• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christianity |OT| The official thread of hope, faith and infinite love.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaplain

I updated my blog with a new Bible study on: "Leviticus 21 - Specific Instructions for the Priests (Part 2) & Leviticus 22 - More Specific Instructions for Priests."

I have been slow in updating the blog this week because my wife has been in the hospital since Monday. As many of you know, she has not been able to eat food for over 2 years. They put in a feeding tube 2 years ago, that feeds food directly into her lower intestine. This surgery removed the feeding tube, moved the esophagus, shrunk the stomach to the size of a lemon, and moved the intestines. This was done so that food would immediately go into the intestines instead of having to sit in the stomach (since the stomach doesn't work).

I ask for prayers on her behalf, and that God would be glorified through these trails.

Onikaan

I updated my blog with a new Bible study on: "Leviticus 21 - Specific Instructions for the Priests (Part 2) & Leviticus 22 - More Specific Instructions for Priests."

I have been slow in updating the blog this week because my wife has been in the hospital since Monday. As many of you know, she has not been able to eat food for over 2 years. They put in a feeding tube 2 years ago, that feeds food directly into her lower intestine. This surgery removed the feeding tube, moved the esophagus, shrunk the stomach to the size of a lemon, and moved the intestines. This was done so that food would immediately go into the intestines instead of having to sit in the stomach (since the stomach doesn't work).

I ask for prayers on her behalf, and that God would be glorified through these trails.

That sounds really rough, GA.

I pray for her health.

Asimov

Banned

Blessings to you, brother.

Is she going to be fine in the future? What do the doctors say?

Asimov

Banned
Guys... can I ask you a favor?

Me and my wife are trying to get a baby since a month ago, but still nothing (maybe it is too soon?) but could guys pray for us?

Thanks.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

Me and my wife are trying to get a baby since a month ago, but still nothing (maybe it is too soon?) but could guys pray for us?

Thanks.

Nine months at least is the usual Asimov! So prayer may be a little premature. But, yeah of course.

In practice, for many people, it can take 6-9 months to even get started - so it is a bit early to even think about panicking. Calm down there.

Asimov

Banned
Nine months at least is the usual Asimov! So prayer may be a little premature. But, yeah of course.

In practice, for many people, it can take 6-9 months to even get started - so it is a bit early to even think about panicking. Calm down there.

:D

TaeOH

Question: As Christians, where do you all stand in regards to the following:

1. Can a gay person who is in a monogamous relationship be in 'good standing' as a Christian?
2. Should the Church (Christian community) accept gay marriage since allowing gays to marry will unite them just as heterosexuals are united in marriage?
3. How do you feel about heterosexual Christians who do not interpret verses regarding homosexuality to 1) not apply to gays in a monogamous relationship; 2) to be understood in the context SPECIFICALLY for the community the author was writing too (Israel/ 1st century Greco-Roman Christians)?

1. I don't know.
2. I don't think the church should fight against it.
3. It is an interesting approach, but certain verses seem clear in that anything outside of a committed relationship between a man and a woman is not God's ideal.

Chaplain

I just finished a new in depth blog post on Leviticus 23 - The Feasts (Passover, Unleavened Bread, firstfruits, Pentecost, Trumpets, Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur), Tabernacles) of the LORD. All of the feasts of the Old Testament are covered. All of the prophetic implications to Jesus are also explained with scripture.

That sounds really rough, GA.

I pray for her health.

Ty for the prayers.

It has been rough, but through these trails, God has given us strength, and brought some verses to life for my wife and I:

"These trials will show that your faith is genuine. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold—though your faith is far more precious than mere gold." 1 Peter 1:7

"We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation." Romans 5:2-4

"Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing." James 1:2-4

"All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort. He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us." 2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Blessings to you, brother.

Is she going to be fine in the future? What do the doctors say?

She came home yesterday from the Hospital. The doctors are hopeful that this surgery will help her eat. But we have been told this before, so we are taking a wait and see approach.

A couple at our church were really sad a couple years ago because no matter how much they tried, the wife could not get pregnant. Fast forward to this year, they should have had their baby a few weeks back. I spoke with Miguel, the husband, and I asked him if he remembered the conversation we had a few years back at a Valentine dinner. He said that he had forgotten. I reminded him that we talked about God using them not being able to have children for multiple reasons. One of the main ones was to see if they were going to trust God regardless of the out come, and to help them grow in their walk with him (make them more like Jesus). Suddenly a light went off in Miguel. I asked him if looking back he could see how God helped them grow? He said he could. That they grew a lot.

All this is to say that it is important to remember that we suffer so that we can be conformed, and that, if we are willing, others will see the power of God working through our lives.

Chaplain

Here are some debates to watch for those that are interested in apologetics:

The God Delusion Debate - John Lennox vs Richard Dawkins

In Birmingham, Alabama, Professor Richard Dawkins and his Oxford University colleague Professor John Lennox engaged in a lively debate over what is arguably the most critical question of our time: the existence of God. The debate centered on Dawkins' views as expressed in his best-seller, The God Delusion, and their validity over and against the Christian faith. Both presenters agreed to the format and topics of discussion.

Christopher Hitchens vs John Lennox - Is God Great?

Christopher Hitchens vs John Lennox from March 2009 at Samford University.

John Lennox Vs. Richard Dawkins Debate - Has Science Buried God?

Oxford Museum of Natural History hosts this fascinating and controversial debate on the existence of God. Professor John Lennox explains how science points to an intelligent creator and Richard Dawkins offers a counterargument.

Christopher Hitchens vs William Lane Craig - Does God Exist Debate

Debate - Does God Exist (2009-04-04) - Christopher Hitchens Vs William Lane Craig - Biola University.

The God Debate II: Sam Harris vs. William Lane Craig

The second annual God Debate features atheist neuroscientist Sam Harris and Evangelical Christian apologist William Lane Craig as they debate the topic: "Is Good From God?" The debate was sponsored in large part by the Notre Dame College of Arts and Letters: The Henkels Lecturer Series, The Center for Philosophy of Religion and the Institute for Scholarship in the Liberal Arts.

Chaplain

I just posted a new blog on Leviticus 24 - The Law Put Into Action. Some of the subjects discussed:

The case of the Egyptian blasphemer.
The penalty for the Egyptian blasphemer.
The execution of the Egyptian blasphemer.
What is really happening when a person blasphemes God's name?
Provisions for law and order.
What did God mean by saying, "eye for eye, tooth for tooth"?
Lex talionis: the law of retaliation.

Also, a new University lecture just went up today on "What Skepticism Is Good For - Dallas Willard at Claremont."

In the modern age, skepticism is equated with intelligence. What room is there for belief in the contemporary mind? Philospher Dallas Willard (Professor of Philosophy at The University of Southern California) discusses the usefulness and danger of doubt in our society.

Prozel

I love Christianity. Without it there wound't be any confirmation for me and I wouldn't have scored 2.550,- EURO among many other presents!
:p

Chaplain

What is the difference between the body, soul, and spirit? Take a look...

388891_10200240663433250_973283867_n.jpg

A new blog post just went up for those that are interested on Leviticus 25 - Special Sabbaths and Jubilees (Part 1).

Chaplain

Commentaries on the three books are now complete.

Genesis

Genesis Chapter 1 part 1 - Who is God?
Genesis Chapter 1 part 2 - Day 1 and 2
Genesis Chapter 1 part 3 - Day 3 and 4
Genesis Chapter 1 part 4 - Day 5
Genesis Chapter 1 part 5 and Genesis 2 part 1
Genesis 2 part 2 - Adam in the Garden of Eden & God’s command to Adam
Genesis 2 part 3 - Eve, the first woman, comes on the scene
Genesis 3 - Man’s Temptation and Fall (part 1)
Genesis 3 - Man’s Temptation and Fall (part 2)
Genesis 3 - Man’s Temptation and Fall (part 3)
Genesis 3 (part 4) & Genesis 4 - Cain and Abel (part 1)
Genesis 4 - Cain and Abel (part 2)
Genesis 5 - The Gospel of Jesus in the genealogy of Adam's family
Genesis 6 (part 1) - Demons raping women, God's judgement on evil, and Noah
Genesis 6 (part 2) - Genesis 7 (part 1)
Genesis 7 (part 2) - Global or local flood?
Genesis 8 - God remembers Noah & God’s covenant with Noah
Genesis 9 - God’s Covenant with Noah and Creation
Genesis 10 - The Table of Nations & Satan counterfeits Jesus' story
Genesis 11 - The Tower of Babel and Abraham comes on the scene
Genesis 12 - God’s Call of Abraham and the many mistakes of Abraham
Genesis 13 - God Promises Abram the Land Again
Genesis 14 - Abram Rescues Lot and Meets Melchizedek
Genesis 15 (part 1)- Abraham's fears, doubts, and salvation.
Genesis 15 (part 2) - The contract between Abram and God
Genesis 16 - How we reap what we sow, and what happens when we help God out
Genesis 17 - God Reaffirms His Covenant with Abraham
Genesis 18:1-15 part 1- Jesus appears to Abraham & Sarah's sin of unbelief
Genesis 18 part 2 - "Abraham intercedes for the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah"
Genesis 19:1-29 - The Destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah
Genesis 20 - "Abraham lies about Sarah again and attempts to justify his sin"
Genesis 22 part 1 - The parallels between Isaac and Jesus
Genesis 22 part 2 & Genesis 23 - Sarah Dies and Is Buried
Genesis 24 - Isaac and Rebekah (part 1)
Genesis 24 (part 2) - "Isaac, Rebekah, Jesus, and the Church"
Genesis 25 - Abraham’s Death; Jacob and Esau Born to Isaac (Part 1)
Genesis 25 (Part 2) & Genesis 26 - Isaac Sins Like Abraham His Father
Genesis 27 - What happens when we choose not to trust God
Genesis 28 - Jacob Flees From Esau, meets God, and tries to make a deal with God
Genesis 29 Part 1 - Jacob falls in love, becomes a servant, and is deceived
Genesis 29 PT2 & Genesis 30 PT1 - The Children Born to Jacob
Genesis 30 Part 2
Genesis 31 - Jacob Flees From Laban to Canaan
Genesis 32 PT1 - Jacob meets angels, seeks peace, gives in to fear
Genesis 32 PT2 - Jacob wrestles with Jesus and loses, & God changes His name
Genesis 33 - The Meeting of Jacob and Esau
Genesis 34 - What happens when we choose to ignore God's warnings.
Genesis 35 PT1 - The amazing things that can happen when we return to God
Genesis 35 PT2 & Genesis 36
Genesis 37 - Joseph Is Sold Into Slavery
Genesis 38 - What happens when everyone does whatever seems right to them
Genesis 39 Part 1 - Joseph's character despite his outward circumstances
Genesis 39 PT2 - Genesis 40 PT1 - Joseph Interprets Dreams in Prison
Genesis 40 PT2 - Genesis 41 PT1 - Joseph Interprets Pharaoh’s Dream
Genesis 41 PT2- all things work together for good to those who love God
Genesis 42 - How to get rid of guilt and keep our consciences clear
Genesis 43 & Genesis 44 part 1 - Joseph and his brothers are reunited
Genesis 44/45 - Joseph is Reconciled With His Brothers
Genesis 46 & 47 Jacob meets Joseph and Pharaoh
Genesis 48 - Jacob Blesses Joseph’s Sons
Genesis 49 Pt 1- The Blessing & Prophecies given to the Sons of Jacob
Genesis 49 Pt2 - Genesis 50 The Burial of Jacob; the Death of Joseph

Exodus

Exodus 1 - Israel Multiplies in Egypt
Exodus 2 - Moses’ Birth, upbringing, his murder, escape from Egypt, and marriage
Exodus 3 part 1 - Moses and the Burning Bush
Exodus 3 part 2 & Exodus 4 part 1 "The many excuses of Moses"
Exodus 4 part 2 - Exodus 5 part 1 "Moses Meets Pharaoh"
Exodus 5 part 2 & Exodus 6 "God’s Assurance to Moses"
Exodus 6 part 2 - "God’s Assurance to Moses"
Exodus 7 - Miracles and Plagues before Pharaoh
Exodus 8 - Plagues two through four come upon Egypt
Exodus 9 - Plagues five through seven come upon Egypt
Exodus 10 - Plagues eight and nine come upon Egypt
Exodus 11 - Plague ten is announced & Exodus 12 Pt1 - The Passover
Exodus 12 Pt2 - God Institutes the Passover which points to Jesus
Exodus 12 Pt3 & Exodus 13 pt1 - God’s Instruction to Israel upon Their Departure
Exodus 13 PT2 & Exodus 14 PT1 - The Crossing of the Red Sea
Exodus 14 PT2 - The Jews cross the Red Sea
Exodus 15 - The first song in the Bible: The song of Moses
Exodus 16 Part 1 - God's Provides Food for the Children of Israel
Exodus 16 PT2 & Exodus 17 PT1 - God’s Provision and Protection of Israel
Exodus 17 PT2 - How to deal with our flesh and the power of prayer
Exodus 18 - Jethro's Counsel to Moses & Exodus 19 PT1 - Israel Comes to Mount Sinai
Exodus 19 PT2 - The lessons we can learn from Israel coming to Mount Sinai
Exodus 20 PT.1 - The Ten Commandments (Commandment 1 & 2)
Exodus 20 PT.2 - The Ten Commandments (Commandment 3 through 8)
Exodus 20 PT.3 - The Ten Commandments (Commandment 9 &10) and the rest of the chapter
Exodus 21 - Laws Regarding Slavery, Violence, Negligence, Retribution, Injury, Murder, & Disability To Direct Judges
Exodus 22 - More Laws to Direct Judges
Exodus 23 - More Laws Directed to Judges
Exodus 24 - Israel Accepts the Lord’s Covenant & Exodus 25 - Supplies and Directions for the Tabernacle (part 1)
Exodus 25 - Supplies and Directions for the Tabernacle (part 2) & Exodus 26 - Coverings and Curtains for the Tabernacle (part 1)
Exodus 26 - Coverings and Curtains for the Tabernacle (part 2) & Exodus 27 - The Court of the Tabernacle
Exodus 28 - Garments for Priests
Exodus 29 - The Consecration of the Priests (Part 1)
Exodus 29 - The Consecration of the Priests (Part 2)
Exodus 30 - More Tabernacle Related Subjects
Exodus 31 - The Call of Bezaleel and Aholiab & Exodus 32 - The Golden Calf (Part 1)
Exodus 32 - The Golden Calf (Part 2)
Exodus 32 - The Golden Calf (Part 3) & Exodus 33 - Israel's Path of Restored Fellowship (part 1)
Exodus 33 - Israel's Path of Restored Fellowship (part 2)
Exodus 34 - The Covenant Renewed (part 1)
Exodus 34 - The Covenant Renewed (part 2) & Exodus 35 through 40

Leviticus

Introduction to the Book of Leviticus & Leviticus 1 - The Burnt Offering
Leviticus 2 - The Grain Offering & Leviticus 3 - The Peace Offering
Leviticus 4 - The Sin Offering
Leviticus 5 - The Sin Offering and the Guilt Offering
Leviticus 6 & 7 - Instructions For the Priests
Leviticus 8 - The Consecration of Priests (Part 1)
Leviticus 8 - The Consecration of Priests (Part 2) & Leviticus 9 - More on the Consecration of Priests
Leviticus 10 - The Sin of Nadab and Abihu & The Conduct of Priests
Leviticus 11 - God's Health Code for Clean and Unclean Animals
Leviticus 12 - Cleansing/Purification After Childbirth & Leviticus 13 - The Diagnosis of Leprosy
Leviticus 14 - Rituals On the Cleansing of a Leper & Leviticus 15 - Laws Concerning Bodily Discharges
Leviticus 16 - The Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur)
Leviticus 17 - The Sanctity of Blood & Leviticus 18 - Laws of Sexual Morality (Part 1)
Leviticus 18 - Laws of Sexual Morality (Part 2)
Leviticus 19 - Moral & Spiritual Laws (Part 1)
Leviticus 19 - Moral & Spiritual Laws (Part 2) & Leviticus 20 - Punishments for Laws Already Given (Part 1)
Leviticus 20 - Punishments for Laws Already Given (Part 2) & Leviticus 21 - Specific Instructions for the Priests (Part 1)
Leviticus 21 - Specific Instructions for the Priests (Part 2) & Leviticus 22 - More Specific Instructions for Priests
Leviticus 23 - The Feasts (Passover, Unleavened Bread, firstfruits, Pentecost, Trumpets, Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur), Tabernacles) of the LORD
Leviticus 24 - The Law Put Into Action
Leviticus 25 - Special Sabbaths and Jubilees (Part 1)
Leviticus 25 - Special Sabbaths and Jubilees (Part 2)
Leviticus 26 - Blessings and Curses & Leviticus 27 - The Redemption of Things Vowed to God

Numbers - Just started

Background on the Book of Numbers & Numbers 1 - The Census of Israel

Thanks.

Of course!

You should look into the Billings Natural Family Planning method. It'll show you and your wife how to determine 'peak fertility days', ie when you should/shouldn't seal the deal. And it's handy for the post-kiddie phase if you want to avoid contraception/jimmy hats.

Game Analyst, what sect/denomination are you part of?

Chaplain

I am just going to post my churches statement of faith because it falls in line with everything I personally believe (and I have to go to some appointments right now).

1. We believe that there is one living and true GOD, eternally existing in three persons: The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, equal in power and glory; that this triune God created all, upholds all, and governs all things. (Genesis 1:1; Deuteronomy 6:4; Matthew 28:19; John 10:30; Hebrews 9:14)

2. We believe that the scriptures of the Old and New Testaments are the Word of God, fully inspired without error in the original manuscripts, and the infallible rule of faith and practice. The Word of God is the foundation upon which this church operates and is the basis for which this church is governed. We believe that the Word of God supersedes any earthly law that is contrary to the Holy Scriptures. We believe that the King James Version of the Bible is the most accurate translation from the original ancient text. It is from this translation that we establish our doctrine and Statement of Faith. (Isaiah 28:13; Nehemiah 8:8; John 17:17; 2 Timothy 3:16-17; Hebrews 4:12; 1 Peter 1:23-25; 2 Peter 1:21)

3. We believe in the person of God the Father, an Infinite, personal Spirit, perfect in holiness, wisdom, power and love; that He concerns Himself mercifully in the affairs of men; that He hears and answers prayer; and that He saves from sin and death all those who come to Him through Jesus Christ. (Deuteronomy 33:27; Psalms 90:2; 102:27; John 4:24; 1 Timothy 1:17; Titus 1:3)

4. We believe in the person of Jesus Christ, God's only begotten Son, conceived by the Holy Spirit. We believe in His virgin birth, sinless life, miracles and teachings, His substitutionary atoning death, bodily resurrection, ascension into heaven, perpetual intercession for His people and personal, visible return to earth. (Isaiah 7:14; Micah 5:2; Matthew 1:23; Mark 16:19; Luke 1:34-35; John 1:1-2, 8:58, 11:25; 1 Corinthians 15:3-4; Hebrews 1:8; 1 John 1:2; Revelation 1:8)

5. We believe in the person of the Holy Spirit, Who came forth from the Father and Son to convict the world of sin, righteousness, and judgment, and to regenerate, sanctify and empower for ministry all who believe in Christ; (Acts 1:8; 2 Corinthians 3:18; John 16:8-11; Romans 15:13,16; Hebrews 9:14)

6. We believe the Holy Spirit indwells every believer in Jesus Christ and that He is an abiding helper, teacher, and guide. (John 14:16-17, 16:8-11)

7. We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit and in the exercise of all Biblical gifts of the Spirit. (1 Corinthians 12, 14; Romans 12)

8. We believe that all people are sinners by nature and, therefore, are under condemnation; that God regenerates based upon faith by the Holy Spirit, those who repent of their sins and confess Jesus Christ as Lord. (Acts 8:15-17; Titus 3:5)

9. We believe in the universal church, the living spiritual body, of which Christ is the head and all who are born again are members. (1 Corinthians 12:12-13; Ephesians 4:15-16)

10. We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ committed two ordinances to the church: (a) full immersion water baptism, and (b) the Lord's Supper. (Matthew 28:19; Acts 2:38; Mark 1:9; 1 Corinthians 11:23-26)

11. We believe also in the laying on of hands for the baptism of the Holy Spirit and the ordination of pastors, elders, and deacons, and for the receiving of the perpetuity of the gifts of the Holy Spirit. (Acts 6:6, 8:17; 1 Timothy 4:14)

12. We believe in the Second Coming of Jesus Christ which is His personal, visible return to earth and the establishment of His millennial kingdom, in the resurrection of the body, the final judgment and eternal blessing of the righteous and endless suffering of the wicked.
(Matthew 16:27; Acts 1:11; Revelation 19:11-16, 20:11-15)

13. We believe in a literal Heaven and a literal Hell and that all those who place their faith, hope and trust in Jesus Christ will spend eternity in Heaven with the Lord, while those who reject Jesus’ free gift of salvation will spend eternity separated from the Lord in Hell.
(Matthew 5:3, 25:31-34; Hebrews 12:23; 1 Peter 1:4; Psalm 9:17; Matthew 5:22; 18:9; Luke 12:5)

14. We believe in the Pre-Tribulation Rapture of the Church where all believers will meet the Lord in the air and be taken out of this world prior to the Tribulation that will come upon the earth. (Matthew 24:29-31; Luke 21:36; Romans 1:18, 5:9; 1 Thessalonians 5:9;
2 Peter 2:7-9; Revelation 5:7-10, 7:13-14)

Asimov

Banned
I am just going to post my churches statement of faith because it falls in line with everything I personally believe (and I have to go to some appointments right now).

Could you talk about baptism?

If, for example... a person accept Christ as his savior, but didn't get baptized (let's say, he suddenly dies because of a disease or accident)... what would happen?

Chaplain

If, for example... a person accept Christ as his savior, but didn't get baptized (let's say, he suddenly dies because of a disease or accident)... what would happen?

The person would be saved regardless if they were baptized or not. Here are some verses that show why:

The criminal who was saved and never baptized:

"But the other criminal protested, “Don’t you fear God even when you have been sentenced to die? We deserve to die for our crimes, but this man hasn’t done anything wrong.” Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your Kingdom.”And Jesus replied, “I assure you, today you will be with me in paradise.” Luke 23:40-43

Saul (before becoming Paul) saved before he was ever baptized in Acts 9:

v5. “Who are you, lord?” Saul asked.
v 10-12. "Now there was a believer in Damascus named Ananias. The Lord spoke to him in a vision, calling, “Ananias!” “Yes, Lord!” he replied. The Lord said, “Go over to Straight Street, to the house of Judas. When you get there, ask for a man from Tarsus named Saul. He is praying to me right now. I have shown him a vision of a man named Ananias coming in and laying hands on him so he can see again.”
V17. "So Ananias went and found Saul. He laid his hands on him and said, “Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus, who appeared to you on the road, has sent me so that you might regain your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit.”

Cornelius and his household receiving salvation before they were baptized:

"Even as Peter was saying these things, the Holy Spirit fell upon all who were listening to the message. The Jewish believers who came with Peter were amazed that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles, too. For they heard them speaking in other tongues and praising God. Then Peter asked, “Can anyone object to their being baptized, now that they have received the Holy Spirit just as we did?” So he gave orders for them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Afterward Cornelius asked him to stay with them for several days." Acts 10:44-48

Paul only mentioning that the Gospel saves (he never mentions baptism):

"Moreover, brethren, I declare to you the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received and in which you stand, by which also you are saved, if you hold fast that word which I preached to you—unless you believed in vain. For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures," 1 Corinthians 15:1-4

Hope that helped. Let me know if there are other questions that you have.

t-ramp

Could you talk about baptism?

The way I've been taught is that baptism is "an outward symbol of an inward change."

I was basically forced to be baptized as a teen by my parents, though, which was rather awful.

Onikaan

GA, why do you think that there are many Christians today that believe the Gift of the Holy Spirit is given to you when you simply believe/become saved?

You quoted Acts 10:44-48 where they were not prayed for, nor were hands laid upon them but they received the Spirit.

Is it purely to do with how God chooses to distribute his gift? Why do some situations/people require prayer to be endowed?

Chaplain

The way I've been taught is that baptism is "an outward symbol of an inward change."

I agree with this as well. I believe Paul's assertion about a changed heart (the inner man) mattering more than circumcision (the outward act of a persons faith) could be applied to baptism:

"For you are not a true Jew just because you were born of Jewish parents or because you have gone through the ceremony of circumcision. No, a true Jew is one whose heart is right with God. And true circumcision is not merely obeying the letter of the law; rather, it is a change of heart produced by God’s Spirit. And a person with a changed heart seeks praise from God, not from people." Romans 2

"Circumcision and baptism do about the same thing that a label on a can does. If the outer label doesn’t match with what is on the inside, something is wrong! If there are carrots inside the can, you can put a label says “Peas” but it doesn’t change what is inside the can. Being born again changes what is inside the can, and then you can put the appropriate label on the outside." (Guzik)

I was basically forced to be baptized as a teen by my parents, though, which was rather awful.

Sorry to hear that. God wants each person to obey Him because they want to obey Him. He doesn't want people doing anything if they are forced to do it.

GA, why do you think that there are many Christians today that believe the Gift of the Holy Spirit is given to you when you simply believe/become saved?

Because they are not being diligent by studying God's Word to see what it says. I have seen many atheists, on GAF for example, at least have a better understanding of what God's Word says than some Christians.

It takes discipline and time to study God's Word, learn what it says with the HS's help, and then put into practice what God has called the person to do. I believe too many people expect God to just give them the information without ever having to read and study.

Is it purely to do with how God chooses to distribute his gift? Why do some situations/people require prayer to be endowed?

Many times in the book of Acts people are baptized with the Holy Spirit, prayed for to receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit, and even after being baptized, they ask for the Holy Spirit to baptize them again at a later time. Why? I believe because God doesn't want us to box Him in on how he does things, and because He wants us in fellowship with Him constantly.

Hope that helped.

I recently uploaded a whole series on "Basic Foundations for the Christian Faith." Here are all 12 of the studies to download.

(Right Click/Save As)

Sin and Salvation #1 (Selected Scriptures)
The Importance of God's Word, pt. 1 #2 (Selected Scriptures)
The Importance of God's Word, pt. 2 #3 (Selected Scriptures)
The Importance of God's Word, pt. 3 #4 (Selected Scriptures)
Prayer, pt. 1 #5 (Selected Scriptures)
Prayer, pt. 2 #6 (Selected Scriptures)
The Believer's Position in Fellowship #7 (Selected Scriptures)
The Believer's Function in Fellowship #8 (Selected Scriptures)
The Gifts of the Believer in Fellowship #9 (Selected Scriptures)
The Baptism of the Holy Spirit and the Believer #10 (Selected Scriptures)
The Believer and His Witness #11 (Selected Scriptures)
The Believer and Worship #12 (Selected Scriptures)

Here is a sermon on the Biblical qualifications for someone who is called to be a bishop:

3/17/2013 - The True Qualifications for a Bishop (1 Timothy 3:1-2b)

The first comment to the materialism article is spot on:
I'm slightly underwhelmed by the reasoning offered in the article. I feel it lacks substance. Basically the whole reasoning seems to be:

1. Everything is material
2. That would be boring
3. So, not everything is material

and

1. Everything is material
2. I don't feel like this is true.
3. So, not everything is material.

What exactly is this non-material stuff that makes for a better explanation of world, morality and consciousness? What exactly is non-matter anyway? How do you make the distinction which natural phenomena are material and which are non-material? Exactly why does materialism go against common sense and why should we even care? It makes perfect sense to me that things that exist have to be defined as "material."

The reasoning that we are "too smart" to be products of evolution seems to lack grounding too. By all accounts, life on the savanna was probably harder then our modern life. Why would our predecessors be dumber in any meaningful way, or lack the capability of "modern" reasoning? Sure, they lacked universities and writing, so obviously they worked with more limited information, but education != intelligence.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
The first comment to the materialism article is spot on:

There is more to it than that I think. One of the weaknesses of a hard reductive materialism is that it loses explanatory value the further up from the bottom you get. In particular, attempts to explain the mind or consciousness, or even mere phenomenology too often devolve into hand-waving or the weak argument that "in principle" things can be explained reductively - which isn't at all obviously true. (David Chalmers is particularly good, if not particularly accessible, on this stuff).

That's not necessarily to say that there are insurmountable gaps in the scientific explanation, but gaps there certainly are - and no amount of handwaving makes them go away. Not yet anyhow.

But it's not necessarily to say either that this provides a rationale for believing in non-material things or in religion in general or in any particular religion.

Seems to me that at the present state of knowledge this is a neutral argument that has no business being used as either a pro- or an anti- religious thing.

Question:

Genesis 22:2

Then God said, "Take your son, your only son, whom you love--Isaac--and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on a mountain I will show you."
(international version 2011)

Wasn't Ishmael the first born of Abraham so wouldnt that apply to him and thus

wouldnt

And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son, whom thou lovest, even Isaac, and get thee into the land of Moriah. And offer him there for a burnt-offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of.
(American Standard Bible)

be more accurate?

Question:

Genesis 22:2

Then God said, "Take your son, your only son, whom you love--Isaac--and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on a mountain I will show you."
(international version 2011)

Wasn't Ishmael the first born of Abraham so wouldnt that apply to him and thus

wouldnt

And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son, whom thou lovest, even Isaac, and get thee into the land of Moriah. And offer him there for a burnt-offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of.
(American Standard Bible)

be more accurate?

Ishmael wasnt his first legitamate son. Just as Jesus is referred as the first begotton son, isaac is too. Same with Jacob. It refers to the preeminance, not the literal order of birth.

Out of curiosity, what would happen if the devil himself repented and accepted Jesus into his heart? Or is that an impossibility according to the Biblical text?

Ishmael wasnt his first legitamate son. Just as Jesus is referred as the first begotton son, isaac is too. Same with Jacob. It refers to the preeminance, not the literal order of birth.

But God nowhere calls Ishmael illegitimate he calls him Abraham's son in the same vein.

(Gen. 16:16; 17:23,25)

and The Bible says: "And as for Ishmael, I have heard thee: Behold, I have blessed him, and will make him fruitful, and will multiply him exceedingly; twelve princes shall he beget, and I will make him a great nation" (Gen. 17:20).

doesnt look like God saw Ishmael as 'illegitimate' if you think about it and see how God saw Ishmael.

If God saw him as his son, then he was infact treated as Abrahams true son like Isaac which brings me to first question again

But God nowhere calls Ishmael illegitimate he calls him Abraham's son in the same vein.

and The Bible says: "And as for Ishmael, I have heard thee: Behold, I have blessed him, and will make him fruitful, and will multiply him exceedingly; twelve princes shall he beget, and I will make him a great nation" (Gen. 17:20).

doesnt look like God saw Ishmael as 'illegitimate' if you think about it

But in the context of the promise, in the context of marriage, Abraham was married to Sara and therefore the true son was Isaac. I also assume that the Hebrew word used in the referenced passages doesnt refer to order of birth. In greek there is a word for first begotten (prototokotos) and literal created (prototokitis sp?).

doesnt look like God saw Ishmael as 'illegitimate' if you think about it and see how God saw Ishmael.

If God saw him as his son, then he was infact treated as Abrahams true son like Isaac which brings me to first question again

As I thought. For the word used here to signifiy ONLY this is what a Hebrew lexicon says

(3) f. יְחִידָה only one, hence that which is most dear, that which cannot be replaced, poet. for life, Ps. 22:21; 35:17; [does not this pervert both the passages?] comp. כָּבוֹד.

BDB says

Zc 12:10, Pr 4:3 רַךְ וְיָחִיד לפני אמי; so fem. יְחִידָה Ju 11:34. 2. fem. יְחִידָה as subst. ψ 22:21; 35:17 יְחִידָתִי my only one, poet. for my life, as the one unique and priceless possession which can never be replaced.

Isaac was the only child between Abraham and his wife Sara. The relationship which existed well before Hagar. Sara was the woman he loved while Hagar was a servant he had a child with before the promise of Isaac came to pass.

But in the context of the promise, in the context of marriage, Abraham was married to Sara and therefore the true son was Isaac. I also assume that the Hebrew word used in the referenced passages doesnt refer to order of birth. In greek there is a word for first begotten (prototokotos) and literal created (prototokitis sp?).

That is confusing. If God Calls Ishmael as Abraham's "Son" why would the meaning be adjusted to cater to Isaac as being the "only son". If God calls Ishmael a son of Abraham as well (with respect not illegitimacy) why would "only son" be used for Isaac when God clearly says Abraham had 2 sons. It seems contradictory. and why would "dearest" be Isaac and not Both.

That is confusing. If God Calls Ishmael as Abraham's "Son" why would the meaning be adjusted to cater to Isaac as being the "only son". If God calls Ishmael a son of Abraham as well (with respect not illegitimacy) why would "only son" be used for Isaac when God clearly says Abraham had 2 sons. It seems contradictory

Try to realize that its vital to take into consideration of the cultural particulars when reading the Bible. Certain English words dont really convey the deeper meaning of theie Hebrew/Greek words. This is what I was referring to with Jesus being called first begotton. In the literal english meaning its literally the first born (physical birth) son while in Greek it means much more. Same with this particular verse and the phrase 'only-son'

Try to realize that its vital to take into consideration of the cultural particulars when reading the Bible. Certain English words dont really convey the deeper meaning of theie Hebrew/Greek words. This is what I was referring to with Jesus being called first begotton. In the literal english meaning its literally the first born (physical birth) son while in Greek it means much more. Same with this particular verse and the phrase 'only-son'

concerning

(3) f. יְחִידָה only one, hence that which is most dear, that which cannot be replaced, poet. for life, Ps. 22:21; 35:17; [does not this pervert both the passages?] comp. כָּבוֹד.

is this quote the one you are using for this meaning?

so according to Christianity, the "only son" means "legitimate son"? legitimate according to God or Man?

Question: As Christians, where do you all stand in regards to the following:

1. Can a gay person who is in a monogamous relationship be in 'good standing' as a Christian?
2. Should the Church (Christian community) accept gay marriage since allowing gays to marry will unite them just as heterosexuals are united in marriage?
3. How do you feel about heterosexual Christians who do not interpret verses regarding homosexuality to 1) not apply to gays in a monogamous relationship; 2) to be understood in the context SPECIFICALLY for the community the author was writing too (Israel/ 1st century Greco-Roman Christians)?

1. Someone who says they are a christian and is gay cannot be not a christian because you are to repent from your sins and try not to sin(the repentance). Being a christian is to believe that Jesus is lord, died for your sins, rose from the dead and to repent from your sins. If you are gay and say you are a christian it is contradictory since you should be trying not to sin. Instead your whole life style is purposefully being an active sinner.
2. No, because God does not accept homosexuality so neither should the church which is supposed to represent Christ. If the church does not accurately represent Jesus then the church has failed or is failing.
3. They simply do not know what they are talking about.

1. Someone who says they are a christian and is gay cannot be not a christian because you are to repent from your sins and try not to sin(the repentance). Being a christian is to believe that Jesus is lord, died for your sins, rose from the dead and to repent from your sins. If you are gay and say you are a christian it is contradictory since you should be trying not to sin. Instead your whole life style is purposefully being an active sinner.

What if they are attracted to people of the same sex but do not act on those feelings?

concerning

is this quote the one you are using for this meaning?

so according to Christianity, the "only son" means "legitimate son"? legitimate according to God or Man?

That quote is in reference to the Hebrew word for only one. Words have multiple meanings obviously and the meaning of a word many times is dependent upon the passage and context of said passage. In the context of Jesus first begotten doesn't mean literally the first born, same with Isaac, Jacob, David. Firstborn means firstborn while first begotton signifies a specific relationship and title that is specific to those that were given that title. Sorry, I am on my phone so I probably am not doing a great job of explaining what I mean.

Wynnebeck

Banned
How are you guys feeling about Bioshock: Infinite? After hearing about how a member of Ken Levine's team almost quit over a choice in the game dealing with religion and how the team member was offended by it, I was cautious about playing the game. After playing it for about 2 hours, I've noticed some similarities but haven't noticed anything particularly blasphemous. Any thoughts?

Because continuing on

Genesis 17:24-27: "And Abraham was ninety years old and nine when he was circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin. And Ishmael his son was thirteen years old, when he was circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin. In the selfsame day was Abraham circumcised, and Ishmael his son. And all the men of his house, born in the house, and bought with money of the stranger, were circumcised with him."

I find it odd and contradictory that God calls Ishmael Abraham's son and but suddenly when the time of Sacrifice comes "only son" means "legitimate son" as if Ishmael is not really Abraham's true son. We all know Bible never tells a story chronologically.

I mean how can a Prophet of God have a "illegitimate" son. Think about it. If it is OK for the Prophet of God to have it. then everyone can have it. correct?

and furthermore. how can Ishmael be legitimate if God says himself that Hagar was then Abraham's wife given by Sarah

3 So after Abram had been living in Canaan ten years, Sarai his wife took her Egyptian slave Hagar and gave her to her husband to be his wife. (Genesis 16:3)

16:3 proves that Ishmael was the legitimate FIRST son of Abraham and before Isaac was born Ishmael was Abraham's "ONLY son"

according to 16:11, God himself named Abraham's son as Ishmael. Ishmael means "God Hears". Where in the Bible is it written that Ishmael was "illegitimate"

the Hebrew word as you mentioned ‘yachiyd’ means "‘only, one, solitary, unique and only begotten son'"

As The Bible mentions and as I have proved above that God says multiple times Abraham had 2 sons. First being Ishmael and then Isaac 13-14 years later, who would God call "yachiyd"?

The question I have. As Bible was narrated not by Prophets but written as a historical account by Men, was the Bible meaning "translation" altered by Men themselves to bring a historical, cultural and religious relevance to Christianity as a superior sacrificial religion over all others on the basis of this important story?

Onikaan

How are you guys feeling about Bioshock: Infinite? After hearing about how a member of Ken Levine's team almost quit over a choice in the game dealing with religion and how the team member was offended by it, I was cautious about playing the game. After playing it for about 2 hours, I've noticed some similarities but haven't noticed anything particularly blasphemous. Any thoughts?

Interesting, I'd like to know what the fuss was about. Do you know? or have a link?

***No Spoilers here, but I am discussing the game***

There are parts in the first 20 minutes that are pretty heavy on the religious side of things. Like Amirox said in the Infinite thread, they've borrowed alot of ideas from Mormonism. I'm probably about half way through and I haven't had to make any decisions as Booker that have put me off from a moral standpoint.

The story isn't ramming any Anti-theist ideas down my throat, so I don't have a problem with it. My initial intuition was that Columbia was wrapped in a religious cult, and that's really all it is. Comstock is their self-appointed God.

Games not done yet though.

The question I have. As Bible was narrated not by Prophets but written as a historical account by Men, was the Bible meaning "translation" altered by Men themselves to bring a historical, cultural and religious relevance to Christianity as a superior sacrificial religion over all others on the basis of this important story?

I've read this a few times, and I really have no idea what you're asking.

Wynnebeck said:
Ken Levine's team almost quit over a choice in the game dealing with religion and how the team member was offended by it

I'm really curious to see Levine's take on American Exceptionalism as it pertains to Protestant Christianity and technological progress. Will try to get back to you this evening.

I've read this a few times, and I really have no idea what you're asking.

I'm really curious to see Levine's take on American Exceptionalism as it pertains to Protestant Christianity and technological progress. Will try to get back to you this evening.

Meaning was the Bible Corrupted by Men's translation to enhance this sacrificial event for Christianity by switching the sons names and calling the first son illegitimate the authenticate the switch

Because continuing on

Genesis 17:24-27: "And Abraham was ninety years old and nine when he was circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin. And Ishmael his son was thirteen years old, when he was circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin. In the selfsame day was Abraham circumcised, and Ishmael his son. And all the men of his house, born in the house, and bought with money of the stranger, were circumcised with him."

I find it odd and contradictory that God calls Ishmael Abraham's son and but suddenly when the time of Sacrifice comes "only son" means "legitimate son" as if Ishmael is not really Abraham's true son. We all know Bible never tells a story chronologically.

I mean how can a Prophet of God have a "illegitimate" son. Think about it. If it is OK for the Prophet of God to have it. then everyone can have it. correct?

and furthermore. how can Ishmael be legitimate if God says himself that Hagar was then Abraham's wife given by Sarah

3 So after Abram had been living in Canaan ten years, Sarai his wife took her Egyptian slave Hagar and gave her to her husband to be his wife. (Genesis 16:3)

16:3 proves that Ishmael was the legitimate FIRST son of Abraham and before Isaac was born Ishmael was Abraham's "ONLY son"

according to 16:11, God himself named Abraham's son as Ishmael. Ishmael means "God Hears". Where in the Bible is it written that Ishmael was "illegitimate"

the Hebrew word as you mentioned ‘yachiyd’ means "‘only, one, solitary, unique and only begotten son'"

As The Bible mentions and as I have proved above that God says multiple times Abraham had 2 sons. First being Ishmael and then Isaac 13-14 years later, who would God call "yachiyd"?

Abraham did have two sons BUT only one was the son of promise (God's promise to Abram and Sara). Look at Jacob. He was born after Esau but he was the son of promise. Joseph wasn't the firstborn of his father but was the son through which the promise went through. David wasn't the firstborn of his father but is the son through which the promise went through.

From the Christian persoective, the Bible begins and ends with Jesus in some way. Adam was the one that caused humanity to fall and Jesis is the one that rescued humanity. The promise would come through Adam. It went to Abram, then to Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, etc.

Ishmael was a result of Abram having sex outside of marriage with Sara and since the promise from God was to both Abram and Sara, it had to be THEIR son that would carry the promise, fulfilling the promise from God. Ishmael didnt fit the bill.

Meaning was the Bible Corrupted by Men's translation to enhance this sacrificial event for Christianity by switching the sons names and calling the first son illegitimate the authenticate the switch
No. Isaac was the son of promise way before Christianity was even a forthought. Judaism is built on the very idea of Isaac being the only true son of Abram. Thousands of years before Muhammad and Jesus were even born, Jews were praising God for Isaac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom