• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger DS: The |OT|

Evlar said:
That honor goes to Yoshi's Island but Chrono Trigger is indeed beautiful. Chrono Trigger holds the prize for best 16-bit soundtrack though, and there's no real competition.

I think this, Link to the Past, and Mother 3 are some solid reasons that this style of 2D pixel game design should never die. So great.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
w1ndst0rm said:
Am I under leveled or is Magus supposed to utterly destroy me like that? I was in shock.

Are there "side missions" to do before I go back?

You mean in 600AD? There's a key to his spell casting.

Forkball

Just got the game. I'm at 600 AD for the first time. I've only played about an hour of Chrono Trigger before this, so I'm excited to experience the game for the first time. I'd be playing right now, but my DS needs to have its battery recharged, and I can't play it with the AC adapter plugged in because I left my adapter at the dorm, had to buy a crappy knockoff because I have a fat DS, and the cord is too short for me to play it with the AC adapter in it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
First-timer here. I've always been way more of a PC RPGer than a JRPGer, but I thought I'd pick this up for a long plane ride I have coming up considering how it's viewed as a classic. I thought I'd pick this up yesterday and play for an hour to just get a feel for the mechanics. I've made the mistake of trying a game for the first time on a plane before (ahem, Disgaea) and figured I'd get into the meat of the game first so I could parse through any issues I had with the mechanics ahead of time.

Lo and behold, I wound up playing for over six hours, and would have played for more had it not been 2 A.M. when I stopped. The game just seems to move along at a perfect pace. I'm a leveling whore in any RPG, but it was nice that I got all of the leveling I apparently needed in the couple times I got "stuck" (staircases I didn't see) and had to wander around. The writing is also quite enjoyable and on par with the Paper Mario translations, at least enjoyable enough for me to not mind walking around a town talking to everyone (the occasional rewards are nice too, however small).

The mechanics are interesting. I have to say that it felt like I had missed something in my first few battles. I was just mashing the A button so I didn't lose a split second attacking the early weak monsters. Though I've started using Techs and items as needed, I still feel like even when I know exactly what I want to do (e.g., dual tech+potion) monsters sneak in at least a shot or two on me while I'm selecting. Almost makes me wish I had hotkeys, har. But perhaps that's an intentional tradeoff. I know I can reduce the speed or go turn-based, but I'll leave it as it is since that would probably make the game too easy and mess up the pacing, at least for me.

Music is very good too. I'm not as nostalgic for old video-game tunes as many, but I almost never play my portables with the volume on, and I do for this one. The music does a great job of reinforcing the atmosphere.

An in-progress 9.4/10.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Nice impressions, Astrolad, I like reading what first timers think of this game. About the music, make sure you use headphones if you're not already.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Fuu said:
Nice impressions, Astrolad, I like reading what first timers think of this game. About the music, make sure you use headphones if you're not already.

Yes, I was butchering it by playing it through the speakers yesterday actually. Gah how I wish the DS had slightly better speakers.

AstroLad said:
Yes, I was butchering it by playing it through the speakers yesterday actually. Gah how I wish the DS had slightly better speakers.

Well, it's definitely on my in-law Christmas list. As for better speakers, I think the DSi is supposed to improve on that front. You're right though, I just use my iPod earphones most of the time as the DS Lite speakers aren't the greatest.

suikodan

Mejilan said:
I love reading first-timer impressions of games that I adore. :)

My gf is a new DS and RPG fan. We passed thru FF4 together and I'm offering her CT for her Christmas gift. I'm really excited about hearing her opinion of the game.

It's interesting how the perception of a game can change what one wishes to accomplish with it. I wouldn't dream of getting all of the endings back in the SNES days, no internal tracking or whatnot plus it was on the TV. With this DS version I can play Chrono Trigger wherever and I finally nabbed all of the endings. Now I don't know what to do besides max everybody's level out.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
My sister just got a second DS the other day, so I may end up stealing her old one just for this game, CT is definitely one of my all time 2D games.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
SabinFigaro said:
Weird nitpick: I just beat Magus, and I noticed that his Dark Matter tech doesn't make the "twinkling noise" before it finishes. It's hard to explain, but watch this and skip to 7:15 to see what I mean.

