• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger DS: The |OT|

Mejilan said:
*catches up on thread*

Hmmm. You know what I'm going to do?
I'm going to continue taking all of Chrono Cross, and shlumping it under "alternate dimension bullshittery that never actually happened." I think I'll take this new Chrono Trigger ending and similarly banish it.

Yeah.

While I truly dislike Cross, those little comics totally made up for it.

No, seriously.

daegan

They can say what they want, I'm still not taking the new ending as canon. None of the other alternates are.

But I do still love Cross!

I always took the repair of universes to mean that none of the bad stuff happened to my beloved CT characters anyway, although them dying is one of the most ballsy story moves I think anyone's ever made in a sequel.

I would ALSO like to state that even if you do take this ending seriously, perhaps Magus somehow causes the Frozen Flame to end up in a certain guru's hands, bringing about the events of CC and the freeing of Schala.

damn, the music still sounds amazing to this day, maybe even better on the DS

It's hard to believe mitsuda accomplished such quality in a cartridge, it's only rivaled by FF6 and the first goemon for the N64 IMO

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Loto said:
1124081622.jpg

Guess a poster is inside

13 years later, it still bothers me how Toriyama fucked up Marle's magic.

Minor spoiler about the new ending:

So does the new ending basically retcon Guile from Chrono Cross into being Magus? I remember reading that he was an amnesiac in his bio. :\

daegan

CurseoftheGods said:
Minor spoiler about the new ending:

So does the new ending basically retcon Guile from Chrono Cross into being Magus? I remember reading that he was an amnesiac in his bio. :\

Right now signs point to "it COULD be".

It's been said MANY MANY times that the character IS Magus in Radical Dreamers but NOT in Chrono Cross. This could be their way of rectifying this.

daegan said:
Right now signs point to "it COULD be".

It's been said MANY MANY times that the character IS Magus in Radical Dreamers but NOT in Chrono Cross. This could be their way of rectifying this.

Yeah, it seems like they changed their mind all of a sudden. :lol

Regulus Tera said:

I always thought it was colored that way to stand out from the giant snowfield, considering her element. Otherwise, it'd just look like she was pointing at the sword, eh?

Teknoman

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
I always thought it was colored that way to stand out from the giant snowfield, considering her element. Otherwise, it'd just look like she was pointing at the sword, eh?

Couldnt they have just used a light blue crystalish color?

Also I hope I end up getting that CD even though I didnt preorder the game. Not many preorders at my Gamestop, but they usually send a bunch of CDs when its a bonus.

EDIT: That and its the wrong environment for that boss. Wasnt he in a cave?

Red Scarlet

Yeah, if it's that Heckram guy or whoever. He was in a cave, Frog wasn't in the party, and Marle is using the wrong magic.

I'm still waiting for my cart to arrive.

First SNES rpg I ever beat completely. And on my own no less (I used a strategy guide for FFVI in some parts). Brings back so many memories. My friends and I used to argue "which was better : FF6 or Chrono". Each side had a few supporters, I was the biggest champion for this game.

I cannot wait. This is nostalgia of the good kind, not the FF7 kind. :)

Come back to me Chrono!

This is the best game I never owned. I rented it, borrowed it countless times, have declared it my favorite game of all time... beat it so many times it's absurd... but did I buy it? Nope. So I really can't fucking wait for this.

Teknoman

Heh my experience was this:

Rented it and beat the game. Discovered the fact that it had multiple endings, and ended up finding it in a pawn shop a few months later for cheap. Traded it off ( damn you Electronics Boutique and Sega Saturn) for some Saturn games. Bought it again in the PSone FF Chronicles pack.

And now im getting the definitive DS version. Wonder if that extra monster online battle game will have a decent base behind it...

Time travel game that is a timeless classic = awesome.

Only game i've repurchased more will probably be Final Fantasy IV.

MrDaravon

Regulus Tera said:

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:

99% of people have never realized that the cover is actually the three of them doing the Arc Impulse triple tech (Crono leaps off Frog's back, Marle's magic turns Crono's sword to fire, and he strikes). Completely explains the Crono's sword being on fire, and why Frog is kneeling on the ground. 2nd tech seen here.

Teknoman

Wow. :lol That actually never occurred to me.

Still would've been nice inside the cave.

EDIT: What, youtube widescreen?!

Mejilan said:
*catches up on thread*

Hmmm. You know what I'm going to do?
I'm going to continue taking all of Chrono Cross, and shlumping it under "alternate dimension bullshittery that never actually happened." I think I'll take this new Chrono Trigger ending and similarly banish it.

Yeah.

Guess what.

It did.

It happened, it's canon, the same person who wrote Chrono Trigger's story wrote Chrono Cross's

So cry and cry and cry because they're both fantastic games.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
SailorDaravon said:
99% of people have never realized that the cover is actually the three of them doing the Arc Impulse triple tech (Crono leaps off Frog's back, Marle's magic turns Crono's sword to fire, and he strikes). Completely explains the Crono's sword being on fire, and why Frog is kneeling on the ground. 2nd tech seen here.

This deserves to be in the cloudbush thread. =O

MrDaravon

Regulus Tera said:
This deserves to be in the cloudbush thread. =O

Any Chrono Trigger board has had this information for like, 10 years. Do that many people really not know about that? :lol

IIRC the enemy still doesn't make sense though. It's been a long time, but I don't think you fight any of those monsters in 2300 AD.

Did anyone ever get that blue rock accessory that gave you a special triple tech? I could never get that thing. You basically had to get hit by this robin hood character in the field right?

justchris

Crono, Marle and Ayla is my normal team, although sometimes I do Crono, Frog & Ayla or Magus, Frog & Robo. I barely use Lucca at all through the last half of the game.

Regulus Tera said:
When he talks to the party, he mentions that they're in the future where Lavos was defeated, but says, "Whether that is the future of the world from which you've come, I do not know. There are as many worlds as there are potentialities." This suggests that he is, in fact, merely the Magus from another timeline, perhaps the one made up of the assorted awful universe fragments you just fought through, and the one that created the Time/Dream Devourer. It is, essentially, the dimension where everyone is a failure. Where Crono can be defeated by mortal men, Lucca is too dumb to realise that fire shouldn't be able to kill her, and Magus is Cloud Strife.

The phrasing of this is spectacular.

Edit: Magus actually has 2 triple techs (I forget who with). You have to equip either the Black Rock, Blue Rock to get them. There are two other rocks for none Crono triple techs, one is the Gold Rock, and I forget the 4th. They're also the hardest items to find in the game, easily missible if you don't know about them.

SailorDaravon said:
Any Chrono Trigger board has had this information for like, 10 years. Do that many people really not know about that? :lol

IIRC the enemy still doesn't make sense though. It's been a long time, but I don't think you fight any of those monsters in 2300 AD.

You mean 12 000 BC.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
PataHikari said:
Guess what.

It did.

It happened, it's canon, the same person who wrote Chrono Trigger's story wrote Chrono Cross's

So cry and cry and cry because they're both fantastic games.

Yes, the game (CC) happened. I'm not debating that. I own it! However, I consider it to be an alternate timeline thing. Plenty of evidence for that in BOTH games.

CRY AND CRY MORE. Not everyone loves CC as much as you.

Mejilan

I'm pretty sure that there is. In the end-game, and possibly elsewhere. (Or, from what I've read, at least the ability to acquire powerful stuff out-of-depth, that is, earlier than normal.)

SailorDaravon said:
For some reason I always assumed that was from
Death Mountain
. It's honestly probably been like 5 or 6 years since I've played the game though.

Dude there's a TOWN in the background. :p

Teknoman said:
I thought it was from the future with all the snow and whatnot?

12 000 BC was the Ice Age, remember?

ElyrionX

Mejilan said:
I'm pretty sure that there is. In the end-game, and possibly elsewhere. (Or, from what I've read, at least the ability to acquire powerful stuff out-of-depth, that is, earlier than normal.)

Hmm, what's that supposed to mean? Also, are the new dungeons supposed to be very challenging?

Teknoman

Dragona Akehi said:

12 000 BC was the Ice Age, remember?

I totally forgot about that. The only place I remember from that time period was Zeal, but forgot that it actually had a ground area.

Mejilan

ElyrionX said:
Hmm, what's that supposed to mean? Also, are the new dungeons supposed to be very challenging?

No idea, but considering how piss-easy CT is, I'm pretty sure it won't be THAT bad. I don't really know all the details, because all they had to do is announce the game for me to buy it.

MrDaravon

Dragona Akehi said:

Wow, you're right, Jesus. I probably noticed that at some point but it's been so long since I've looked at the picture closely I totally forgot, damn. :lol

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
You know what's bad about this thread at times? It's the new gamers who have never experienced much of Chrono Trigger (an entire continent and then some) that come in here and see people rag on and complain about an ending in the game. It really dampens the feelings of wanting to even get through the game anymore.

I'd say keep your fanboyish tears to spoiler tags or go post in GameFAQs.

Mejilan

It's like 1 new ending. There are still over a dozen of the original endings to get. Some of those are still fuck-awesome.

I don't think ANYONE here will be disappointed by the main game. CT veterans or newcomers.

speedpop said:
You know what's bad about this thread at times? It's the new gamers who have never experienced much of Chrono Trigger (an entire continent and then some) that come in here and see people rag on and complain about an ending in the game. It really dampens the feelings of wanting to even get through the game anymore.

I'd say keep your fanboyish tears to spoiler tags or go post in GameFAQs.

Not that I'd want this to become a trend but, perhaps we should make a spoiler-free thread for CT newbies... I'm not about to go and retcon each post in this thread to spoilerproof it... :p

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Dragona Akehi said:
Not that I'd want this to become a trend but, perhaps we should make a spoiler-free thread for CT newbies... I'm not about to go and retcon each post in this thread to spoilerproof it... :p
I'm not one to say that you should create a new thread or go through the posts. I blame myself for looking at them because of my own curiosity, and letting other peoples opinions and feelings bother me to the point where I don't feel like playing it anymore.

From what I can gather, it's all just bonus content anyway.

Red Scarlet

biggkidd32 said:
Did anyone ever get that blue rock accessory that gave you a special triple tech? I could never get that thing. You basically had to get hit by this robin hood character in the field right?

That should be the Silver Rock. All you do is go into that mountain area where you first fought the 2 sword twin guys with Frog in your party. A robin hood guy will throw rocks at you while you climb a ladder, and Frog will catch one. That's all you gotta do. Never really liked the tech though, since it uses Robo+Frog+Ayla.

daegan

Dragona Akehi said:

"Official Thread For Europe and Youngins"

ElyrionX

Found this new items list on GameFAQs forums:

Crono.
Icewyrm
Attack: 160
Effect:: None.
Found: Event, Lost sanctum

Dreamseeker
Attack: 240
Effect:: 90% Crit Rate
Found: Conpletion Bonus: Time's Eclipse (?)

Marle.
Stardust Bow:
Attack: 150
Effect:: Inflicts Stop.
Found: Chest, Lost sanctum

Venus Bow
Attack:: 0
Effect: Deals 777 Damage.
Found: Chest: Dimensional Vortex

Lucca
Turboshot
Attack:: 140
Effect:: Speed+3
Found: Chest, Lost sanctum

Spellslinger
Attack: 0
Effect: Damage Based on last Digit of MP.

Robo:
Dragon Arm
Attack: 170
Effect: None

Apicalypse Arm
Attack: 0
Effect: May deal 9999 Damage

Frog
Dinoblade
Attack: 160
Effect: Strength+ 5
found: Chest, Lost sanctum

Ayla
only here fists at certin levels

Magus
Judgment Scythe
Attack: 155
Effect: Inflicts Stop

Dreamreaper
Attack: 180
Effect: 4x Damage on crit hit

Helms
Dragon head
Def: 36
Effect: Strength + 5
Found: Shop/Chest: lost Sanctum
USed by: CHrono, Robo, Frog, Magus

Reptite Tiara
Def: 35
Effect: Magic +5
Used by: Marle, Lucca, Ayla

Master's Crown
Def: 40
Effect: Damage boost, Status immunity
Used by: CHrono, Robo, Frog, Magus

Angel's Tiara
Def: 36
Effect: Autohaste, Status immunity

Armor
Repite Dress
Def: 82
Effect: Magic + 10

Dragon Armor
Def: 83
Effect: Strength + 10

Saurian Leathers
Def: 88
Effect Speed/Strength +3
Found: Event, lost Sanctum
Used by: All

Regal Plate
Def: 88
Effect: Stamina/Magic def +10

Regal Gown
Def: 90
Effect: Auto Protect/Barrier
Used by: Marle, Lucca, Atla

Shadowplume Robe
Def: 90
Effect: Mdef+20 Auto Barrier
Used by: Magus

Elemental Aegis
Def: 92
Effect: Elemental Immunity
Found: Event: Lost Sanctum
Used by: Lucca.

Accessories
Valor Crest
Effect: Crit rate +, 50% counter rate
Used by: Ayla

Champuib;s Badge
Effect: Masamune crit %+, Halves MP cost
used by: Frog

Dragons tear
Effect: Crit rate +
Used by: all

Nu Arcana
Effect: Sets enemy HP to 1
Used by: All
Found: Event, Arena of ages

Uranian Mirrior
Effect: 25% counter rate for Non Light based attacks
Used by: Chrono

Prontic Mirrior
Effect: 25% counter rate for Non Water based attacks
Used by: Frog, Marle

Promethean Mirrior
Effect: 25% counter rate for Non Fire based attacks
Used by: Lucca

Hadean Mirrior
Effect: 25% counter rate for Non Shadow based attacks
Used by: Magus

Aresian Mirror
Effect: 25% counter rate for Non Magic based attacks
Used by: Robo, ayla

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=950181&topic=46737471

Mejilan

speedpop said:
I'm not one to say that you should create a new thread or go through the posts. I blame myself for looking at them because of my own curiosity, and letting other peoples opinions and feelings bother me to the point where I don't feel like playing it anymore.

From what I can gather, it's all just bonus content anyway.

You really needn't worry. The new stuff everyone is bitching about is FF Advance-style post-game content. The main game and regular endings are all perfectly intact. To make a long story short, once you beat the game, you gain access to three new dungeons. These dungeons feature some story elements that purport to better tie CT and CC together (the two games were only loosely tied together to begin with). Beat the three dungeons and you get a new, harder boss to fight. Beat that boss to see the new ending exclusive to this version of the game.

It's just one over over a dozen endings already available, however. Much like in the FF Advance ports, you can just play the main game and ignore the rest, and walk away satisfied.

ElyrionX

Dragona Akehi said:
Ok now it's getting a bit ridiculous.

Ah ok, sorry about that. I didn't think posting an items list would be spoiling the game for anyone but I guess it's better to spoiler tag it just to be safe.

Fireblend

Banned
SailorDaravon said:
Holy shit.

LevityNYC

Banned
Anyone else notice the box art for CT is wrong?

I've owned the game for 13 years an I never realized it.

Marle is shooting fire towards Chrono's sword to perform a double tech when we all know that Lucca is capable of fire and Marle only shoots ice.

LevityNYC said:
Anyone else notice the box art for CT is wrong?

I've owned the game for 13 years an I never realized it.

Marle is shooting fire towards Chrono's sword to perform a double tech when we all know that Lucca is capable of fire and Marle only shoots ice.

No, as mentioned, the triple tech is Arc Impulse, and the ice magic there does have a red flash.

The larger problem is that

a) You do not fight Heckran with Frog

b) You never fight a Heckran-like monster in 12 000 BC

Irritated the fuck out of me once I realised it.

Just went to Wal-Mart to see if I could snag a copy at midnight. Nah. THEN I got in my Jeep, started it... but wait, I didn't start it because my fucking battery decided to be a jackass. Sat out there for like half an hour trying to start it, bastard wouldn't budge, then had to wait an additional half an hour for my dad to come get me. Bear in mind, late November temperatures with no heat... yeah.

Oh Crono, the things I go through for you. But I guess that's my own stupid ass fault for even hoping that Wal-Mart would actually get something on release day. I know it's still probably the ship date but whatever, they won't have it tomorrow either.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Is there a triple tech for Crono + Ayla + Frog?

SailorDaravon said:
:0

The pic is still innacurate and all, but the "fire magic" was always what bothered me the most. Thanks for clarifying that!

Top Bottom