• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger DS: The |OT|

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Teknoman said:
Tyrano Castle! Thats what it's called. Always liked that theme.
For some reason, in my head the Tyrano Castle theme is the organ intro to Ozzy Osbourne's "Mr. Crowley."

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Metroidvania said:
Alright, sign me up as one of the supporters for "The Lost Sanctum sucks" side.

I'm never going up and down that mountain again.

Another option for the golem twins is to use the (insert color)Vests/plates. they absorb 50/100% of the attack cast, that you get by opening the "mysterious locked" chests or charming from some enemies.
Golems are easy; use Frog, Marle and Crono, and spam Frost Arc like it's nobody's business. Their ice attacks are pathetic damage on Frog and Marle (innate frost/water resist) and just put up a magic resist barrier item on Crono to keep damage on him low. If you don't have Frost Arc, just use Ice Sword.

Angry Grimace

firehawk12 said:
Does the game have a "flash save" feature like the FF DS games? Or do you have to save at a save point/overworld?
The save function is identical to the SNES release.

My personal thought on "Flash Saves" is that you already have one; close the DS and it goes to sleep for an indefinite period of time. I've left it in sleep mode for days and been fine.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
My battery doesn't last that long on standby anymore unfortunately... I kind of wish they implemented that feature, but I guess that's why this is a port and not a remake.

Drakken

Man, the beasties in the
Sunken Desert
(sidequest) do some serious damage. They're easily dispatched with the Delta Storm triple tech, but I was surprised at how powerful they are. As for the boss, taking out the heart is easy enough, but I can't get much damage on him after that. My attacks either miss or only do something like 20 damage. And it doesn't matter whether I use magic or physical attacks. After dying twice, I decided to move on to the Undersea Palace and attempt that sidequest again later on in the game.

ConsumerSquare said:
How did random battles survive post-Chrono Trigger? Sometimes I catch myself getting tense while exploring because I'm so conditioned to have it ruined by a jarring battle transition.

Haha, me too! It's so nice to be able to walk around as much as I want without worrying about being interrupted by random battles.

Blackjack

Jimmy Stav said:
Is Chrono/Ayla/Robo the best team? It certainly seems that way. Only problem is, they kind of suck for story dialogue.
Pretty much any team is entirely viable, since the game isn't terribly difficult. That seems like it would be one of the upper tiers, though, yes.

Just finished this version of the game. Still an amazing game

I never played the PS1 version, so I don't know if these anime stuff was in those or not, but it was a bit weird seeing how buff everyone looked in them.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I've delayed replaying DS version, partly because I'm the kind who saves the big beefy goodness to last, or at least until I feel ready to savour it properly. Kinda hard when you're not a teenager/student anymore.

and part of me wonders if nostalgia clouds will part and I'll be left with a once awesome game which now feels dated and abit dull.

whats the consensus GAF? still the greatest JRPG or what? :D

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
It was never the greatest JRPG, IMHO, but after just wrapping up my first replay in over a decade, it's just as fucking awesome as ever it was! Better, what with the kickass new translation!

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Mejilan said:
It was never the greatest JRPG, IMHO, but after just wrapping up my first replay in over a decade, it's just as fucking awesome as ever it was! Better, what with the kickass new translation!

oh come on, you'll have to tell me what is now ;) FF6 is the only one pushing it imo...

Bluth54

Drakken said:
Man, the beasties in the
Sunken Desert
(sidequest) do some serious damage. They're easily dispatched with the Delta Storm triple tech, but I was surprised at how powerful they are. As for the boss, taking out the heart is easy enough, but I can't get much damage on him after that. My attacks either miss or only do something like 20 damage. And it doesn't matter whether I use magic or physical attacks. After dying twice, I decided to move on to the Undersea Palace and attempt that sidequest again later on in the game.
You have to use water or ice magic on that boss to lower his defenses.

kaizoku said:
and part of me wonders if nostalgia clouds will part and I'll be left with a once awesome game which now feels dated and abit dull.

whats the consensus GAF? still the greatest JRPG or what? :D

As good as ever, mostly. I mean, compared to the SNES game I know enough now to semi-speedrun it without paying too much attention, but aside from the story - which plays a little shallow when you know where to go and what to do ahead of time - it's still a marvel of gameplay. The updated UI helps, sure, but the same game design we saw on the SNES is still remarkably friendly and current when you throw it up against the FF DS remakes, Tales series, hell even Lost Odyssey and whatnot.

I think a lot of it boils down to the battle system and the design decisions made at the time. Things like fighting on the same screen you travel in are dated for Chrono Trigger but missing pieces everywhere else. And the combat system is pretty simple, but because of that it's also fun and accessible. There is complexity, but not enough to make you save every 10 minutes.

Blah blah blah, anyway, what can I say? Chrono Trigger still rocks. About the only thing I didn't like were those useless new dungeons.

Mejilan

kaizoku said:
oh come on, you'll have to tell me what is now ;) FF6 is the only one pushing it imo...

Final Fantasy VI, Phantasy Star IV, and Valkyrie Profile easily defeat it, IMHO. I'd probably give the nod to some of the Dragon Quests too, such as III and IV, but I realize that DQ is way too conservative for some. Grandia and the two Lunars also fair pretty well against Chrono Trigger, IMHO. I could probably name a few more if I kept on thinking about it.

Grecco

No FF6 does not "easyly beat" CT

Anyways.... Giga Gaia is kicking my ass for some reason. I feel dumb. Anybody have some suggestions?

Mejilan

Grecco said:
No FF6 does not "easyly beat" CT

Bloody hell, if you're going to partially quote two of my words, please don't spell both wrong!
And clearly, in my opinion, you're wrong. ;p

Mejilan

No, your point doesn't stand, because opinions can't be disproved.
But yes, you are wrong, because "defeat" is not spelled B-E-A-T. Sorry.

So I've beaten/defeated the new boss and it looks like the story continues. Should I go play Chrono Cross now? And how?

I could play it on a PS2 on my 40" LCD but I'm affraid it'll look terrible. So, how about on the PSP, is that possible?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
GKFLSJDkFL
This "Iron Maiden" bullshit is ridiculous. I can barely scratch it and all of my magic heals it? Wtf.

Mejilan

Notorious_Roy said:
So I've beaten/defeated the new boss and it looks like the story continues. Should I go play Chrono Cross now? And how?

I could play it on a PS2 on my 40" LCD but I'm affraid it'll look terrible. So, how about on the PSP, is that possible?

I'm playing it on my PSP now. Amazing how fucking slow the game is.

So I got this for my birthday the other day. It's just as awesome as I remember.

The only thing that disappointed me was the font of the text. I want the classic font!

My team usually consists of Crono for general attack and lightning, Frog for healing attacking and his awesome plot points, and a mix between Ayla, Lucca, or Robo.

Mejilan said:
Final Fantasy VI, Phantasy Star IV, and Valkyrie Profile easily defeat it, IMHO. I'd probably give the nod to some of the Dragon Quests too, such as III and IV, but I realize that DQ is way too conservative for some. Grandia and the two Lunars also fair pretty well against Chrono Trigger, IMHO. I could probably name a few more if I kept on thinking about it.

If you think DQIV is better than Chrono Trigger, then you are out of your damn mind.

Forkball

Wait... question about after the Black Omen

Ok so I beat the Black Omen and Lavos. The game ended, and the dimensional vortex showed up. So I try to go there, but the guy at the end of time says go through the bucket and fight Lavos. Didn't I just beat him? Do I need to fight him AGAIN? Is it a different battle? Should I just skip it and go for the dimensional vortex?

Swordian

Forkball said:
Wait... question about after the Black Omen

Ok so I beat the Black Omen and Lavos. The game ended, and the dimensional vortex showed up. So I try to go there, but the guy at the end of time says go through the bucket and fight Lavos. Didn't I just beat him? Do I need to fight him AGAIN? Is it a different battle? Should I just skip it and go for the dimensional vortex?

He will always say that and yes you can fight him again. Just go to the Dimensional Vortex.

gdt

Just picked up the game.

Can I switch between Classic and (? not remembering the other mode right now) within the game?

I've beat the game before, how does the new touch screen mode feel?

At the top of this page (I have 100 post per) the poster (with the Morrisey avatar) mentioned something about this game not having standy. Is that true?

Cioran

gdt5016 said:
Just picked up the game.

Can I switch between Classic and (? not remembering the other mode right now) within the game?

I've beat the game before, how does the new touch screen mode feel?

At the top of this page (I have 100 post per) the poster (with the Morrisey avatar) mentioned something about this game not having standy. Is that true?

You can switch between classic and new. I like the touch screen mode, it reduces clutter on the main screen and remains unobstrusive - it just gives the option of touch-activated shortcuts and the like.

The game supports standby (don't all DS games do?), you just can't save anywhere (it still works with save spots).

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Quick question:
do i have to do anything special to get magus on my team? i'm right up to the fight with him (beat ozzie)

jon bones said:
Quick question:
do i have to do anything special to get magus on my team? i'm right up to the fight with him (beat ozzie)
No, not at this point in the game. You'll know when the time is right, and you'll be offered the choice.

Ourobolus

Banned
Well, plowed through the main game (up to the Black Omen) in about 10 hours. I still have the SNES cart, but I really wanted to see the new stuff. So far, pretty underwhelmed.

The Lost Sanctuary stuff is such bullshit. Yeah, you can get some neat items, but fuck me...fetch quest after fetch quest after fetch quest, all along an area that's not the easiest level to traverse. I of course fucked up killing the Wonder Rock, but other than that it's going ok.

Regardless, still a phenomenal game. I'm looking forward to getting all of the endings again. :lol

Ourobolus

Banned
Teetris said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAXPAiThQiM&feature=channel

I just stumbled across this. Anyone checked this before? It's totally how I envisioned a remake would sound. So fucking AMAZING. He has some pretty sweet FF songs too.

Btw, currently doing the sidequests. Some are pretty hard. Do any of them trigger different endings?
I'm not sure about the new sidequests (probably not, though), but the six (seven?) major sidequests don't affect the ending at all. The only thing that affects the ending is when you decide to fight Lavos on a New Game+.

Torquill

Ourobolus said:
I'm not sure about the new sidequests (probably not, though), but the six (seven?) major sidequests don't affect the ending at all.
Not true. At least one small element of one does.
Saving Luca's mother's legs.

Snaku

Banned
Finally picked this up. Best Buy has it on sale this week for $30; fuck you Square tax! :D

Easily my favorite RPG, and one of my favorite games period. Really happy with this port so far.

Snaku said:
Finally picked this up. Best Buy has it on sale this week for $30; fuck you Square tax! :D

Easily my favorite RPG, and one of my favorite games period. Really happy with this port so far.

Thanks for pointing that out, going to order if online.

sca2511

okay i didnt know where to post this, but to the point.

I have Final Fantasy Chronicles (which has Chrono Trigger) for PS1 and was wondering if there is bad lag in the game since its disc based? If there is lag, if I put it into my PSP would the lag still be present?

sca2511 said:
okay i didnt know where to post this, but to the point.

I have Final Fantasy Chronicles (which has Chrono Trigger) for PS1 and was wondering if there is bad lag in the game since its disc based? If there is lag, if I put it into my PSP would the lag still be present?
The PS1 port is atrocious, almost to the point of being unplayable because of slowdown. I wouldn't know about ripping it to the PSP, but I imagine it wouldn't fix the problem that much.

So I have the ps1 version because i wanted the cutscenes. does the ds version have them? i havent even gotten a chance to play it but you guys are saying that the ps1 version sucks???

TrAcEr_x90 said:
So I have the ps1 version because i wanted the cutscenes. does the ds version have them? i havent even gotten a chance to play it but you guys are saying that the ps1 version sucks???
The DS version has all the PSone cutscenes, in addition to the new content. It's pretty much the definitive version at this point, as long as you don't mind playing on a handheld.

And yes, the PSone version sucks. Sorry.

Top Bottom