You know what that vid drives home?
I REALLY don't miss having the GUI on the same screen as the rest of the battle! :D

But yes, there are a few examples here and there of where they seemingly purposefully changed around/removed some sound effects. Not really use why, considering the care that was taken in porting the graphics and music so accurately.

I just saw the new
ending

I'm kinda confused though, would anyone like to share their thoughts?

More precisely, what did Magus forget and want to remember?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Just went back in time to
65,000,000,000,000 BC
and will now take a break from the game until my X-mas vacation :D

It'll be nice to complete this and Ace Attorney 3 while in boring ass Kentucky.

Oreoleo

Tathanen said:

Dude, it's the DS. I realize iPod headphones are mostly shit (Using some right now, coincidentally, despite the $100 set of headphones within arms reach of me), but the DS isn't exactly the gold standard in audio reproduction.

This game is reason enough to own a DS, but man oh man, where's my full 3d FFVI remake in the vein of the FF2 (US, I can't remember which that is in Japan) DS game?

Come on, Square! Milk it!

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
badrockjones said:
full 3d FFVI remake

Ew. You'd think a port like Chrono Trigger would finally convince people that ugly 3D ports don't need to happen....

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
if anything, i'd rather they remake some of the 3d psx final fantasies in 2d on ds! final fantasy 9 would be wonderful with chrono trigger's art style and zero load times.

The thing about FFVI is, I've played it in 2D plenty of times. I'd love to play through it again with a new look at that world, in 3D. With Chrono, oddly, it's the opposite. Call me crazy, but I think the World of Ruin stuff would be approximately 130% more awesome in 3D.

Edit: I agree that a 2D "demake" of FF9 for the DS would be rad, and would sell like gangbusters (if gangbusters are something that sell well).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Pretty far into it now I think, in Ocean Palace. Game really builds momentum nicely; I'm enjoying it even more now than after my first few hours, and the game flows quite well once you get familiar with all the different locations. Going back to open all the old chests and doors with the pendant was really a cinch. Bummed out that I can't level my techs anymore though.

Fuu

I've been doing the
Reptites
quests in the
Lost Sanctum
. CT is so much fun all the time.

"
Hairless apes!
"

"RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!"

:lol

Also, my monster in the arena is a Royal Guard now. I still have to get any outstanding rewards there, the items I'm getting at the end of the tier 4 battles are pretty standard stuff (like Lapis, etc. Not bad, but still...). At least the trust stat is raised when you battle.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
picked this up yesterday. it really is just a better game top to bottom than it was on snes. the translation is really nicely cleaned up, and the main screen is just so much less cluttered without the battle options and shit. i'm loving what a great job they did with it.

and call me a sucker, but that opening cinematic really made me want more chrono trigger/cross. how can anyone watch that and not see all the potential for a franchise?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
the funny thing is i play classic even though i never even played the original. i'm pretty comfortable with the y button though to flip the placement of the menus, second nature now.

Fuu

Speaking of buttons, I wish every game let me change what buttons do what, it seems older games had this option much more frequently than recent ones.

Instead of hammering the A button I've changed X for confirmations, Y for cancel and B for the menu. It may seem strange but more than once I've had the X (PS2) and A buttons getting busted in my controllers in the past (shared and still share them with visiting friends and brother after all), so since then I love changing the configuration (usually in RPGs, I did the same recently emulating Chrono Cross in the PSP) so I can give some work to the more ignored buttons.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
well it certainly still looks great, like chrono trigger always did. but there's something to be said for having a clean battle screen, especially for someone who's played it so many times before and will pick up on the minutiae that the remake tweaks.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
oh trust me, i'm in no position to comment on which is better or even the relative merits of the two. i just scanned the thread for impressions, picked one, and got used to it.

Fuu

I was looking at some pics and got amused at how Chancellor looks like such a nice old guy in the artwork. :lol

33xwohu.jpg

Torquill

SabinFigaro said:
Weird nitpick: I just beat Magus, and I noticed that his Dark Matter tech doesn't make the "twinkling noise" before it finishes. It's hard to explain, but watch this and skip to 7:15 to see what I mean.
I noticed the second he used it, hehe. That was always the first "oh shit" move an enemy used against me. WOndering if I was about to get wiped out.

The more I play CT the more I realize that it's most impressive achievement is probably it's pacing. I think that's what may set it apart so much from other RPGS.

I've never even seen that Chancellor artwork, I figured he would have the "fat" Toriyama character face. Of all the games I'd like to have an artbook for, this is one of them.

Mejilan

I basically cleared the game a few days ago. First (non-NG+) run-through, and got endings 1, 2, and 3. Having wrapped up all of the awesome, awesome, endgame sidequests, I'm working through the extra content added to this version. The Lost Sanctum is absolutely horrible. Basically 3 hours of non-stop backtracking and fetch-questing. I wouldn't even mind the fetch-questing so much if I wasn't stuck backtracking over the same 4 or 5 boring maps filled with the same pathetically easy enemy encounters.

Still, the Lost Sanctum is finally done. I've also just cleared the first of 3 Dimensional Vortices. So far, this is handled much better than the Lost Sanctum. 2 more to go, and I believe I open up the new, 13th ending.

Joei

I just got a DS lite for Christmas. I'll be picking this game up in a few days. Seriously can't wait to play it again with the new features, even if they have been considered so-so additions.

Ecto311

Searched and found nothing so here goes:

Im stuck in
the fuckin crane and cannot get out I moved the barrels but now nothing happens no matter how many buttons I push. Any ideas?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Anyone wants to fill me in on the added weapons in the DS version? What about the added area. I'm at
Magic Kingdom about to fight that monster that holds one of the guru's captured in ice.
Such a fine game.

Also, do your teammates grow in level while not active? I don't seem to remember that, do techpoints grow too?

Ecto311 said:
Searched and found nothing so here goes:

Im stuck in
the fuckin crane and cannot get out I moved the barrels but now nothing happens no matter how many buttons I push. Any ideas?
After you move the barrels you should be able to cross the assembly line. Just don't get caught by the crane.

Mejilan

Oh man, some of the new weapons, accessories, and armors are disgustingly overpowered. Chrono's TRUE Ultimate weapon basically looks like his old one (the Rainbow), but does even more damage and has like a 90% critical hit rate! Naaaaasty!

Non-party members gain about 75% of the exp per battle, but no TPs.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Mejilan said:
Oh man, some of the new weapons, accessories, and armors are disgustingly overpowered. Chrono's TRUE Ultimate weapon basically looks like his old one (the Rainbow), but does even more damage and has like a 90% critical hit rate! Naaaaasty!

Non-party members gain about 75% of the exp per battle, but no TPs.
Nice, thanks. How much damage would you be looking at with that sword at level 40ish?

Forkball

I'm loving the game so far. I'm in
13,000 BC
for the second time. I'm really enjoying the story and battle system so far. Still not sure what team I should use, and the story forcing me to use certain characters prevents me from trying out all the teams. But it's nice to have so many options.

Though I must admit that I hate
2300 AD. Every little damn place is so labyrinthy and the dungeon you had to get through the first time you went there was boring. Not to mention you always have to cross areas like Site 32 and Site 16 if you want to get anywhere. Frankly I wouldn't mind never going there again, but I'm guessing I have to.

Mejilan

^^
In true Square-Enix fashion, you'll find alternate modes of transportation (beyond time portals) in short order. :)

Teetris said:
I assume that's level 100? How much damage?! And, where did you train?

Yes, that's level 100. A level ** Chrono equipped with the Prismspecs accessory and the Dreamedge (I think that's what his new ultimate weapon is called) and a ** Strength rating can easily hit 4000 on his crits... which happen about 9 times out of 10 with that weapon! Hahahaha.

Magus' new ultimate weapon does 4x when it crits. Cool beans.

Alec

jon bones said:
Just went back in time to
65,000,000,000,000 BC
and will now take a break from the game until my X-mas vacation :D

It'll be nice to complete this and Ace Attorney 3 while in boring ass Kentucky.

Dude I live in KY. I can show you some fun! =P

That was not an innuendo.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Damn, there's a lot to do in this game.

Amazing so far, just wish I could have gotten
Schala
instead of the other "optional" member.

Ecto311

Teetris said:
After you move the barrels you should be able to cross the assembly line. Just don't get caught by the crane.

I moved them and now I am stuck in the crane housing on the ground level. I can't move at all, pressing all combination's of buttons does nothing.

Top Bottom