctual stroke job.

An example of this is the theory of equal morality, being that every life has equal value and equal importance beyond a biased biological mandate. A tree or flower is of equal value to the life of a man, and if that is true (and if it's practiced and processed on an intellectual social level) then 99.99% of any human morality (secular, religious, non religious or otherwise) begins to fall apart at the seams. Our society falls apart, our entire process of ideas and ways we interact w/ the world falls apart.

So at best religion/morality is a selective set of dogmas and guidelines. That's not to say some don't serve good purposes, or a common good more or less. It just means that objectivity it's non-existent and it's biased crap at the end of the day. That's why I believe for social progress as times constantly change, and so we don't nail ourselves down into a "system of religion or morality" which becomes less dynamic with each generation and more of a "tradition" of set common courtesy's, we can move forward much more quickly if we followed social practicality.

If you think about it, MOST "morality", "ethics" and "religion" has nothing to do w/ intellectual aspects or higher brain function. It's mainly human instinct squared, multiplied and abstracted. I.E. religion or "don't kill" is simply fear of death squared and abstracted, toss in a little self interest and reproductive instinct too. It's not morality...it's humanism. Morality should be based on more than core instinct disguised as nobility or good/bad. But I'll end on that, enough abstract stuff.

I think today religion serves it's purpose to society well when it knows it's place. But far too often religion unapologetically elbows itself into things it has no business in. And on serious issues, namely private issues that's unforgivable, and should be condemned by religious people not supported imo.

Hey, Protestant Christian signing in here. I think it's a great idea to have a place where Christian-GAF can gather; hopefully it's not too late to avoid the degeneration that already seems to have started.

ULTROS! said:
Aw, people ignored my previous post. :(

Just for you then.

ULTROS! said:
Hey there, fellow Roman Catholic Christian here, I just want to share something. I've been pondering about it for quite some time.

In my country (Philippines), our government is still trying to decide whether to push the Reproductive Health Bill (promotes widespread distribution of contraceptives, post-abortion care, etc., you can wiki it as "RH Bill") despite the country being 70-80% Catholic/Christian. Though the ones who are for and against the RH Bill are most probably 50/50.

Anyway, our village officials decided to put up an ordinance that supposedly supports the anti-RH Bill campaign by only allowing people to purchase contraceptives through a doctor's prescription only and schools asking permission from parents to teach their children sex education. I'd like to go in to further details but that's another story.

Anyway, our local Church highly supports this ordinance despite my village's opinion against it (majority don't approve of the ordinance and think it's absolutely idiotic). So what the church did was inform the Sunday mass attendees about the ordinance (I don't remember what they said though, but my friends said they were misinforming the people) and passing a petition around during homily. Even during the homily they brought out speakers. Surprisingly, a lot of people did not sign the petition and in fact, I've heard someone cried because of this, someone walked away from mass, and I've even got friends who are devout believers who against the RH Bill wanting to tear up the petition. Actually, a lot of people are questioning our local Church's actions.

So guys, what is your opinion on this? Does our local Church have the right to inform us about such ordinance or is it right to criticize our local Church.

I think both. If the church believes that there is a proper moral response to a certain political or social issue, it certainly has the right to inform its parishioners about it, just as it has the right and duty to speak on the proper moral responses to situations in daily life. The church should certainly exhort the Christian community to strive to become closer to the image of Christ, in the political sphere as in every other facet of life.

At the same time, if one or many parishioners believe that their local church is taking an incorrect moral stance, they can and ought to speak up about it. Clergy can make mistakes, and they need to be called to repentance by responsible Christians like anyone going down a wrong path - even more so, since they are the leaders with the spiritual oversight over many people. The church as a whole must retain a critical element if it is to thrive and not let misconceptions or harmful traditions become enshrined as gospel.

In this particular case, going so far as to pass around a petition in the middle of homily is rather crass for me, and I think your church deserves to be criticized. I respect and, I think, agree with their ultimate goals, but there must be a better way.

Shanadeus

Banned
Snuggler said:
I think I speak on behalf of people of all religions and creeds when I say Shanadeus, please shut the
fuck
up.
You could at least try to follow Jesus' example in a thread about his teachings.

threenote said:
Ah, I see. To me Christianity has always been about the belief in the divinity of Jesus.
the encompassing message of the NT is that God made a new covenant with man.
rejection or acceptance of the final sacrifice of sin.
Jesus never made an official church. he was against religion. He basically said "i will count on you to spread the gospel. you fuckers figure it out"
hence all the thousands and thousands of sects of christianity. some being on the fringe, some way over it.

KtSlime

1) Maybe
2) Yes
3) I wear contacts and carry a phone
4) Depends on the modification, but this comes from a desire to maintain some semblance of equality
5) Yes
6) Yes

threenote said:
You are definitely correct about sex being an antiquated issue in the Bible. But, to be a true Christian one must view the Bible (and Jesus/God) as the same yesterday, today, and forever. God's world transcends time and all that is physical.

Yes, but in a sense, no Christian really does.
How many Christians eat strictly Kosher foods?
How many follow all the laws of a clean house?

None that I know of. I enjoy bacon often, myself.
The teachings of the Old Testament have certainly become more grey as the centuries pass...

Dipindots said:
Good luck to you guys, try to keep it civil.

I'm personally an atheist but I can understand why people lean towards religion and practice it.

So here's a question or two:

1) How did you acquire your christian faith? Were you born into christianity or did you "find God" through other means?

2) Other than your faith, how do you cope with the substantial evidence that contradicts both the beliefs and many texts of the bible? To expand on this question, there are quite a few glaring paradoxes that can be found in the bible, namely to creation and even with God's benevolence. When people bring up these paradoxes to you... how do you respond?

1) I still question my faith and whether I'm a christian or not, but I strongly believe that those who are secure in their faith are so because of divine grace.
2) You didn't even mention the various interpretations of Jesus and the meaning of the passion found the bible. The truth is christian orthodox has been shaped for many non-theological reasons through-out the last 2000 years and the canonized scripture wasn't chosen based on its consistency nor was it written with the intent to maintain such. The bible is more a framework or a document of people trying to understand our relationship with the Ideal. It is as wrong to interpret it literally as it is to demand it maintain a scientific consistency. It's late so I won't continue but I will say that those contradictions are not something that get in the way of appreciating in the book, and that this appreciation does not come at the suspension of reason and logic.

ivedoneyourmom said:
I'm sorry, let's get to know you. I take it you are Christian? Is that too much of an assumption? Were your parents Christian? Are you from a community with a large Christian population?

I'm from America. I'll let you be prejudice against me. Guess what my native language is...

I'm from Texas. I wasn't always Christian. In fact, I was genuinely repelled by Christianity due to the way some supposed Christians treated my Dad, who wasn't perfect, but is a good man. That's as much as I'm going to say about that. Over the years, I tried a lot of different religious ideas, and even the notion of no God, but I always found myself at least feeling that something was out there. Eventually, Christ found me, I guess, because I sure wasn't looking for him at the time. And by the way, he found me while I was living in NYC with a bunch of artists...Jews, Buddhists, Atheists, most of whom are still friends.

threenote

Banned
AceBandage said:

The teachings of the Old Testament have certainly become more grey as the centuries pass...
I don't think it matters what others do. It matters what the Book says.

Besides, if I'm correct, the Second Testament transcends the The First Testament. Jesus even heartily criticized rigid Jewish laws.

threenote

Banned
viakado said:
Jesus never made an official church. he was against religion. He basically said "i will count on you to spread the gospel. you fuckers figure it out"
hence all the thousands and thousands of sects of christianity. some being on the fringe, some way over it.
Interesting interpretation. I somewhat agree with you, viakado. Jesus is definitely portrayed as a rebellious character. He's often challenging societal tradition and rigid religious customs. To a non-believer like myself, he is very appealing.

AceBandage said:

Jesus criticized jewish laws and traditions found in the talmud and other mosaic laws.
in other words, the old covenants and other jewish laws are obsolete.
accept for one. the ten commandments

threenote said:

Besides, if I'm correct, the Second Testament transcends the The First Testament. Jesus even heartily criticized rigid Jewish laws.

Well, pretty much, yes.
It was clear that the following everything in the old Testament was impossible, and even corrupt.
Which is why Jesus gave his life to removes all those sins.

hellclerk

SonnyBoy said:
The issue is, how many people can be open-minded, admit they're wrong and even apologize for it? Not many. I couldn't have done it a year ago but I'm glad that I'm able to now. You weren't the only person that I apologized to, but the only person who replied back. I think it threw them for a loop, I was supposed to be stubborn.
Eh, you get used to it. I don't really have those expectations of people. Just love without expecting love back. It's hard, it really is. I'm sometimes an emotional wreck over it, and I falter more often than I'd like to admit, but it's what's right and good, and it helps me to exemplify my life philosophy.

Basically, either ignore the trolls or reframe the argument.

KtSlime

Pristine_Condition said:
I'm from Texas. I wasn't always Christian. In fact, I was genuinely repelled by Christianity due to the way some supposed Christians treated my Dad, who wasn't perfect, but is a good man. That's as much as I'm going to say about that. Over the years, I tried a lot of different religious ideas, and even the notion of no God, but I always found myself at least feeling that something was out there. Eventually, Christ found me, I guess, because I sure wasn't looking for him at the time. And by the way, he found me while I was living in NYC with a bunch of artists...Jews, Buddhists, Atheists.

Now do you think you would be Christian if you were, born in Pakistan?

I personally believe that religion like all learned cultural phenomena is learned, primarily due to location and relations. I speak several languages that my parents do not because they proved of use in a variety of situations that my parents were never a part of, however my native language is the same as my parents, and I learned it by imitating them.

If you don't mind my asking, do you believe in the literal interpretations of:
The OT
The NT
Revelations

And why might you interpret some in one way yet others in a different way?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
threenote said:

For sure, but that again brings me back to my original point. Does the Bible truly speak the word of God, or is it just someone's interpretation of it? Does the text deserve to be considered the word of God? Why would a benevolent God want you to ignorantly cast out those who you don't understand? It seems to conflict with and contradict many of the messages that it presents.

Should a law be followed if it is clearly wrong? We weren't 'given' free will for no reason.

viakado said:

this.

threenote said:

But Jesus himself was an observant Jew who although did criticize some of the Laws in the particular, still very much supported the purpose and intention of them and demanded that they be followed.

Nassimoluc

Neo Member
I was wondering if you guys can recommend some good christian music? Not necessarily worship music just stuff to listen to when at home on the computer or in the car.

I don't know if it is appropriate to ask in here (or the official Religion thread), but have you ever had/witnessed an event that you would class as a miracle.

If so, could you detail it (if you feel comfortable doing so)?

Nassimoluc said:
I was wondering if you guys can recommend some good christian music? Not necessarily worship music just stuff to listen to when at home on the computer or in the car.

Arvo Pärt, Bach... that's all I really know. I love both and I'm ignostic.

JCRedeems

Banned
Cool. A Christianity thread.

I want to post some of the most awesome Christian testimonies I have found. These are for believers (to strengthen faith and encouragement) and unbelievers (to know that God is real and Jesus is the only way to God.) I hope unbelievers would put their skepticism aside at least for a moment and check out the testimonies. I guarantee you will get something good out of these testimonies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7O86vUq1QU
Demons influence the world - awesome testimony. Watch all parts to the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzt9n13AfHs Teacher's testimony

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=turkish+jesus&aq=f Turkish finds Jesus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiNqhtKtfn8 Former Muslim to Jesus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmxwrgbbCec&feature=related Former Muslim

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rapper+lecrae+testimony&aq=f Rapper Lecrae

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ievmw19LhL8 Personal encounter with God

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgMjN8gpXHY Former Korn member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsyRvrbA9o0&playnext=1&videos=Kbg-GhQSFDY Rapper Mynista - Awesome testimony!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Umlqzb9LlM&feature=related Former gangmember

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGFNoGWkOE0 Chinese scholar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7dpGWYZMDc Sold his soul but God stepped in

Jesus instantly heals man who had a severe back injury. I actually got in contact with the man and invited him to speak at my church. One of the most inspiring testimonies I've ever heard.

1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42XJS6N8gPc

2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW3rGH7SyhQ&feature=related

3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ymoTyOk5aQ&feature=related

4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLAPQCceEAw&feature=related

hellclerk

Nassimoluc said:
Well, apart from Classical and Baroque period masses (Bach, Handel, Mozart, etc.), I'd suggest Gospel spiritual music (no artists off the top of my head) or if you like a Middle Eastern flare, I'd suggest looking up Orthodox chants, specifically Greek Melkite Catholic chants. I'm pretty sure a Melkite Church in Paris puts out a CD...

This is a standard mass. Not sure what part, I don't speak Arabic or Greek, and they use different tones for different things.

AceBandage said:
Well, pretty much, yes.
It was clear that the following everything in the old Testament was impossible, and even corrupt.
Which is why Jesus gave his life to removes all those sins.
Romans 7, people.

Romans 7.

Though really, it seems like most of us could brush up on the entire book.

Bloodbeard said:
But Jesus himself was an observant Jew who although did criticize some of the Laws in the particular, still very much supported the purpose and intention of them and demanded that they be followed.
que?
see Colossians 2:14
every decree and law was taken to the cross.

tearsofash

I grew up in a somewhat oppressive Southern Baptist household, but it hasn't had much of an active role in my life since I moved out. I love talking about religion with friends, but it's purely mental and not spiritual.

I don't really know what I'd consider myself these days. I practice basic Thelema beliefs, though. I'm also an RLC, but I mostly focus on Mark 12:31 in my daily life.

Some people called me pagan, but I don't think that's entirely accurate. One online community I used to be a member of said that if you don't follow the Nicene Creed then you're not considered a Christian.

Monocle

JCRedeems said:
Cool. A Christianity thread.

I want to post some of the most awesome Christian testimonies I have found. These are for believers (to strengthen faith and encouragement) and unbelievers (to know that God is real and Jesus is the only way to God.) I hope unbelievers would put their skepticism aside at least for a moment and check out the testimonies. I guarantee you will get something good out of these testimonies.
This is just... This is... Hmm.

ivedoneyourmom said:
Now do you think you would be Christian if you were, born in Pakistan?

Perhaps. I don't know. Are people in Pakistan allowed to look at religious texts other than Islamic ones on the internet?

ivedoneyourmom said:
I personally believe that religion like all learned cultural phenomena is learned, primarily due to location and relations. I speak several languages that my parents do not because they proved of use in a variety of situations that my parents were never a part of, however my native language is the same as my parents, and I learned it by imitating them.

That may be, but it was not part of my journey.

But I frankly don't understand your line. Is you implication that cultural or family influence somehow devalues someone's convictions, or that someone has less of an experience because they were "raised that way?"

I wouldn't say that.

ivedoneyourmom said:
If you don't mind my asking, do you believe in the literal interpretations of:
The OT
The NT
Revelations

And why might you interpret some in one way yet others in a different way?

That's a silly question. I take it you've never read the Bible?

The bible is literal in parts, absolutely fictional in parts (like Jesus' many parables) lyrical in parts, (there are songs, after all!) poetic in parts, and psychedelic in parts.

If you read the Bible, you understand this.

As far as different interpretations go...well, if you could get rid of all the other crap here, you could fill up dozens of pages of interesting discussion in this thread with the differences in interpretation that Christians debate about, which are the reasons for so many different churches, denominations, sects, and synods.

If we weren't so bogged down with trolls, something as simple-sounding on the surface as the story of the Last Supper could fill dozens of pages of debate among Christians, because the Last Supper is the basis for the Sacrament of the Lord's Supper, or Communion. This brings all sorts of interesting divisions in philosophies about the nature of the bread and wine and the Body and Blood of Christ during the sacrament, the practice of closed-communion vs. open-communion, ect.

viakado said:
que?
see Colossians 2:14
every decree and law was taken to the cross.

2 Timothy 3:14-17

But as for you, continue in what you have learned and firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it, and how from childhood you have known the sacred writings that are able to instruct you for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for training in righteousness so that everyone who belongs to God may be proficient, equipped for every good work.

Bloodbeard said:
2 Timothy 3:14-17

But as for you, continue in what you have learned and firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it, and how from childhood you have known the sacred writings that are able to instruct you for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for training in righteousness so that everyone who belongs to God may be proficient, equipped for every good work.
that passage has nothing to do with salvation. the whole chapter is assuming you're a born again christian already. im speaking about the atonement of sin and how one can achieve salvation, not about being righteous and fruitfulness. Jesus only mentioned one thing from the prior covenant. its to follow his commandments.

KtSlime

Pristine_Condition said:
That may be, but it was not part of my journey.

But I frankly don't understand your line. Is you implication that cultural or family influence somehow devalues someone's convictions, or that someone has less of an experience because they were "raised that way?"

I wouldn't say that.

That's not quite what I am saying. I'm saying people generally learn how to deal with the world based on their culture. I would expect that a Hindu born in India with Hindu parents would find it perfectly reasonable to believe what was taught, the same works for a person born to Rome 2200 years ago, they believed in the Roman pantheon because that's what their family did, and what was accepted as correct from the society. I'm not saying that it devalues the convictions, I'm saying that it adds no real value to the convictions - it is a form of ignorance, I imagine most people that call themselves whatever they call themselves do so not out of a rational stance, but rather because it's simply how they are raised, or how the rest of society around them does it.

Pristine_Condition said:
That's a silly question. I take it you've never read the Bible?

The bible is literal in parts, absolutely fictional in parts (like Jesus' many parables) lyrical in parts, (there are songs, after all!) poetic in parts, and psychedelic in parts.

If you read the Bible, you understand this.

As far as different interpretations go...well, if you could get rid of all the other crap here, you could fill up dozens of pages of interesting discussion in this thread with the differences in interpretation that Christians debate about, which are the reasons for so many different churches, denominations, sects, and synods.

I have in fact read the bible - I like to make parodies of some of the stories, especially from the OT.

So my question to you is, how do you know which parts are fictional and which parts are literal?
Since there are fictional parts, how do you as a Christian feel about people taking those parts as literal?
Why call yourself Christian at all if you are going to be grouped with others that call themselves Christians but have such a starkly different view of the Bible?

I think that when people call themselves Christian, they are permitting other people, with VERY different views who also call themselves Christian to gain clout and acceptance - this is a grave mistake in my opinion, and this is not limited to Christians, but also Muslims, and any religion that has people committing atrocities in the name of their beliefs.

viakado said:
that passage has nothing to do with salvation. the whole chapter is assuming you're a born again christian already. im speaking about the atonement of sin and how one can achieve salvation, not about being righteous and fruitfulness. Jesus only mentioned one thing from the prior covenant. its to follow his commandments.

Were we talking about salvation? The quote I originally responded to was referring to keeping kosher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom