• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger DS: The |OT|

kiryogi

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
Here' my physical SNES copy... its too bad that the cartridge is damage and my stupid 12 year old self wrote on it like that (what the f' was I thinking?)

2mmebo7.jpg

Man. I had this bad habit of taping up the left side of the boxes for some reason as a kid D: My cart doesn't look too hot either. XD

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Tabris said:
I know this has been probabaly answered a bunch.

Is this game worth it if I have both a PSOne copy and a SNES copy? Also I don't generally have much time to play portable games as much anymore as my commute is only 15 minutes now and I already have a bunch of original portable games to play still.
YES!
Granted that of course this is my favorite game of all time.
:D
Is the PSX version even worth having?

LevityNYC

Banned
justchris said:
Looks like my Amazon pre-order won't ship until tomorrow, which means I won't have it until Friday :(

You better pray they shipped it air.
I ship online retail and I know for a fact there are no UPS Ground deliveries this Friday. Only Air.

IMO every great SNES game should be ported to DS with new shit. Yep. Just as soon as Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony collaborate on a singular console and DLC goes away.

Chrono Trigger DS is like, my new most prized possession. :lol

AniHawk

Gato said:
DSC00843.jpg

Not sure if it has been reported but apparently the poster will only be available for the first run copies of Chrono Trigger DS.

Hey man. Fuck you for this post. I didn't have $40 to spend on fucking Chrono Trigger. And now I have Chrono Trigger.

Philia

Now I can ease that guilt off of my shoulders for selling SNES CT among the other games for a playstation. Figures that it'll get a remake/port more than once. :D

Jiggy

Just got to the part where
Frog
permanently joins the party. The original line of "
You're a marshmallow, Glenn
" will always reign supreme over the newer, suckier line of "
You're too soft, Glenn
," and I also prefer Frog's SNES speech. But despite those things, Chrono Trigger still literally gives me goosebumps at times on the strength of its music, and the gameplay holds up as well as ever. So happy to have this portable now.

daegan

Re: The Frog speech etc...

I dislike how they say that it's mostly the old script when the names of most things are completely different and an entire character is changed so much. They could've corrected his speech without washing it of its air of perceived nobility, which is what they've done.

I don't know, maybe they've got the notes from when Woolsey was doing the original translation or something. I just don't see why Tab needs to become Capsule. I know why they picked Tab. It doesn't mean it needs to be corrected, fucking keep it Tab. I've been popping Power Tabs for almost a decade and a half now, christ.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Mejilan said:
Yeah, I believe much of this Extras section was included with the PSOne release.
Oh... I really like some of the extra mode's music back in 2001 when North America got it. Glad it's there!

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
BlueTsunami said:
Here' my physical SNES copy... its too bad that the cartridge is damage and my stupid 12 year old self wrote on it like that (what the f' was I thinking?)

http://i37.tinypic.com/2mmebo7.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I've done that too. :lol

My little brother was even worse. He ripped Tetris for Gameboy on purpose and instead wrote Mario Land with a pen on it thinking it would automatically turn into Mario.

Jiggy

No
Sir Slush
line makes me sad. :( And "
Yah!
" instead of "
Yes indeed!
"? Really?

It's not like I play games for story, but if I'm going to be reading stuff regardless then I at least want it to be full of charm. This reminds me too much of Final Fantasy VI Advance in that they're trying to inject extra seriousness into characters who people loved for having dialogue that was more than a little off-kilter.

Not that this doesn't fall by the wayside to an extent with me given the gameplay and music, but it's worth commenting on because so far it's the only thing I could possibly complain about with this version.

Edit: Well, that and the whole
Fiendlord
title. Sounds like a lost boss from Final Fantasy IV more than anything from Chrono Trigger.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
daegan said:
I don't know, maybe they've got the notes from when Woolsey was doing the original translation or something. I just don't see why Tab needs to become Capsule. I know why they picked Tab. It doesn't mean it needs to be corrected, fucking keep it Tab. I've been popping Power Tabs for almost a decade and a half now, christ.
You can't be serious.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I for one like the new Frog speech.

I don't know if it was in the original but there's a
kid at Ioka village
that comments on
Lavos falling
that says something like
"Scared. Make little water"
. That made me laugh.

Jiggy37 said:
And "
Yah!
" instead of "
Yes indeed!
"? Really?
I haven't been bothered much by the text changes as I really don't remember many specifics from the original translation but this one annoyed me because I was actually expecting to read it. Me and friends use
Yes indeed!
as a joke since the days of old.

BlueTsunami said:

2mmebo7.jpg
The funny thing is that the original title is still on the cartridge.

Fuu

Frog's reactions and comments along with Ayla's are my favorites in the game, like when
Janus says one of them will die
. Having those two in the party makes for an awesome contrast.

colinp

Banned
Picked up CTDS yesterday and am having great fun. Can't even remember the last time I played the game...

What battle speed do you folks recommend playing at? And the real time battles or turn based...?

Torquill

Dragona Akehi said:
AHUAHUAHUAHUAHUAHUAHUAUAHUAHUAHUAHUAHUAHUHAUHAUHAUHAUHAUHAUHAUHAUHAUHAUHAUHAUAUAHUAHUAHUAHAUH
Dragona is clearly is a closet villain of some type. Only villains laugh like this... :lol

i've played through my first few hours past the
courtroom
scene, which was amazingly cool! and i'm up to the
'future world'
whatever that's called. Really enjoying it, would have blown my mind back when it came out!!! Pity I was a dickwad and didn't know it existed.

daegan

RevenantKioku said:
You can't be serious.

It just strikes me as a completely unnecessary change. I wouldn't get all "OMG WAA IT'S NOT THE SAME GAME ANYMORE" fanboy-crazed about it, but why did they bother changing it? It worked perfectly well before. I guess it still does, but when you've played the game through so many times there're some things you get used to :D

LevityNYC

Banned
daegan said:
Re: The Frog speech etc...

\

Capsules are easier to swallow. Maybe the next translation with contain Liquigels.

psy18

Holy shit. After so many years and replay I'm still enjoying this game. Translation changes are interesting and an even greater incentive for me to play this version.

A bit disappointed on the music though. It sounds muddier to me.

edit: and some of the sfx are different too. They are worse imo.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Do you guys seriously remember this stuff based on your play through from 15 years ago? Thanks to booze I can barely remember what I did 15 minutes ago. Okay, that's an exaggeration. 15 days for sure. Still, point is, I wouldn't pick up these changes if I tried.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
psy18 said:
A bit disappointed on the music though. It sounds muddier to me.

That kind of bugs me out, though it certainly won't stop me from picking this up. I was looking forward to hearing the soundtrack on the bus through my hd-555's :lol

psy18

jon bones said:
That kind of bugs me out, though it certainly won't stop me from picking this up. I was looking forward to hearing the soundtrack on the bus through my hd-555's :lol

Well maybe I'm wrong. I've been playing the SNES and PS1 version through a pretty nice sound system which of course shouldn't be compared to DS + EX85.

Fuu

diffusionx said:
Do you guys seriously remember this stuff based on your play through from 15 years ago? Thanks to booze I can barely remember what I did 15 minutes ago. Okay, that's an exaggeration. 15 days for sure. Still, point is, I wouldn't pick up these changes if I tried.
Kinda obvious that this happens because many have replayed the game in the past few years.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
jon bones said:
well tiny little DS speakers will do that.

jon bones said:

I hooked up headphones and then full blown speakers and found it quite impressive. Once I bounded into the opening sequence, I was hit with a blast of nostalgia hearing that music.

LevityNYC

Banned
I own the original soundtrack on CD and I play it through my car audio speakers and my headphones. I can say the music in the game is the same as on the CD. Don't worry. Some of the sound effects do sound SLIGHTLY different.

Yay, newegg shipped my order yesterday that I just placed yesterday afternoon.. even changed the free shipping to 2 day... and yet ups brought it today overnight.. YAYZ

defferoo

@#%$ amazon is REALLY dropping the ball here. pre-ordered in october. says it'll ship out on Dec 1st. On the product page it says if i order in the next 3 minutes and select 1 day shipping i can get it by Nov 28th. So what gives? I paid for the thing over a month in advance and this is how i'm treated? what a load of sh!t.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Actually, they don't charge you until it ships. You can probably change your shipping speed and have it delivered on the 1st instead.

Amir0x

Banned
So someone said to get the new ending, you have to beat the special dungeons. What do you have to do to access these new special dungeons? I don't want to waste time with anything else, I've already got most of the old endings before.

neoism

DarkAngelYuna said:
Yay, newegg shipped my order yesterday that I just placed yesterday afternoon.. even changed the free shipping to 2 day... and yet ups brought it today overnight.. YAYZ
+ +
___

I did too at 3 yesterday afternoon and nuffin! :(

kiryogi

Banned
Amir0x said:
So someone said to get the new ending, you have to beat the special dungeons. What do you have to do to access these new special dungeons? I don't want to waste time with anything else, I've already got most of the old endings before.

gotta get the normal ending first. or was it clear the black omen? I forget.

Amir0x

Banned
It's a poster, seriously... just a poster. And it's a poster you could buy for yourself somewhere, I'm sure. I hear there is a pretty cool game inside the box though

Top Bottom