• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger DS: The |OT|

Christopher

Marlie's theme is the lullaby song.

I'm guessing I don't have to do the Black Omen now...these monsters are owning me left and right :(.

Christopher said:
Marlie's theme is the lullaby song.

I'm guessing I don't have to do the Black Omen now...these monsters are owning me left and right :(.
Yeah, upgrade your weapons and come back. They'll still be there.... except... you didn't kill any of the panels or bosses without stealing from them did you?

Christopher said:
Marlie Frog and Magus :(

I got attached to Marlie from the whole intro and I just outright love frog.
Fair enough. I did that the first time. I finished the game the first time with Crono, Marle and Lucca (original three) and didn't find out about how awesome Ayla was until much later.

Gamer @ Heart said:
How far am i through the game?

Im at the first Lavos fight in the underground palace.
Three quarters of the way to the end (not counting end-game side quests).

Two thirds if you do all the end-game sidequests.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
viciouskillersquirrel said:
Fair enough. I did that the first time. I finished the game the first time with Crono, Marle and Lucca (original three) and didn't find out about how awesome Ayla was until much later.

Ayla was absolutely freakin' amazing once she got past 60 or so, I think I've charmed every enemy that can be charmed in the game. The payoff in CT is so great as opposed to most other games 'stealing' mechanics.

Metroidvania said:
Ayla was absolutely freakin' amazing once she got past 60 or so, I think I've charmed every enemy that can be charmed in the game. The payoff in CT is so great as opposed to most other games 'stealing' mechanics.
You're not wrong. The stuff you can steal from the Black Omen bosses/monsters is as good if not better than most of the rewards from the end-game sidequests. I ended up having the problem of not knowing whether to equip each of my characters with stat boosters or golden studs.

Gamer @ Heart said:
Holy shit. Some serious crap just happened. How long am i without him?
You'll need to do one more quest to get him back.

gunstarhero

Originally Posted by gunstarhero:
Hey guys -

I just beat the first boss and seem to be stuck already! :p

I cant seem to progress any further in the game - I read GameFaqs after looking around for an hour (there's not too many places to look so early in the game!) and it says to go back to Truce Canyon to teleport out of there... but I cant find anything in Truce Canyon!

Am I missing something?!?
The door between screens can be kind of hard to see. Try following your position on the map instead of the top screen. If you make it to the screen where you teleported in originally, try pressing A where the portal was to make it show up.

Thanks - but that isn't working - I literally pixel crawled the entire area where I teleported in and nothing is happening. Fucking weird.

Since it's only the first boss, I guess I'll start it over and see if it happens again.

Too bad - i was really getting into this game.

So I was looking through the Treasure Atlas on my car ride home today, and it's really quite a useful feature. It helped me find many items I had missed. A few things about it confused me, though. First, there were some chests that said they contained "Item X -OR- Item Y" in the Porre Mayor's House and the Northern Ruins. How does that work? What did I do to get one item instead of the other? Also, I saw some areas in the Treasure Atlas in the Dimensional Vortex that I didn't remember seeing in either of my games. I went back to check, but they still didn't show up. What am I doing wrong?

Besides getting items shown in the Treasure Atlas, I've also been raising my monster in the Arena of Ages. I'm up to Tier 5, which I think I remember reading somewhere earlier in this thread that it's the highest you can go. Is this correct? I sent my monster off with a Feral Wrath just in case my memory was wrong and there's a Tier 6.

gunstarhero said:
Thanks - but that isn't working - I literally pixel crawled the entire area where I teleported in and nothing is happening. Fucking weird.

Since it's only the first boss, I guess I'll start it over and see if it happens again.

Too bad - i was really getting into this game.
Does Lucca have the Gate Key? Does Marle still have the amulet? You might have missed triggering some event or something.

cooljeanius said:
... there were some chests that said they contained "Item X -OR- Item Y" in the Porre Mayor's House and the Northern Ruins. How does that work? What did I do to get one item instead of the other?

If I'm remembering this right, those are the sealed chests that you open after charging your pendant at the Mammon Machine and you go to the 600 A.D. chest and examine but NOT open it, then go to 1000 A.D. and the item is powered up. Then you can go back to 600 A.D. and open the chest if you want.

Red Scarlet

gunstarhero said:
Hey guys -

I just beat the first boss and seem to be stuck already! :p

I cant seem to progress any further in the game - I read GameFaqs after looking around for an hour (there's not too many places to look so early in the game!) and it says to go back to Truce Canyon to teleport out of there... but I cant find anything in Truce Canyon!

Am I missing something?!?

Once you beat the first boss you are sent back to the castle. Then you have to go to Leene's room where Marle disappeared, and she will come back and join the party. Then you go to the top-right corner of Truce Canyon and you'll automatically go through the gate back to 1000. It sounds like you didn't go back to where Marle disappeared.

Christopher

In the middle ages there was like a sand vortex I went in it and there was a boss was there any sort of background/story behind it??

Aru

Christopher said:
In the middle ages there was like a sand vortex I went in it and there was a boss was there any sort of background/story behind it??

Yeah, if you do what you are asked for just after beating the boss, you'll have a cutscene.
And what you do in this cutscene has a (minor) influence on the normal ending

I put this game down for months and I can't remember what I was doing. (I'm pretty far, so I'm spoilering what has recently happened)

Chrono just died. Scanning Gamefaqs I think I'm supposed to get one of those Dolls. It looks like there's one in Chrono's room, but I can't pick it up.

What's the deal?

Have you talked to Gaspar yet? He hands you the Chrono Trigger / Time Egg and tells you to find a replica of Crono. Then you should be able to pick up the doll from Crono's house.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Jimmy Stav said:
I put this game down for months and I can't remember what I was doing. (I'm pretty far, so I'm spoilering what has recently happened)

Chrono just died. Scanning Gamefaqs I think I'm supposed to get one of those Dolls. It looks like there's one in Chrono's room, but I can't pick it up.

What's the deal?
I think you talk to Crono's mom to get that.

SabinFigaro said:
Have you talked to Gaspar yet? He hands you the Chrono Trigger / Time Egg and tells you to find a replica of Crono. Then you should be able to pick up the doll from Crono's house.

Yeah, I have that stuff. I'm at his house and I'm not seeing anything. There's a doll sitting on his bed that I can't pick up (it's some creature).

EDIT: I tried talking to his mom and I'm not getting anything. And I don't have an egg, but I do have the chrono trigger.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Jimmy Stav said:
Yeah, I have that stuff. I'm at his house and I'm not seeing anything. There's a doll sitting on his bed that I can't pick up (it's some creature).

EDIT: I tried talking to his mom and I'm not getting anything. And I don't have an egg, but I do have the chrono trigger.
Do you remember playing the game at the fair and winning the doll there? That's where you get it. Maybe what you're seeing at his house isn't the doll.

You know, I thought I never liked this game back in the day. While I liked the concept, I disliked most the characters. Frog and Magus bored the hell out of me and the storyline was just a complete flustercluck. The setting was too oppressive and hostile for me to enjoy too. You're just this kid and the whole entire time-space continuum is trying to fuck you in the ass. Then it turns into a mess at the end and I never even bothered to finish it.

And, on first glance, I like it even less now that Toriyama's art is clearer and more prominent. Crono looks especially ugly.

But I've stolen hours of sleep time the last few days just staying up and playing the shit out of this game. It's seriously fucking addicting. I think I just forgot how great it works just as a simple adventure. I got goosebumps back when Crono jumped into the very first portal.

"What? You're gonna chase after her?"
Of fucking course I'm gonna chase after her.

Cocopjojo said:
Do you remember playing the game at the fair and winning the doll there? That's where you get it. Maybe what you're seeing at his house isn't the doll.

Ah, that was it. Thanks.

Can someone remind me where "Nu" is located? I know he's in 2300 AD but I have no idea where.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Jimmy Stav said:

You need a different doll,
it has Chrono's appearance. You have to play the 40 points game in the house of horrors at the fair to get it as a prize.

Edit: problem already solved.

So I kind of stopped playing this once I got my monster in the Arena of Ages up to Tier 6... Most of the stuff I have left to do would require a new save file, and all my save files are used right now, so I want to wait until I leave for college when I won't be around the kid anymore whose using my last save file, so then I can delete it and use it for myself. That sounds meaner than it should...

Jimmy Stav said:
Can someone remind me where "Nu" is located? I know he's in 2300 AD but I have no idea where.
Follow my horrible map to the Keeper's Dome!

fnts3n.jpg

Insaniac said:
question: whats the difference between magic and tech points stuff?
Magic skills are indicated by a star next to the spell, whereas tech skills have no marker. At the beginning of the game, you are able to learn tech skills, but not magic. Magic can only be learned once you have reached the
End of Time and "done the run" around Spekkio's room
. Only Crono, Marle, Lucca and Frog need their magic "unlocked".

Otherwise, magic and techs share the same MP pool, and are learned the same way (i.e. there are no separate points earned in battle for tech and magic). Furthermore, accessories that reduce MP usage are universal for both techs and magic.

I'm not sure if this is what you were looking for exactly, so let me know.

So I just beat it for the first time and I get Ending 1, which I'm assuming is a lame ending?

If so, I'm confused. I did every sidequest, The Black Omen, and defeated every form of Lavos. Shouldn't I have gotten something better?

Jimmy Stav said:
So I just beat it for the first time and I get Ending 1, which I'm assuming is a lame ending?

If so, I'm confused. I did every sidequest, The Black Omen, and defeated every form of Lavos. Shouldn't I have gotten something better?

I got ending one and I didn't think anything was wrong with it. For a good portion of the other endings there's special things you have to do that aren't entirely obvious, all of the qualifications are here.

So I've been watching the kid who I'm letting use my third save file play, and it's interesting seeing how he plays the game differently from me. He almost got a guilty verdict (it was 4-3 not guilty) in the trial because he didn't save the girl's cat like I told him to and made a few other missteps. Then in jail he didn't escape his cell and Lucca had to come rescue him at his execution, which was cool. He had to stop before he got to the Dragon Tank. Can't wait to see how he reacts to that... :D

Ok, so he's up to the future now. His reaction to the Dragon Tank wasn't what I expected... I really wish he would talk to more people. I'm afraid he's going to miss stuff by blasting by everything. Ethics question: Would I be wrong to go get story-required items (
e.g. Doppel Doll
) that he would probably miss otherwise, or just let him suffer the consequences of not fully exploring everything?

Just a heads up: This just got a universal price drop to $19.99.

It's a nice one to get with Best Buy's Buy 1 Get 1 Free deal on DS games this week. Just make sure to get the correct price, as the shelf price/price sticker may still be outdated.

(Henry Hatsworth also dropped to $19.99, BTW.)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
My mind just completely melted at the Jetbike race.

Octagon

I don't get this, is this some kind or bug or what... ??
no matter how often i fight
Atropos
with Robo,
the Ribbon never drops. It always says it does but i don't have it in my inventory
and his def doesn't rise.

Xenomorph

Banned
Is this worth buying a DS over? Chrono Trigger is by far the best game ever created but I can only play it on my SNES. Worth it GAF or should I go for a PSP and get me some metal fear lovin?

Lee N

Membre
Xenomorph said:
Is this worth buying a DS over? Chrono Trigger is by far the best game ever created but I can only play it on my SNES. Worth it GAF or should I go for a PSP and get me some metal fear lovin?
No, it's not worth getting a DS for Chrono Trigger, however it's worth getting a DS for Chrono Trigger and every other awesome game for the system.

Seriously, you're missing out on so much.

Grampasso

Octagon said:
I don't get this, is this some kind or bug or what... ??
no matter how often i fight
Atropos
with Robo,
the Ribbon never drops. It always says it does but i don't have it in my inventory
and his def doesn't rise.
You mean she-robo? He raises Robo's speed by 3 if I remember well, and it's a permanent increase, you won't see the item if I remember well

Hm! So I finally beat this game.

Aside from the excellent soundtrack I wasn't that impressed.... personally I'd label this game "good" but not "great".

Oh yeah, and reading up on Chrono Cross' story on wikipedia nearly made my eyes roll out of my head. What were they smoking lol.

So I finally put some large hours into this game after owning it forever. It's about as good as I remembered from way back when. Phenomenal first half but kinda falls apart when it breaks out the non-linear stuff. Just crumbles really.

But the reason I'm bumping this is because of the Lost Tribe or whatever the DS questline is called. This is *THE* worst shit ever. So much fucking backtracking, and the goddamn enemies. Fuckin impossible to avoid shitfucks. Fucking fighting the same three fogs, the same two rats, the same three birdies, like thirty fucking times. And god the back tracking. It's downright hilarious how shitty it is compared to anything else in the game. Whoever made it should be embarassed. It actually made me sick of the soundtrack.

Oh and I just saw my initial impressions from way back when. I like Frog a *ton* better this time around.
Robo and Magus are still lame though, and Toriyama's art is ugly as fuck. The in game cinematics look better than the movies.

Can anyine help me with this part of Chrono Trigger? It's the SNES version, and it seems I should be able to walk to the right, but the spot where Chrono is standing there is an invisible wall and I can't get out of that area. It's the first building I entered when I
went to the future. (Old game I know but I don't want to spoil anyone)

vhezkj.jpg

I'm not sure if it's a bug or if I'm missing something, but I really don't want to replay the start of the game, and if I put it down now I'll probably never go back. This is my first time playing this game by the way.

So I was at Best Buy and saw some copies of CT:DS that had a sticker saying "Poster Inside: First Run Only." I'm thinking of picking up the game anyway, but does anyone have pics of the poster and know how big it is?

Vard

Just started the game (for the first time) and I can already tell this game is going to be great. I haven't been this excited about playing an RPG for a long time.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Vard said:
Just started the game (for the first time) and I can already tell this game is going to be great. I haven't been this excited about playing an RPG for a long time.

HYPE HYPE HYPE.

Yeah, this is one of the few games that can take it.

Top Bottom