• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cincinnati braces for footage release in campus cop killing (Up: Murder charge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idba

Yup, air freshner like he says...probably, don't think it was full, angle might have tipped the liquid. He says he can smell it and he passes it to the officer when he specifically asks for the bottle, not the license at that time. Officer brings it closer, says okay and puts it on the car.

Tries to get him to leave the vehicle for not having a front plate, guy thinks about getting away and starts the car, officers tries to hold him down, then kills him.

Well he did get away after the cop killed him.

Tries to get him to leave the vehicle for not having a front plate, guy thinks about getting away and starts the car, officers tries to hold him down, then kills him.
I don't see it that way.
I think cop was trying to get him out. Opened the door, guy closed it. Grab the keys to stop him from moving, guy grabs keys to stop cop from getting them. Then I think cop pulls gun, guy jumps back because OMG GUN and then the cop shoots him..

Garlador

Really tough listening to the victim's mother. She's trying so hard to hold it all together. I really hope the community gives her and her family all the support they need.

"If he asks for forgiveness, I can forgive him."

That's a lot more strength than I would have.

Skyzard

Banned
I don't see it that way.
I think cop was trying to get him out. Opened the door, guy closed it. Grab the keys to stop him from moving, guy grabs keys to stop cop from getting them. Then I think cop pulls gun, guy jumps back because OMG GUN and then the cop shoots him..

How'd the car go off like that with no keys?

He might not have been holding him down though... It still isn't all that clear in the better video when it starts to move. Maybe he was going for the seatbelt or the keys or just fighting his arms before he killed him.

low-G

Hopefully the cop gets the death sentence which leads to thousands of other cops being executed under the law & finally reform happens.

Criminal records / violent tendencies disallowed from police work nationwide for life. Police force is threatened, but wadges raised.

Police force collective IQ increases by 40 points over a period of 30 years. Police average pay is $120K/year.

Police begin to do actual investigative work. Find massive corporate corruption. Thousands of politicians and CEOs are found guilty of massive crimes against humanity.

World peace in 80 years.

First FTL spacecraft launches in 2156.

It begins with a verdict.

How'd the car go off with no keys?

He might not have been holding him down though... It still isn't all that clear in the better video when it starts to move. Maybe he was going for the seatbelt or the keys or just fighting his arms before he killed him.

I think he never actually got the keys because the cop pulled the gun on him.
The car obviously wasn't in park, don't think the guy put it in park at all. It was probably on drive. He might have hit the acceleration due to his weight of dropping dead. We don't know. Don't think he changed gears because both hands were visable the whole time.

This is sickening. It's so sad we have to live in a world where if a cop feels slightly threatened (or more likely that they get pissed off) They blow your head off. I'm so happy he is getting a murder charge but it still doesn't change the fact that someone is dead.
That is what I don't get. Obviously the driver put his hands up when he saw the gun.

kaskade

This is sickening. It's so sad we have to live in a world where if a cop feels slightly threatened (or more likely that they get pissed off) They blow your head off. I'm so happy he is getting a murder charge but it still doesn't change the fact that someone is dead.

heyf00L

I think he never actually got the keys because the cop pulled the gun on him.
The car obviously wasn't in park, don't think the guy put it in park at all. It was probably on drive. He might have hit the acceleration due to his weight of dropping dead. We don't know. Don't think he changed gears because both hands were visable the whole time.

Most cars won't start unless they're in park. It must have been in park, started, then shifted into drive.

DeBose doesn't reach for the gun; I didn't say he did. At 1:54 he reaches for and grabs the cop's left arm which is inside the car. But by 1:55 he's let go and has both hands up.

My bad Fry! could have sworn you said gun, well i'm in total agreement then

the HD full footage...just watched it all and slowed down the killing, i feel sick

So is it a novelty air freshener? the 'Gin' bottle (which appears unopened by the cap and neck ring looking joined)

The Cop was a dick over asking for the License he was told multiple times Debose didn't have it, but seemed to be wanting specific wording from DeBose, and got himself annoyed Debose wasn't answering in exactly the way he wanted

Is it illegal in Cincinatti to not have a License plate at the front? Debose said it isn't the cop disagreed - if its as Debose said its an even more bogus stop, if it was illegal then its still a bogus stop just had a 'reason' for the intial stopping, but man must a slow day if you have to stop a car over that

but that brief couple of seconds slowed down, the moment the cop goes for the keys, he's already bringing his right arm up and raising the gun, by the time DeBose goes to grab the cops arm from coming into his car, the Cop is leveling the gun, and as DeBose raises arms and surrenders he's putting it in his face and then just pulls the trigger

I can't see a good defense at all in this situation, it was so bad on every level

Most cars won't start unless they're in park. It must have been in park, started, then shifted into drive.
This is true.
But who says the car was turned off? It could have been on and put on drive. If no gravity was going on, it could stay still while on drive.
The only thing the video shows was the car was completely still until the shot.

Although it could be in park and the car might be so old it will go forward if you hit the accelerator really hard. Who knows.

Well, they fired him. One step at a time.
Indeed.

GhaleonEB

P6zcgJo.png

1001.jpg

That looks like a bottle of pee. I wonder if he was too embarrassed to say as much and just called it air freshener.

Watching the better version of the video, The cop pulls the gun the moment he is touched. The driver touches his hand, realizes he touched the cop and raises his hands up, and the cop shoots him in the head at point blank range anyways.

Basically he was executed for touching the cop.

norm9

So let's say he goes to prison. Does he get special treatment (in both connotations- 1. He's a cop so the guards look after him, or 2. Do they leave him to the gen pop to be dealt with since he fucked up by getting caught thereby fucking it up for all the other cops out there that may or may not be abusing their power)?

The video. He turns it off at 0:19.
Yeah, it was probably off and in the drive position then. Cars can still move in that case.
He might have turned it back on because he realized he didn't put it in park. Just a guess..

I am pretty confident he didn't shift gears though which would indicate him getting ready to flee.

He started the car again, which is when the cop went insane and pulled out his gun and shot him
Yeah, I figured he might have put if off in drive accidentally, was going to turn it on to put it in park and cop thought he was going to flee.
Still though, every cop thing ever says to shoot the tires first.

Grym

Is it illegal in Cincinatti to not have a License plate at the front?

I believe Ohio requires a front and back license plate to be displayed. I'm assuming the car was registered/licensed with Ohio plates...?

Oh man. there is currently legislation in the Ohio house that would not have allowed the officer to even pull him over in the first place

http://www.akronlegalnews.com/editorial/12590

House Bill 104, would prohibit a law enforcement officer from issuing a ticket, citation or summons to the owner or operator of a moving or parked motor vehicle, or arresting or commencing a prosecution of the owner or operator, solely because a front license plate was not displayed.

In order to enforce the plate requirement, an officer would have to have some other valid reason to stop or cite a motorist.

The owner of the vehicle could still be fined for each offense up to a maximum of $25 with no points added to their driving record.

$25...or you life :(

Enron

Banned
at BEST (for the defense) i think they might have a case for "finger was on the trigger while struggling, accidentally pulled" but I don't think it will matter because why was your gun drawn in the first place at that point, and why the hell was your finger anywhere inside of the trigger guard.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Yeah, it was probably off and in the drive position then. Cars can still move in that case.
He might have turned it back on for some reason. IDK.

I am pretty confident he didn't shift gears though which would indicate him getting ready to flee.
He started the car again, which is when the cop went insane and pulled out his gun and shot him

heyf00L

He might have turned it back on because he realized he didn't put it in park. Just a guess..

You're tolling, huh, because that was the first thing I replied to. Oh well.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Don't think it was that long ago that they killed a man for running away and tried to cover it up:

qHsbRW5.jpg

DXJUb2P.png

Nothing changed that was effective except for the cameras.

Good Lord that was terrible , taht old man was going to be done running in another 20 meters too like it was such an immediate and life or death situation...geez...damn liars...

I believe Ohio requires a front and back license plate to be displayed. I'm assuming the car was registered/licensed with Ohio plates...?

Yep, that's right. But Cincinatti borders two states (Indiana and Kentucky) that don't require two license plates so it's not something people get pulled over for very often. When I lived there I never had a front license plate and never had a cop say anything to me about it (even when pulled over).

Opto

Banned
I don't hear the cop saying get out of the car. Cop says to victim "take your seatbelt off" as he's opening up the cardoor, which seems pretty suspect. No "Please step out of the car"

Hard to see, but the victim seems to raise his left towards the gun, but in a defense manner, because his left hand is up when he's shot.

I don't hear the cop saying get out of the car. Cop says to victim "take your seatbelt off" as he's opening up the cardoor, which seems pretty suspect. No "Please step out of the car"

Hard to see, but the victim seems to raise his left towards the gun, but in a defense manner, because his left hand is up when he's shot.
Agreed.
He was forcing the guy out of the car instead of making a threat and then acting accordingly, which is against most Criminal Law.

From the footage, I really didn't see anything the guy was doing worth pointing a gun at ... but that is just me.

andymcc

Banned

Oh man. there is currently legislation in the Ohio house that would not have allowed the officer to even pull him over in the first place

correct me if i am wrong, but i think the guy was from kentucky where you do not have to have both sides plated.

marrec

Banned
Just a reminder, this is how the police were reporting this shooting when it first broke:

CNN said:
Tensing asked several times to see Dubose's driver's license, Cincinnati police said. Instead, police said, Dubose handed the officer a bottle of alcohol. Tensing asked Dubose to step out of the car, at which point a struggle ensued, police said.

"There was a struggle at the door with Mr. Dubose in the vehicle and the officer outside the vehicle, and the vehicle sped away," Cincinnati police Lt. Col. James Whalen told reporters.

Tensing fired a single shot, hitting the driver in the head as he attempted to flee. Police said the car rolled about a block before crashing.

It appeared that Dubose did not have a weapon, police said.

Tensing has five years' experience in law enforcement and has worked for the University of Cincinnati Police Department for more than a year.

A CNN records search showed that Dubose had more than 60 arrests. He was a father to 13 children, according to CNN affiliate WKRC-TV.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/21/us/cincinnati-police-shooting/index.html

marrec

Banned
That part with handing the bottle of alcohol instead of his license is terrible and a sorry attempt to frame the narrative. The officer specifically asked about the bottle.

The whole thing is almost completely different from what actually happened. :(

Without the video this would have gone by the wayside. The GAF thread on it only had 2 pages. :(

NickFire

The victim did absolutely nothing to warrant deadly force. Polite disagreement and trying to keep a door shut is not threatening the cops life.

The victim also did not do anything to warrant the cop even having his gun in hand. If he thought that his life was even slightly in danger talking to that guy, he does not belong in a police uniform.

I do suspect he may avoid a first degree murder conviction though, because it happened so fast I think an argument can be made there was no premeditation or other felony to hang first degree on.

Nafai1123

Banned
The cops attorney said he pulled him over because after noticing he didn't have a front plate he ran it and found that a woman owned it with a suspended license. TBH I don't think the reason for pulling him over was unusual but everything after that was just fucking awful.

Squalor

That part with handing the bottle of alcohol instead of his license is terrible and a sorry attempt to frame the narrative. The officer specifically asked about the bottle.
I still find it hilarious the guy said it was air freshener.

That bottle is definitely sealed, but I wonder if he were drunk. Let's get that toxicology out just because I'm curious.

Nothing excuses that headshot.

The whole thing is almost completely different from what actually happened. :(

Without the video this would have gone by the wayside. The GAF thread on it only had 2 pages. :(
Yeah, I assume CNN reported what the police stated, which was from the guy's POV. He seems to want to slander the driver's character so he would get off killing someone. Even if it was accidental, that is still pretty low.

Grym

Yep, that's right. But Cincinatti borders two states (Indiana and Kentucky) that don't require two license plates so it's not something people get pulled over for very often. When I lived there I never had a front license plate and never had a cop say anything to me about it (even when pulled over).

Yeah, pretty much all of Ohio is the odd man out on this one. No one around them requires front and back plates. All surrounding states are single back plate states (Indiana, Michigan, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Kentucky)

Malvolio

How strange that if the cop was killed the mention of how many kids he had would have been used to garner sympathy. A black man is killed and it's clear that the children he leaves behind are mentioned in an attempt to show how terrible of a person he was.

How strange that if the cop was killed the mention of how many kids he had would have been used to garner sympathy. A black man is killed and it's clear that the children he leaves behind are mentioned in an attempt to show how terrible of a person he was.
He had an empty gin bottle filled with piss. He has 13 kids. Obviously he is a terrible person who deserved to die. /s

... It's pretty shocking, and sickening, to realize just how close this was to the man getting awarded a medal for this instead of being charged for murder.
I think it is terrible how humanity feels like having to slander other people to make themselves look better. Leaves a bad taste in mouth.

I can't believe the focus in this thread on (a) the fact that he was a campus cop (or why there is a need for a campus cop) and (b) whether or not the guy was going to accelerate and drive away.

Seriously?

I think it's nice, we all agree that it was murder so we can discuss minor things.

marrec

Banned

Yep, it's listed right under his arrest record and with zero sympathy.

Xcellere

A CNN records search showed that Dubose had more than 60 arrests. He was a father to 13 children, according to CNN affiliate WKRC-TV.

Guaranteed that this is what plenty of people will be focusing on instead of the overwhelming power of the video.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
FUCK why do I read youtube comments? WHY? OMG RAGERAGE NEED SEDATIVES POIEWU PKNBPQOEI SADFJC<>MXCVZOI!!!

*deep breaths*

If you resist, you're likely to be shot. If you run, you're very likely to be shot. If you do anything other than complete compliance, you are risking your life.

Your fellow countrymen will judge your corpse as a criminal, because only criminals run or resist, right?

This is the state of the country that I live in. Its unsettling.

If you resist, you're likely to be shot. If you run, you're very likely to be shot. If you do anything other than complete compliance, you are risking your life.
What baffles me is how people will probably defend the cop trying to take the guy's keys. Like no ...

Africanus

FUCK why do I read youtube comments? WHY? OMG RAGERAGE NEED SEDATIVES POIEWU PKNBPQOEI SADFJC<>MXCVZOI!!!

*deep breaths*

Your fellow countrymen will judge your corpse as a criminal, because only criminals run or resist, right?

This is the state of the country that I live in. Its unsettling.

Nah compliance gets you shot as well.
Someone can pull up the video of the officer who asked a man to produce his license and registration, and when the man went to pull it out, shot him for "reaching in a suspicious manner".

Mr. X

Nah compliance gets you shot as well.
Someone can pull up the video of the officer who asked a man to produce his license and registration, and when the man went to pull it out, shot him for "reaching in a suspicious manner".
At a gas station right? Yeah, that was awful to see. What happened in the end?

I love how they bring up his history to dehumanize and try to make the cop look like he did the world a favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom