• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cincinnati braces for footage release in campus cop killing (Up: Murder charge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nafai1123

Banned
What's really fucked up too is the fact that he just goes to open the car door. Not once does he say "please step out of the vehicle" which I'm pretty sure cops are always supposed to do.

nilbog21

Banned
Why the fuck did he shoot him ......... Good fucking lord

i also love how he just goes to open the fucking door.. people have rights you know??

What's your point? He's wearing a body cam, as will all Cincinnati police in the near future, and is getting charged with murder and aggravated assault instead of being put on paid leave for a couple of months before getting cleared of all wrongdoing and resuming work. More and more of these incidents are being picked up by the media and the discussion has moved beyond the communities most affected.
Hopefully states more aggressively fund body cams now.

Flo_Evans

What's really fucked up too is the fact that he just goes to open the car door. Not once does he say "please step out of the vehicle" which I'm pretty sure cops are always supposed to do.

Yeah I did think that was odd.

Cops can order you out of the vehicle but can they just open your doors?

HeySeuss

It seemed strange for a campus cop to be handling non-campus traffic offenses in the first place. I'm guessing this was a case of someone who loves the authority of being a cop and was trying to impress the bordering police department. Probably a justifiable stop, but at the same time a case where I would bet most cops in his position would never have made the stop.

Pretty much. The mutual aid agreement isn't meant for them to just pull people over and make work for themselves. Most campus officers understand the reason behind it and that they're not supposed to just go out and run traffic on the city streets.

The trying to impress the bordering police department is probably spot on too. A lot of younger campus police officers think that working as a campus cop is demeaning and beneath them. They usually see those jobs as a stepping stone to a larger department where they can bust heads, and campus police are usually more community oriented and customer service focused.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/21/us/cincinnati-police-shooting/index.html

He gave his first statements to investigators on Tuesday, along with two other campus police officers who arrived as Tensing and Dubose started struggling, according to Michele Ralston, spokeswoman for the force.

say what? two other officers! have they been indited on any charges? Conspiracy? Accessory?

In case you missed what Hamilton County prosecuting attorney, Joseph T. Deters said this afternoon:
In case you missed what Hamilton County prosecuting attorney, Joseph T. Deters said this afternoon:

“It was a senseless, asinine shooting,” Mr. Deters said at a news conference, using stark terms to denounce the July 19 episode, Officer Tensing’s claims about it and the officer himself. “This office has probably reviewed upwards of 100 police shootings, and this is the first time we’ve thought, ‘This is without question a murder.’ ”

“He wasn’t dealing with someone who was wanted for murder,” he said. “He was dealing with someone who didn’t have a front license plate. This was, in the vernacular, a pretty chicken-crap stop.”

A lawyer for Officer Tensing, Stew Mathews, disputed Mr. Deters’s comments during an interview with an Ohio television station and said that other video of the shooting would tell a completely different story. Mr. Mathews said Mr. Tensing cried when he heard of the indictment.

The county prosecutor’s office said that no law enforcement officer in Hamilton County had ever before been indicted on murder charges for use of force while on duty. At the news conference, Mr. Deters said Officer Tensing “should never have been a police officer,” but he declined to elaborate.

Asked if he thought Officer Tensing, 25, had tried to mislead investigators with his account of the shooting, Mr. Deters said, “Yeah, yes, I think he was making an excuse for the purposeful killing of another person.”

“I think he lost his temper because Mr. Dubose wouldn’t get out of his car,” he said.

Rashanda Reid said her twin sister, Dashanda, and Mr. Dubose had gotten engaged the day before he died. “They didn’t get a chance to set a date,” she said.

“This doesn’t happen in the United States, O.K.?” he said. “People don’t get shot for a traffic stop.”

Aww hell no the officer is still trying to claim innocence after that video? no camera angle will make that look different

He shouldn't have ever been a police officer? i bet he's had a violent past either that or he failed psych evals

asian250

If you guys watch the video....he clearly starts the car again after he had shut it off at the beginning of the stop. He also pulled to close the door of the vehicle. This indicated to the officer that he was about to flee in the vehicle (Felony in Texas) dont know about that state. This did not indicate at all that he was about to stop and get out. He was already being uncooperative.

That being said, the officer's response was not appropriate, but an uncooperative subject could do anything hence why the officer had his gun out. Once the guy started resisting, the officer most likely had a automatic response to his trigger finger and pulled while fighting.

If the officer didn't shoot the him, he most likely would of taken off, and a pursuit would happen endangering bystanders.

Jenov

Wow, that's pretty damning footage. I guess his defense will try and argue that he felt threatened that the car would drag him and shot the guy in self defense. It just happened so fast, it doesn't seem reasonable at all to have shot him. I think he'll lose if there's trial and a jury watches that video. Definitely more body cameras needed, they're great to help clarify situations like this and protect both cops and the public.

Jarmel

Banned
As a black male, it feels like I'm living in a military state where if I do anything possibly illegal, I might be killed for it.

stufte

If you guys watch the video....he clearly starts the car again after he had shut it off at the beginning of the stop. He also pulled to close the door of the vehicle. This indicated to the officer that he was about to flee in the vehicle (Felony in Texas) dont know about that state. This did not indicate at all that he was about to stop and get out. He was already being uncooperative.

That being said, the officer's response was not appropriate, but an uncooperative subject could do anything hence why the officer had his gun out. Once the guy started resisting, the officer most likely had a automatic response to his trigger finger and pulled while fighting.

If the officer didn't shoot the him, he most likely would of taken off, and a pursuit would happen endangering bystanders.

Slippery slope, amirite?

Are you trolling?

Xcellere

For the life of me I can't figure out what was going through the cop's mind when he shot him. Was the driver turning on the car enough of an instigator to take the situation from 0 to 100? The progression is mind boggling.

Edit: Oh lawd, there always has to be that one guy:

Took 8 pages, but we finally got one.

As a black male, it feels like I'm living in a military state where if I do anything possibly illegal, I might be killed for it.

I feel like all I have to do is be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I've been pulled over for being in Vegas with temp plates and Cali registration... Just let that sink in

You really doing this? You sure you want to do this?

boiled goose

good with gravy

Uncooperative subject could do anything?

Disobeying a cop means you shoot get shot.

FUCK THAT.

CoilShot

What

Afrocious

Hell, as a man with dark skin, I agree with you. In fact, I feel like I'm living in a place where if I even piss off a white person - my life is at risk.

“This doesn’t happen in the United States, O.K.?” he said. “People don’t get shot for a traffic stop.”

Yes. They do. This isn't the first time to that dance, and it won't be the last.

Edit:

There's always fucking one.

Naw, I don't believe you're serious. Good shot at it though, had me going for a whole.

theWB27

I mean...wow.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member

Victim blaming and a slippery slope...
I sincerely hope you're trolling

andthebeatgoeson

It depends on where you live, but you probably won't live to see "true justice." That said, certain places are moving towards it, and I think cases like these are reason to be optimistic.
Yeah, I'm optimistic. And can appreciate the perspective of the guys in the 50's. The struggle is too real that you have to resist. You have to fight back. Otherwise, we risk 'winning' 'small' victories. But progress is good and worth celebrating. But the more you read about racism and learn about how deep the rabbit hole goes, the more we have to let every single person know how unacceptable this is.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

misc-fEEd.png
misc-fEEd.png
misc-fEEd.png

And this is why I have no clue what society wants from me. No matter what happens to me, as a black male, it's my fault.

Reading this makes me want to puke.

Gonna just pretend you're fucking with us.

I hope they throw the book at this cop, but it has to be said, if you are a black person in America dealing with the cops, don't try anything. They have all the power - you really have no choice but to be totally compliant. They will fucking shoot you in the head.

What does GAF think should have happened?

if he speeds off let him do it, get away from the car as to not hurt yourself, and call it in to begin a search/pursuit. The officer's life was not in danger.

So GAF wants a vehicle pursuit?

as opposed to blowing someone's brains out? Yes. Or don't pursue him and try to catch him later using the info you already have (he said the car was in his wife's name).

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Good Lord, I tried to read comments on youtube but the sheer level of ignorance and bullshit hatred is just horrifying, I think I just want to laugh. There was one comment on the video that's so purely EVIL and disgusting...Fuck I can't believe this.

Fuck sake it's like Stormfront in there.

The way you've phrased that is pretty shitty, but I would rather have a pursuit and keep the fucking father and husband-to-be ALIVE than shot in the head, yes.

What does xDUMPWEEDx think should have happened?
It is impossible to determine if a vehicle pursuit would have led to a better outcome.

andthebeatgoeson

What does GAF think should have happened?
If he drives off, with the license plate on video and his face and voice on body cam, you have some options. Give chase or if the chase is a threat to others, hold pursuit and catch him later.

How about not try and pull everyone out of the car? There's three legitimate options that don't include shooting people.

Squalor

Good Lord, I tried to read comments on youtube but the sheer level of ignorance and bullshit hatred is just horrifying, I think I just want to laugh. There was one comment on the video that's so purely EVIL and disgusting...Fuck I can't believe this.

Fuck sake it's like Stormfront in there.
It's as if that moment were your first time on YouTube . . . or the Internet for that matter.

As a cop myself.. my 2 cents.

This was murder. Rookie hot-head cop killed him. Absolutely no reason to use deadly-force let alone escalate the situation over a citation. What really drives me nuts is that hes a University cop...sigh. I'm really fed up with these hot-heads tarnishing my profession. Throw the book at him and be done with it.

It is impossible to determine if a vehicle pursuit would have led to a better outcome.

so why don't we just let officers shoot anyone who tries to flee from them? After all that person fleeing could get away and proceed to murder someone else. Didn't Spiderman teach us anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom