• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger DS: The |OT|

Mirimar

baphometbones said:
Yup, I totally agree. The Golem Twins were the only bosses I ever had trouble on, and actually, that whole dungeon is kind of tricky at first, but it's optional anyway. You also can get access to some crazy good equipment late in the game which makes things easier.

That's the thing about this game, the Monster Training allows you to get late-game items really early. That's if you choose to do that though.

whatdidyousay said:
Thanks guys! I might give it a shot, being a classic game that I've never played and you call yourself a gamer and all that jazz...

Good to hear, I really don't think you'll regret it. I know $39.99 is a lot for a DS game, but even for a remake I think it's worth it. I almost envy those getting to play it for the first time.

Mirimar said:
That's the thing about this game, the Monster Training allows you to get late-game items really early. That's if you choose to do that though.

Whoa, really? Can you spoiler tag which items? That's interesting as even the uber-powerful stuff was never that hard to get to begin with...
except the stupid 9999 damage claw that I've never been able to get.

vareon

baphometbones said:
Yup, I totally agree. The Golem Twins were the only bosses I ever had trouble on, and actually, that whole dungeon is kind of tricky at first, but it's optional anyway. You also can get access to some crazy good equipment late in the game which makes things easier.

Since Chrono Trigger is my first RPG, I had no idea what I played and it was a pretty hard struggle to defeat those three first Naga-ettes at the church :lol

After I understand how to play it, the only boss that gives such problem is
Masamune
. :p

With Masa's bravery and...
Mune's knowledge!
Two become one!
I remember those awesome lines, then the two merged and the epic boss battle theme #2 plays for the first time. Unforgettable.

Don't tell me the lines was changed this time.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
You know, I kinda wish this game was out here in the US RIGHT NOW.
I've been itching to replay it for a while, so this really is just perfect. Effin' portable, mang, and I don't have to deal with compromised emulation on my PSP anymore!

Also, I really think it's about time we left the Chrono Cross discussion (at least, as far as FOR! and AGAINST! discussions go) aside. Start a new thread, if you want to rehash that old debate. Hell, I'll even join in, as I've got plenty to say. But please leave it out of here, especially now that some of us actually have the game and we impressions will start rolling in.

Cheers.

Mirimar

baphometbones said:
Good to hear, I really don't think you'll regret it. I know $39.99 is a lot for a DS game, but even for a remake I think it's worth it. I almost envy those getting to play it for the first time.

Whoa, really? Can you spoiler tag which items? That's interesting as even the uber-powerful stuff was never that hard to get to begin with...
except the stupid 9999 damage claw that I've never been able to get.

Guess I'll just quote what I saw on another board.

So here I am, with the party of Crono, Frog, and Lucca, and I'm getting ready to go to Magus' Castle. They all three have
Golden Studs
(
gold stud
in the SNES version) and
Guardian Helms (safe helm
in the SNES version) equipped. I got them from tier 5 arena fights, along with plenty of magic and strength capsules. What're some of the goodies you've gotten that're worth mentioning?

So that's from tier 5. Dunno if there are higher tiers. But if you can get to tier 5 at only Magus' Castle...yea...you're gonna breeze through the game like it was nothing.

Other items from Tier 5
Strength Capsule
Red Plate
Blue Plate
Radiant Blade
Aeonian Suit
White Plate
Magic Capsule
Dreamstone Gun
Kaiser Arm
Workman's Wallet
Rune Blade
Mop
Sonic Bow

I don't think you can remove CT references from CC and still pretend it's the same story.

The biggest stumbling block, aside from the very concept of the game being Belthasar's discovery of the Frozen Flame and what it was, would probably be the Reptites and how critical they were to the story.

Mirimar said:
Guess I'll just quote what I saw on another board.
So that's from tier 5. Dunno if there are higher tiers. But if you can get to tier 5 at only Magus' Castle...yea...you're gonna breeze through the game like it was nothing.

Wow. Yeah, getting some of those items before even reaching Magus' Castle is insane. Those are pretty much game-breaking at that point. At least it's not
Rainbow gear
. Hopefully those are still one choice every playthrough.

Mejilan said:
Also, I really think it's about time we left the Chrono Cross discussion (at least, as far as FOR! and AGAINST! discussions go) aside. Start a new thread, if you want to rehash that old debate. Hell, I'll even join in, as I've got plenty to say. But please leave it out of here, especially now that some of us actually have the game and we impressions will start rolling in.

Cheers.

Well said!

MoxManiac

baphometbones said:

Apparently you can keep putting the golem twins to sleep using lucca's hypno wave over and over. :lol

NeoUltima

Might be time for me to finally get a DS(even though I have played CT more times than I can count).

And CC is awesome, some of the hate is a bit too extreme. I can understand certain, story related things, people don't like about it, but it's still a great game. Also has one of the greatest soundtrack of all time(<- ye not even haters can disagree /w that one).

MoxManiac said:
Apparently you can keep putting the golem twins to sleep using lucca's hypno wave over and over. :lol

On my first playthrough when the SNES version came out, I was stuck on them for days. I just barely pulled through in the end, but that little piece of info would have made things soooo much easier. I don't use Lucca too much though (although her combo attacks are killer), so I don't think she was even in my party at that point.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
vareon said:
After I understand how to play it, the only boss that gives such problem is
Masamune
. :p

After Golem Twins, the spoilered boss is the next hardest in the game. It's also (IIRC) the first boss fight to use the "epic boss" song rather than the regular boss song.

Still, I wouldn't consider any bosses other than those two hard at all, and only Golem Twins are hard enough for me to make a note for someone concerned about difficulty.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I haven't played CT in a while, admittedly, but I don't remember
Masa and Mune
posing much of a threat.

I do remember the
Golem Twins
, however. Oh, how I wish I forget how long it took me to defeat them the first time.

B.K. said:
Stuff like that NEEDS to be removed though. Woolsey put too much comedy in scenes that didn't need it. That's one of the things I hate about him.

But the translation's better for it.

Woolsey's one of the best localizers in the business.

ghibli99

Regarding the IGN review, I didn't have any problems with it really. It's the "Another Take" section that irked me a bit. He starts by saying he's never CT before, but dings it for being a port. How is this even relevant if you've never played the game before? If that's the case, review it on its own merit as someone who has never played it, not by making assumptions. Anyway, I'll be buying this, even though I played through it countless times on the SNES.

acidviper

Banned
The frog doesn't speak in Olde English. How disappointing. I wonder how the dialogue will change as they did have some jokes about it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
NeoUltima said:
Might be time for me to finally get a DS(even though I have played CT more times than I can count).

And CC is awesome, some of the hate is a bit too extreme. I can understand certain, story related things, people don't like about it, but it's still a great game. Also has one of the greatest soundtrack of all time(<- ye not even haters can disagree /w that one).
It's because the Chrono name was pretty much slapped on a mostly unreleated title. I got almost nerd-goosebumps in Chronopolis though :lol

ghibli99

Angry Grimace said:
It's because the Chrono name was pretty much slapped on a mostly unreleated title. I got almost nerd-goosebumps in Chronopolis though :lol
I think it was due to having too many characters. I like that CT has a cast just large enough to keep things nice and varied, but not so many that you feel overwhelmed (which is what happened to me in CC). I also missed the briskness of 16-bit battles, which is still a pretty sour point for me with Square PS1-era RPGs. The music, however, was phenomenal... and agreed about the goosebumps part. :)

CCs only crime was that it was not as good as CT, IMO. But otherwise it was a great game and was a worthy followup to CT.

Anyway, cant wait to play CT again. Have not played it in 8 years due to the unplayable PS port.

ccbfan

I think its a requirement on Gaf that any topic about a Chrono game needs to bust out a discussion of CC vs CT.

I don't want to machete my way through Chrono Cross arguments - can someone please tell me where/if "Battle 2" is used in the game?

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
ccbfan said:
I think its a requirement on Gaf that any topic about a Chrono game needs to bust out a discussion of CC vs CT.

If there are fans, there will be whiners. Some kind of yin-yang-duality shit.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
A shame that it won't be out in Europe until Q1 2009, but this time I'm not going to import since for once it'll be actually cheaper buying a game in EU (basically every SE game gets half price less than a week after release in the UK).

I'm itching to play this gem since if I've never ever played CT even if I've been playing for at least 25years, so it bothers me a bit I won't be able to play this game sooner: hopefully all those big promising holyday games will not fail me in spades :)

acidviper said:
The frog doesn't speak in Olde English. How disappointing. I wonder how the dialogue will change as they did have some jokes about it.

This has been addressed before but Frog never spoke in Old English. It's not even Middle English, it's Early Modern English, and even then his usage is mostly archaic and improper. Sorry just a picky little thing.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Himuro said:
Using d-pad with the old menu style.
The menus are great, dude. Much better than the old cluttered ones.

andymcc

Banned
The great thing about the IGN review is:

IGN said:
On the other hand, you've got the still very successful, still very quality-driven publisher strategy, which games like Front Mission 1st , Dragon Quest IV, and the now Chrono Trigger remake take, using 95% of a game already finished (or a basic port away from), and then delivering it repackaged to a new crowd of gamers.

justchris

Stumpokapow said:
After Golem Twins, the spoilered boss is the next hardest in the game. It's also (IIRC) the first boss fight to use the "epic boss" song rather than the regular boss song.

Still, I wouldn't consider any bosses other than those two hard at all, and only Golem Twins are hard enough for me to make a note for someone concerned about difficulty.

I don't know, I always found the final boss pretty difficult, although there are a couple of dual techs that just tear right through him.

Aeana said:
It's used in the arena.

Thanks.

That 95% quote reminds me of how FM: Border of Madness DS doesn't have any original music - it's all from 1st DS or a handful of songs adapted from 2/3/Online. :\

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Still killing shrooms outside the castle for the 4000 gold to buy that sword before I meet Marle.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Segata Sanshiro said:
They aren't wrong. DQIV DS is a port of the DQIV PSX remake, for the most part.
They are wrong, with DQIV DS they changed a lot even if it does use the same engine. Some of it looks like it was ripped out of DQVII, but there was new material and it looks pretty different from DQIV PSX.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
justchris said:
I don't know, I always found the final boss pretty difficult, although there are a couple of dual techs that just tear right through him.

With most of the post-Zeal bosses, about 50% of all party combinations can demolish them and the other 50 you might need to grind a bit. I pretty much never play any of the gimped parties, though, so I haven't much noticed difficulty issues arising :p

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Htown said:
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Objectively, the game IS a sequel to Chrono Trigger, as the plot continues from Chrono Trigger's plot and characters. SUBJECTIVELY, you think it's "hardly" a sequel because you think it doesn't mention them or follow from them enough or whatever your reasoning is.

Oh come on!, what are the links between the game?
Kid is an orphan raised by Lucca.
Cross world is an alternate dimension were Chrono & friends fucked the world.
References to Glenn (Frog), Magus (Guile, they hint it but never confirm it), the Masamune, Cyrus and Baby Ayla.
The last boss.
Kid's true identity.
Belthasar.
Lucca`s House is the same.
Supposedly the game is 24 years after CT.
Lenne's bell.
Kid's drawings of Robo, Marle, Lucca and Ayla in Lucca's house
The ghosts at the ending.

Those are hardly elements that link both games, most can be removed or explained in another form.
I NEVER said CC is a bad game, in fact IMO it is by far the best PS1 RPG and a much better game than anything not remake that has come since (IMO), I love the game, the music, the battle system, even the story.
But I think it is not a sequel of CT and I never considered it to be that.
And I think CT is a superior game, in pacing, scenario, characters, I even like the music more.

Trying to make Chrono Cross work without referencing Chrono Trigger would be like trying to get the 1955 portion of Back to the Future Part II to work while removing references to Back to the Future.

manueldelalas said:
Those are hardly elements that link both games, most can be removed or explained in another form.

But they aren't removed. They're in the game, and it explains what happens to a major side-character in CT. It's a sequel, deal with it.

Chrono Cross is as much of a sequel as Mother 3 is, just because neither star the same main characters, doesn't mean they aren't sequels.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
VistraNorrez said:
But they aren't removed. They're in the game, and it explains what happens to a major side-character in CT. It's a sequel, deal with it.

Chrono Cross is as much of a sequel as Mother 3 is, just because neither star the same main characters, doesn't mean they aren't sequels.

But that's not even the point.
Here is a list of relations between games:

Sequels:
FF X - FF X-2
Tales of Symphonia 2 (Wii ver.) to Tales of Symphonia

Prequels:
Lufia II to Lufia I
DQ III to DQ I&II
Baten Kaitos Origins to Baten Kaitos

Continuation of series (i.e. games that share the name and common elements)
Final Fantasy series (except the listed before)
Dragon Quest games (except the listed before)
Breath of Fire series (I and II in the same way as CT and CC)
Mother series
Chrono series
Tales Series
etc

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
JoshuaJSlone said:
Trying to make Chrono Cross work without referencing Chrono Trigger would be like trying to get the 1955 portion of Back to the Future Part II to work while removing references to Back to the Future.

Normally I frown on analogies that actually make the original situation MORE complicated, but I'm pretty sure this was just an excuse to talk about Back to the Future and I'm ok with that.

manueldelalas said:
But that's not even the point.
Here is a list of relations between games:

Sequels:
FF X - FF X-2
Tales of Symphonia 2 (Wii ver.) to Tales of Symphonia

Prequels:
Lufia II to Lufia I
DQ III to DQ I&II
Baten Kaitos Origins to Baten Kaitos

Continuation of series (i.e. games that share the name and common elements)
Final Fantasy series (except the listed before)
Dragon Quest games (except the listed before)
Breath of Fire series (I and II in the same way as CT and CC)
Mother series
Chrono series
Tales Series
etc
It's a sequel (in the storyline follow-up sense) because the people who made the game said so. That by itself is enough to objectively say it's a sequel. That you make odd arbitrary distinctions for your own purposes is of little use or concern to everyone in the world that isn't you.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
The first time I played CT, I got up to Magus and was profoundly whipped to pieces due to my constant "rush rush rush" gameplay style with RPGs. I never played it again after that, nor CC.

I did however go through Radical Dreamers back when it was first translated and enjoyed that a lot, so I've decided that when the game hits I'll do a Chrono saga playthrough.

jj984jj said:
They are wrong, with DQIV DS they changed a lot even if it does use the same engine. Some of it looks like it was ripped out of DQVII, but there was new material and it looks pretty different from DQIV PSX.
You've got some pretty magic eyes if you think DQIV DS looks "pretty different" from DQIV PSX. They used the same sprites, the same textures and 3d models for the environments, the same music, the same animations for the enemies in battles, and even the same spell effects for the most part. This game is either a port or Arte Piazza's got some expert fucking tracers.

Top Bottom