• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christianity |OT| The official thread of hope, faith and infinite love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's best to start out with the New Testament. If you start with the Old Testament you might quit because you don't see yet...Once you finish the New Testament, try to see if you can find Jesus in the Old Testament.

Also, a tip...if you read the Bible and your heart is not in it, you'll get nothing from it. It's a spiritual book that requires multiple readings to understand. The understanding comes from the Holy Spirit, once you've excepted Jesus.
Here is a parable for you: (try to find out what this means by understanding with your heart) :)

I haven't been to Bible study in years, but the message is that faith grows in due time and in places that encourage it, if I'm reading correctly.

Chaplain

New blog is up:

Matthew 5:31-37 How was divorce interpreted during the time of Jesus?, Jesus says that committing sexual immorality is the definition God intended for adultery, Jesus says adultery takes place when person who committed sexual immorality remarries, The views of the Pharisees and scribes concerning oaths, & Jesus warns us to speak the truth and not embellish our conversation with oaths that are supposed to strengthen our word (Part 9)

I haven't been to Bible study in years, but the message is that faith grows in due time and in places that encourage it, if I'm reading correctly.

"This parable has two applications. Primarily, it speaks of how we hear the Word (like you said about Faith). Secondarily, it gives understanding about how we share the Word." Jesus, a few verses later, explains the parable in verses 18-23 in great detail.

Here is a good commentary on the entire chapter if you are interested. ^_^

Thank you for the advice. I'm beginning a couple hours of reading tonight, beginning in the King James Bible in the New Testament.

Question for the thread, where do you align as far as denomination? I was raised Roman Catholic, but during college found out my moderate politics align more with evangelical/episcopalian denomination. I have not decided whether or not I'd like to join another denomination, but I'd like the advice of the thread, seeing how devout some posters are on NeoGAF.

Kansoku

Thank you for the advice. I'm beginning a couple hours of reading tonight, beginning in the King James Bible in the New Testament.

Question for the thread, where do you align as far as denomination? I was raised Roman Catholic, but during college found out my moderate politics align more with evangelical/episcopalian denomination. I have not decided whether or not I'd like to join another denomination, but I'd like the advice of the thread, seeing how devout some posters are on NeoGAF.

The closest to me is evangelical, but I don't agree to some of their stuff.

Chaplain

My wife and I are non-denominational. We go to a church that sticks to the Word of God and lives it out. Many churches around the world tend to take a doctrine and build a movement around it. I would rather stick to the teachings of Christ and what God's Word says above any man or movement.

Also, right now much of the church is apostate. Even churches that I know that were 100% Biblical have now started to drift from what God's Word teaches. These type of churches are now mixing new age beliefs with scripture (like new age contemplative prayer, a person can be a buddhist and christian at the same time, etc.), denying that Jesus died for all humanity, God doesn't know the future, Hell doesn't exist, following what the culture is doing instead of allowing the church to change culture, and that God's Word isn't enough. Other things apostate churches do are "Experience over Reason, Spirituality over Doctrine and Absolutes, Images over Words, & Feelings over Truth." Much of the church has basically incorporated postmodernism and is redefining the core of what the Bible has always declared (rejecting propositional truths, dogmas, and certainty).

This is why it is extremely important to study the Bible, know it and put it into practice. So when you go to looking for churches you can see if what the church is preaching/teaching aligns up with God's Word or not. Seek wisdom and guidance from the Holy Spirit on where he wants you to be. Just remember that God will never tell you something that contradicts His Word.

Emwitus

Grew up roman catholic and ironically moved away from it since I felt it diverted from the bible. Became Protestant, then non denominational then now seventh day Adventist. My convictions on the bible drive where I go hence where I am at. I might move again since there emphasis on the sabbath and Ellen white can get a bit much but other than that I love it.

I go to a Baptist church but I don't call myself any denomination. The bible doesn't talk about denominations.
One thing I've noticed though is that a lot of people raised Catholic turn out to be atheist. I have a few friends that have told me they became atheist or agnostic being raised that way. I don't agree with a lot of things in the Catholic church but I'm sure there are people truly seeking God.
I say read at least the whole New Testament first before you make your move. So that way no one can tell you something that isn't true. There are a lot of things different denominations have added or taken away from the scriptures. Even having their own book. It makes for one distorted looking body of Christ and keeps us divided. Satan is just delaying the inevitable. God's will will be done and we will all come together with one mind like Paul says.

I go to a Baptist church but I don't call myself any denomination. The bible doesn't talk about denominations.
One thing I've noticed though is that a lot of people raised Catholic turn out to be atheist. I have a few friends that have told me they became atheist or agnostic being raised that way. I don't agree with a lot of things in the Catholic church but I'm sure there are people truly seeking God.
I say read at least the whole New Testament first before you make your move. So that way no one can tell you something that isn't true. There are a lot of things different denominations have added or taken away from the scriptures. Even having their own book. It makes for one distorted looking body of Christ and keeps us divided. Satan is just delaying the inevitable. God's will will be done and we will all come together with one mind like Paul says.

I definitely did not align with the political ideology of Roman Catholicism, but I'm no atheist. I'm very certain that I am a deist when pressed, but the Roman Catholic Church has a habit of shoving ideology not in the Bible into their parishioners, especially in regards to guilt based faith.

That could possibly explain the rise of atheists, or self proclaiming atheists. I have always been a person seeking faith and the Good Book has always been a consistent way to find answer. I was never taught how to fully use it.

Off track, has anyone agreed upon which version of the Book is accepted by all Christians?

I definitely did not align with the political ideology of Roman Catholicism, but I'm no atheist. I'm very certain that I am a deist when pressed, but the Roman Catholic Church has a habit of shoving ideology not in the Bible into their parishioners, especially in regards to guilt based faith.

That could possibly explain the rise of atheists, or self proclaiming atheists. I have always been a person seeking faith and the Good Book has always been a consistent way to find answer. I was never taught how to fully use it.

Off track, has anyone agreed upon which version of the Book is accepted by all Christians?

Good to hear you didn't leave the faith. There are definitely answers in the Bible.
There are divisions on which version of the Bible is the most accepted but I think the King James is still the leader in this department.
I read a KJV study bible that explains the old jargon so it's A LOT easier to understand. Other translations lose a bit of the "power" that comes from the KJV. I think power is not the right word but there is something that I can't name that is lost.
What I would do is read the KJV first and then go on to other versions to compare.
Btw, the Catholic bible seems to have some things that are not in the KJV like the Apocrypha. I read the Apocrypha and felt it added nothing of significance such as righteousness to me. Also the 10 commandments in the Catholic bible are a bit different.
The one about not making images. I feel that was left out so they could build the statues of the saints and that "image" of Jesus they have. Look up Cesar Borgia. I digress. That's a whole nother story.....

Acts 17:29
Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.

legend166

Since people were giving their denominations - no one else is a Reformed Baptist?

Come on guys, we got it the best. Reformed doctrine without any of that heretical baptising of babies!

I'm totally kidding about the heretical part.

Chaplain

"Under threat, Syria's Christians sign accord with Islamists"

For the first time in many generations, a dhimma (protection agreement) was signed between the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIS) – an Islamist branch of Al-Qaida – and leaders of Raqqa’s several thousand Christians. Members of ISIS gave the latter three options: accepting the agreement, converting to Islam, or risking death.

According to the 12 clauses in the accord, the Christians will commit to pay a twice-yearly poll tax of “four gold dinars” – which at today’s rate, comes to about $500 per person – with the exception that members of the middle class will pay half this amount, and the poor will pay a quarter of it, on condition they do not conceal their true financial situation.

The agreement permits the Christians to follow their religious practices, but they are prohibited from building new churches or rebuilding destroyed ones.

Furthermore, the accord states that Christians may not prevent members of their community from embracing Islam if they so desire. They are forbidden from bearing arms, from engaging in commerce involving pork with Muslims, and from acting against Muslim interests – for example, by giving shelter to spies or persons wanted by ISIS. Moreover, if Christians learn of a plot against the Islamic State, they must report it.

In return, the Christians are to be granted protection of life and property, but should they violate the terms presented, this protection is revoked.

link

Chaplain

Kim Jong-un Orders 33 Christians to be Executed

North Korea’s supreme leader Kim Jong-un has reportedly ordered 33 Christians to be executed for contact with a missionary.

The Christians were believed to be working alongside South Korean missionary Kim Jung-wook, who was arrested last year. He and his ministry workers in North Korea have reportedly started 500 or so underground churches, the Washington Times reports.

The Daily Mail reports that Kim Jong-un has charged the 33 with attempting to overthrow the government—the same accusation that lead to the execution of the North Korean leader’s uncle, Jang Song-thaek, and all Mr. Jang’s relatives.

The missionary aides will be put to death in the cell of the State Security Department.

According to the Christian Post, North Korea aired interviews with five of their countrymen at a press conference on Feb. 27 who claimed they met with Jung-wook and accepted money from him and other South Korean agents.

North Korea is known for forcing prisoners to issue statements confessing to crimes, and some have challenged these interviews as an attempt to find out locations of underground churches.

North Korea is widely known for its human rights abuses and zero tolerance for religion. For the 12th consecutive year, World Watch List has ranked it as the number one country for Christian persecution.

cereal_killerxx

OK, so now that I'm getting back to church again I'm looking for some good Christian music to listen to. I like variety (although I probably like rock the most).

Anyways, here's what I'm listening to so far:
DC Talk
Newsboys
Lacrae
Everfound
10th Avenue North
Steven Curtis Chapman
Colton Dixon (super awesome, especially the dubstep remixes)
Anberlin

Kansoku

OK, so now that I'm getting back to church again I'm looking for some good Christian music to listen to. I like variety (although I probably like rock the most).

DC Talk
Newsboys
Lacrae
Everfound
10th Avenue North
Steven Curtis Chapman
Anberlin

I recently found out about King's Kaleidoscope. They have ore of a worship style, but they have some pretty awesome rock-like musics, like Felix Culpa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nmFovPbZBk (Man I wish there were more of this).

Aside from that, I know some hard rock bands, like RED and Emery, that are pretty good. For what I've known, the Thrice vocalist (and lyricist) is Christian and they have some pretty good songs too.

Christon Gray is releasing an Rnb (Christian) album tomorrow 3/25. This guy is super talented. He raps, sings and produces. Here is his testimony.
And here is a song he did that samples a Christian band called The Arrows:
Lovesick
The original song it samples is pretty good too. It's called Make Believe by The Arrows.

I just listened to a song from The Arrows. The real version of the video below is NSFW and brings up the point, is some Christian music sacrificing the gospel for the sake of art?
They are a Christian band.
Here is a live version minus the images. They profess Jesus.
They are super talented but I'm just weirded out a bit their video which has some NSFW images.
edit: The kinetic typography is a lot better for your eyes.
The song is actually really good though.

Here is the Arrows backstage. Man they are awesome.

DC Talk
Newsboys
Lacrae
Everfound
10th Avenue North
Steven Curtis Chapman
Anberlin

Just a sample or three from a couple bands I like

Family Force 5 (Replace Me, Zombie, Cray Button, Superhero (Nico Stadium Remix))
Thousand Foot Krutch (Light Up The Sky, E for Extinction)

A few others I recommend are Flyleaf, Skillet, Kutless, and Project 86.

Speaking of music, I feel like Christian Radio is basically Uplifting radio or Encouraging Radio. It's not Christian. A song about dancing with Cinderella? (Yes I know the background behind that song. It doesn't change my argument.) Or a song about some female with rips in her jeans? I thought we were singing to worship and praise our Lord and Creator? People argue "they're harmless songs that serve to reel people in even if they don't specifically speak of or mention Christ." Do we honestly not see the problem with a Christ-less doctrine? Or are we really going to attempt the old bait and switch? And don't get me started on Plumb or "God's great dance floor" by Chris Tomlin.

I've only ever heard one song by Family Force 5 and it was some weird dance song that had no mention of Jesus in it whatsoever haha

Their songs often aren't overtly Christian, it's true. A few are, even when they're subtle. "Replace Me" (above) isn't subtle. "Zombie" (also above) might be a little, in that non-Christians might not detect the meaning. Generally, it's true that mostly they make what they call "party" songs, some with Christian meaning, some without, but all are clean fun and (for me) generally enjoyable.

Chaplain

"Ken Ham: The Unbiblical ‘Noah’ Is a Fable of a Film" (Time Magazine)

Leading creationist Ken Ham, who recently debated Bill Nye, says that the new blockbuster, starring Russell Crowe, is an insult to Christians: "Ultimately, there is barely a hint of biblical fidelity in this film. It is an unbiblical, pagan film from its start"

Now, if a Christian who is knowledgeable about the true account of Noah knows of someone who has already seen the film, then that believer should certainly take the opportunity to share about the truthfulness of God’s Word — including the forgiveness offered in Jesus Christ, our modern-day Ark of salvation. But, in the end, the movie is so anti-biblical that it will do more harm than good in relation to the Christian faith and the Word of God.

There will be many people who will choose to see this movie. We can’t prevent that, and I am not calling for a boycott. But we have an obligation to send out a warning, and in so doing also to communicate biblical truths and undo the possible damage that might be caused by this sci-fi fantasy — one that is making a mockery of the Word of God and its true account of Noah, the Flood, and the Ark.

While the Bible’s account of the Flood is one of judgment, it is also one about mercy and salvation. Likewise, our future full-size evangelistic Noah’s Ark will honor the Bible as God’s Word and not treat it as a pagan fable.

“Noah” is an insult to Bible-believing Christians, an insult to the character of Noah, and most of all, an insult to the God of the Bible. As a result, I believe Hollywood will have a much harder time in marketing future biblically themed movies to Christians.

link

Chaplain

Another article on the Noah film:

The Rumors Were True: Noah's War on Humans

In Darren Arnofsky's remake of the Genesis story of Noah, "the Creator" doesn't decide to destroy humankind because, as in the original, He is sickened by man's unrighteousness and immorality.
No, like Klaatu, He wants us all dead to -- yes -- save the earth.

You see, after being kicked out of Eden, man became industrial, building evil cities (never depicted except at a distance), strip mining minerals from the earth, exhausting the soil, and generally despoiling the environment into a barren wasteland (except for Methuselah's Mountain, which remains green). The place looks like Mordor: No trees, rare animals, ubiquitous toxic waste -- a radical environmentalist's hysterical fantasy about how we are supposedly "killing the planet" today.

Nor is Noah necessarily spared because he is morally righteous -- although he is the epitome of how Deep Ecology types believe we should live gently on the earth. For example, he solemnly instructs his young son Ham to never pick a wildflower because "we should only gather what we can use, what we need." (I was reminded how, in real life, Switzerland's constitution has declared that individual plants have intrinsic dignity and an opinion by a Swiss bioethics commission that "decapitating" a wildflower is immoral.)

As a son of Seth, Noah is a hunter gatherer. Other men, descendants of the murderer Cain, are depicted as evil for their sadistic and bloodthirsty consumption of meat.

Noah receives a vision of the coming flood and the need to build the ark. Later, when looking for wives for his two younger sons, he has a second vision of humankind being inherently evil, which includes silhouettes of uniformed soldiers from ancient to modern times.

Thus, it develops that Noah might have been chosen to captain the ark not to ensure that humans survive the "cleansing flood" -- but because he will obey the Creator's will that all humans perish so the earth can be restored to a paradise.

link

Chaplain

RZIM will be having a live-stream lecture and open forum at Uppsala University in Sweden today.

link

Night One: Uppsala University Open Forum with Ravi Zacharias and Michael Ramsden (Part 1)

In the first of two nights of live streams, Ravi Zacharias and Michael Ramsden will be speaking on the subject of secularism at the University of Uppsala ( Universitetshuset), in Sweden. There will be a live question and answer session following opening remarks. The event will be broadcast here at 10am PST/ 1pm EDT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom