• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger DS: The |OT|

Amir0x

Banned
WonderfulWinterySmall02.jpg

BAM.

Duck Amuck said:
Do the secret bonus dungeons and defeat the new secret boss to get the new ending.

Right. How do you find the secret bonus dungeons and shit? I've got the other endings before, so I don't want to waste time getting others.

Neo Member
Vyse The Legend said:
Yes, someone please check this. More specifically, check if there is an in-game option to switch the language, because I have a DSi and I would hate to not be able to play it in English. :lol

The JP version did, but I want to make sure the US one does as well.

Every copy comes with the poster in the box! Woo!

I just checked it and, unless I'm doing something wrong(I switched the DS's language settings to Japanese) it doesn't seem like the US release has any Japanese text. There's no menu option in the game that I saw to switch back and forth, either.

MrDaravon

When I went to pick mine up, my Gamestop only got TWO copies, and I was the ONLY preorder. What the fuck!? How did people not pre-order this game?

Zoe

0405 said:
I just checked it and, unless I'm doing something wrong(I switched the DS's language settings to Japanese) it doesn't seem like the US release has any Japanese text. There's no menu option in the game that I saw to switch back and forth, either.

Damn, that sucks :(

mollipen

0405 said:

Damn, guess I'll have to go with the Japanese release then. Thanks for checking.

Neo Member
shidoshi said:
Damn, guess I'll have to go with the Japanese release then. Thanks for checking.

No problem. I wish I'd known beforehand. D:

EDIT: To owners of the Japanese version: Is it possible to switch the language back and forth on one save? That is to say, if I start a game in English and save, can I then restart that same save with the DS language set to Japanese and continue playing in Japanese?

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
This is annoying. I've ordered it, but it's for a friend's Christmas present. I probably won't get to play the game until January or whenever.

Hope it's as good as everyone makes it out to be! I've only ever played it in ROM format and would love to actually own a legitimate copy of this, even in port form.

Amir0x

Banned
If you played it in ROM format, wouldn't you know if it was as good as everyone makes it out to be?

It is one of those rare jRPGs that actually does live up to MOST of the cagey e-geek praise, although I wouldn't rank it quite as high as some of them most likely anymore.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Well the game is good, of course (although at the time I played it the emulators couldn't emulate Square's funky sound effects properly so all the big wee beasties sounded like ducks on kazoos.) I really meant the added features and whatnot, as well as the conversion to DS.

And also, I didn't like it as much as a lot of people did back in the day (I remember a group of IRC buddies I knew years ago finding it hilarious when I said it "wasn't exactly brilliant") however over the years I think I've appreciated it for many different things - from the unique story and time-bending gameplay, to the notion that Akira Toriyama contributed to something that DIDN'T make me go all boss-eyed and queasy when I look at it. So I actually like it more now than when I first played it.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I've got to take a fancy smanchy picture of it but I've still got my SNES copy I bought for $10 at a Flea Market a decade ago.

Red Scarlet

I'm not getting my copy until December. What trickery is this? Imports are supposed to arrive first! So I guess I don't need to buy the US version at all? 5 releases sounds good enough then.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Red Scarlet said:
I'm not getting my copy until December. What trickery is this? Imports are supposed to arrive first! So I guess I don't need to buy the US version at all? 5 releases sounds good enough then.

Mine shipped from Amazon, but due to the holidays, I probably won't get it until Monday, Dec. 1. :(

Tamanon

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
I've got to take a fancy smanchy picture of it but I've still got my SNES copy I bought for $10 at a Flea Market a decade ago.

I can't find my DS, so I just dug my SNES and copy out and have been playing it today, heh.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
0405 said:
No problem. I wish I'd known beforehand. D:

EDIT: To owners of the Japanese version: Is it possible to switch the language back and forth on one save? That is to say, if I start a game in English and save, can I then restart that same save with the DS language set to Japanese and continue playing in Japanese?
There is a setting in the game menu where you can swap between the two at any time, it seems.

Neo Member
RevenantKioku said:
There is a setting in the game menu where you can swap between the two at any time, it seems.

Cool, thanks. I probably should have picked that up from the very post I originally responded to. Ah well, Japanese release ordered, US release gifted.

Didn't know about the extras section, with new music on the main extras screen, and a theater, Music Box where you can listen to the entire soundtrack (as you hear them in the game they are added to this) an art gallery and item encyclopedia. But there are still four other choices that are darkened out with ??? in the middle, so dunno what those are yet.

Maybe I didn't get the memo but I had no idea about this.

edit: I've heard three different songs now that I've never heard before just messing around in the extras section.

coldvein

Banned
brandonh83 said:
Didn't know about the extras section, with new music on the main extras screen, and a theater, Music Box where you can listen to the entire soundtrack (as you hear them in the game they are added to this) an art gallery and item encyclopedia. But there are still four other choices that are darkened out with ??? in the middle, so dunno what those are yet.

edit: I've heard three different songs now that I've never heard before just messing around in the extras section.

Damn, I need this...

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
brandonh83 said:

Yeah, I believe much of this Extras section was included with the PSOne release.

brandonh83 said:

There is a so-called "treasure atlas" that has mini-sprite-maps of every dungeon in the game with all the treasure locations and names marked out. There's also a beastiary, and a "dojo" that has example pictures of every single tech in use.

Gato

Banned
DSC00843.jpg

Not sure if it has been reported but apparently the poster will only be available for the first run copies of Chrono Trigger DS.

So if I was going to pick-up a DS RPG for the holidays, and it's between Chrono Trigger DS and Final Fantasy IV, I'd pick-up... ? (help me gaf)

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
personally i say chrono trigger. final fantasy iv remake was a bit hard for my tastes. i guess if you're looking for a challenge with nice remade 3d graphics, that may be the way to go, but chrono trigger is a charming 2d classic that everyone--even people who don't normally enjoy rpgs--should play.

Gato said:
DSC00843.jpg

Not sure if it has been reported but apparently the poster will only be available for the first run copies of Chrono Trigger DS.

Ah thanks, I'd seen that "Free Poster" thing in a couple of pictures but couldn't read what it said underneath it. Kind of hope this isn't a trend though, I was going to start waiting for price drops on SE games, but if they're going to start sticking posters in them then fuck.

0405 said:

Good to know. I'm glad I can safely play this on my DSi without the language defaulting to Japanese. :D

acidviper

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Easy with the exception of an optional boss (Spekkio), a boss about 2/3rds through the game (Golem Twins), and it's technically possible to choose to fight the last boss at the beginning of the game, so obviously that's tricky.

It's also not grind heavy and if you do choose to grind it goes smoothly.
Golem sisters are a joke - this is prolly on gamefaqs but its so logical you just
kill it with fire, equip the red vest and 2 ruby vests. Don't attack with the other 2 with physicals and just Lucca fireII for 20 or so turns
I noticed some lag bumps before pre-set fights. I only noticed this during the elevator ride down to the
ocean palace where you fight the golem sisters
. Dunno if the original had this or its just me.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Here' my physical SNES copy... its too bad that the cartridge is damage and my stupid 12 year old self wrote on it like that (what the f' was I thinking?)

2mmebo7.jpg

beelzebozo said:
personally i say chrono trigger. final fantasy iv remake was a bit hard for my tastes. i guess if you're looking for a challenge with nice remade 3d graphics, that may be the way to go, but chrono trigger is a charming 2d classic that everyone--even people who don't normally enjoy rpgs--should play.

Good choice. I'm in the bolded camp as I hate RPGs yet I enjoy Chrono Trigger. Crazy :lol

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
BlueTsunami said:
Here' my physical SNES copy... its too bad that the cartridge is damage and my stupid 12 year old self wrote on it like that (what the f' was I thinking?)
Bad art

The Chrono Trigger Medley is like a giant cocktease of the Orchestra Version of the soundtrack that we all want but will never get until like 5 years.

On the subject of the actual game, I had doubts that I'd actually play through it with some motivation until I realized that the script was somewhat modified, which makes for a little treasure hunt of sorts to look for all the little changes. And also a funky drinking game (e.g. Anytime the word
Fiendlord
appears, take a shot).

Fireblend

Banned
Micromegas said:
So if I was going to pick-up a DS RPG for the holidays, and it's between Chrono Trigger DS and Final Fantasy IV, I'd pick-up... ? (help me gaf)
Final Fantasy IV is great, I didn't have as much trouble with the game as most people say (I don't really consider myself a "hardcore" player, and my finished games history is pretty pathetic, so it surprised me to see people calling the game hard), but Chrono Trigger definitely wins. It's probably one of my favorite games of all time, and everyone should play it. Go with CT.

tenritsu

Banned
BlueTsunami said:

2mmebo7.jpg

Well, at least you didn't draw pictures or anything...

Tabris

I know this has been probabaly answered a bunch.

Is this game worth it if I have both a PSOne copy and a SNES copy? Also I don't generally have much time to play portable games as much anymore as my commute is only 15 minutes now and I already have a bunch of original portable games to play still.

Tabris said:

Is this game worth it if I have both a PSOne copy and a SNES copy? Also I don't generally have much time to play portable games as much anymore as my commute is only 15 minutes now and I already have a bunch of original portable games to play still.
Honestly? Not really, no. Unless you love CT so much that the idea of a few "bonus" dungeons and bossfights has you all ready to play through it again on the small screen.

Tabris said:

Nope. Actually, I'm doubtful that it's worth it if you had an SNES copy...but if you never played it, it's pretty much defiitive.

Tabris

Yeah, Chrono Trigger is not my favorite SNES game. (Definitely Top 5 though) I would get a Lufia 2 port if that was made though, just mainly on principal, support and collecting purposes.

Tabris said:

If you have them but can't play either of them immediately without setting up your console before-hand, then get the DS version. That's the rationale I went with.

Tabris said:
Yeah, Chrono Trigger is not my favorite SNES game. (Definitely Top 5 though) I would get a Lufia 2 port if that was made though, just mainly on principal, support and collecting purposes.
Yeah, don't bother then. I'm kind of on the line of feeling like I wasted my money even, and I've got tons of time for handheld gaming.

mjc

I played CT way back on the PS1 port and it was pretty horrible on the technical side. I don't remember much of the game itself so replaying it on DS should be fun.

Tabris

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
If you have them but can't play either of them immediately without setting up your console before-hand, then get the DS version. That's the rationale I went with.

Yeah, I got my SNES hooked up to a 1080p upconverting receiver and my 60GB PS3 has 1080p upconversion on PSOne games, so I'm pretty much set for that :)

Top Bottom