• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger DS: The |OT|

Link1110

Fuu said:
I always say that in my next replay I'll name the characters with
their real names (Marle = Nadia, Robo = R66-Y, Frog = Glenn, Magus = Janus)
, but I end up never doing it.
Heh, like how I always rename Dagger to Garnet in FF9. Nothing happens, by the way.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Big-E said:
Anyone find this in a Canadian retail store yet? I went to BB and FS and they still don't have it in. It ain't even on their website. Fuck them.

I picked it up the day after release at EBGames.

kyrax12

I am at the part where you first went to the Ends of time.

But did anyone found the moment where you basically watch ROBO get the shit beaten out of him?

I mean for one minute you see robo getting beaten by six machines while the characters are just standing there.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Man, the Glenn/Cyrus flashback scenes still hit the right notes, just like I remember ten years ago. With "At the Bottom of the Night" playing in the background, damn. So good.

Picked this up yesterday. Unfortunately, Canadian EB (or at least mine) doesn't get the poster nor the soundtrack CD. I guess it'll have to do.

As always, I get sucked in every time I play, and I'm already at the End of Time. The DS-specific features are pretty neat, and I'm quite impressed to hear the soundtrack translated so faithfully. The only thing off are some sound effects, but this is present in both the PSX version and emulation. Oh well, I always have my SNES cart to go back to.

MoogPaul

How many tracks are on the soundtrack?

I'm not crazy about the renamed techs. And by not crazy I mean unexplainable pissed off about it.

Jiggy

Maybe I'm becoming more sentimental or something, but despite the umpteen times I've seen it already, watching the CT ending this most recent time made me shed a tear. Two, in fact.

Ah, that music...

Edit: I picked my preferred version of the "main" ending, which is
to leave Crono dead and kill Magus so that Lucca goes fangirl over Frog's human form and so that the adventure isn't quite over yet. Also saved Lara, but that's incidental
. But those things came before the credit roll, which is what really hit me pretty hard.

MoogPaul said:
I'm not crazy about the renamed techs. And by not crazy I mean unexplainable pissed off about it.

I shed a single tear for the passing of
Triple Raid
Confuse
can go to hell though, that one never made sense to me.

Shatai

Banned
aeolist said:
There's no slowdown or anything with this port is there?

Nope! It's, surprisingly, a perfect port (save for a few subtleties in sound effects, as noted by another poster).

MoogPaul

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
I shed a single tear for the passing of
Triple Raid
Confuse
can go to hell though, that one never made sense to me.

frenzy is for nancyboys, real men spincut.

Joei

I saw a copy at BestBuy earlier. I, like, knew the game was coming out on DS and all, but I sitll almost exploded in my pants when I saw it on the shelf. I almost bought it too. I just don't exactly have a DS to play it on though.

Jammy

Banned
Some re-named things I could go without... Some I'm indifferent with... Some I dislike.

All in all, the new translation is neither better nor worse. I like how it seems more fleshed out and clear-cut, but I also think it loses a tad bit of charm that the game originally had.

The extras and near-perfectness of the game put it over the top, though. Well worth $40. I just now got to Lavos Core. :D

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
The fact that they call them "strength capsules" now makes me understand why they used to be called "power tabs".

Jammy

Banned
Skittleguy said:
The fact that they call them "strength capsules" now makes me understand why they used to be called "power tabs".

I get the whole re-naming "tabs" to "capsules." It's changing thing's like Uzzi Punch to Rapid-Fire Fist that I miss.

MoogPaul

Jammy said:
I get the whole re-naming "tabs" to "capsules." It's changing thing's like Uzzi Punch to Rapid-Fire Fist that I miss.

not to mention the lameness that is "Frost Arc"

I actually had a tiny problem with the boss of
Mt. Woe
, which is weird because I usually don't have a porblem with anything in this game. I am playing with a different group than I usually do.
playing with Crono, Marle, Frog... usually play with Crono, Marle, Ayla. Falcon Hit + heals and hastes from Marle = Chrono Trigger Easy Mode.

Jiggy

I'm not sure whether you guys are making me want more to go back and remind myself what all the old tech names were, or more to not go back since ignorance might be bliss.

On a music note, I do know that I hate the renaming of "To Far Away Times" to "Outskirts of Time." Even though I'll never see that title in-game, it worries me that in the future S-E might start calling the song that. :/ The original title sounds like a journey, the new one a mere description or setting.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Jiggy37 said:
I'm not sure whether you guys are making me want more to go back and remind myself what all the old tech names were, or more to not go back since ignorance might be bliss.

On a music note, I do know that I hate the renaming of "To Far Away Times" to "Outskirts of Time." Even though I'll never see that title in-game, it worries me that in the future S-E might start calling the song that. :/ The original title sounds like a journey, the new one a mere description or setting.
Rita2.gif

MoogPaul

I also seem to be having a problem with money in this version; a problem I don't ever remember having before. Anyone else notice something to this effect?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
jett said:
Sweet jesus those arranged tracks from the bonus CD are really good...
Great stuff. The way too small bit of Frog's theme on the Medley track is such a fucking cocktease, oh my god....

The first time I heard it, my heart actually did a little flutter. Then I was pissed because it ended like 4 seconds later.

Scarecrow

Rentahamster said:
Great stuff. The way too small bit of Frog's theme on the Medley track is such a fucking cocktease, oh my god....

The first time I heard it, my heart actually did a little flutter. Then I was pissed because it ended like 4 seconds later.
That should be a crime. Frog's theme is my favorite. I keep re-watching his mesamune cutscene.

I'm at Zeal now... loving the music here, too.

Rentahamster said:

I was wondering why that part of the medley didn't ring any bells for me. It's because it was the element of Frog's Theme that we NEVER hear in the actual game. Magus' battle theme was what I clicked to.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
kyrax12 said:
I am at the part where you first went to the Ends of time.

But did anyone found the moment where you basically watch ROBO get the shit beaten out of him?

I mean for one minute you see robo getting beaten by six machines while the characters are just standing there.
You can
move Crono
in that scene.

mr_nexus

Banned
I bought the game on Thursday and was glued to it all weekend. I couldn't put it down for more than 10 minutes before starting it up again. I'm already passed Zeal and I'm doing the sidequests now. I don't usually get obsessed over games like this but Chrono Trigger is sex in it's purest form. After I'm finished this I may start playing Chrono Cross again, screw the haters.:D

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jiggy37 said:

it was called that on this album:
ChronoTriggerBrinkOfTimeFront.jpg

which was released in 1995 and arranged by mitsuda

Vargas

I just got my version. I haven't played the game since the Chronicles re-release so I hope I remember the locations of all the tabs.

Gato

Banned
Random observations from my replay (I haven't played this game since 2000 on the SNES).

1. Is it just me or did their stomachs used to grumble (On the SNES) when they would use those sleep chambers in the future to refill HP/MP (but you're still hungry ..etc.)?

2. It seems their is added facial expressions to the character sprites. (ex. Marle getting shocked and having her jaw drop)

I'm currently in 65,000,000 B.C. trying to rebuild the Masamune for Frog. I'm glad the difficulty wasn't effed with. It seems just right.

Kletian

The new translation is bugging the hell out of me.

Frog's non-accent (it gave him character dammit!)

The whole scene after fighting the security robot and getting the seed.
Doan: "You guys look different than the rest of us"
Marle: "it's because we're HEALTHY" (not 'we have hope' dammit)
Doan: "Healthy eh? it's got a nice ring to it"
Child: "What's that?"
Doan: "It just may be our future!"

and renaming the techs was competely unnessecary, what was wrong with just Antipode? Why'd we have to stick Bomb at the end of it.

edit:
Gato said:
Random observations from my replay (I haven't played this game since 2000 on the SNES).

1. Is it just me or did their stomachs used to grumble (On the SNES) when they would use those sleep chambers in the future to refill HP/MP (but you're still hungry ..etc.)?

2. It seems their is added facial expressions to the character sprites. (ex. Marle getting shocked and having her jaw drop)

I'm currently in 65,000,000 B.C. trying to rebuild the Masamune for Frog. I'm glad the difficulty wasn't effed with. It seems just right.

Yes they did use to grumble. It seems with the new version they did a few things to make it not seem as bleak and depressing in the future as it should be. Between this and the restanslation I stated above seems to have taken some of the atmosphere out of the future timeline. At least to me anyway.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Gato said:
4udt94.gif

This one, right? It's an old sprite.

Volcynika

Gato said:

I'm pretty sure that you're right on that one.

Magnus

I remember 'hope' in that scene with Marle and Doan, but the whole bit about being "Health-y?! Has a nice ring to it!" was definitely in the old game. I haven't played the DS version yet and I remember those lines.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Segata Sanshiro said:
Stomach still grumbles. Use headphones.

I've been using headphones and the grumble doesn't sound quite the same to me. It sounds more like digital distortion then the sort of bassy, almost vocalized noise that's there on the SNES version

Stumpokapow said:
I've been using headphones and the grumble doesn't sound quite the same to me. It sounds more like digital distortion then the sort of bassy, almost vocalized noise that's there on the SNES version
Didn't say it sounded the same, but it is still there. Some of the sounds didn't come off right, just like the PSX version.

acidviper

Banned
jon bones said:
Quick question: Can you rename your characters when you play a New Game+?
Yes

OMFG the new dungeon sucks balls. You get some decent items Haste hat, but otherwise its a retarded fetch quest.

I finally got my copy in the mail. Thanksgiving week screwed me, so I'm a little later then everyone else. Today will be hell though, I have to make it through 6 more hours of work with a terrible cold/flu and Chrono Trigger just begging to be played.

Jiggy

Stumpokapow said:
it was called that on this album:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b49/zmajche/ChronoTriggerBrinkOfTimeFront.jpg

which was released in 1995 and arranged by mitsuda
I stand corrected. Although, looking over Google, I'm now surprised I've never seen that name for the song before...

acidviper said:
[in the new dungeon] You get some decent items Haste hat, but otherwise its a retarded fetch quest.
More like 21.73 fetch quests all in one. D: And I'm not even done with it yet.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
acidviper said:
Yes

OMFG the new dungeon sucks balls. You get some decent items Haste hat, but otherwise its a retarded fetch quest.

Holy shit this extra content is a joke. I'm not done yet, but this gigantic fetch quest is quite possibly more retarded than the the Triforce hunt.

Still playin' though. 'Cuz it's Chrono Trigger.

acidviper

Banned
Rentahamster said:
Holy shit this extra content is a joke. I'm not done yet, but this gigantic fetch quest is quite possibly more retarded than the the Triforce hunt.

Still playin' though. 'Cuz it's Chrono Trigger.
I gave up after the fucker said c'mon back every once in a while. Its a the fucking end of the game. When is he going to finish.

Also nice of game designers to have a convoluted maze and useless enemies that always come back. WTF I can deal 4000 damage but it still takes 10 minutes to get up and 10 minutes to get back down. My Rainbow for an EXIT spell.

Top Bottom