• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cincinnati braces for footage release in campus cop killing (Up: Murder charge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garlador

FUCK why do I read youtube comments? WHY? OMG RAGERAGE NEED SEDATIVES POIEWU PKNBPQOEI SADFJC<>MXCVZOI!!!

Never read Youtube comments. Never. Ever. Never ever.

It's not healthy to get in that headspace. Just don't do it. They're universally awful, but when they're about real tragedies, they're downright monstrous.

I can't imagine the hateful things ignorant people will say about this, nor do I intend to find out.

That escalated quickly did it not?

It's hard to see if he went for the gun or not but even if the dude did his hands were in the air surrendering, there was no need to fire.

It's hard for this to be anything but a murder charge imo. I hope he gets done for it too.

Slightly OT but I thought we weren't allowed threads on GAF with 'bad news/events"...

marrec

Banned
That escalated quickly did it not?

It's hard to see if he went for the gun or not but even if the dude did his hands were in the air surrendering, there was no need to fire.

It's hard for this to be anything but a murder charge imo. I hope he gets done for it too.

Slightly OT but I thought we weren't allowed threads on GAF with 'bad news/events"...

Those threads are only disallowed if there is no cultural significance or discussion to be had surrounding the "bad news/events".

Dion314

Neo Member
Nah compliance gets you shot as well.

Yup. It's TERRIFYING for me to think I'm raising a daughter in a world where somebody that is supposed to PROTECT her may be the person that hurts her just because of the color of her skin. Hell, or ME as a black man.

They think body cams will fix the problem? Looks to me like they're just creating snuff clips....

Jito

Banned
Did I just watch someone get executed because he wouldn't get out the car? Holy shit, cops in America are insane!

m3k

Rip. What the fuck is wrong with the cop... Its like they cant handle someone trying to flee and would rather shoot them dead than let them go and chase them down.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Now consider this:

The ONLY reason this is getting attention is because the body cam contradicts the officer. Imagine all the other deaths that have occurred where everyone gives the cop the benefit of the doubt.

We've had shootings that were reported as suicide-by-cop, only to have third-party video come out later and blow those lies apart.
Now think about what that means for the idea of suicide-by-cop.

Bullshit. Even if convicted he'll do two years max. Out in 15 months on good behavior. Just like Oscsr Grant's murderer.
What's your point? He's wearing a body cam, as will all Cincinnati police in the near future, and is getting charged with murder and aggravated assault instead of being put on paid leave for a couple of months before getting cleared of all wrongdoing and resuming work. More and more of these incidents are being picked up by the media and the discussion has moved beyond the communities most affected.

HeySeuss

My local news station just ran this as their leading news story (I live in Ohio). The narrative was completely against the cop as it should be. No word on the 60+ arrests, no Facebook pictures painting the victim as a thug, and the prosecutor completely putting the blame on the officer. It wasn't even a single shred of doubt that was cast on the victim to make it any part his fault.

It's sad that only after a Mountain of proof is the officer even thought to have been in the wrong. I admit, in the other thread I said that it was possible that I could see a situation where the shooting was justified. I don't like to jump to conclusions but now that the evidence is out there isn't anything to defend. I want to see if there is cruiser camera footage that caught this as well.

On thing we talked about in our roll call today was that this officer was off campus initiating the traffic stop. They do have a mutual aid agreement with Cincinnati and can do those things, but that is more for university officers to have jurisdiction when something happens on campus and it gives them the ability to continue to apprehend someone if it goes into the city. It's not meant for when an officer is bored and wants to fish for something and make traffic stops off campus.

stufte

So glad body cams are becoming more prevalent, it takes a TON of the speculation out of the equation. The cop is clearly murdering him and needs to be convicted.

FUCK why do I read youtube comments? WHY? OMG RAGERAGE NEED SEDATIVES POIEWU PKNBPQOEI SADFJC<>MXCVZOI!!!

*deep breaths*

If you resist, you're likely to be shot. If you run, you're very likely to be shot. If you do anything other than complete compliance, you are risking your life.

Your fellow countrymen will judge your corpse as a criminal, because only criminals run or resist, right?

This is the state of the country that I live in. Its unsettling.

As soon as the "R" word is brought into the equation, people will justify anything that happens to the victim in these situations. There's a reason why it's so common to hear "he was resisting!" as a defense, because the court of public opinion is so callous on this matter that it works.

Just a reminder, this is how the police were reporting this shooting when it first broke:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/21/us/cincinnati-police-shooting/index.html

I'm not in any way defending the cop in this situation, and this man should not have died, but I do see a lot of people saying this video contradicts what the police originally said, and I'm not seeing it. What is the glaring contradiction?

The only thing I see omitted is that the cop basically asked him to hand him the liquor bottle, which they described in a more onerous manner. Can someone straighten me out?

I wonder what would've happened without a bodycam to show us this... Thank gosh they're around. This is just awful.
Cop would be on the street and the family might be launching a civil suit.

see: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/student...by-campus-police-at-university-of-cincinnati/
I'm not in any way defending the cop in this situation, and this man should not have died, but I do see a lot of people saying this video contradicts what the police originally said, and I'm not seeing it. What is the glaring contradiction?

The only thing I see omitted is that the cop basically asked him to hand him the liquor bottle, which they described in a more onerous manner. Can someone straighten me out?

The cop's story was that he asked Dubose to exist the vehicle (he didn't -- he told Dubose to take off his seatbelt and the cop tried to open the door) and Dubose grabbed/scuffled with him and then tried to drive off with the cop hanging from the vehicle (not really -- the cop reached in to turn off the ignition or grab Dubose, Dubose raised a hand in self defense, office blew off his head, and the corpse of Dubose stopped pressing the gas to the car lurched forward).

At a gas station right? Yeah, that was awful to see. What happened in the end?

I love how they bring up his history to dehumanize and try to make the cop look like he did the world a favor.
I think this was in South Carolina. The cop was fired and charges were filed I think.

Garlador

Samuel Dubose's 9-year-old son, also named Samuel, told WKRC, "He was coming home that night and we had a projector so we were going to watch a movie on it but we didn't get to do that ... because he died."

Just destroys me, man...

Let's see:

-Possible that the bottle of alcohol wasn't alcohol; regardless, it appeared to be full
-Tensing never asked Dubose to step out of the vehicle; instead, he started to open Dubose's door while telling Dubose to take his seatbelt off
-Dubose was not driving away when he was shot
-The "struggle" was literally two seconds long, from the moment Dubose turned his car back on to when he was shot in the head; the struggle mostly consisted of the cop reaching INTO his car, Dubose grabbing the officer's arm then almost immediately letting go, and then being shot in the head

andthebeatgoeson

he was wearing a body cam, is getting charged with murder, and people are outraged. things are slowly getting better.
The layers of institutionalized racism laugh at your 'better'. He'll still get a great defense and we still have to depend on 12 men and women 'of our peers' to convict him and a judge to not give him every avenue of escape. A judge not worried about his job.

We should track these prosecutors and judges who 'buck' the system to see how many still have a job in 5 years. Show me a cop serving a life sentence and then we can start. I would then move the goal posts and ask for 50% charges.

It's no longer OK to just kill black people. It's no longer OK to not use the word nigger. True justice means more. So much more that I have a hard time picturing what it truly is.

Skyzard

Banned
There is a massive difference between shooting someone about to injure you in a severe way vs putting them down like an animal for disobeying.

The fact that is happening so damn much...here's to high-definition cameras and the budget going towards monitoring and improving the camera stuff instead of going to military vehicles meant for war.

Afrodium

Banned
Holy fucking shit, murdered at the first sign of non-compliance. And people will argue that he should have just followed orders and taken his seatbelt off. Yeah, he should have, but police officers aren't supposed to kill at the slightest disobedience.

WOW at that video.

I can't believe he took that from 0 to 100 like that.

The shit that ends in a death sentence these days is disturbing.

Holy fucking shit, murdered at the first sign of non-compliance. And people will argue that he should have just followed orders and taken his seatbelt off. Yeah, he should have, but police officers aren't supposed to kill at the slightest disobedience.

Sums it up.

Cop would be on the street and the family might be launching a civil suit.

see: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/student...by-campus-police-at-university-of-cincinnati/

The cop's story was that he asked Dubose to exist the vehicle (he didn't -- he told Dubose to take off his seatbelt and the cop tried to open the door) and Dubose grabbed/scuffled with him and then tried to drive off with the cop hanging from the vehicle (not really -- the cop reached in to turn off the ignition or grab Dubose, Dubose raised a hand in self defense, office blew off his head, and the corpse of Dubose stopped pressing the gas to the car lurched forward).

Let's see:

-Possible that the bottle of alcohol wasn't alcohol; regardless, it appeared to be full
-Tensing never asked Dubose to step out of the vehicle; instead, he started to open Dubose's door while telling Dubose to take his seatbelt off
-Dubose was not driving away when he was shot
-The "struggle" was literally two seconds long, from the moment Dubose turned his car back on to when he was shot in the head; the struggle mostly consisted of the cop reaching INTO his car, Dubose grabbing the officer's arm then almost immediately letting go, and then being shot in the head

Thank you. It's hard to ask a question like that and not come off as one of those "let's wait for the facts" guys. I just really didn't wanna watch that video again.

The seatbelt thing is a great point. And I had caught the bottle/alcohol thing. I kinda saw him as driving away when he was shot, even if it wasn't quickly, but it was hard to tell. Honestly he might have just lifted his foot off the brake during the 2 second "struggle" and that was him "driving away". But no matter what happened, the cop was 100% in the wrong. I'm just suprised at how closely the lie lined up with the truth, I guess. Though I guess that's what makes a good lie a good lie.

I mean, I already thought the cop was in the wrong, but I appreciate the more in-depth explanation. I can't watch that video again.

abuC

According to the report a struggle ensued, where?

The layers of institutionalized racism laugh at your 'better'. He'll still get a great defense and we still have to depend on 12 men and women 'of our peers' to convict him and a judge to not give him every avenue of escape. A judge not worried about his job.

We should track these prosecutors and judges who 'buck' the system to see how many still have a job in 5 years. Show me a cop serving a life sentence and then we can start. I would then move the goal posts and ask for 50% charges.

It's no longer OK to just kill black people. It's no longer OK to not use the word nigger. True justice means more. So much more that I have a hard time picturing what it truly is.
It depends on where you live, but you probably won't live to see "true justice." That said, certain places are moving towards it, and I think cases like these are reason to be optimistic.

Africanus

At a gas station right? Yeah, that was awful to see. What happened in the end?

I love how they bring up his history to dehumanize and try to make the cop look like he did the world a favor.

I believe he lived and sued but I don't remember if he won the case.

Can someone summarize what happened? I dont really wanna watch a man get murdered.

Sorry if this has been asked before.

HeyFool makes a good summary HERE

the only thing you'd miss from the description is the vivid image of the cop obviously going for the gun as he leans in to the car, and by the time he shoots he's raised it to within say 10" of the guys face execution style

NickFire

On thing we talked about in our roll call today was that this officer was off campus initiating the traffic stop. They do have a mutual aid agreement with Cincinnati and can do those things, but that is more for university officers to have jurisdiction when something happens on campus and it gives them the ability to continue to apprehend someone if it goes into the city. It's not meant for when an officer is bored and wants to fish for something and make traffic stops off campus.

