• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger DS: The |OT|

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Mejilan said:
I believe one of the notes lying on or near the ground in one of the rooms would have clued you in about that machine, btw.

I feel like a piece of dog shit motherfucker.

xfactor

Banned
I just got to the last save point in the Black Omen, but my inventory supply stocks are too low (I have only 7 mega elixir) to fight Queen Zeal and Lavos. Is there a way to get back out to the world map or am I screwed?

Scipius

xfactor said:
I just got to the last save point in the Black Omen, but my inventory supply stocks are too low (I have only 7 mega elixir) to fight Queen Zeal and Lavos. Is there a way to get back out to the world map or am I screwed?

There will be one last chance after fighting Queen Zeal and Lavos' outer shell.

I got this game yesterday, and have put about 2 hours into it so far. I'm liking it so far. It's my first time experiencing any version of it, heck, it's my first Square Enix game, so everything feels pretty new to me. I stopped playing once I died to the
Dragon Tank
and then realized that I probably should've gone to sleep already. Next time I fight it, I'll be sure to use a shelter at the save point preceding it first. One moment I particularly liked was the courtroom scene. It impressed me that all the little exploration things I had done at the beginning of the game actually mattered later. One question: Should I devote more of my time to playing this game or Ocarina of Time (which I'm playing for the first time on Virtual Console)? I'm leaning towards Ocarina of Time so I can save this for times when I'm on the go and need a portable game.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
cooljeanius said:
I got this game yesterday, and have put about 2 hours into it so far. I'm liking it so far. It's my first time experiencing any version of it, heck, it's my first Square Enix game, so everything feels pretty new to me. I stopped playing once I died to the
Dragon Tank
and then realized that I probably should've gone to sleep already. Next time I fight it, I'll be sure to use a shelter at the save point preceding it first. One moment I particularly liked was the courtroom scene. It impressed me that all the little exploration things I had done at the beginning of the game actually mattered later. One question: Should I devote more of my time to playing this game or Ocarina of Time (which I'm playing for the first time on Virtual Console)? I'm leaning towards Ocarina of Time so I can save this for times when I'm on the go and need a portable game.

Damn, first time playing Chrono and OOT? I feel old.

Phthisis

xfactor said:

You should only need to use a megalixir right as you start to fight Zeal. Don't attack the hands.

So I played for about another hour, this time stopping once I died to that
giant robot in the basement of Arris Dome in the future.
I really need to use shelters more often...

BorkBork said:
Damn, first time playing Chrono and OOT? I feel old.
Well, this isn't really so much me not having been old enough to play them the first time around, it's more me only having had a Gameboy as my only source of gaming for most of my life. (I'm 18 btw)

BorkBork

I usually get the helms. Three of them means everyone has someone pretty good on their heads.

jon bones

I'm so close to the end of the game, I can taste it... About to enter The Black Omen and get shit DONE.

Wish more RPGs could be this linear/short/charming/fast/easy/engrossing.

Magnus

I recall the Prismatic Dress being a long-term use item, pretty much all the way to the end, while for helms, you'll probably get the status-effect-immunity helms on everyone pretty fast instead, so I'd go for the dress. Wasn't it an auto-protect dress? Only the new Regal Gown (or whatever it was called) was better I think, with auto-protect and auto-barrier built in.

jon bones

I went for the helms... no girls in my end-game line up. Frog / Chrono / Magus team of badassery.

Whenever I play a NG+ (a LONG time from now), I'll pick up the dress :lol

First run-through, I always pick the helms, as their benefits are best for your party at this stage. You can charm a dress and an additional helm from
Zeal's hands
. The additional quests in the DS version make the dress pretty much irrelevant, especially the Elemental Aegis (even though it's only for Lucca).

Grecco

I did the Rainbow shell thing too and picked the Helms.

but i need another piece to get the weapon i think from the sun stone. Kind of stuck there ( I already did the sun stone quest)

Grecco said:
but i need another piece to get the weapon i think from the sun stone. Kind of stuck there ( I already did the sun stone quest)
Hmmm... did you have Lucca take the Sun Stone back to her home to make the Wondershot/Sunglasses? If so, Melchior should immediately recognize that you have the Sun Stone, and thus forge the Rainbow for you right there.

Grecco

SabinFigaro said:
Hmmm... did you have Lucca take the Sun Stone back to her home to make the Wondershot/Sunglasses? If so, Melchior should immediately recognize that you have the Sun Stone, and thus forge the Rainbow for you right there.

yeah i have the wondershot and sunglessaes i even visited melchior with lucca i think, all he says is i need another piece to craft something

I want to get Crono some weapons before i go to the Black Omen and Lavos :/

So I've been playing this game some more... I got to the part where
Crono died... It was weird, because I knew it was coming as I had read the spoilers, but it still hit me emotionally. Probably the part where it hit me the hardest wasn't actually the death scene, but when I went to save after it and it removed his picture from the save file
. I'm loving the story so far, and all the characters. I can't wait until I get Magus to join me, although he seemed weaker when
I fought him on the North Cape in 12,000 BC
than when I fought him the first time. I'm thinking that Lavos might be a metaphor for something (maybe nuclear power?), but I'm not exactly sure. The music is also great. I plugged it in to my stereo system today and had music playing from its music box feature while I did stuff around the house. It was kind of annoying that I had to keep going back to change the song, though. I keep wishing that games with sound tests would give them more iTunes-like features, like creating playlists and stuff. Another minor gripe: I wish the touch screen controls had been done better. It seems like they just translated buttons into touch screen commands, and I wish they had built the touch screen stuff from the ground up. A few things that would have made it nicer: if they had had the enemy labels on the touch screen actually correspond to their location on the top screen, if I could touch and drag to change party members, if the touch-to-walk option had the same level of precision that Phantom Hourglass did, and in general other little interface things like that. Still, that's about all I can think of for negatives... unless you count the sleep I'm losing by playing it as a negative.

Red Scarlet

cooljeanius said:
I can't wait until I get Magus to join me, although he seemed weaker when
I fought him on the North Cape in 12,000 BC
than when I fought him the first time.

He will never join you this playthrough; you killed him at the North Cape if you chose to fight him there

jon bones

In the Black Omen, at the first save point (with the two Nu's). Getting close to the end, here...

the party: Chrono/ Frog/Magus all level 48
Chrono has Rainbow
Frog has the Masamune
Magus does not have his final weapon, because I just found out about it and I already beat
Ozzie's Fort
. Was considering leaving the black omen to get it, but I'm not sure...

I'm thinking that I equip Chrono with Prism Specs or the Golden Stud so he can spam Luminaire... I guess I'll have Magus throw Barrier's and Dark Mists out.

The only issue is that I don't have a really good healing spell. Frog's Heal is OK, I guess... I think he'll just be hanging out healing + throwing elixers around (I'm also filled to the brim with Hi Elixers)

I find that I can charm mad stuff around here... is it possible to go through the Black Omen
without fighting Lavos? I want to go through it one time just to steal shit and level up.

Red Scarlet

You can go through most of it and steal stuff (Gold Studs/Pierces, Speed Tabs, Power Tabs, Megalixirs), but you'd have to walk all the way out (or to the warp out Nu) if you don't want to go all the way through it.

Mejilan said:
The whole game was a mess, and a complete missed opportunity. They even got Schala's hair and outfit completely wrong. Almost... as if... (dare I say it?) they added her to the last boss's model... AT THE LAST MOMENT!

*shakes head*

What a huge disappointment it was.
I'm almost tempted to create a very vitriolic LTTP thread, but I'm too sick to be bothered.

This is pretty spot on in regards to my feelings on CC. CT is easily one of my favorite games and I was so excited for CC to come out and I remember being so utterly, soul crushingly disappointed by it. CC is completely charmless in comparison to CT. Seriously, playing it was one of my biggest gaming disappointments ever. Like you said, it seems like they tried to shoe horn it in as a CT sequel at the last moment, which is a truly odious marketing trick. It makes me mad just thinking about it. Damn you, Square! I will never trust a CT sequel again.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just curious since I am finishing up DQIV before picking this up, but how is the overall quality of the port? Is entering battle and queuing up attacks still somewhat choppy as in the SNES cart? Just curious how it generally fares.

I got the Wondershot today, so I'm wondering if it deals damage based on how much play time I've put in, and I've clocked about 24 hours, how much damage should it deal for me?

Red Scarlet

cooljeanius said:
I got the Wondershot today, so I'm wondering if it deals damage based on how much play time I've put in, and I've clocked about 24 hours, how much damage should it deal for me?

It's completely random damage, afaik.

So I just did the first of the "other dimension" reptite village quests today (Golden Hammer) and am somewhat confused. Instead of giving me mad l00tz like I wanted, I was rewarded instead with Megalixers and money. Do the rewards get better? What do I use the Steel Ingot for?

So I beat the game for the first time today. My team was Crono, Marle, and Robo. Some of the bosses near the end were quite hard. Luckily I had many ways to deal with dying, so it just meant that it took a long time. And the long time was made worse by not being able to know how close I was to winning. Still, this made it feel good when I finally did win. Now I should go do some of that post-winning stuff...

jon bones said:
Got my ass beat by
Queen Zeal
twice last night. Golfham.
Make sure you steal from each of her hands and head before you kill her.

cooljeanius said:
So I beat the game for the first time today. My team was Crono, Marle, and Robo. Some of the bosses near the end were quite hard. Luckily I had many ways to deal with dying, so it just meant that it took a long time. And the long time was made worse by not being able to know how close I was to winning. Still, this made it feel good when I finally did win. Now I should go do some of that post-winning stuff...
I don't think I've ever beaten the game without Crono in my team. I'm rolling with Crono, Frog and Ayla for now.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
viciouskillersquirrel said:
I don't think I've ever beaten the game without Crono in my team. I'm rolling with Crono, Frog and Ayla for now.

Spamming Luminaire with a gold stud was a lifesaver/gamebreaker for me. :p

also...

Do this. Best(?) helms and female armor in the game.

Metroidvania said:
Spamming Luminaire with a gold stud was a lifesaver/gamebreaker for me. :p
Same here. Right now though, I'm using Frog as a gold-studded healer.

If you do the Black Omen three times (once in 1000AD, once in 600AD and once in 12000BC), is it possible to fight Queen Zeal multiple times?

Phthisis

Same here. Right now though, I'm using Frog as a gold-studded healer.

If you do the Black Omen three times (once in 1000AD, once in 600AD and once in 12000BC), is it possible to fight Queen Zeal multiple times?

Nope. The Black Omen exists outside of time as normal, and instead exists simultaneously throughout history. Basically, once you beat the Black Omen, it's done in all eras.

Phthisis said:
Nope. The Black Omen exists outside of time as normal, and instead exists simultaneously throughout history. Basically, once you beat the Black Omen, it's done in all eras.
Are you sure? I think I read in a speed/strength/magic capsule farming guide that you could? I've never tried it (I usually sink the Black Omen in 12,000 BC so it doesn't stain the sky throughout history).

EDIT: Maybe they're referring to monster/boss respawns.

BorkBork

You can beat the Black Omen three times (start with the latest one at 1000 AD), but the Queen only once. I'm fairly certain of that.

jon bones

Yea, I'm about to boot Magus out of my team in exchange for Ayla and retry tonight. Magus was just taking a beating the whole time :/

Frog - Heal
Chrono - Luminaire
Ayla - Charm/beat down

And I totally missed out on farming the Black Omen for goodies and I'm already at the boss in 12,000 BC. Oh well, I just want to beat the game right now (which is apparently do-able with my exp/equipment).

You can beat the Queen 3 times and steal a total of 3 dresses and 3 helms from her. I just did it the other day.

You have to go backwards through time, so start with the latest Black Omen and work your way backwards. The boss enemies will all be gone, but Queen Zeal will still be there. You also don't have to fight the first two forms of Lavos again.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Make sure you steal speed tabs from those wall statue things in the Black Omen...forgot there names....

Edit: oh nm you already beat it :(

So I've been working on the Lost Sanctum, and trying to figure out how to get to that Dimensional Vortex near Crono's House in 1000 A.D. (don't tell me though, I haven't given up yet). One question: If I do a New Game +, will I still be able to run around in my old game, or will it write over it?

Forkball

I never thought this game was that hard. Maybe because I leveled up too much (was in the 50s when I beat the game), got all the ultimate weapons/armor and did the Lost Sanctum before I beat the game. If you do that you can pretty much slaughter anything. The final boss was doing double digit damage to me. Though there were some tough sections earlier in the game, especially the side missions.

Mejilan said:
You can NG+ and then save to a different file.
Disappointing then, that there are only 3 save files. I'm already letting a kid I know at my church have his own save file, and my brother might want a save file of his own, too, the next time he comes home...

I've been farming Strength Capsules off the Blubber Hulks in The Black Omen (you have to steal them). I just come in, steal a capsule, kill it, then run out of the room the way I came so it respawns.

So far, Frog, Crono and Ayla all have maxed-out strength. Boo-yah!

So I started a New Game +, then went back to my original game and beat the Dream Devourer... probably should've done the two in the opposite order, but whatever.

jon bones

Just beat the game for the first time... a question about the ending:

Lucca finds a small blond child with a pendant... is this Chrono/Marle's kid? Am I missing something here?

what a phenomenal game, though.

jon bones

sounds dumb. i'm going to say
Chrono and Marle had a kid, something happens in the future so they send their kid through a gate w/ the pendant. Lucca finds it and goes on an adventure to save the future -again.

Top Bottom