• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger DS: The |OT|

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Actually...
In the two realities encompassed by Chrono Cross, Crono, Marle, and Lucca are dead. Lucca, specifically, was murdered. Kid is very much Schala's clone, and her primary motivation throughout the game is avenging her foster sister's murder.

Chrono Cross is awful. It only gets stupider and stupider the more it rapes your memories of Chrono Trigger.

Gah, the Lost Sanctum is annoying. How many times must I run up and down this stupid mountain? All this back-and-forth makes me wish escaping from enemies was instantaneous.
Mejilan said:
Actually...
In the two realities encompassed by Chrono Cross, Crono, Marle, and Lucca are dead. Lucca, specifically, was murdered. Kid is very much Schala's clone, and her primary motivation throughout the game is avenging her foster sister's murder.

Chrono Cross is awful. It only gets stupider and stupider the more it rapes your memories of Chrono Trigger.
So I take it
that the ending you get when beating the Dream Devourer about Guardia falling and the Masamune disappearing is also a tie-in to Chrono Cross?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yep. -_-
The only saving grace to all of this rubbish is that both games support the concept of alternate/myriad timelines, so should SE ever decide to follow up CT with something like a true sequel, they can very easily marginalize CC, in exactly the same fashion that CC marginalized Radical Dreamers.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Wow, this is turning into a Chrono Cross hatefest!

Count me in. (except for the soundtrack)

So I'm going through the second Black Omen in 600AD... and it's empty. Aside from normal enemies like the Flyclops, Fangbeasts and Blubber Hulks (who I've already farmed in 1000AD for Strength Capsules to the point where everyone but Marle and Lucca have maxed out their strength stat and I have all the Golden Studs and Nova Armours a man could want.), the place is really empty.

The mutants and panels don't respawn at all and there were entire corridors I just ran through with nary an enemy in sight. I'm fighting the Mammon Machine again in preparation for stealing another Prismatic Dress/Helmet combo form Queen Zeal.

I'll do the extra Reptite village side quests after that, but I have to wonder if the rewards for doing it are worth it.

Christopher

Picked this up at the gamestop sale...must say for an old game it's quite endering and I HATE RPGs...truly I do. This falls like in that Skies of Arcaida kind of game...very charming characters/plot.

AniHawk

Christopher said:
Picked this up at the gamestop sale...must say for an old game it's quite endering and I HATE RPGs...truly I do. This falls like in that Skies of Arcaida kind of game...very charming characters/plot.
Doesn't hurt that the battle system rocks.

Oh, and the time travel. Time travel games are awesome.

AniHawk

Christopher said:
Sonic 06 has time travel

Is it a gameplay thing or a story thing?

Sonic CD had time travel and it was a gameplay thing.

Time travel's usually no fun unless it's a gameplay thing.

So I'm doing my New Game +. It was fun up through when I one-hit KO'd Yakra, but from then on, it was rather tedious having to fight all these weak enemies. It got better again once I got Magus to join my party, as I screwed that up the first time around, so now I have to catch him up in levels to the rest of my party (he's in his 40's and the rest are in their 60's).

Red Scarlet

cooljeanius said:
So I'm doing my New Game +. It was fun up through when I one-hit KO'd Yakra, but from then on, it was rather tedious having to fight all these weak enemies. It got better again once I got Magus to join my party, as I screwed that up the first time around, so now I have to catch him up in levels to the rest of my party (he's in his 40's and the rest are in their 60's).

Yeah, that's one of the things that I've never liked about New Game+ in most games. Feels like I'm using a gameshark 1-hitting everything through half the game or more. Never saw the appeal in that.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Eh what is the appeal of new game plus then? Don't you guys use it so that a subsequent run through of a fairly long RPG is shorter and easier?

I replayed Chrono Trigger about once a year from 1995-2000 and I never once did new game plus, for the reason that I didn't want to have super powered-up characters and no challenge in the game. I'm sure you can guess that I didn't get to see any of the alternative endings as a kid, but anything but the canon ending didn't interest me anyway. I play RPGs for the story and only the story, so extras and whatnot never really interest me.. I usually don't even replay RPGs since once I know the story there's no reason for me to play it again. Obviously CT was the exception when I was a kid since I considered it the best game ever created..anyway..back to the original question heh.

Teknoman

Tying up loose ends before the final battle...I always seem to have trouble finding that sun stone.

Just found out that the new stuff opened after beating the game, can be accessed from a clear file :D

cooljeanius said:
Make sure you look up a guide as to what goodies you can steal from enemies using Charm. The best part of a New Game+ is 1) Maxing out your stats and 2) Plundering once formidable bosses for their phat loot.

I beat the game last night, but I'm doing the Lost Sanctum missions before I go into the Dimensional Vortex. Is the Dimensional Vortex the same in all time periods?

Red Scarlet said:
I don't know, I've almost never liked it in games, and preferred starting a new file instead.
To be fair, in Chrono Trigger, it makes it feasible to get certain endings. I just like raiding monsters for loot. I have like 20 Golden Studs, 30 Nova Armours, a bunch of Strength Capsules (despite only having Marle and Lucca being the only ones without maxed out STR) and I don't know why.

Red Scarlet

viciouskillersquirrel said:
To be fair, in Chrono Trigger, it makes it feasible to get certain endings. I just like raiding monsters for loot. I have like 20 Golden Studs, 30 Nova Armours, a bunch of Strength Capsules (despite only having Marle and Lucca being the only ones without maxed out STR) and I don't know why.

You can steal all that stuff on a single play though. What about Megalixirs? Those 4-headed dinosaur guys have them to snag.

Red Scarlet said:
You can steal all that stuff on a single play though. What about Megalixirs? Those 4-headed dinosaur guys have them to snag.
Megalixirs? :O_

Where are these dinosaurs you speak of? It took AGES for Ayla to learn Charm and by the time I got it, it was too late for a lot of stuff. Most of my goodies were gotten in the Black Omen.

Red Scarlet

Megalixirs? :O_

Where are these dinosaurs you speak of? It took AGES for Ayla to learn Charm and by the time I got it, it was too late for a lot of stuff. Most of my goodies were gotten in the Black Omen.

It's those 4-headed dinosaur/dragon things in the Black Omen. The ones that attack other enemies to heal their 1500HP.

You can put them to sleep with Lucca's early ability..the only use I found for it.

Red Scarlet said:
It's those 4-headed dinosaur/dragon things in the Black Omen. The ones that attack other enemies to heal their 1500HP.

You can put them to sleep with Lucca's early ability..the only use I found for it.
I ignored them completely after stealing from the first one. I guess I must have misread what I stole as Elixir (have 99 of them). I've already sunk all three Black Omens though :|

I beat the game last night, but I'm doing the Lost Sanctum missions before I go into the Dimensional Vortex. Is the Dimensional Vortex the same in all time periods?
No. They do have similarities in that the overall structure in each is the same (
i.e. recycled maps in the first half, new maps in the second half, ending with a boss who's a clone of one of your characters
), but the actual content of each one is different.

Red Scarlet

I ignored them completely after stealing from the first one. I guess I must have misread what I stole as Elixir (have 99 of them). I've already sunk all three Black Omens though :|

Woops.

So I've beaten my New Game +, but the game didn't seem to save it as such, even though I told it to twice after beating it. I also went back and read skimmed this thread and was amused by how often the same topics were reintroduced as though they were new. A few questions whose answers I didn't see: First, that woman on the Truce dock in the Present, Elaine, is it possible to find her husband Fritz? Also, all the residents of Medina village keep talking about a ferry being built between Truce and Medina: when is that going to ever happen? There are also a lot of items that show up on in the Treasure Atlas that I can't figure out how to get (e.g. a magic capsule in some locked drawers in a Dorino residence), but I suppose if I keep trying different things...

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
cooljeanius said:
First, that woman on the Truce dock in the Present, Elaine, is it possible to find her husband Fritz?

Yes. He's in the prison, when you're escaping near the beginning of the game.

cooljeanius said:
Also, all the residents of Medina village keep talking about a ferry being built between Truce and Medina: when is that going to ever happen?[/B]

It doesn't.

Red Scarlet

cooljeanius said:
So I've beaten my New Game +, but the game didn't seem to save it as such, even though I told it to twice after beating it. I also went back and read skimmed this thread and was amused by how often the same topics were reintroduced as though they were new. A few questions whose answers I didn't see: First, that woman on the Truce dock in the Present, Elaine, is it possible to find her husband Fritz? Also, all the residents of Medina village keep talking about a ferry being built between Truce and Medina: when is that going to ever happen? There are also a lot of items that show up on in the Treasure Atlas that I can't figure out how to get (e.g. a magic capsule in some locked drawers in a Dorino residence), but I suppose if I keep trying different things...

You just choose New Game+, then choose what save data you want to start your next New Game+ from, iirc.

As for your other questions:

You can rescue Fritz after the trial, in the dungeon. He's the guy stuck in a device. Just free him while you're in prison, then go talk to him afterward.

The Medina residents talk about the ferry once you've "truced up" the humans and monsters. That's just the final conclusion of that arc; that the humans and monsters from Medina are friends.

The magic capsule in Dorino is gotten if you find an item in the first dungeon in the game. It was some bromide item in the SNES version; the old guy wants the bromide of those snake women monsters from the first dungeon. He'll unlock the dresser and trade the capsule for the bromide

george_us

I just picked this up a few days ago and I'm loving it so far. This is my first time playing through it and I'm loving how brisk everything feels. Combat is fast and fluid, no 20 minute story sequences, and the melodrama so far has been kept to a minimum. I do have to say though that I don't see what makes it THAT much better than Chrono Cross, or why CC gets the hate it does. In all actuality, CC does quite a few things better than CT does. Of course it could be the fact that I'm playing CT 14 years after it came out.

Teknoman

Teddman said:
It holds up awesome all the way through, and the music... Best soundtrack ever, 'nuff said.

Lavos's true form's music is still just as crazy as I remember it. Its like on the same scale as Giygas / Pokey means business from Earthbound. Then again, there arent many RPGs that have alien like battle themes and have you fighting against some threat from beyond your own solar system.

Red Scarlet said:
You just choose New Game+, then choose what save data you want to start your next New Game+ from, iirc.
No, that's not what I meant; I wasn't trying to start another New Game +, I was just trying to save my current New Game + after I had beaten it.

Teknoman

Got the best ending (#1 im guessing) and just saw the extra one thats supposed to tie into Chrono Cross
The dream devourer...kinda peaked ahead at the final boss in CC via youtube
...so now i've really got to play Chrono Cross :D (thanks free to a good home topic). But one question,
baby that warps in at the end of the first ending...was that Kid?

Teknoman

Guess after beating Chrono Cross, there will be more time distorting and parallel universe breaking stuff...making me wish Chrono Break was a reality :lol

gunstarhero

Hey guys -

I just beat the first boss and seem to be stuck already! :p

I cant seem to progress any further in the game - I read GameFaqs after looking around for an hour (there's not too many places to look so early in the game!) and it says to go back to Truce Canyon to teleport out of there... but I cant find anything in Truce Canyon!

Am I missing something?!?

gunstarhero said:
Hey guys -

I just beat the first boss and seem to be stuck already! :p

I cant seem to progress any further in the game - I read GameFaqs after looking around for an hour (there's not too many places to look so early in the game!) and it says to go back to Truce Canyon to teleport out of there... but I cant find anything in Truce Canyon!

Am I missing something?!?
The door between screens can be kind of hard to see. Try following your position on the map instead of the top screen. If you make it to the screen where you teleported in originally, try pressing A where the portal was to make it show up.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
So I finally got around to playing Chrono Trigger on my DS. Haven't played the game at all before, apart from trying the first 30 minutes out just when I got the game.

Honestly, I was kinda expecting it to be good but old and somewhat tedious, since most RPG:s, looking back, are kinda tedious.

14-15 hours in and I'm really enjoying it. The combat isn't as slow as the older FF-games and there's nowhere near as much annoyance in the regard of random encounters. On top of that, and more importantly, most levels are short.

So while I was expecting a decent game feeling like a cross between Secret of Mana and Final Fantasy or something, I got a game with a lot of short and varied levels, good pacing and a great atmosphere.

But I don't know if I like those sequences they've put in there, though.

eshock

Hey guys,

Even though I'm going to buy this anyway, I want to ask GAF anyway so I won't be disappointed:

Is the
"Hey, did you just come out of the closet!?!?"
joke still in the game?

wrowa

Christopher said:
wow this game holds up pretty freaking well I must say...the music is amazing too
Oh, that's not surprising, since Mitsuda is the second son of God; didn't you know that? Okay, if you count in this Xiuquan guy, he's actually the third, but, pff!, who the heck is Xiuquan.

eshock said:
Hey guys,

Even though I'm going to buy this anyway, I want to ask GAF anyway so I won't be disappointed:

Is the
joke still in the game?
I think the text was changed to cupboard, actually...

rexor0717

eshock said:
Hey guys,

Is the
joke still in the game?
They say wardrobe.

Christopher

So what changes did they make to translations?

You know what this game remidns me of? Lunar: The Silver Star Story Complete. The only thing that could have made this game better was to have the characters talk more...I think limiting the party had it's weaknesses in terms of character as it would be VERY tedious and text heavy to program individual reactions to characters.

I like how in Lunar there is sorta an active dialog between all the characters at all times...makes you connect more.

Agreed??

I love the old school charm, and love playing this game for the first time. The music is awesome.

I can't get rid of Marlie though I like her too much even though she's weak :(.

Irnbru

Christopher said:
So what changes did they make to translations?

You know what this game remidns me of? Lunar: The Silver Star Story Complete. The only thing that could have made this game better was to have the characters talk more...I think limiting the party had it's weaknesses in terms of character as it would be VERY tedious and text heavy to program individual reactions to characters.

I like how in Lunar there is sorta an active dialog between all the characters at all times...makes you connect more.

Agreed??

I love the old school charm, and love playing this game for the first time. The music is awesome.

I can't get rid of Marlie though I like her too much even though she's weak :(.

But her magic is amazing! Just pump her with magic tabs :), shes a great healer if you like playing with a healer.

vicktormerv said:
But her magic is amazing! Just pump her with magic tabs :), shes a great healer if you like playing with a healer.
I never liked relying too much on magic myself. Until I could get my hands on some Golden Studs, I tended to hoard MP for the tougher fights.

But then again, I know what you mean about liking her despite her weakness. Frog's magic is rubbish and his attack stat isn't anything to write home about either, but I still love having him in my team with the Crono/Ayla duo of awesome.

EDIT: That said, when doing a magic-heavy run, I tended to prefer Lucca over Marle.

legend166

I just beat it. Took me 27 hours. I'm pretty sure I did all the sidequests, including the Lost Sanctum. I really enjoyed it. This was my first time playing it.

I got the stock standard ending. I knew there were different endings, but I didn't know how to get them. I thought it was going to be based on sidequests and stuff, but looking at GameFaqs it's based on when you actually beat Lavos? That's pretty crazy. I never could have beat him much earlier than I did.

I don't think I'll play through it again, I'm about to buy Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon.

Phthisis

legend166 said:
I just beat it. Took me 27 hours. I'm pretty sure I did all the sidequests, including the Lost Sanctum. I really enjoyed it. This was my first time playing it.

I got the stock standard ending. I knew there were different endings, but I didn't know how to get them. I thought it was going to be based on sidequests and stuff, but looking at GameFaqs it's based on when you actually beat Lavos? That's pretty crazy. I never could have beat him much earlier than I did.

I don't think I'll play through it again, I'm about to buy Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon.

New game+ allows you to fight Lavos at any time, so if you beat him after doing certain plot events (or not doing certain plot events), your ending will be drastically different.

It's alright. I'd have preferred Zeal's regular music though. Corridors of Time is such a good track.

Mind you, I HATED the 65M BC tracks. Ugh.

Tyranno Lair is awesome. The rest of the prehistory tracks can burn in hell though. :lol

But I agree that Corridors of Time is among the top 3 tracks in the game.

And is Marle the only main character in the game who doesn't have her own theme? I've seen Fanfare 1 listed as Lucca's theme on some other sites.

Top Bottom