• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger DS: The |OT|

Snaku said:
Finally picked this up. Best Buy has it on sale this week for $30; fuck you Square tax! :D

Easily my favorite RPG, and one of my favorite games period. Really happy with this port so far.

Amazon has it for $30 as well with free shipping (and possibly no tax depending on where you live)! [/stolen from CAG]

Ourobolus

Banned
Torquill said:
Not true. At least one small element of one does.
Saving Luca's mother's legs.
Ah, yeah. Forgot about that. Regardless, that's still very minuscule. I guess you could also count
getting a ton of cats
as affecting the ending too, then.

Hey everyone so I talked about this in the LBP thread but I wanted you guys to join in too.

I am making a Chrono Trigger themed level in LBP and I was wondering what scenes from the game you guys would most want to see in a level. I have already made
the Millennial Fair and Death Peak

Wii Will Rock U said:
Hey everyone so I talked about this in the LBP thread but I wanted you guys to join in too.

I am making a Chrono Trigger themed level in LBP and I was wondering what scenes from the game you guys would most want to see in a level. I have already made
the Millennial Fair and Death Peak
Underwater staircase of scripted encounters?
Ozzie's traps, both the first time when you fight and his actual palace?

ksimm

Just preordered from Gameplay, as it comes with a free limited edition audio CD!

Composed by game music icon Yasunori Mitsuda, the CD contains very special orchestral versions of themes from the original soundtrack both acclaimed by critics and fans around the world.

Also contained are liner notes written by the composer outlining a brief history of the product and its musical heritage.

MmMmMm

ksimm said:
Just preordered from Gameplay, as it comes with a free limited edition audio CD!

MmMmMm

If it's the same one that came with U.S. preorders, it's alternately excellent and terrible. Excellent because the orchestral versions sound great, but terrible because it only contains two tracks and you'll probably be left wanting more. Still a neat bonus though.

Magnus

Finished this again for the first time in like 7 years on the DS yesterday, and finished up all the DV + new final boss stuff today. Man. I fucking love this game like no other. I want more, more! DV/Lost Sanctum weren't enough, I fucking want more!

I'm glad the new final boss
had something to do with the existing plot instead of just being completely irrelevant. It's a shame not much happened though -- just tied the Schala/Lavos combo into CT to make the Time Devourer's appearance in CC more plausible and concrete, I guess.

It's a shame it wasn't too much of a challenge with characters close to Level 60. I love that the game doesn't require any grinding/levelling really though; you can just motor through and fight each succeeding boss with some challenge intact, especially if you skip what normal battles you're able to. But yeah, with some grinding, the entire game can just become way too easy.

This game reminds me how awesome some 16-bit music could be; Ocean Palace, man, so awesome. And most of the Lavos boss fight music is just unspeakably awesome. Good stuff.

There better be another Chrono game on the horizon if sales do well. Things can't end with CC.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Picked the game up today (now released in EU!), but man, I don't know if I should play or not. I'm in the middle of Persona 4 and I've got a huge backlog of other games I've put aside right now :/

itsinmyveins

Fireblend said:
No, it is. Play it.

I can say, straight up, that I don't think this game's gonna stand a chance against Persona 4. Maybe if I played it when it originally came out and I was kinda into J-RPG's and didn't see them as (mostly) rehashes of the same formula. I'm sure I'll enjoy the game, but I doubt I'll prefer it over Persona 4.

Red Scarlet

How much farther do you have in Persona 4? If you're almost done with P4, just play CT when you finish P4..if you are feeling a bit burnt out on P4 and want a quick weekend break, play CT and finish it this weekend, then go back to P4 on Monday (CT is short).

itsinmyveins

Red Scarlet said:
How much farther do you have in Persona 4? If you're almost done with P4, just play CT when you finish P4..if you are feeling a bit burnt out on P4 and want a quick weekend break, play CT and finish it this weekend, then go back to P4 on Monday (CT is short).

The thing is, I'm kinda slow when it comes to J-RPGs. Sometimes I'll only play a few hours a week, and sometimes a lot. It all depends on whether or not I'm in the mood to play them. Right now I've spent 40-50 hours on Persona 4 (and that's since december), and I haven't gotten to the summer vacation yet.

A big reason for it taking so long for me is that I often play other games in between which are shorter (less than ten hour games that I usually play through in a sitting or two, probably because that seems more feasible than with longer RPGs). And right now I do want to play both Persona 4 and Chrono Trigger. But here I am, with my feet on the couch next to the computer, chatting away on GAF and somewhat watching some crappy movie on TV :p

B.K.

ItsInMyVeins said:
I can say, straight up, that I don't think this game's gonna stand a chance against Persona 4.

It'll blow Persona 4 away. Persona 3 and 4 are two of the worst JRPGs ever. Chrono Trigger is one of the best, even 14 years after the original release.

Red Scarlet

B.K. said:
It'll blow Persona 4 away. Persona 3 and 4 are two of the worst JRPGs ever. Chrono Trigger is one of the best, even 14 years after the original release.

He likes P3 and P4 though, so that won't really help him play CT.
or, you're doing it wrong

B.K. said:

I really feel sorry for everyone who comes here for game recommendations and play Persona 3 thinking it's going to be some sort of mind blowing experience. It's a dungeon crawl grafted onto a dating sim, no more, no less. I enjoyed Persona 3 and think Persona 4 improves on it in almost every way, but it's probably the last JRPG I would ever recommend to anyone. And yes, Chrono Trigger would be the first I'd recommend. Also, it's a portable game now. You can play it while playing another game, it's not the biggest time investment. You can play for 15-20 minutes to spare and make decent progress because every aspect of it moves faster than modern RPGs.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Just got to 12,000 BC and this game continues to charm the pants off me. Right up there with FFIX as one the most endearing RPG experiences I've had.

yeah it's awesome. just wanna get a pacing check: about how far into the game am I at about 10 hours, having just killed Magus after going through that incredibly long castle?

SkySonata

Banned
My playthrough of the DS version is going slowly. Every time I reach the overworld, I want to set the DS down, listen to the music, and take a nice nap.

SkySonata said:
My playthrough of the DS version is going slowly. Every time I reach the overworld, I want to set the DS down, listen to the music, and take a nice nap.

yea, the music is so nice! there's a particular theme, i think it's frogs? that has a great sound.

SkySonata

Banned
I'm downloading a bunch of Chrono Trigger remixes from ocremix....... any of them Frogs' theme? I'd realllllllllllly like to listen to that in the morning.

(downloading these songs to listen to them as I sleep)

*Proud chrono trigger nerd*

and you still have a long way to go. Savor it!!!!!!!

MattNY

I picked this up, but haven't played it yet due to the fact I just played through the SNES version for about the 20th time this past summer.

Is there enough new stuff to motivate me to play it again already?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The new translation (which is fucking ace), was my primary draw. There's a shitty monster-raising and battling feature added to this port, as well as 3 new dungeons and 2 new dungeon-related scenarios added to the mix, but they range from merely ok to flat-out bad. The extra content results in a slew of new weapons, armors, and accessories (including new ultimate equipment for almost everyone), half a dozen or so new bosses, 1 new ultimate boss, and 1 new (totally different) ending. It's registered as ending #13 in the log.

On that note, I guess the most "official" endings would be either #1 (returning) or #13 (new). My vote goes towards the defendant, #1.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
SkySonata said:
I'm downloading a bunch of Chrono Trigger remixes from ocremix....... any of them Frogs' theme? I'd realllllllllllly like to listen to that in the morning.

(downloading these songs to listen to them as I sleep)

*Proud chrono trigger nerd*

and you still have a long way to go. Savor it!!!!!!!

To this date, I have not found a remix that does justice to that theme, and I've looked.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
just beat this yesterday. i didn't think the sort of endgame sequence was that great relative to the rest of the game but still so dope. got ending #1. think i had a pretty unique crew, likely due to my sort of haphazardly putting them together--Frog, Lucca, and Marle.

might start a new game+ and go for a new ending. any specifically interesting way to tackle the second playthrough?

Mejilan

You can get the new ending (#13) on your first play-through, if you'd like. It's not a NG+ exclusive.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
that's cool i never saw the original one anyway. any recommendations for the most best way to tackle the second playthrough (after a fairly straightforward first)

Mejilan

There's not much to a NG+. You keep your levels and most of your equipment, so the entire game becomes a cakewalk. They spinkle brand new portals here and there that you can use to fight the last boss early. (You can also use the bucket at the End of Time to tackle the last boss whenever you want, once you get to the End of Time). Fighting the boss in such out-of-sequence fashion at every new opportunity will net you the rest of the endings.

Phthisis

BorkBork said:
To this date, I have not found a remix that does justice to that theme, and I've looked.

Sacratus Bellator by GrayLightning.

You can get the new ending (#13) on your first play-through, if you'd like. It's not a NG+ exclusive.

How do you do this, exactly? I haven't found a sufficient explanation yet.

Mejilan

Progress far enough into the game to open up the 2 Lost Sanctum locations and 3 Dimensional Vortex locations. Beat all 5 of these new areas, including the new boss encounters. Return to the End of Time. The dude there should tell you that a new location is accessible via the bucket. Accessing that new option via the bucket will take you to a new last boss. Beat it and voila, ending #13.

Just finished my first ever playthrough of this game last night and I'm very happy that the game lived up to the high praise it gets. The amazing music really ties the plot and gameplay together emotionally. I love the fact that I don't have to grind or even use every character since the inactive members gain EXP as well.

I do have a question about the triple techs though. I think I've unlocked ~95% of all techs so far, with a couple triple techs in that 5%. I believe somebody mentioned earlier in the thread that every threesome including Chrono (but w/o the secret optional character) has a triple tech. Is it random when the triple tech is learned? Or are they unlocked after accumulating a certain number of (hidden) TPs? I ask because I've already unlocked all the single techs and thus I'm not being told about earning TPs in battle anymore. Am I still gaining TPs despite not being prompted about them?

Mejilan

If the game is not reporting any more TP gains, then you aren't accumulating any more.
Dual and Triple Techs are nothing more than the combination of 2 (or 3) specific skills/spells into one powerful move. As such, opening them up is as simple as putting the 2 (or 3) relevant characters into the party and fighting one battle. If it's the right combination of party members AND all of them have the relevant skills/spells, then you're good to go.

Throughout the adventure, you'll be able to find special rocks (white rock, gold rock, etc.) that when equipped on the right person, will unlock special, bonus Triple Techs. The usual requirements (right characters, right skills/spells) apply to these as well, with the addition of the special rocks as a new requirement.

ltse1

I guess I need to grind...because
Lavos keeps killing me in one hit (the final one, after climbing into his shell).
I'm around level 37, where should I grind?

ltse1 said:
I guess I need to grind...because
Lavos keeps killing me in one hit (the final one, after climbing into his shell).
I'm around level 37, where should I grind?
Sounds like you haven't gone through the Black Omen. So... go through the Black Omen.

BitchTits

Does anyone have any advice for dealing with the boss that splits in two in the Lavos Beckons? My party keeps getting wiped out, I seem to spend every turn raising, just to have each one killed again.

I read a FAQ on GameFAQ that says it's easy since all it does is drop the iron spheres that half your life, but it also has a projectile balls attack that is the problem. :-?

BitchTits said:
Does anyone have any advice for dealing with the boss that splits in two in the Lavos Beckons? My party keeps getting wiped out, I seem to spend every turn raising, just to have each one killed again.

I read a FAQ on GameFAQ that says it's easy since all it does is drop the iron spheres that half your life, but it also has a projectile balls attack that is the problem. :-?

That's probably the hardest boss in the game for a first time player IMO. The trick is to use Lucca's sleep spell, it's highly effective against the Golem Twins. Also, equipping your party with fire resistant armor and having her spam fire spells works too.

BitchTits

baphometbones said:
That's probably the hardest boss in the game for a first time player IMO. The trick is to use Lucca's sleep spell, it's highly effective against the Golem Twins. Also, equipping your party with fire resistant armor and having her spam fire spells works too.
Hmmm. My party is Crono, Robo & Ayla - time for a re-think!

Top Bottom