• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christianity |OT| The official thread of hope, faith and infinite love.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaplain

ivedoneyourmom said:
That's the only way I can interpret it, otherwise why would Cain worry so much about getting murdered after being banished?

Because of guilt.

1 John 3:12
We must not be like Cain, who belonged to the evil one and killed his brother. And why did he kill him? Because Cain had been doing what was evil, and his brother had been doing what was righteous.

Chaplain

ivedoneyourmom said:
And with that I'm leaving… The literal interpretation of Genesis is preposterous, how people can not understand such a simple and fundamental thing as the theory of evolution is nothing short of a miracle. I guess God does exist.

Jesus, Peter, Paul, John, Jude and other writers all says the people of Genesis were literal. That is why we believe what is written.

Chaplain

foodtaster said:
So if the Devil believes in God, what does that make Christians?

I'm Christian, by the way.

As the Apostle James said, "You say you have faith, for you believe that there is one God. Good for you! Even the demons believe this, and they tremble in terror. How foolish! Can’t you see that faith without good deeds is useless?"

racooon said:
I don't know, that was an actual question.

Adam knew. That is why God called him out in Genesis 3.

Game Analyst said:
As the Apostle James said, "You say you have faith, for you believe that there is one God. Good for you! Even the demons believe this, and they tremble in terror. How foolish! Can’t you see that faith without good deeds is useless?"
Indeed. So if faith without good deeds is useless (as James says), then what is the need for faith? Why not simply do "good deeds," for it has already been implied that those alone are more powerful than faith.

threenote

Banned
Satan was never presented in early Genesis. In regards to the serpent: he never lies to Eve. He never does anything wrong--if anything, it is God who lies. I think it's clear that the Lord God was the serpent in Genesis.

Chaplain

foodtaster said:
Indeed. So if faith without good deeds is useless (as James says), then what is the need for faith? Why not simply do "good deeds," for it has already been implied that those alone are more powerful than faith.

Because we were created to love (which is the embodiment of good deeds). We were not created to be selfish (the opposite of good deeds).

I like where this thread is going now! I guess there is still hope...

I know I created this thread. Sorry for not posting more, but I'm currently on my Android.

racooon

Banned
Game Analyst said:
Adam knew. That is why God called him out in Genesis 3.
It doesn't seem like that to me.
" 6 When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it. 7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves. "Source.

It doesn't seem like we were any better pre-fall than after it. Eve knowingly disobeyed God.

Game Analyst said:
Because we were created to love (which is the embodiment of good deeds). We were not created to be selfish (the opposite of good deeds).
Where exactly does faith go in that equation? Also, people are inherently selfish.

Chaplain

threenote said:
Satan was never presented in early Genesis. In regards to the serpent: he never lies to Eve. He never does anything wrong--if anything, it is God who lies. I think it's clear that the Lord God was the serpent in Genesis.

The Apostle John wrote that Satan is the serpent:

"This great dragon—the ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, the one deceiving the whole world—was thrown down to the earth with all his angels."

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
For whatever reason, I feel the urge to try and contribute in the spirit of the topic:

I am not a Christian, far from it, or anything that would be recognized as a religion.

I've no problem with the religion in principle however, or just about any other in principle. I take issue with religious organizations, but spirituality and metaphorical frameworks for interacting with the world ! = organizations that take a religion as their title card and proceed to create policies inspired by the contents of said mythos.

On the Christian side of the fence, I actually rather find the Christ figure to be a great avatar for the spirit of cooperation, empathy, and mutual understanding among humanity; Jesus, is the ultimate hippie. It would be silly to have a problem with someone who looked at that figure as a role model. You could do a lot worse.

At the risk of sounding glib about a book many take as a sacred relic, the only advice I'd have for Christians is to consider for a moment exactly what they call themselves, and focus primarily on the Jesus bits. The rest of it... well, it is primarily the rest of it that believers use to set themselves up for a lot of pain, suffering, and cognitive dissonance, in my observations.

Otherwise, have fun kids!

threenote

Banned
Game Analyst said:
The Apostle John wrote that Satan is the serpent:

"This great dragon—the ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, the one deceiving the whole world—was thrown down to the earth with all his angels."
That doesn't matter. John wasn't around in the Garden of Eden, and he lived several thousand years after the alleged events on Genesis. Moot point.

Chaplain

foodtaster said:
Where exactly does faith go in that equation? Also, people are inherently selfish.

Faith goes against what my feelings most of the time. My feelings want to focus on myself and my world. Faith points me to a higher calling. That there is a plan. That God is in control. That I was made for more then just my present comfort.

People are selfish because they are sinful. Sin is about self. Sin is about me, myself and I.

threenote said:
That doesn't matter. John wasn't around in the Garden of Eden, and he lived several thousand years after the alleged events on Genesis. Moot point.
The concept of "divine inspiration" would also make your point moot. Anachronistic events happen all the time in the Bible.

Chaplain

racooon said:
It doesn't seem like we were any better pre-fall than after it. Eve knowingly disobeyed God.

They had freewill just like we have freewill.

You know it is wrong to lie and steal but have probably done these things. You made the choice to do what was wrong because you had freewill.

Chaplain

threenote said:

God goes into further detail in the book of Isaiah and Ezekiel. He doesn't call him the serpent but says it was him in the Garden. Let me know if you want the chapters and verses.

foodtaster said:

The other interpretation is "faith without works is dead," which many Protestants take to mean that good works aren't a requirement for salvation, but naturally flow when one has faith. So good deeds are a type of "canary in the mine" for Christians. If you aren't finding yourself doing something of worth, you need to examine your faith. You might be slipping.

Works are not more powerful than faith:

Ephesians 2:8-9 (N.I.V.)

8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.

racooon said:
It doesn't seem like that to me.
" 6 When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it. 7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves. "Source.

I dunno...
Immortality... eternal peace... all the food you could eat.
Sounds like a good gig to me.

GhaleonQ

threenote said:

Setting aside whether that's actually a reference to the serpent, that book IS called "Revelation." It's 1 of the few that Christians would argue was written down, Quran-style.

Kaijima said:
On the Christian side of the fence, I actually rather find the Christ figure to be a great avatar for the spirit of cooperation, empathy, and mutual understanding among humanity; Jesus, is the ultimate hippie. It would be silly to have a problem with someone who looked at that figure as a role model. You could do a lot worse.

This is largely an awful representation created by about 75 years of American pop culture and pop religion. You would do well to experience more art or experience the Bible directly, though I understand what your point is getting at.

Game Analyst said:
Faith goes against what my feelings most of the time. My feelings want to focus on myself and my world. Faith points me to a higher calling. That there is a plan. That God is in control. That I was made for more then just my present comfort.

People are selfish because they are sinful. Sin is about self. Sin is about me, myself and I.
Babies, which are supposed to be the epitome of pure are also selfish. Also, again, to do good deeds consistently and constantly would also do the same thing faith does, without needing faith.

Pristine_Condition said:
The other interpretation is "faith without works is dead," which many Protestants take to mean that good works aren't a requirement for salvation, but naturally flow when one has faith. So good deeds are a type of "canary in the mine" for Christians. If you aren't finding yourself doing something of worth, you need to examine your faith. You might be slipping.
Interesting. I think faith is a symptom of doing "good deeds," not the "disease" itself. Charity is the disease, faith is the symptom. When people make faith the disease, then you have already failed, for the disease cannot be lesser than the symptom.

threenote

Banned
foodtaster said:
The concept of "divine inspiration" would also make your point moot. Anachronistic events happen all the time in the Bible.
"Divine inspiration" is a convenient way to fill in a few plot holes in the Bible.

SonnyBoy

foodtaster said:
Babies, which are supposed to be the epitome of pure are also selfish. Also, again, to do good deeds consistently and constantly would also do the same thing faith does, without needing faith.

Faith in God and a desire to apply biblical principle in ones life (selflessness) takes faith.

Chaplain

foodtaster said:

Yes. But any parent know they do wrong all the time. They are not perfect. You do not have to teach a small child to steal. They can figure that out all by themselves.

I can agree to a certain point. But those good deeds cannot earn a person heaven. For Jesus said no one is good enough to get into heaven unless they are perfect. Faith in Christ is what God requires for eternal life. Good deeds naturally will follow from this not because we get anything in return but because we want to show our love & appreciation for what God did for us.

Badass. I don't believe in everything the bible says, but I still believe in God. It's a pretty loose belief but I like it - and I'm glad someone finally made this topic!

Edit: I think thread needs a reboot, lol...

SonnyBoy said:
Faith in God and a desire to apply biblical principle in ones life (selflessness) takes faith.
True charity transcends faith. In fact, perfect charity is the only real virtue one needs to strive for. If you are charitable you already implicitly believe in a God, unless you are being charitable to further yourself or boost ego, in which case it is not "true charity."

foodtaster said:
Interesting. I think faith is a symptom of doing "good deeds," not the "disease" itself. Charity is the disease, faith is the symptom. When people make faith the disease, then you have already failed, for the disease cannot be lesser than the symptom.

You may have missed my edit:

Ephesians 2:8-9 (N.I.V.)

8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.

It's pretty clear that faith is of paramount importance to the Christian, as through faith and by grace you are saved, and not by anything you have done.

This certainly doesn't discount the importance of your actions as a Christian though. The very next verse says this:

10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

Interestingly, this was a key disagreement in the early Reformation. When the first English translated Bible used the words "Faith, Hope, and Love" instead of "Faith, Hope, and Charity" it was seen as spitting in the eye of the Roman Catholic Church's extensive fundraising operation.

Chaplain

Some awesome wallpapers:

love_110311.jpg

elevate_090311.jpg

faith_0307.jpg

why-worry_0304.jpg

Pristine_Condition said:
You may have missed my edit:

It's pretty clear that faith is of paramount importance to the Christian, as through faith and by grace you are saved, and not by anything you have done.

This certainly doesn't discount the importance of your actions as a Christian though. The very next verse says this:
The biblical meaning of charity is to give "unlimited loving-kindness toward all others." Now, if you agree that God is love, then it should be easy to see how true charity (not the modern, corporate charity) transcends faith. To love absolutely goes above all the other virtues and summarizes what the bible is about. To believe in God (love) is to love.

Chaplain

foodtaster said:
The biblical meaning of charity is to give "unlimited loving-kindness toward all others." Now, if you agree that God is love, then it should be easy to see how true charity (not the modern, corporate charity) transcends faith. To love absolutely goes above all the other virtues and summarizes what the bible is about. To believe in God (love) is to love.

But we cannot love how God designed us to love without God first coming to live in us. It is then God in us, loving through us, that we fulfill our purpose for existence. It is not about me loving but about God using my body as a vessel to love people through me. He gives me the choice to die to my will and let him live through me.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
threenote said:
The specific events of Genesis never "happened". The creation story exists more as a cultural tale to compete with other faiths and as a IMO beautiful metaphor to the human condition and the methods of God's mystery. So therefore, your point is moot. Satan as it is remains just a larger metaphor in and of itself anyway. It exists as a way to personify the darkness in men's hearts, much like the Grim Reaper is used to personify the passing of life for the worse. Theological metaphor is very strong and it gets missed because people fail to look at scripture from a literary perspective.

And blasphemy from my tongue, do those wallpapers have to be THAT HUGE?

foodtaster said:
So if the Devil believes in God, what does that make Christians?

I'm Christian, by the way.
If you're a Christian why in the world are you asking this question? It should be fairly obvious. (Unless you're one of those Christians that knows basically jack squat about your own religion…)

Satan and Christians are theists because they have a belief in God. But simply believing that God exists is not how one gains salvation/favor with God.

-------

Even though I am an atheist/Christian apostate I want to contribute to this thread because frankly, I know a ton of stuff about Christianity and I want to share my knowledge.

Heck, that's how I left the faith. I knew too much. Haha.

Chaplain

doomed1 said:
The specific events of Genesis never "happened". The creation story exists more as a cultural tale to compete with other faiths and as a IMO beautiful metaphor to the human condition and the methods of God's mystery. So therefore, your point is moot. Satan as it is remains just a larger metaphor in and of itself anyway. It exists as a way to personify the darkness in men's hearts, much like the Grim Reaper is used to personify the passing of life for the worse. Theological metaphor is very strong and it gets missed because people fail to look at scripture from a literary perspective.

And blasphemy from my tongue, do those wallpapers have to be THAT HUGE?

The problem with this belief is that Jesus, Paul, James, Jude, John and just about every other New Testament writers says he is real and behind all evil. Jesus and Paul both said he is the ruler and god of Earth.

Game Analyst said:
But we cannot love how God designed us to love without God first coming to live in us. It is then God in us, loving through us, that we fulfill our purpose for existence. It is not about me loving but about God using my body as a vessel to love people through me. He gives me the choice to die to my will and let him live through me.
There is little need to let Him into you. By loving you are expressing your faith far more than any amount of reading or scripture could possibly compare. Hence charity transcending faith. The Bible is the manual, but people spend too much time reading the manual rather than doing what the manual makes very clear that you should do. The entire Bible, again, can be summarized into the statement: "Love everyone, always, and forever. And shall you will be too."

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Question:

Do any of you believe in a literal interpretation of the events in the Bible, including the old testament?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Even with all Christians, I feel like it is difficult to discuss "just whatever" about Christianity in a single thread with so many participants. There is a reason Jesus set up discipleship as the model. Because of that, this may be my only post in the thread. You'll understand why when you see how I respond to just two questions.

I am a Christian. Technically raised in a Christian home, but I was never really indoctrinated. I didn't even hear the gospel until I went out and found it on my own as a teenager after having come around full circle researching all sorts of beliefs and philosophies.

I'm not really with any denomination. I go to a Presbyterian Korean church but my beliefs are probably somewhere between what Frank Viola writes about and Eastern Orthodox tradition. I find most points of argument between sects ludicrous.

kinggroin said:
Quick question for everyone of faith in here. How do you feel about secular media? What I mean is, movies and games and books that don't really offer any kind of spiritual growth? You think Jesus / God care if you play something like say No More Heroes? What about movies? I'm currently watching Natural Born Killers while typing, but I never saw any issue with stuff like this. I feel to much of it can be bad (whether you are a deist or atheist), but enjoying this kind of entertainment on occasion is just fine.
You'll have to bear with me for a bit on this to appropriately understand.

God gives us freedom, but there is a purpose to living. God is to be the center of everything, not just because he wants it, but because he is. You make primary that which is primary, you give honor to what is due, you value more highly that which has greater value. If God is God then all is from him and through him and to him. He is truly primary, worthy of highest honor, the greatest value. If you make incorrect attributions of source and value, there are naturally following consequences which follow in that itself, even apart from God's judgment.

Worship isn't something demanded, it is the appropriate outlet. We always praise something, find our enjoyment and fulfillment in something, rest our hope and trust in something, let our hearts abide in the care of someone and for someone, and are thankful for something. These good things are from God, and we are to receive them in rightful acknowledgment (the downfall of man is described in Romans 1 as beginning with the refusal of rightful acknowledgment) while still treasuring him more highly than these gifts he gives.

This acknowledgment is vocal in one sense, because sharing something completes the joy we find in it. As I once heard from John Piper, it is not merely for the other that young lovers tell each other they are beautiful, but a love expressed is a love made whole. But not just with love, also with wonder, amazement, humor, all things which mark us human must be shared to be made complete. This is because we are designed as worshipers, and the source and returning direction of all these things is God.

In realizing this about the nature of worship in the vocal side, we realize that our lives are purposed in the same way that our words are. Our words direct our attention and complete within us the reality of God and our relation to him, but the actions of our lives write a history that is supposed to testify to his nature, not just in his character demonstrated through us, but in that all of nature is a testifying manifestation of his attributes.

Understanding this, you can begin to understand the general notion of holiness. It is not as though human creativity and leisure is opposed to God. We will spend eternity on a new earth with him, and by all we see in scripture it would appear that it will be something like Eden 2.0 where we are free to live and be and progress as what he made us, only with the threat of sin removed by glorification into Christ's character though unity with the Holy Spirit.

So secular can be holy, and whether it is or not is dependent on how your mind is receiving it and thus where your mind is guided by it. Christ was without sin yet he spent nearly all of his time among the "filthy ones" in society. Looking to this example, a Christian can partake in secular things just fine, but God's view on it is directly related to our view, our interpretation of it, our acknowledgments regarding its parts, our purpose through it.

With this in mind, one should be careful in how they receive things. You can easily waste your life away on virtual life, never changing anything in yourself or the world around you. Christ warns us in the parable of the sower, John warns us in 1 John. The lust of the eyes, lust of the flesh, and the boastful pride of life. These things can choke the life of the love of Christ in you so that nothing comes of it.

If you're Christian but that's all you ever do I think you'll still be saved, but it will be as a man snatched from a burning house, left with little more than his remaining life. Paul shows us a better example, a life of sacrifice and suffering to see more people found whole. He was called as a founder of the church, and people's roles will differ, but the Christ-like character of personal sacrifice for others will remain the same.

There will we a first and a last in heaven, and one who partakes in secular things should at the same time consider their productivity in eternal things. This is not merely for personal benefit, but a greater history of earth makes a more beautiful ending. Beyond this, good things for Christ are accomplished in him and through him, so you share in the work and character of the redeemer of everything. The honor is higher than we can comprehend, and you don't want to pass up the opportunity.

Dipindots said:
What are your peoples views on homosexuality and why?
I'm putting myself out on a limb. I hope I don't get banned.

As far as I can tell, it is a genetic variance with some obvious drawbacks. My eye genetics make me bad at seeing things, and homosexuality isn't all that good for reproducing. Some people have conditions that make them want to do things that scripture says not to do. For some, they have a condition that makes them hyper-violent and they need hormone treatments to keep them from having these urges, usually after they are in prison for rape and murder. For others, it can be a depression that makes them lose all hope, even kill themselves.

Homosexuality used to be counted as a mental disorder. Whether that is genetic or something psychologically developmental doesn't matter. There is good evidence that it was only removed from the APA list of disorders because of homosexuals within the APA leadership and stigmas surrounding mental abnormalities that society is still struggling to overcome as psychology advances. Like any genetic difference and related mental/social issue, it doesn't make the person a lesser person, and they shouldn't be forced to have counseling or seek "treatment" or whatever. Seeing as how little we even know about it, that doesn't even seem possible for a long time. It should be known, acknowledged, accepted for what it is.

In relation to how God views it, I can only say that is seems like the practice is sinful and should be avoided. I don't know how God judges those cases, and I am not in the role of judge. My role is to love, and yet part of loving is reminding others of what God has commanded and what he has forbidden. You can debate the validity or interpretations of the relevant passages all you want, but I'm not interested.

I can share a view from a different angle, related to what I said about holiness and worship. When Adam and Eve sinned, they felt shame and covered their privates. The relation to sin and reproductive organs doesn't make much sense until you consider what I said before about everything in nature being a manifest testimony of God. Whether or not you believe Genesis as literal, the picture is two people who received all of their understanding of everything directly from God. What they understood about sex had something to do with their souls, something sacred.

This is understood from the simple reality that two people somehow join together to bring a new one into the world. To genetically understand this is one thing, but from a spiritual perspective the implications are profound and full of mysteries. Paul later says that any other sin (even those affecting the body) is outside the body but sexual immorality is a sin against ones own body, and he relates joining with a prostitute to joining the Holy Spirit with a demon. Furthermore, in a different passage he says the union between a husband and wife is a profound mystery showing us Christ's union with the Church.

So yeah, a lot of mystery involved, a lot of profound spiritual things. Overall, though, I get the picture that sex is a sacred, holy thing that you aren't supposed to remix and re-purpose. That goes not just for homosexuality but also fornication in general and even re-marriage when the original spouse still lives. I don't see anything about masturbation in scripture but even that is turning a practice of sharing and union into one of self-service so I'm not too sure. I'm just saying that sex seems to have far more to it than our lust and/or love-feelings and we should probably be listening to the one who designed it in the first place.

Politically, I say let people do whatever they want. Marriage is a religious practice and it shouldn't have anything to do with the state. Sever that connection and just make it civil unions for everyone, even people who aren't even in love but maybe just want to partner in life for mutual benefit. They're two grown adults, so let them do as they wish. Accomplishing this would be 100x harder than legalizing gay marriage, but it would make a lot more sense.

Atramental said:
If you're a Christian why in the world are you asking this question? It should be fairly obvious. (Unless you're one of those Christians that knows basically jack squat about your own religion…)

Satan and Christians are theists because they have a belief in God. But simply believing that God exists is not how one gains salvation/favor with God.

-------

Even though I am an atheist/Christian apostate I want to contribute to this thread because frankly, I know a ton of stuff about Christianity and I want to share my knowledge.

Heck, that's how I left the faith. I knew too much. Haha.
It was a rhetorical question.

Chaplain

Short videos that answer various questions about Christianity:

What is the Central Message of the Bible?

Why Did Jesus Come to Earth?

What Did Jesus Claim about Himself?

What is the Gospel?

Is the Exclusivity of Christ Unjust?

What Does Jesus Have to Do with My Problems Today?

What Does It Mean for God to Love Us?

Is the Virgin Birth Important?

How Were the Old Testament Saints Saved?

Is Belief in the Bible Necessary for Salvation?

What is the New Birth?

What Is Reconciliation?

What Does It Mean to Abide in Christ?

How Does a Christian Resist Temptation?

Why Is Obeying Scripture So Important?

Is Baptism Necessary for Salvation?

What Was the Importance of the Transfiguration?

What Happened on the Day Jesus Died?

Has Science Buried Religion?

What Is a Disciple?

Why Did Jesus Say "My God, My God ..."?

Hate Your Own Family?

Wise as a Serpent, Innocent as a Dove?

Two Netflix streaming films that answer many questions about Jesus and Biblical Faith:

70074521.jpg

The Case for Christ
71 minutes

In this thought-provoking program, Lee Strobel -- a former legal editor for the Chicago Tribune and a self-described atheist who became a Christian -- shares the details of his spiritual quest and asks tough questions of a wide range of experts. Is the New Testament a reliable source? Did Jesus Christ in fact exist? Was he really the Son of God? And could Christ's resurrection have actually occurred?

70103776.jpg

The Case for Faith
79 minutes

In a thoughtful meditation on the rational case for faith, award-winning reporter Lee Strobel investigates tough intellectual objections to Christianity: Why is Jesus the only path to God? And if God is so loving, then why is there so much suffering? Strobel's answers can help clarify in Christian viewers' minds their opinions when discussing faith with their skeptical friends. The bonus featurette "Dealing with Doubt" is also included.

justin.au

I'm not religious, but you guys have terrible taste in Christian music.

Get some Handel and Bach and (Name-your-composer) up in this shit.

Also, a serious question, how many of you believe in God, Jesus, the Bible, etc. and how many of you just like the teachings or the community and identify as Christian? (I hope that makes sense). I get the impression that many Jews identify themselves as being Jewish not because they are believers but because of the culture, community, teachings, etc. and I wonder if there is a similar phenomenon among Christians.

edit: And family, how many of you identify yourselves as Christians despite not being believers, but because your family was Christian and that was the way you were brought up?

Snuggler said:
Question:

Do any of you believe in a literal interpretation of the events in the Bible, including the old testament?

Personally, not completely.
I mean, we're talking about hundreds of stories that for ages were just spoken word. Then translated, lost, found, translated, translated, and modified for modern generations.
I do, however, believe many of the major and key points of the Bible.
The Ten Commandments, God's promise to the world, that sort of stuff.

justin.au said:
I'm not religious, but you guys have terrible taste in Christian music.

Get some Handel and Bach and (Name-your-composer) up in this shit.

Also, a serious question, how many of you believe in God, Jesus, the Bible, etc. and how many of you just like the teachings or the community and identify as Christian? (I hope that makes sense). I get the impression that many Jews identify themselves as being Jewish not because they are believers but because of the culture, community, teachings, etc. and I wonder if there is a similar phenomenon among Christians.

I doubt it, simply because there's a stigma that comes with being Jewish that does not exist with Christians.
We don't eat specific foods or hold very specific ranks in our society as is common with many of the Jewish faith.

Chaplain

foodtaster said:
There is little need to let Him into you. By loving you are expressing your faith far more than any amount of reading or scripture could possibly compare. Hence charity transcending faith. The Bible is the manual, but people spend too much time reading the manual rather than doing what the manual makes very clear that you should do. The entire Bible, again, can be summarized into the statement: "Love everyone, always, and forever. And shall you will be too."

This is God's definition of love:

Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.

I agree 100% that people need to do what God says to do. Too many people fall into the trap of not doing what they know they should do. Spot on.

racooon

Banned
AceBandage said:
Sometimes knowledge is quite the burden to bare...
Ignorance is bliss, after all.
That's what I meant. :p
Usual Christian belief dictates that we were made in gods image, and prior to the fall were similarly perfect.
However, if were perfect (as in, we were running off the template god designed for us) prior
to the fall, how did we suddenly decide to directly ignore God?
Apologies for the flawed capitalisation.

GhaleonQ

Snuggler said:
Question:

I've always found this to be a confused statement, because I'm not sure what people are asking. I believe whatever the accounts presume themselves to be. Psalms and Lamentations are poetic books. Leviticus is legislation. Obadiah is argument. Joshua is history. Where there's ambiguity in the art (Job, the Genesis creation account), I respect difference in opinion and am less hard on exegesis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom