• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger DS: The |OT|

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Metroidvania said:
Damn, there's a lot to do in this game.

Amazing so far, just wish I could have gotten
Schala
instead of the other "optional" member.

So do we all, then perhaps Chrono Cross would have...
Ah, nevermind.

MoxManiac

It's amazing how good the game looks on DS when the sprites and backgrounds are unmolested on a fixed pixel display. And the music sounds bang on when wearing headphones.

Love this port so far.

MoxManiac

Okay, so I appreciate them cleaning up the translation, but goddamit i wish they'd left lines alone that didn't need to be changed, like Lucca's "Ain't it the truth!"

Fuu said:
I was looking at some pics and got amused at how Chancellor looks like such a nice old guy in the artwork. :lol

33xwohu.jpg
:lol

Any links to where I could find all the Toriyama art?

Well I think I'm just about done the game. I've been enjoying it quite a bit but the end (at least I think so) is pretty annoying. The
boss gauntlet
is pretty frustrating.

Santa dropped the ball and failed to bring this to me, so I bought it my own damn self. I've been waiting for a re-release since my cart was permanently "borrowed." I was a little nervous that nostalgia had colored my opinion of this game, but it's just so so solid.

How did random battles survive post-Chrono Trigger? Sometimes I catch myself getting tense while exploring because I'm so conditioned to have it ruined by a jarring battle transition.

And the art! FFVI and CT are sort of the bookends of my SNES experience, and it's really quite impressive to compare them. FFVI is a lot like watching a puppet show where set pieces are artful approximations, if that makes sense, while CT really came into its own with images that stand on their own even today. The Trial, for example, hasn't aged at all.

Mejilan

Because random battles are still a valid, viable gameplay approach. Visible and/or avoidable battles (because the two do not always coincide) are merely another approach, not an evolution.

Variety is the spice of life.

That said, I'm wrapping up this game. I'm about to finish off the very last of the bonus dungeons/quests, and I guess after that comes the new last boss and the horrible new ending added to this port.

Mejilan

And I'm done. 4/13 endings on the first play through is definitely not bad, IMHO. The new ending #13... uuugh. 100% of items/techs/monsters found!

Awesome port. Very happy with it. I'll catch the remaining endings on a NG+ in a year or two.

Meier

Mejilan said:
And I'm done. 4/13 endings on the first play through is definitely not bad, IMHO. The new ending #13... uuugh. 100% of items/techs/monsters found!

Awesome port. Very happy with it. I'll catch the remaining endings on a NG+ in a year or two.
How can you get 4/13 endings? I only got 1. :( I did some of the things in the past too...
beat the flying fortress, found the rainbow shell, restored the forest with Robo's help..

This was my first time playing through and I absolutely loved it. I really want to play Chrono Cross now.

Teknoman

Wii Will Rock U said:
:lol

Any links to where I could find all the Toriyama art?

I'd like to know this too.

Also if its one thing I DONT like about games like CT and even Persona 4, its that you always have to leave someone behind. Especially when I like all the characters. As far as sound goes...sounds just fine to me through the DS speakers. Remember bringing something like this up before :lol

Kozmo

Sorry if this was mentioned earlier in this thread, but was Singing Mountain included? I unlocked the music track, but I never heard it in the game.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
It's used as the BGM of the snow level in one of the dimensional vortexes.

Since I enjoy games that primarily use the stylus, I'm trying my best to get used to the touch screen controls. It's a bit tricky, though, during combat.

Anyone else using the new control method?

Mejilan

Meier said:
How can you get 4/13 endings? I only got 1. :( I did some of the things in the past too...
beat the flying fortress, found the rainbow shell, restored the forest with Robo's help..

This was my first time playing through and I absolutely loved it. I really want to play Chrono Cross now.

Doing sidequests, destroying the Epoch, and certain in game decisions all tweak most of the various endings. But to specifically get different endings, it's almost always about WHEN (in the story) you fight Lavos. If you (over-)level enough, as I did, it's very possible to get more than 1 or 2 before you ever New Game +.

But to answer your question specifically, these are the four endings I got, in the order I got them:
- Killing Lavos in the story fight you're supposed to lose that would normally kill Chrono.
- Killing Lavos at any point after that and before restoring Chrono to life.
- Killing Lavos towards the end of the game after restoring Chrono to life.
- Killing the Dream Devourer (new, bonus final final boss) after completing the Lost Sanctum and Dimensional Vortices content added to the DS port. This boss and ending is exclusive to the DS game.

There are plenty more to be had (9 more unique recorded endings, not including tweaks/variants) but most of those basically require a New Game +, for a variety of reasons.

As of tomorrow morning, I'll be replacing my DS + Chrono Trigger commute-to-work companions with my PSP + Chrono Cross. :)

OKAY, I finally found a problem with this port:

The echoing of sound effects in Magus's lair. It's not there! WTF is this crap Square, I want a refund!

eh, I'm over it.

To stay on topic: random battles are awful, and you are a bad person if you like them. :D

Random bonus note: I'm actually playing with the new control scheme, but without using the stylus.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
dragonlife29 said:
I just started the game for the first time ever.

I opted for Classic mode.

Eh, I really think the improvements made were for the best. But you'll enjoy the game no matter how you decide to play it!

Mejilan

The differences between Classic vs. DS aren't in any way hugely game-changing. But that said, DS mode offers enough improvements and modernizations to make Classic mode basically obsolete and irrelevant, IMHO.

Torquill

Kozmo said:
Sorry if this was mentioned earlier in this thread, but was Singing Mountain included? I unlocked the music track, but I never heard it in the game.
It is played during certain parts of
The Dimensional Vortex

Teknoman

Mejilan said:
The differences between Classic vs. DS aren't in any way hugely game-changing. But that said, DS mode offers enough improvements and modernizations to make Classic mode basically obsolete and irrelevant, IMHO.

Pretty much. DS mode doesnt even make you use the touch screen. Map is handy, main screen being uncluttered along with all character info on one screen is always nice.

EDIT: Heh. Always liked Azala's theme. Not sure what the actual song name is since I just reached that section, but it always sounded so sinister to me.

OH and after hearing about FFXIII's seemingly Chrono Trigger meets Advent Children style battle system, i'd really like to see a third Chrono Universe (not really a sequel) game with that style battle system, Akira Toriyama's character designs and Yasunori Mitsuda composing. Level 5 Dragon Quest style cell shading too.

Forkball

I'm doing the Lost Sanctum right now. So far I'm not a fan of this area. The quest format is repetitive and it requires FAR too much backtracking. Example:

Middle Ages. In an earlier mission, you fought a Nu Mou. The same guy wants you to defeat another one, as he is clearly a fan of pallet swaps. Anyways, you go out of the village, through the southlands, and into the mountain area where you meet the Nu Mou and he runs away. So you chase after him, but the ladder is broken. So you have to haul your butt back to the village and talk to someone who mentions that you need to get some vines to repair it. So you go back to the southlands, get the vines, and then go back to the mountain. However, you can't repair it due to general incompetence I suppose, so you have to go all the way back out of the village and into the world map so you can go back to 65 Million BC. You then have to go through the vilage, southlands, and back to the mountain where you put your new bridge there so it can be used in the future. Then you go BACK through the southlands and the village, travel to the Middle Ages, and then through the village, southlands, and you can finally climb this bridge on a mountain. However the mountain has the most irregular path imaginable so you are constantly zig zagging through the area. There's a savepoint about halfway through. Anyways, when you get to the top of the mountain, YOU AUTOMATICALLY HAVE TO FIGHT THIS NU MOU GUY even though you had to trek up like half a mountain from the last save point and the game teases you with a save point directly behind this guy. After you beat him, you have to haul your ass back to the village to get your reward.

It's a serious departure from the rest of the game. Even though the game relies heavily on time travelling, there really isn't that much backtracking and when there is it's typically brief (
like getting the tools for the carpenters so they can repair the northern ruins and the sunstone fiasco
). I'll finish Lost Sanctum, but only begrudgingly.

Mejilan

The Lost Sanctum sucked. Hard.
The Dimensional Vortices are much more fun. I actually rather liked them, though if you want to see everything in each, and get everything, you'll need to replay them. That's due to their pseudo-randomized layout element.

Scarecrow

I'm surprised about how short the game is. I was taking my sweet time and did most if not all the sidequests, and was shocked when my playtime was only around 20 hours.

Drakken

My brother surprised me with this for Christmas (wasn't expecting it at all), which made me super happy, considering CT is my favorite game of all time. After switching back and forth between Classic mode and DS mode I settled on Classic, as I much prefer having everything on one screen.

Initially I was a bit slow in playing this, as I don't really play RPGs anymore (I don't play games much at all for that matter due to the time they take up), but I quickly got sucked in. This game is just as much as fun as I remember it being all those years ago; it really hasn't aged at all. I love how battles are initiated, dual and triple techs are awesome (esp. once you start getting really powerful ones), going back and forth between different time periods is cool, the music is amazing, etc. etc.

Right now I'm on the "The Hero Appears" chapter. I'm definitely a bit too leveled up, as I'm pretty sure bosses are falling much quicker than they should. That's partly because I went to
65,000,000 B.C.
and did a lot of fighting there before realizing that I couldn't do anything to advance the story there yet. Oh well.

Drakken said:
Right now I'm on the "The Hero Appears" chapter. I'm definitely a bit too leveled up, as I'm pretty sure bosses are falling much quicker than they should. That's partly because I went to
65,000,000 B.C.
and did a lot of fighting there before realizing that I couldn't do anything to advance the story there yet
. Oh well.

I've done that too. I spent so much time there (still leveling up though) before I realized I wasn't even supposed to be there. :lol

Dreavus

Has anyone else played around with the Arena of Ages at all? I started "training" a monster as soon as I reached the End of Time and you can win some pretty good stuff. So far my guy has changed class twice: First he changed into an Ogen (think one of those beast-like guys with the hammers) and then into a Flesh Reaper (looks like one of those floating skeletons with a scythe). He can now enter tier 5 matches... which has won me better weapons then what I can currently buy in any town right now, as well as even rarer stuff like Speed capsules and Magic capsules.

I haven't had a chance to try out actual multiplayer yet, but that's mostly because my buddies who have the game haven't done much with their creature yet... I would probably KO them in one hit. :lol

Javaman

Ugh. Stupid minigame in the fair. Do any of you have tips on how to beat the 80silver ticket minigame? It's the one where you have to throw coins up at the enemies.

Drakken

Javaman said:
Ugh. Stupid minigame in the fair. Do any of you have tips on how to beat the 80silver ticket minigame? It's the one where you have to throw coins up at the enemies.

I don't remember which one I started with, but don't start with the one in the middle - that could cause problems. Just go back and forth down the line hitting each one until Marle is almost into the fire and then quickly run over and hit the ... whatever it is you have to hit. Depending on how quickly the coins reappear, either go something like L M R M L M R (and so on) or R M L R M L (I think this is what I did). I would save on the world map before attempting it; that way you can reload your game if you mess up.

Has anyone noticed that parts of this game look darker than they should be? I just made it to the Apocalypse and during the vault sequence, things seemed particularly dark. When that one enemy that attacks when it senses motion performs an action, the screen seems to brighten for a moment to what I think it should look like.

Or maybe I'm just crazy.

Drakken

Whoa, I just saw a word I've never seen before. From one of the villagers in Truce (I believe):

"The cantrips of his fiends are nothing compared to what he wields."

That's a result of the new translation, right?

Jimmy Stav said:
Has anyone noticed that parts of this game look darker than they should be? I just made it to the Apocalypse and during the vault sequence, things seemed particularly dark. When that one enemy that attacks when it senses motion performs an action, the screen seems to brighten for a moment to what I think it should look like.

Or maybe I'm just crazy.
The brightening of the screen occurs in these areas (both dark and foggy) with most lightening and beam attacks. It also occurred in the SNES version.

SabinFigaro said:
The brightening of the screen occurs in these areas (both dark and foggy) with most lightening and beam attacks. It also occurred in the SNES version.

Hmm. The brighter version looked "right" for some reason.

Cheerilee

Dreavus said:
Has anyone else played around with the Arena of Ages at all? I started "training" a monster as soon as I reached the End of Time and you can win some pretty good stuff. So far my guy has changed class twice: First he changed into an Ogen (think one of those beast-like guys with the hammers) and then into a Flesh Reaper (looks like one of those floating skeletons with a scythe). He can now enter tier 5 matches... which has won me better weapons then what I can currently buy in any town right now, as well as even rarer stuff like Speed capsules and Magic capsules.

I haven't had a chance to try out actual multiplayer yet, but that's mostly because my buddies who have the game haven't done much with their creature yet... I would probably KO them in one hit. :lol
I dove into the Arena of Ages as soon as the game started. I wanted to earn money to buy Melchior's absurdly expensive Silver Sword at the start of the game.

Your initial Smidge can take out pretty much all his equals, but then there's this snake (Ouroboros) who's at least twice as strong as you. What I did was send my Smidge out for training, but reset (and load a backup save) if he came back as anything but a Smidge (because when you increase your class, so do your enemies). After a few rounds of training, I could beat the snake. Beating him seems to either get you stat-increase capsules, a useless Mop, or one of the new ultra-rare mirrors.

After winning weapons and armor from the Smidges, I was able to sell it and afford to get into Tier 2, and then Tier 3, where I got Crono a Thunder Blade (even better than the Silver Sword) and Titanium Vest, on top of several accessories like Silver Studs (which let you use 50% MP) and Berserker Rings (which made me nearly invincible through 600AD).

Now I'm at the End of Time and I went back in and I caved and let my monster evolve (I was tempted to leave him a Smidge so I'd have access to 100G stat-boost items). Now he can enter Tier 4 and win things like the colored Vests that heal you 50% of certain elemental attacks, and if I let him evolve again to get into Tier 5 he can win those colored Plates that heal 100%. I always loved those armors, so I think I'll take those over stat-boost items (which can be stolen/charmed later in the game).

Javaman said:
I always run over to the right icon at the start, and fire them off right-to left. Then run over to the right again and fire them right-to-left a second time, and then this second time around you keep going left and hit the button to save your friend. At this point, the two monsters on the right side are usually defeated, and you have a huge safety margin to finish things.

The 80-point game is the easiest one to win IMO, and IIRC it gives you the most
cat food
too. Biggs and Wedge sometimes make it impossible to do anything more than make a 1-in-3 guess, and one little slip can ruin the lengthy mimickry game.

Edit:
Drakken said:
I don't remember which one I started with, but don't start with the one in the middle - that could cause problems. Just go back and forth down the line hitting each one until Marle is almost into the fire and then quickly run over and hit the ... whatever it is you have to hit. Depending on how quickly the coins reappear, either go something like L M R M L M R (and so on) or R M L R M L (I think this is what I did). I would save on the world map before attempting it; that way you can reload your game if you mess up.
No, don't start with the middle one, or sweep back and forth. You spend too much time waiting for the icons to reappear unevenly that way. Just sweep one direction, and repeat with sweeping in that direction. I suggest right-to-left because it puts you in the right spot to save your friend and the last possible instant.

Joei

This is like the 100th time I have went through CT. I firmly believe that this is the greatest game of all time. Past, present, and future.

Javaman

Drakken said:

ruby_onix said:
No, don't start with the middle one, or sweep back and forth. You spend too much time waiting for the icons to reappear unevenly that way. Just sweep one direction, and repeat with sweeping in that direction. I suggest right-to-left because it puts you in the right spot to save your friend and the last possible instant.

Thanks guys! I got it on the first try going from right to left.

Fireblend

Banned
Gamecocks625 said:
I'm stuck at the Golem twins. They half everyone's HP at the beginning of the battle and copy every thing I throw at them. ugh.
Don't use physical attacks and have a character dedicated to healing and you should be fine.

Gamecocks625 said:
I'm stuck at the Golem twins. They half everyone's HP at the beginning of the battle and copy every thing I throw at them. ugh.
A couple of options, using the same technique, and that is to exploit one element. The easiest way to do this is to equip Ruby Vests and only use fire attacks. Ruby Vests are easily obtained from the Prehistoric Era, and Lucca should have Fire2 by now (right?).

The method I use for my initial playthrough is to charm Rainbow Helm's from Mudbeasts at the foot of Mount Woe, equip them and the White Plate (found in 1000AD after powering up the sealed chest in 600AD), and blast the Golem's with Crono's Luminaire. At this point, you should have Luminaire, especially after fighting Rubbles on Mount Woe. However, you may have not charmed the Mudbeasts, and they're definitely gone by now.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Alright, sign me up as one of the supporters for "The Lost Sanctum sucks" side.

I'm never going up and down that mountain again.

Another option for the golem twins is to use the (insert color)Vests/plates. they absorb 50/100% of the attack cast, that you get by opening the "mysterious locked" chests or charming from some enemies.

B.K.

Gamecocks625 said:

Make sure you have Frog and Marle in your party and that the Golems copy their ice attacks. The Golem's ice attacks are pathetically weak.

Awakened

Gamecocks625 said:
Aside from all the other fine methods posted above to defeat them, you can also simply use Lucca's Hypnotize. Hypnotize, attack, Hypnotize, attack...

Gamecocks625 said:
Well, you can beat the first one by spamming magic attacks so he can't get a word in edgewise. So ...

(don't use physical attacks, you'll kill us all!)

Awakened said:
Aside from all the other fine methods posted above to defeat them, you can also simply use Lucca's Hypnotize. Hypnotize, attack, Hypnotize, attack...

That's exactly what I did. Thanks for the help!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
finished this yesterday. what a lovely, lovely game. it always makes me sad when i play it, though, realizing that despite its quality this sort of game is essentially a relic and it's very likely nothing like it will ever be made again. bummer.

popped in chrono cross and i'm tackling that now. chroonnoooooooo

mjc

Well this is kinda stupid. I still haven't brought
Chrono back to life after he was killed by Lavos
, but I've been doing some adventuring without him. I decided to check out the Black Omen not knowing what would be waiting for me at the end of the dungeon. I fought through the
Queen's first form, the Mammoth Machine, and then the Queen's second form
no problem. I thought it would all the done with there but then she summons Lavos. Whaaaaaaat?!?! Is this one of the potential ending marks or something? I'm afraid to go any further to try and defeat Lavos at this point if it means I'm done with the game when I'm obviously not. Pretty stupid stuff right there, I just hope I can backtrack to the end of the dungeon to get the hell out of there.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
mjc said:
Well this is kinda stupid. I still haven't brought
Chrono back to life after he was killed by Lavos
, but I've been doing some adventuring without him. I decided to check out the Black Omen not knowing what would be waiting for me at the end of the dungeon. I fought through the
Queen's first form, the Mammoth Machine, and then the Queen's second form
no problem. I thought it would all the done with there but then she summons Lavos. Whaaaaaaat?!?! Is this one of the potential ending marks or something? I'm afraid to go any further to try and defeat Lavos at this point if it means I'm done with the game when I'm obviously not. Pretty stupid stuff right there, I just hope I can backtrack to the end of the dungeon to get the hell out of there.

Don't worry that's not the final Lavos fight. It's just the head and shell that was summoned when Crono died. You have to beat that shell no matter what..whether you go through the bucket or go to 1999 or go to the end of the Black Omen. You're not forced to go on to the final fight and can still do anything and everything in the game. There will be a time portal back to the end of time inside the shell. People do usually save the Black Omen for last though since they can just do Black Omen->Lavos->Lavos Core.

Top Bottom