• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger DS: The |OT|

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
whats up with the 40$ price tag. I really wanna play this game but I'm not about to drop 40 on a DS game.

Amir0x

Banned
Squeenix tax.

Mine shipped and should be arriving tomorrow... what exactly are the requirements for the new ending, since that's what I'll be doing?

MrDaravon

Man, just thinking about playing this game again, with NEW stuff brings a smile to my face. L4D, Mass Effect, and Phoenix Wright are all going on hold baby!

Tashi0106 said:
whats up with the 40$ price tag. I really wanna play this game but I'm not about to drop 40 on a DS game.

I would normally agree, but it's worth it in this case. I paid $85 for the original cartridge and it was worth every penny. You're getting a bargain.

Also, I just saw how long that spoilered new item list is and it makes the wait that much harder. I just hope some of them are actually useful.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I still wish they made
1999 a playable area that you can walk around in and do sidequests in
in this version... that would've made this game perfect.

djtiesto said:
I still wish they made
1999 a playable area that you can walk around in and do sidequests in
in this version... that would've made this game perfect.

They should have also added a sidequest in that era where
Crono and friends prevent the future destruction of the Star Wars franchise by stopping the release of Episode 1
. No one would have questioned the $39.99.

ElyrionX

Fuu said:
Is there a triple tech for Crono + Ayla + Frog?

As long as your party has Crono and does not have Magus, there will definitely be a triple tech available no matter what combination you choose.

Torquill

I've always thought the multiple endings selling-point was a bit misleading. It makes it sound like the game has 10+ paths it can go and end up on. Really, there's just one plot path that you can shortcut at any time. Just one primary ending you can get for playing the game from start to finish with a handful of variations on it (nothing that makes it a "new ending"). The remainder of the endings are gotten by beating the game earlier than the very end.

So the game's progression doesn't look like a tree with ton of brancing pathways. It's a stem with thorns and a bud at the end.

Still love the game but I just always thought the ending stuff was misleading :p.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
ElyrionX said:
As long as your party has Crono and does not have Magus, there will definitely be a triple tech available no matter what combination you choose.
I wasn't sure, thanks

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
baphometbones said:
They should have also added a sidequest in that era where
Crono and friends prevent the future destruction of the Star Wars franchise by stopping the release of Episode 1
. No one would have questioned the $39.99.

:lol

Torquill

Why hasn't someone made a CT flash movie where a terminator shows up in a ball of time lightning? I would think we would have seen this by now....

LevityNYC

Banned
VeritasVierge said:
I am going to disagree here. Nothing, NOTHING can rectify cross. Nothing.

Amen.

ITs like they started making an RPG, saw it turn into a Pokemon game and decided, lets add some nonsensical relationship with Chrono Trigger and it'll sell.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Torquill said:
Only for the small variations of the primary ending.

Pretty much ALL endings (save for the new one) are variations of the same basic sequence. And there are plenty of things that affect it beyond when you fight the standard last bossy.

I have it, Marcus. I have it IN MY HANDS

edit: OMG the poster it came with is fucking awesome, it's a wide poster of the cover art, but with NO LOGO. stylish.

wow didn't know you could actually turn the anime cutscenes off.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
brandonh83 said:

edit: OMG the poster it came with is fucking awesome, it's a wide poster of the cover art, but with NO LOGO. stylish.

woahh poster? how'd you get that? pics?

Torquill

Mejilan said:
Pretty much ALL endings (save for the new one) are variations of the same basic sequence. And there are plenty of things that affect it beyond when you fight the standard last bossy.
Not so at all.

These endings are variations of the same basic sequence?

Dev Room
Frog Marries Leene
Reptites Rule
Crazy Nu and froggie credits
Frog vs. Magus
Magus vs. Lavos
Moonlight Parade

Each is gotten based on when you killed Lavos. There is no other criteria and no variations for any of those endings aside from the moonlight parade.

Now the moonlight parade does have several variations that have nothing to do with when you fight Lavos, true.

Rescued Crono
Killed/Recruited/Ignored Magus
How many cats
Crashed the Epoch
Saved Lara's legs

But no difference significant enough (except maybe rescuring crono) that I would call it a different ending, compared to the ones previously listed.

So only one ending has any varations on a sequence, and the rest are all gotten based on when you kill Lavos.

(Disclaimer: I reserve the right to be wrong :p)

Couldn't find this in Toronto today. They told me tomorrow. This is the first DS game I will pick up in a very long time.

mollipen

For you people getting the game, could somebody possibly switch your DS language to Japanese temporarily to see if the US version will play in Japanese (like the Japanese version would play in English)?

brandonh83 said:

I love that it comes with a poster as well. I'm not going to be displaying it on my wall or anything, but it further reinforces the pure nostalgia oozing out of this release. I still have the maps and double-sided posters that came with the SNES one and I even framed the one of the campfire scene back in the day. It's just nice to see that some care is being put into the whole package.

shidoshi said:
For you people getting the game, could somebody possibly switch your DS language to Japanese temporarily to see if the US version will play in Japanese (like the Japanese version would play in English)?

Yes, someone please check this. More specifically, check if there is an in-game option to switch the language, because I have a DSi and I would hate to not be able to play it in English. :lol

The JP version did, but I want to make sure the US one does as well.

jon bones said:
woahh poster? how'd you get that? pics?

Every copy comes with the poster in the box! Woo!

v4xzqv.jpg

24mcdg4.jpg

Haeleos

<spoiler><thread></thread></spoiler>

I have never played Chrono Trigger, but I'll be picking this up when I'm finished Fable 2 and Gears 2.

Track one: CHRONO TRIGGER ~Orchestra Version~
Track two: CHRONO TRIGGER MEDLEY ~Orchestra Version~

Yep, that's it. Don't know why they didn't include more but whatever.

dankir

So worth the moniez? I beat the original about 7 or 8 times, asides from endings and control scheme anything else new? Not that the game needs new stuff.

dankir said:
So worth the moniez? I beat the original about 7 or 8 times, asides from endings and control scheme anything else new? Not that the game needs new stuff.

Well, it's just kinda fresh, with the touch-screen functions and having new things to look at (like the map screen on the bottom). I think it's really nice so far.

dankir said:

- Two New Dungeons: "Dragon's Sanctuary" and "Dimensional Distortion".
- Slightly modified translation... no more Middle English from Frog has been confirmed. Much like the Final Fantasy VI remake for GBA it still uses the original Ted Woolsey translation as a base. Good news, as the original translation was wonderful.
- Contains the anime cutscenes from the PSX version with the added bonus of NO LOAD TIMES! Again, excellent news as load times are what crippled that release.
- Also similar to the PSX version is the Extras mode which includes a bestiary, music player, artwork, and more.
- Monster Battle Arena

I'd say it's well worth it.

Zoe

brandonh83 said:
Yep, that's it. Don't know why they didn't include more but whatever.

You should be happy they included even that much when they could have turned around and made it a full release to put on sale.

How do people feel about the touchscreen movement? I tried it and I thought it was silly and useless. Not that it matters, since it's totally optional.

Nibelung Valesti said:
No new double/triple techs involving
Magus and Crono together
? Aww :(

Using a
Crono/Magus
Double Tech would be akin to using a Game Genie. Throw Frog in there and the universe would collapse.

mochuuu

PSN Community Mgr.
aggh...they didn't have it...i found myself really let down today. oh, well. will go home and play l4d then.

Top Bottom