• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger DS: The |OT|

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
jon bones said:
Haven't done any of the sidequests, is it possible to beat the main game and continue playing to do all the sidequests? Or should I do them before I beat the last boss?

Do all the sidequests that the Guru of Time hints at and hit the Black Omen before going to Lavos. They're totally worthwhile and significantly flesh out the characters. The additional DS stuff is kind of boring.

Phthisis

After watching the credits for the first time in forever, I realized something I never knew before: Yoshitaka Hirota, who did some fantastic work on all three Shadow Hearts soundtracks, was the sound effect engineer on Chrono Trigger.

Mamesj

Banned
I wouldn't say there's no grinding in Chrono Trigger. Throughout the game there isn't, but Lavos' final form is a huge pain in the ass and I'm level 48-49 with Chrono, Frog, and Robo. I believe I was at 41-42 when I beat his first form, then I went on a bunch of sidequests that I didn't really want to do to grind out some levels. I'm still losing to him, so I may hit some of the bigger sidequests tomorrow for more gear/levels.

Kinda disappointing, considering the game has been cake up until now.

Mamesj said:
I wouldn't say there's no grinding in Chrono Trigger. Throughout the game there isn't, but Lavos' final form is a huge pain in the ass and I'm level 48-49 with Chrono, Frog, and Robo. I believe I was at 41-42 when I beat his first form, then I went on a bunch of sidequests that I didn't really want to do to grind out some levels. I'm still losing to him, so I may hit some of the bigger sidequests tomorrow for more gear/levels.

Yeah, doing the sidequests and getting the epic equipment is sort of a necessity.

The thing is, the sidequests are more than about gaining some extra levels. The more powerful equipment is found in the sidequests and the improved gear will help as much (if not more) than the few additional levels you get from them
but I guess if you grind like crazy, the levels will outweigh the equipment

Also, the sidequests round out the story. They may be optional, but I definitely wouldn't consider finishing them as "grinding", any more than I'd consider doing the skippable levels in Super Mario Bros. as "grinding".

I'd classify the "sidequests" as more "non-linear story segments" than sidequests in the traditional sense. You're meant to complete them -- you're just not locked into a set order.

The new DS crap, on the other hand, you can ignore.
Because otherwise you'll have to admit that Chrono Cross exists.

Elfforkusu said:
I'd classify the "sidequests" as more "non-linear story segments" than sidequests in the traditional sense. You're meant to complete them -- you're just not locked into a set order.

There's actually a better reason to ignore that stuff; the new content is boring and shitty.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Just played through 90% of the game since forever !!! Man this game is so good, even better than in memory. I just finished all the sidequests beside Black Omen and Rainbow Shell. I'm gonna also try for Lost Sanctum (whatever it's called) to get some good gears before I fight Lavos. Then I'll go for that new ending with Dimensional Vortex and see what the fuss was all about. I haven't played Chrono Cross in a long while too but I was bored by it after playing it a while. I also didn't quite see the connection between CT and CC when I first played CC so maybe I'll go through CC after I finish CT DS this time.

Red Scarlet

Mamesj said:

Just go through the big Black Dream/Omen ship thing. Ayla can steal Last/Megalixirs and the gold earrings that reduce MP cost to 1/4. Those should be more than enough to get you through the last boss.

Mamesj

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Also, the sidequests round out the story. They may be optional, but I definitely wouldn't consider finishing them as "grinding", any more than I'd consider doing the skippable levels in Super Mario Bros. as "grinding".

Well, if you don't want to do them, but you kind of have to, then it's a grind.

On the other hand, playing through them has been very enjoyable...just when I think I'm ready to finish it, I find myself doing more and more of the sidequests. This game is pretty amazing!

well, now I may have to do it. I decided to play that game after hearing the Retronauts podcast about it.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
It usually annoys me when there are many story/character related sidequests made available only right before you can face the last boss (SH3, I'm looking at you) but for some reason it doesn't bother me in CT. Maybe it's because I feel it makes sense, you are travelling through time after all so there's no "rush" to save the world. :p

And yeah, I did the extra content in the DS version and overall I found it to be quite sucky. Copypasta stuff + long fetch quests through the same areas + cheap bosses that make your entire party MP go to 1 a bunch of times. I guess it wasn't that bad since I completed them all but you can live without doing them.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The CT - CC ties are pretty tenuous and half-baked, and nothing new in this version of CT really makes things any better, for feel any less forced.

Ever since finishing up CT DS a few months ago, I've been slowly puttering away at CC on my PSP, and I finally completed it a few nights ago. The whole game was entirely forgettable, but especially the story and characters. It was a poorly written, poorly conceived mess. It literally feels like a completely different RPG that was shoe-horned into the Chrono license really late in development, kind of what happened with Rare's Dinosaur Planet.

Mejilan

CT had better music, and WAY better locations.
The El Nido Peninsula fucking sucked. And it was tiny. Not being able to visit the main continent of Zenan, was a crime. And exploring two almost identical "world" maps was a horrible replacement for CT's time-traveling, particularly since the two dimensions were almost completely distinct, with no real cross-over.

The whole game was a mess, and a complete missed opportunity. They even got Schala's hair and outfit completely wrong. Almost... as if... (dare I say it?) they added her to the last boss's model... AT THE LAST MOMENT!

*shakes head*

What a huge disappointment it was.
I'm almost tempted to create a very vitriolic LTTP thread, but I'm too sick to be bothered.

Fuu

Mejilan said:
CT had better music, and WAY better locations
I wasn't comparing though. :p

I played CC more "on its own" than most people, I don't care even a bit that it's connected to CT or anything. I think it's an ok game.

Regardless of that, I agree that the last boss was retarded, both from a plot and gameplay point of view.

Mejilan

Yeah, the 'bad' ending was a joke. Basically just a credits scroll.
The 'good' ending (finishing the Chrono Cross sequence) was just unsatisfying, and had almost no closure whatsoever. What happened to Schala? What happened to Janus? How were Home World and Another World merged? Did one supercede the other? Where the two somehow blended together? If so, how? Is El Nido fully opened up to the main continent? What exactly happens after the Time Crash? Does that future time line even exist anymore? A far cry from CT's ending, IMHO, which did a pretty good job of closing most of the plot threads sufficiently.

At the very least, CC compromised its own story enough that I'm content to have CT exist as one time line and CC exist as another (two) time lines. With Radical Dreamers as a fourth timeline (Another Another World, if you will). But CC basically confirms that last point in any event. Shame that Radical Dreamers wasn't rolled into CC's canon, since it actually HAD Janus in it, unlike CC. Oh well, another missed opportunity.

mattso

I got near the end a few weeks ago and have been playing fire emblem since.

This week I plan on getting this out, doing the sidequests and beating it.

Fuu

Not to mention the massive exposition the phantom!CT characters do at the beach right before that lame fight. I don't even remember if there was a a clear in-game way to realize the order of the elements sequence, I just used a FAQ.

I wonder what (if any) sort of plans SE has with the Chrono franchise by now. Do we know how CT DS did in sales?

Mejilan

Ahhh, mostly the same order as the divine dragon/time devourer fight at the top of the terra tower, IIRC. Only, I think it starts off as white innate, so that part of the sequence is actually out of order... lol. I used a FAQ as well.

IIRC, it was Yellow, Red, Green, Blue, Black, White, Chrono Cross.

Mamesj

Banned
This is the problem. I keep getting conflicting info about Chrono Cross-- first I was touched by Parish's story about the game and everyone on that episode seemed to like it, then I see a mountain of internet hate for it, then I see some reviews that tell me not to listen to the hate, then I see a post like Mejilan's outlining how horrible it seems.

I should just play Vagrant Story first, then decide.

Mejilan

Play it and decide for yourself. If nothing else, the gameplay was... interesting. The game's very polarizing. Even on its own merits, I just couldn't like it. Be prepared for some pretty slow gameplay, slow battles, and a story that keeps on hinting at some awesome development, but never delivers! It just keeps on stringing you along until it just ends.

Musically, there are some CC tracks that easily beat out the best CT has to offer, but CT has way, way more music that I liked, versus CC. It was a consistently better OST, IMHO.

Chrono Cross has amazing music. One of the best videogame OSTs ever. (of course, so does CT)

Anyway, back to Chrono Trigger. How awesome is this game? So awesome.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Mamesj said:
This is the problem. I keep getting conflicting info about Chrono Cross-- first I was touched by Parish's story about the game and everyone on that episode seemed to like it, then I see a mountain of internet hate for it, then I see some reviews that tell me not to listen to the hate, then I see a post like Mejilan's outlining how horrible it seems.

I should just play Vagrant Story first, then decide.
Chrono Cross is a really great and creative RPG, only with a weak supporting cast (basically outside of a handful of major characters, everyone is paint-by-numbers) and a somewhat nonsensical plot. That said, it's a JRPG, so a nonsensical plot is pretty excusable.

It's a really good late Playstation era RPG. It leaves a lot to be desired as a Chrono Trigger sequel. It's mostly a matter of which is more important to you: its merit as a standalone RPG or its merit as a direct sequel to CT?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The blinking lights in one of the rooms also gives you the order for the CC. I remember figuring it out because of the bosses though.

I'm a big CC guy though. Sure it has flaws, and some people don't like stories where it takes too much time to digest. But the music, gameplay, and even the art direction really resonate with me. I really do love CC.

Mamesj

Banned
Cool. I already own CC, so I'm going to sink some hours in.

I've got a new strat for Lavos' second form. Hopefully it works! I like this fight a lot. I've seriously gone after him about 10 times, but I keep trying new stuff and the fight drags on for a while---it feels fair.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Do we ever find out why theres a Nu in the forest where you first meet Frog? Or who that girl is standing with Glenn and Cyrus when they fight the Frog King?

Don't recall

Mejilan

Cyrus' other party members are never really expanded upon.
That mu in the forest, IIRC, will very rarely show up as an enemy you can fight.
Great TP.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
John Harker said:
Do we ever find out why theres a Mu in the forest where you first meet Frog?

Just to show that there's a Nu in every time period? All life begins and ends with Nu. :D
Or who that girl is standing with Glenn and Cyrus when they fight the Frog King?

That one I don't remember... Nirvana Strike!

John Harker said:
Do we ever find out why theres a Mu in the forest where you first meet Frog? Or who that girl is standing with Glenn and Cyrus when they fight the Frog King?

Don't recall
I just played through that exact scene this morning and was wondering that myself. A Cyrus' quest would be a cool game (but one that's ultimately depressing).

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Mejilan said:
Cyrus' other party members are never really expanded upon.
That mu in the forest, IIRC, will very rarely show up as an enemy you can fight.
Great TP.

You can't fight him, though. He's quick but you can catch him and he says something like, "ohh, you naughty boy you" or something stalkerish

MoogPaul

I'd love to see a new installment on the Wii, with different motions acting as QTEs for combination techs. It would look dorky as hell but would sure feel good :D It would be a nice way to use the wii without overusing it.
It would have to be another generation in the future though. It's too late to go back to Crono and the gang
not to mention a bunch of them don't last too long...

Mejilan

John Harker said:
You can't fight him, though. He's quick but you can catch him and he says something like, "ohh, you naughty boy you" or something stalkerish

You can definitely fight him. I've done it before. As I said, lots of tech points!

Mejilan

Haha, that's true. Also, I think the first time you beat him, he'll give you the Third Eye accessory.

Though that might only be the nu in the prehistoric hunting grounds...

Victrix

*beard*
What's this I read about save files getting corrupted if you installed the game to the HD on the 360? Now I'm all paranoid and scared :( It was just a random forum post, anyone heard anything?

Mejilan

Victrix said:
What's this I read about save files getting corrupted if you installed the game to the HD on the 360? Now I'm all paranoid and scared :( It was just a random forum post, anyone heard anything?

Installing a DS game onto your 360's HDD? You'll have to teach me that trick... :D

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKK

So I beat Death Peak and started the side quests to ramp up to Lavos.

I beat the
Sunken Desert
and that cut scene played out. After the campfire
Lucca goes back in time and you find out how her mom got paralyzed. Turns out I could have saved her!
I didn't know the code! I didn't even know you could type in a code! I feel so shitty :(

What a great game this is that makes me feel for the characters so much that I feel regret for not doing what I could. It's no wonder why this is considered the best jRPG ever.

Mejilan

You're supposed to go to the machine and "type in" the passcode that Taban had set up. It's his wife's name, Lara. You're supposed to input the code with button presses. L-A-R-A on the controller...

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Mejilan said:
You're supposed to go to the machine and "type in" the passcode that Taban had set up. It's his wife's name, Lara. You're supposed to input the code with button presses. L-A-R-A on the controller...

Yes, after I finished the section I checked an FAQ to remember what the other sidequests were and I read that. I was just looking at the cut scene as though it were non interactive.

Oh wells.

Mejilan

I believe one of the notes lying on or near the ground in one of the rooms would have clued you in about that machine, btw.

Fuu

jon bones said:
Yes, after I finished the section I checked an FAQ to remember what the other sidequests were and I read that. I was just looking at the cut scene as though it were non interactive.

Oh wells.
There was a
piece of paper in the other room that had the password
. <- Edit: beaten.

It's nice when
she's saved because when you go see her in the present after that she's still sitting there and you think "oh well..." but then she suddenly gets up and starts walking

Top Bottom