It seemed strange for a campus cop to be handling non-campus traffic offenses in the first place. I'm guessing this was a case of someone who loves the authority of being a cop and was trying to impress the bordering police department. Probably a justifiable stop, but at the same time a case where I would bet most cops in his position would never have made the stop.

ReAxion

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/21/us/cincinnati-police-shooting/index.html

Officer Ray Tensing fatally shot Samuel Dubose, 43, on Sunday after a struggle at a traffic stop over a missing license tag, Cincinnati police said. Dubose was driving away when Tensing shot him in the head, police said.

He gave his first statements to investigators on Tuesday, along with two other campus police officers who arrived as Tensing and Dubose started struggling, according to Michele Ralston, spokeswoman for the force.

Tensing asked several times to see Dubose's driver's license, Cincinnati police said. Instead, police said, Dubose handed the officer a bottle of alcohol. Tensing asked Dubose to step out of the car, at which point a struggle ensued, police said.

"There was a struggle at the door with Mr. Dubose in the vehicle and the officer outside the vehicle, and the vehicle sped away," Cincinnati police Lt. Col. James Whalen told reporters.

Tensing fired a single shot, hitting the driver in the head as he attempted to flee. Police said the car rolled about a block before crashing.

The struggle clearly didn't last long enough, and there was no "away" - it's not even clear the car was moving before the shot was fired.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
In case you missed what Hamilton County prosecuting attorney, Joseph T. Deters said this afternoon:

“It was a senseless, asinine shooting,” Mr. Deters said at a news conference, using stark terms to denounce the July 19 episode, Officer Tensing’s claims about it and the officer himself. “This office has probably reviewed upwards of 100 police shootings, and this is the first time we’ve thought, ‘This is without question a murder.’ ”

“He wasn’t dealing with someone who was wanted for murder,” he said. “He was dealing with someone who didn’t have a front license plate. This was, in the vernacular, a pretty chicken-crap stop.”

A lawyer for Officer Tensing, Stew Mathews, disputed Mr. Deters’s comments during an interview with an Ohio television station and said that other video of the shooting would tell a completely different story. Mr. Mathews said Mr. Tensing cried when he heard of the indictment.

The county prosecutor’s office said that no law enforcement officer in Hamilton County had ever before been indicted on murder charges for use of force while on duty. At the news conference, Mr. Deters said Officer Tensing “should never have been a police officer,” but he declined to elaborate.

Asked if he thought Officer Tensing, 25, had tried to mislead investigators with his account of the shooting, Mr. Deters said, “Yeah, yes, I think he was making an excuse for the purposeful killing of another person.”

“I think he lost his temper because Mr. Dubose wouldn’t get out of his car,” he said.

Rashanda Reid said her twin sister, Dashanda, and Mr. Dubose had gotten engaged the day before he died. “They didn’t get a chance to set a date,” she said.
“This doesn’t happen in the United States, O.K.?” he said. “People don’t get shot for a traffic stop.”

dark_chris

I still can't get my head around the fact that a university has an armed police department, what in the absolute fuck. If the video is a bad as the chief says I hope this guy gets put away for a long time. Over a missing license plate man.

My university has a armed police department. The officers are actually state officers placed by the state since the state funds the university.

grumble

Yeah he did. That doesn't make sense to me.

So it was an opened/empty bottle of gin with some sort of minty liquid in it instead or something? How does it freshen anything when it is a closed bottle on the car floor? Or I'm not aware that most people keep their Lysol in old Gin bottles?

Yeah but who cares. It doesn't justify shooting him in the head...

This is unreal. The use of deadly force in these situations is just unbelievable. Unless the officers life, another's life or property is in serious jeopardy deadly force should never be used.

HeyFool makes a good summary HERE

the only thing you'd miss from the description is the vivid image of the cop obviously going for the gun as he leans in to the car, and by the time he shoots he's raised it to within say 10" of the guys face execution style

And THIS is the most horrifying part of the video and the most damning, outside of, y'know, the entire situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom