• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christianity |OT| The official thread of hope, faith and infinite love.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaplain

News of the day:

Blasphemy death sentence for Christian road sweeper in Pakistan

A Christian road sweeper in Pakistan has been sentenced to death for blasphemy.

Sawan Masih was also fined 200,000 rupees (around £1,200) by judges at a private hearing today, reports Release International.

The father of three, from Joseph Colony in the Badami Bagh area of Lahore, was accused of blasphemy after a row with a Muslim friend over property in March last year.

link

Chaplain

An amazing article by journalist Matthew Parris (atheist) who believes Africa needs God (Christ, not any other god).

As an atheist, I truly believe Africa needs God
Times of London

Before Christmas I returned, after 45 years, to the country that as a boy I knew as Nyasaland. Today it’s Malawi, and The Times Christmas Appeal includes a small British charity working there. Pump Aid helps rural communities to install a simple pump, letting people keep their village wells sealed and clean. I went to see this work.

It inspired me, renewing my flagging faith in development charities. But travelling in Malawi refreshed another belief, too: one I’ve been trying to banish all my life, but an observation I’ve been unable to avoid since my African childhood. It confounds my ideological beliefs, stubbornly refuses to fit my world view, and has embarrassed my growing belief that there is no God.

Now a confirmed atheist, I’ve become convinced of the enormous contribution that Christian evangelism makes in Africa: sharply distinct from the work of secular NGOs, government projects and international aid efforts. These alone will not do. Education and training alone will not do. In Africa Christianity changes people’s hearts. It brings a spiritual transformation. The rebirth is real. The change is good.

I used to avoid this truth by applauding – as you can – the practical work of mission churches in Africa. It’s a pity, I would say, that salvation is part of the package, but Christians black and white, working in Africa, do heal the sick, do teach people to read and write; and only the severest kind of secularist could see a mission hospital or school and say the world would be better without it. I would allow that if faith was needed to motivate missionaries to help, then, fine: but what counted was the help, not the faith.

But this doesn’t fit the facts. Faith does more than support the missionary; it is also transferred to his flock. This is the effect that matters so immensely, and which I cannot help observing.

First, then, the observation. We had friends who were missionaries, and as a child I stayed often with them; I also stayed, alone with my little brother, in a traditional rural African village. In the city we had working for us Africans who had converted and were strong believers. The Christians were always different. Far from having cowed or confined its converts, their faith appeared to have liberated and relaxed them. There was a liveliness, a curiosity, an engagement with the world – a directness in their dealings with others – that seemed to be missing in traditional African life. They stood tall.

At 24, travelling by land across the continent reinforced this impression. From Algiers to Niger, Nigeria, Cameroon and the Central African Republic, then right through the Congo to Rwanda, Tanzania and Kenya, four student friends and I drove our old Land Rover to Nairobi.

We slept under the stars, so it was important as we reached the more populated and lawless parts of the sub-Sahara that every day we find somewhere safe by nightfall. Often near a mission.

Whenever we entered a territory worked by missionaries, we had to acknowledge that something changed in the faces of the people we passed and spoke to: something in their eyes, the way they approached you direct, man-to-man, without looking down or away. They had not become more deferential towards strangers – in some ways less so – but more open.

This time in Malawi it was the same. I met no missionaries. You do not encounter missionaries in the lobbies of expensive hotels discussing development strategy documents, as you do with the big NGOs. But instead I noticed that a handful of the most impressive African members of the Pump Aid team (largely from Zimbabwe) were, privately, strong Christians. “Privately” because the charity is entirely secular and I never heard any of its team so much as mention religion while working in the villages. But I picked up the Christian references in our conversations. One, I saw, was studying a devotional textbook in the car. One, on Sunday, went off to church at dawn for a two-hour service.

It would suit me to believe that their honesty, diligence and optimism in their work was unconnected with personal faith. Their work was secular, but surely affected by what they were. What they were was, in turn, influenced by a conception of man’s place in the Universe that Christianity had taught.

There’s long been a fashion among Western academic sociologists for placing tribal value systems within a ring fence, beyond critiques founded in our own culture: “theirs” and therefore best for “them”; authentic and of intrinsically equal worth to ours.

I don’t follow this. I observe that tribal belief is no more peaceable than ours; and that it suppresses individuality. People think collectively; first in terms of the community, extended family and tribe. This rural-traditional mindset feeds into the “big man” and gangster politics of the African city: the exaggerated respect for a swaggering leader, and the (literal) inability to understand the whole idea of loyal opposition.

Anxiety – fear of evil spirits, of ancestors, of nature and the wild, of a tribal hierarchy, of quite everyday things – strikes deep into the whole structure of rural African thought. Every man has his place and, call it fear or respect, a great weight grinds down the individual spirit, stunting curiosity. People won’t take the initiative, won’t take things into their own hands or on their own shoulders.

How can I, as someone with a foot in both camps, explain? When the philosophical tourist moves from one world view to another he finds – at the very moment of passing into the new – that he loses the language to describe the landscape to the old. But let me try an example: the answer given by Sir Edmund Hillary to the question: Why climb the mountain? “Because it’s there,” he said.

To the rural African mind, this is an explanation of why one would not climb the mountain. It’s… well, there. Just there. Why interfere? Nothing to be done about it, or with it. Hillary’s further explanation – that nobody else had climbed it – would stand as a second reason for passivity.

Christianity, post-Reformation and post-Luther, with its teaching of a direct, personal, two-way link between the individual and God, unmediated by the collective, and unsubordinate to any other human being, smashes straight through the philosphical/spiritual framework I’ve just described. It offers something to hold on to to those anxious to cast off a crushing tribal groupthink. That is why and how it liberates.

Those who want Africa to walk tall amid 21st-century global competition must not kid themselves that providing the material means or even the knowhow that accompanies what we call development will make the change. A whole belief system must first be supplanted.

And I’m afraid it has to be supplanted by another. Removing Christian evangelism from the African equation may leave the continent at the mercy of a malign fusion of Nike, the witch doctor, the mobile phone and the machete.

Chaplain

Good summary of how far off the Noah film was from the Biblical character.

1503828_10152363787660850_508994580_n.jpg

An amazing article by journalist Matthew Parris (atheist) who believes Africa needs God (Christ, not any other god).

That's a utilitarian acceptance, I guess. Still, one can't help to notice that he applauds the transformative power of Christ being displayed while denying it at the same time (he still clings to atheism, after all). Oh well, perhaps this is merely an inroad being made for him, and more work is still to be done.

Chaplain

Jay-Z believes he is like God and other strange comments.

Jay-Z Embraces Five-Percent Nation, Addresses Illuminati and Questions Other Religions

Rumors and imagery in some of his music videos have tied Jay-Z to the occult and Satan worship in the past few years. The rapper addresses some of these issues on a song on his new album titled 'Heaven' while also speaking about some of the Five Percent doctrine.

"Arm leg leg arm head this is God Body," raps Jay in the opening lines of the track. This statement touches on the Five-Percent Nation's acronym for Allah who is not the traditional monotheistic God that is followed by orthodox Muslims. Instead, the Nation believes that the Asiatic Blackman is God.

Jay-Z also speaks about his view of organized religion.

"Question religion question it all, question existence until them questions are solved," he says. "I'm secular tell the hecklers settle down your religion creates division like my Maybach partition."

Jay-Z goes on to illustrate how he is like a God to the entertainment world and his fans are his congregation. "I confess, God in the flesh, live among the serpents turn arenas into churches.

link

Cant start threads, had nowhere else to post this. Im not a religious person by any means, but the murder of this priest is immensely sad. His heroism and courage should serve as a testament to the power of human empathy and egalitarianism. (And the execution of such a decent, virtuous man should serve as a testament to the demented, extraordinary cowardice of his killer)

NY Times said:
The Rev. Frans van der Lugt, a Dutch Jesuit priest who became a symbol of suffering and compassion in the war-ravaged Old City district of Homs, Syria, was shot to death Monday morning by a lone gunman, according to members of his order. the killing of Father Frans struck a chord, because he chose voluntarily to share the plight of the people who stayed in the Old City. People who have left the besieged neighborhood say that most of those still there are fighters, but some are civilians who refuse to leave their homes, doubtful of government promises of safety and unwilling to give up all they have.

“It was his choice to stay there,” a Syrian Jesuit priest who has worked with refugees and is still in the country said in a telephone interview, sounding dejected and asking not to be identified to protect his safety.

Father Frans spoke movingly of the suffering in the Old City in a video plea for aid that was posted online in January. “There is nothing harder than seeing parents in the street looking for food for their children,” he said in the video, which gained wide attention. “We do not want to die,” he said.

Father Frans was fluent in Arabic and was trained in psychotherapy. He founded the Al Ard Center outside Homs, which cared for disabled people and fostered dialogue among people of different religions. The center took in displaced people well into the civil war, though the staff eventually left because, they said, they could not assure the safety of their guests.

Father Frans explained his decision to remain in the Old City in an interview published in February on ReliefWeb, a website focusing on humanitarian organizations.

“I don’t see Muslims or Christians, I see, above all, human beings,” he said, who “hunger to lead a normal life.” As the only priest left in the Old City to help the people there with their suffering, he said, “how can I leave? This is impossible.”

legend166

Happy Good Friday everyone (at least here in Australia):

"He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds you have been healed."

Chaplain

Two new University lectures on Jesus' death and resurrection:

Yale University lecture on "Did Jesus Rise From the Dead?" (4/10/14)

Dr William Lane Craig spoke on the "Objective Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus" at Yale University. Dr. Craig is one of the leading theologians and defenders of Jesus' resurrection, demonstrating the veracity of his divinity. This is the biggest claim in history!

Did Jesus Really Rise from the Dead? (4/10/14)

RZIM' Dr. Nabeel Qureshi visits Emory University to answer the question, "Did Jesus really rise from the dead?" Join us for this live open forum from Glenn Memorial Sanctuary at Emory.

Happy Good Friday, everyone.

TY bro. Same to you and all of our brothers and sisters on GAF (lurkers as well). ^_^

Wynnebeck

Banned
Any fellow Christians have any advice for dating someone who is possibly trying to convert to Muslim? I know it says "to not be unequally yoked with non-believers", but it's a sticky situation.

Chaplain

Any fellow Christians have any advice for dating someone who is possibly trying to convert to Muslim? I know it says "to not be unequally yoked with non-believers", but it's a sticky situation.

Ask yourself, "are you willing to suffer (bringing in extra pain and problems in to your life) for something God never wanted you to have to experience?"

legend166

I know it must be incredibly hard - but Scripture is very clear on this point. You really need to pray about it and take what Scripture says seriously. At the end of the year I'm going to be marrying a Christian girl who has a different view of soteriology to me (she's Arminian and I'm Calvinist), and that itself was quite a difficult hurdle to get over. But at the end of the day we both trust in Christ for our salvation and try to live according to His word.

But there's no common ground between Christianity and Islam from a spriritual perspective. People will try and tell you "we all worship the same God anyway", but anyone with even basic knowledge of The Bible and the Quran knows that's false.

You really need to think about what you believe and how strongly you believe it. You know what the Bible says on the matter.

Sorry if this sounds a bit serious as if you were getting married or something, but I've seen this happen with Christians before. It's better to stop it before it has the chance to grow into something bigger. Barring a work of God to save the person (which is of course possible, but you should never make a decision like this based on that assumption), there's really only three ways this can turn out - you date until the time you realise it's never going to work, and by then you already have a very strong attachment and it all ends in tears, you continue on and experience the hardship and trouble that comes with yoking with an unbeliver, or you're dragged down and let go of your faith.

Anyway, on another point, here's a good article on the dangers of the whole 'Heaven Tourism' movement (i.e. all these books and movies about people who supposedly went to heaven and came back): http://www.gty.org/Blog/B140428

Given the rising tides of militant atheism, postmodern skepti­cism, biblical illiteracy, self-love, and gross immorality, what are we to make of the current interest in heaven?

One thing is clear: It does not signal any significant upsurge of interest in what biblical revela­tion teaches about heaven. On the contrary, the data actually seem to indicate that lots of people are simply making up whatever concept of heaven pleases them. The ideas about heaven that get the most press are mostly figments of the human imagination that bear little (if any) resemblance to that glorious realm of Christ’s kingdom as it is described in God’s Word.

We would of course expect New Age practitioners, cranks, and cultists to abandon the Bible in favor of their own dreams and fanta­sies. But this trend of inventing one’s own personal concept of heaven seems to be an even bigger problem in the evangelical community than it is in the world at large. Evidence of this can be seen in several recent evangelical mega–best sellers.

One of the most talked-about books of 2011 was Heaven Is for Real, by Todd Burpo with Lynn Vincent. The book recounts four-year-old Colton Burpo’s vision of heaven (as told by his father to Ms. Vincent). Colton claims he visited heaven during surgery after a burst appendix nearly took his life. His stories of heaven are full of fanciful features and peculiar details that bear all the earmarks of a child’s vivid imagi­nation. There’s nothing transcendent or even particularly enlightening about Colton’s description of heaven. In fact, it is completely devoid of the breathtaking glory featured in every biblical description of the heavenly realm. That doesn’t deter Todd Burpo from singling out se­lective phrases and proof texts from Scripture, citing them as if they authenticated his son’s account.

It may be quite fascinating to read these intricately detailed ac­counts of people who claim to have come back from heaven, but that hobby is as dangerous as it is seductive. Readers not only get a twisted, unbiblical picture of heaven from these tall tales; they also imbibe a subjective, superstitious, shallow brand of spirituality. There is no rea­son to believe anyone who claims to have gone to heaven and returned (John 3:13; 1:18). Studying mystical accounts of supposed journeys into the afterlife yields nothing but confusion, contradiction, false hope, bad doctrine, and a host of similar evils.

Nevertheless, the current popularity of such books shows how hungry people are to hear about heaven. There is nothing inherently wrong with that, of course. In fact, it is a desire that can be harnessed for good, as long as we look to Scripture and let God’s Word inform our knowledge and shape our hopes.

Indeed, it is right and beneficial for Christians to fix their hearts on heaven. Scripture repeatedly urges us to cultivate that perspective: “If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth” (Colossians 3:1–2 ESV). “We look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are un­seen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal” (2 Corinthians 4:18 ESV). “Our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ” (Philippians 3:20 ESV).

Such a perspective is the very essence of true faith, according to Hebrews 11. Those with authentic, biblical faith acknowledge that they are strangers and pilgrims on this earth (v. 13). They are seeking a heavenly homeland (v. 14). They “desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared for them a city” (v. 16 ESV). The “city” that verse refers to is the heavenly Jerusalem, an unimaginable place—the very capital of heaven. It will be the eternal abode of the redeemed. No wonder Christians are intrigued with the subject.

You simply cannot gain a better understanding of heaven than we are given in Scripture—especially not from some­one else’s dreams and near-death experiences. In the words of Charles Spurgeon:

It’s a little heaven below, to imagine sweet things. But never think that imagination can picture heaven. When it is most sublime, when it is freest from the dust of earth, when it is carried up by the greatest knowledge, and kept steady by the most extreme caution, imagina­tion cannot picture heaven. “It hath not entered the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.” Imagination is good, but not to picture to us heaven. Your imaginary heaven you will find by-and-by to be all a mistake; though you may have piled up fine castles, you will find them to be castles in the air, and they will vanish like thin clouds before the gale. For imagination cannot make a heaven. “Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither hath it entered the heart of man to conceive” it. [1]

What God has revealed in Scripture is the only legitimate place to get a clear understanding of the heavenly kingdom. This is a point we will come back to repeatedly: The Bible is our only reliable source of information about heaven. I want to show you why it is misleading and dangerous to probe and dissect people’s near-death experiences, as if they could give us some important truth about the afterlife that we are lacking from Scripture. We’ll do that next time.

Chaplain

Sorry if this sounds a bit serious as if you were getting married or something, but I've seen this happen with Christians before. It's better to stop it before it has the chance to grow into something bigger. Barring a work of God to save the person (which is of course possible, but you should never make a decision like this based on that assumption), there's really only three ways this can turn out - you date until the time you realise it's never going to work, and by then you already have a very strong attachment and it all ends in tears, you continue on and experience the hardship and trouble that comes with yoking with an unbeliver, or you're dragged down and let go of your faith.

Well said bro. ^_~

Khronico

Reformed Baptist
here, Been a GAF member for a while but I didn't find out till today that this thread existed! Really refreshing to see this on NeoGAF of all places.

Chaplain

New blog is up:

Matthew 14:22-27 - Jesus walks on the water and comforts His disciples: Why did Jesus tells His disciples to get in a boat?, Jesus shows us a solution to tiredness, The disciples run into a fierce storm on the Sea of Galilee, Jesus walks on water during the middle of the storm, & Why does Jesus tell the disciples to chill and to not be afraid of the situation? (Part 3)

Reformed Baptist
here, Been a GAF member for a while but I didn't find out till today that this thread existed! Really refreshing to see this on NeoGAF of all places.

Welcome bro.

Ever since this thread was moved to the off-topic community section, not as many people post or view the thread anymore. Regardless, glad you found it. ^_^

Ever since this thread was moved to the off-topic community section, not as many people post or view the thread anymore.
It's not a great thread for discussion. Argumentative atheists are not welcome and I'm guessing a lot of you believers don't see eye to eye about the details since you belong to vastly different denominations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom