• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger DS: The |OT|

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Chrono Trigger's rad. This port is rad.

Seriously, having a perfect port of Chrono Trigger, in my pocket, means my life's pretty much complete.

Draft

Chrono Cross is a garbage game, and doesn't deserve to be associated with genius like Chrono Trigger.

How do you catch this Goddamn rat with the door code.

epmode

DarkCloud said:
xfrxgw.gif
Is this still active? And if so, where?

edit: SORRY, FIGURED IT OUT. KILL ME SOMEONE

Duck Amuck said:
On to the castle of the Fiendlord. :eek:

I think we need to have a debate on what the best time period is, because it's pretty obvious what it is.

65,000,000 BC

Everyone knows it's 12,000 BC because it has the best music ever. When you get there for the first time, it is actually a real surprise. Sure, it contains a fair number of RPG cliches (evil queen, floating islands, large discrepancy between the oppressed people and the high-born ones, giant airship) but it still manages to be incredibly cool (pardon the pun).

kiryogi

Banned
11-12 hours in. Been playing non stop. Just did the very first side quest. Good leveling! I actually never really had much of a chance to enjoy a fresh playthru often. I'd always use a newgame+. Anywho
got my Pendant powered up and been having fun with it. Not to mention picking up the Epoch as well. Got all the sealed doors/upgrades I could thus far. Then started and finished Fiona's forest. Good experience in there! Though, the boss wasn't anything bad since I had black plate and vests :lol
I'm currently taking a break and debating do I play more or switch over and play a little Rune Factory 2.

kiryogi

Banned
Duck Amuck said:
That is the second best for me.

But you can't top
Ayla and Crono having a drinking contest, Lucca doing unspeakable things, and Ayla barfing a lung because she kicks ass while pregnant. Then you've got evil ass dinosaurs who get PIZOWNED, and the emergence of Lavos. Such an epic fucking part of the game. I mean YOU FLY ON TERA DACTYLS.

wait what, shes preg? How come I never caught this? o-o

Shatai

Banned
Allow me to don my monocle and handlebar mustache while I explain why Chrono Trigger's plebian plot is inferior to the majesty of depth and writing mastery that is Chrono Cross. How dare you have fun.

kiryogi

Banned
Duck Amuck said:
"Ayla love Kino best. Kino take care of town while Ayla gone. Ayla die or Ayla have baby, Kino chief.

*later on after fighting the head Dino's henchman boss*

Ayla barfs. I see no reason for her to barf other than drinking too much Skull Smash or being pregnant, which she kinda hints at.

eh. I thought it was too much Skull Smash. I know about the have baby thing, but I thought it'd be something after everythings said and done.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
How long does this "Square tax" last? I love this game and want to play it again on the DS but am loath to spend $40 on it. Maybe I should just get DQIV for now (never played it)?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Barring the occasional holiday/promotional deal, the SE tax tends to last as long as the game's success. Meaning, no bomb, no drop. Not for a good long while, in any event.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Ford Prefect said:
How long does this "Square tax" last? I love this game and want to play it again on the DS but am loath to spend $40 on it. Maybe I should just get DQIV for now (never played it)?
Till the end of time

Meier

I caved and bought it at $40 on Tuesday. I always have skipped the SE DS games due to that price but couldn't do it this time... sucks. I'm about 10 hours in since I have no other games to play.

Ford Prefect said:
All their other games are still $40 basically... it's really obnoxious and it most definitely prevents sales once the titles reach catalog status. I guess they want to keep them as a premium product in theory.

Jiggy

Thirteen years of playing on New Game+ has made me forget how the last boss can be when I'm not level 70 or more, and I'm liking it. I've already lost twice, which I guess is what happens when I'm too used to never needing Panaceas or doing much of anything other than attacking a whole lot.

Putting that aside, I've been dabbling in a new dungeon, the
Lost Sanctum
. Although I was kind of hoping for enemies who would be
harder than the toughest enemies of the original game
and haven't found any yet (perhaps deeper in?), it's still so nice to finally be fighting enemies and getting items I've never seen before, in a Chrono Trigger context. :D

I'm kind of lost... Can't even remember what I did last that involved a story, but i've gone to places and worked my way thru them to have nothing at the end, like the
prehistoric world
. Hmm

666 said:
I'm kind of lost... Can't even remember what I did last that involved a story, but i've gone to places and worked my way thru them to have nothing at the end, like the
prehistoric world
. Hmm

Reptite lair => Dactyl Nest => Tyranno Lair

Then the story will continue.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Got to
Zeal
and I can't seem to find much time to play. Sigh.

Anyone knows if the monster you train in the arena ever changes form or will it be a small Nu forever? Also, what's the criteria for him to return, is it the DS internal clock or you advancing in the game?

Mejilan said:
I'm so happy this thread turned back to Cross. Great job, folks. Because we really didn't have this out enough a few pages ago, or in just about every fucking Trigger thread.
I'm slightly ashamed I was responsible but it is funny how it works.

LevityNYC

Banned
Best review I've read. I was so sick of reading people bitching about the lack of better new content.

This game was friggin fantastic 13 years ago and its just as good today.

Released today, its still better than any RPG of the last 10 years

LevityNYC

Banned
read the 2nd page of the review.

Mitsuda worked so hard on the game, he made himself very sick and Uematsu had to finish off a few tracks for him and write a couple of his own

Tabris said:
Cross > Trigger in Story and Setting. Trigger > Cross in Characters.

I don't understand the people who need fluffy stories and happy endings just because it's a video game.

I started replaying Trigger because of this thread (on SNES) and it's still a very enjoyable game. Small details, wonderful 2d artwork, beautiful music and enjoyable gameplay.
I don't think I've ever seen a post by you that isn't stupid or wrong.

LevityNYC said:

Mitsuda worked so hard on the game, he made himself very sick and Uematsu had to finish off a few tracks for him and write a couple of his own
The game certainly shows their hard work.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
jett said:
What the fuck is this bullshit? Chrono Cross's plot is orders of magnitude more convoluted, tangled and not-really-confusing-but-it-tries-too-hard-to-seem-profound-ending-up-looking-retarded than the straight-forward Chrono Trigger.

Fixed that for you.

ElyrionX

LevityNYC said:

Oh yeah you're right. I posted that before I finished reading the review.

Fuu

Haha, because of the long white beard and same hilarious jump I always have fun thinking that the leader of Laruba village is some sort of Chancellor ancestor.

Ordered my import copy from videogamesplus.ca on Wednesday, it will be a great game to play over Christmas instead of waiting until February.
Ahh I can't wait!

Fuu said:
Got to
Zeal
and I can't seem to find much time to play. Sigh.

Anyone knows if the monster you train in the arena ever changes form or will it be a small Nu forever? Also, what's the criteria for him to return, is it the DS internal clock or you advancing in the game?

I'm wondering the same thing myself. I've been training my monster quite a bit, but he still has yet to evolve and I still only have the first three arena tiers open to me.

Fuu

Jugendstil said:
I'm wondering the same thing myself. I've been training my monster quite a bit, but he still has yet to evolve and I still only have the first three arena tiers open to me.
Have you sent the monster to train holding the item that "enhaces the possibility of a class change" or something? I'm thinking it's related to the monster elemental affinity (mine is shadow) but I'm not sure of the effects so I haven't used it. He also didn't learn any techs yet, what about yours?

Deku

Banned
Holy hell, haven't played this game for 10 years, since the Chronicles re-release and it's absoltuely gorgeous, probably even more so on the DS LCD in all its crisp bitmap glory.

I have forgotten how amazing this game was.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
From the Eurogamer Chrono Trigger Review:

Finally, there's a new ending that attempts to tie the story of Chrono Trigger and its inferior PlayStation sequel, Chrono Cross, closer together.

uh oh =P

(don't know if it has been posted)

Fuu

The Eurogamer review was already posted on this same page, without selective quoting.

Fuu

Saw on gamefaqs that the monster can learn techs when training on
12,000 BC
. I stopped playing when I got there so that's why mine didn't have any yet.

And apparently his return from training has to do with stuff you do in the game (fighting, advancing the plot, etc) and not with the DS internal clock. He does not return if you stay still at the arena.

Tamanon

Banned
Meier said:
I caved and bought it at $40 on Tuesday. I always have skipped the SE DS games due to that price but couldn't do it this time... sucks. I'm about 10 hours in since I have no other games to play.

All their other games are still $40 basically... it's really obnoxious and it most definitely prevents sales once the titles reach catalog status. I guess they want to keep them as a premium product in theory.

Eh the Square tax only exists to really bring back that old SNES spirit of overpriced games that never drop in price. I remembere buying Chrono Trigger for 60 or 70 bucks new.:lol

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
I'm a huge Chrono Trigger fan. It's the JRPG I have finished the most times and everytime I replay it I'm like OMGGREATESTGAMEEVAR. It's just an amazing title. I end up, worshipping some other game like RE4 or Fallout 3 and eventually it's back to CT and OMGGREATESTGAMEEVAR. It could simply be.

On the topic on Chrono Cross, the only way to eloquently express my opinion is this:

Chrono Cross fucking sucks. I had to say it sorry.

Now back to CT, don't even bother replying. Let's all talk CT with love and friendship.

Fuu

Duck Amuck said:
Chrono fucking Trigger in my pocket.
I'm in fact enjoying it much more in portable form. I could use an added suspend save function but still, it's great to have it wherever I go.

Top Bottom