• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cincinnati braces for footage release in campus cop killing (Up: Murder charge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff-DSA

Startling how quickly that escalated. Officer seemed like an alright guy, handling the stop in a professional manner. It's scary the degree of fear black men seem to elicit whenever they show any degree of non-compliance.

They even get shot for complying. It's awful out there.

Indicate

On CNN a few minutes ago.

Former Prosecutor/Police Officer Philip Holloway:"If the officer was dragged by that car or even knocked down it's because the person behind the wheel was dead. The video clearly shows, and video camera's don't lie, it shows the officer firing a round into his head before the vehicle starts to move. That is not proper police work. That is an unjustifiable use force. It is illegal. It may very well be a murder, it might be a manslaughter, but it's definitely a criminal homicide."

Former Prosecutor/Police Officer Philip Holloway: "This guy was hired, Randi, to patrol the University of Cincinnati campus, he wasn’t hired to go out in Cincinnati at large to play traffic cop or state trooper. Uh, when I was a police officer at Georgia Tech. we had plenty to do on campus and we did not need to get out very far into the city of Atlanta to make traffic stops checking on people’s driver’s licences. The officer wasn’t hired for that purpose, he should have been on campus doing that job rather than being a traffic cop out in Cincinnati."

After the recent string of events, I have a bad feeling about this case. I think the cop will be able to get away with murder. He might get charged with something less, get away scott free.

On CNN a few minutes ago.

Former Prosecutor/Police Officer Philip Holloway: "This guy was hired, Randi, to patrol the University of Cincinnati campus, he wasn’t hired to go out in Cincinnati at large to play traffic cop or state trooper. Uh, when I was a police officer at Georgia Tech. we had plenty to do on campus and we did not need to get out very far into the city of Atlanta to make traffic stops checking on people’s driver’s licences. The officer wasn’t hired for that purpose, he should have been on campus doing that job rather than being a traffic cop out in Cincinnati."

How far away is this street from campus? Campus PD sometimes can have jurisdiction on roads immediately adjacent to campus or within a range of 500 or 1,000 ft. If he was any further, then, yeah that's weird. Let the local police worry about minor traffic issues.

emrober5

unfortunately, this all would have been avoided if he just gave the officer his license. Or you know, not drive away during a traffic stop.

Not defending the cop, but the victim certainly was in the wrong as well.

Although I'm sure this has been said, and fuckthepolice-gaf has crucified the previous posters

unfortunately, this all would have been avoided if he just gave the officer his license. Or you know, not drive away during a traffic stop.

Although I'm sure this has been said, and fuckthepolice-gaf has crucified the previous posters

You'd get shat on for not reading the thread and not watching the video. He didn't drive away. He didn't put the car in park and when the cop shot him in the fucking face the car moved forward.

Give me a fucking break with this bullshit. And you are defending the cop. Own it.

You pretending the victim was 50% wrong and the cop is 50% wrong. That's not true. It's more like 99.9% cop wrong. 0.01% civilian wrong. Nothing of what the civilian did or didn't do justifies getting shot in the face, right? So then why bring up what the victim did wrong as if he should have known it'd lead to that?

What Dubose did or didn't do is irrelavant as nothing he did warranted him getting shot. This could have all really been avoided if police departments hired competent officers.

If I jaywalk and a cop blows my head off, technically I'm in the "wrong" as well, but should that matter? You say you don't want to defend the cop but that's exactly what you are doing, and victim blaming to boot.

LiK

Did you even read the story? Watched the video? No

1) he didn't have his license.

2) the car drove away after he DIED.

smh

Car wasn't moving until the cop decided to blow the driver's head off, causing the now dead driver to lose control. Why are you defending an unhinged murderer?

Indicate

You could have just read this page before posting...

It's not his job to be perfect though. And how exactly are you sure someone ready to shoot this guy from a minor infraction wouldn't find another way to fuck with this guy even if he'd been a model citizen? I mean he was ready to lie about and get away with it. Both people made mistakes but as always context and the level of mistake matters. Beating to a pulp isn't a worthwhile response to being bumped into on the sidewalk and killing isn't a worthwhile response to not giving a license.

How far away is this street from campus? Campus PD sometimes can have jurisdiction on roads immediately adjacent to campus or within a range of 500 or 1,000 ft. If he was any further, then, yeah that's weird. Let the local police worry about minor traffic issues.

The shooting was in Mt. Auburn, about half a mile off campus. In response to the shooting, UC actually stopped campus police from patrolling off-campus and are leaving it to Cincinnati PD (like they should).

johnny956

"Not defending the cop but......" I swear I've heard that before. It doesn't matter what the victim did...the cop shot him without any justification. Straight up victim blaming at its finest

I'll just leave this right here:

You are getting torn apart because it's a false equivalency. Yes, they both made bad choices. One was extremely minor, one resulted shooting someone in the face. These are not the same things.

Gonna bet you never expound on this.

The shooting was in Mt. Auburn, about half a mile off campus. In response to the shooting, UC actually stopped campus police from patrolling off-campus and are leaving it to Cincinnati PD (like they should).

Oh wow. Why the hell was campus police that far out. No reason to be there.

That's what i think would have happened if he had said it was an accidental shooting instead of lying about it, i think it will go a bit harsher for him because of that.

Nope. Just get a good lawyer to pour some doubt all over the case. That plus the bias in some of the jurors will be enough.

Gonna bet you never expound on this.

Dude reading the responses like:
homer%2Bhidden%2Bbushes.gif

My dear chap. My earnest suggestion, mouth, soap, wash and come back when you have experienced some of what life has to offer.

This whole incident is a blundering sham of a catastrophe.

Another person dead for no reason committed by someone paid to uphold the law, be responsible, manage the situation and protect all concerned.

Its a miracle nobody else died. A runaway car could of ended up anywhere.

The cop lied about what happened because he knew what he did was completely wrong. He doesn't need you to defend him. Why are you?

ezrarh

The sad thing is - there WILL be people who will say that the guy shouldn't have resisted and not have been shot if he had just got out of the car. As if that's ever justification for murder.

This is just on Gaf. I don't even want to read the commentary on youtbe/right wing websites.

emrober5

I'm on mobile so I'm not going to respond to 30 posts.

But to keep it short, he closed his door when the cop started to open it, and started the car. Obviously the car was put in drive. He had no intention of complying with the officer.

Did he deserve to die? No.
Could the situation have been avoided? Yes

And yes, I've watched the video. I am not in a location with a computer, so I apologize for not reading through 50 pages on my iPhone

AndyD

aka andydumi
human life means so little that one mistake, no matter how small, is justification for snuffing it out?

The fact that sits well with some people is not just scary it is sickening.

This is my take. Even if he put the car in drive and was ready to flee, or even drove off, that's still not justification for the shooting. It's simply out of balance with the "crime". The cop was just judge jury and executioner in a split second. Makes me wonder if that's taught as procedure?

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member

Your post is fucking dumb as shit. Watch the video and then read the article.

Fucking victim blamers

Edit:

The officer had no right to open his door or reach into his car.

Why are there people who think that those who demand professionalism and accountability from police are just saying "FUCK THE POLICE!"

Is it so much to demand that these people, to whom we have entrusted with our safety and our lives, behave professionally and treat all people with respect and dignity?

Are people unreasonable if, after an officer clearly applies an excess of force and then lies about the incident, they demand accountability and justice?

For some folks, it seems easier to view the world as black and white: either you support cops or you hate them. No, I don't think that's the case. I think most folks appreciate the role of policing in maintaining a stable and civil society through enforcement of law. Most folks understand that police are people and there are bound to be some legitimate mistakes made.

But it should be clear that the police work for the people and the police are not above the law. We expect the utmost of professionalism from folks to whom we've entrusted the power to enforce the laws. We expect them to be as unbiased as they can be in carrying out their duties and treat each person they encounter with professionalism, regardless of their race, gender, or other characteristics. And the police must be held accountable for their actions when they use excessive force, take a life, or otherwise transgress on what would be considered sound judgement.

But to keep it short, he closed his door when the cop started to open it, and started the car. Obviously the car was put in drive. He had no intention of complying with the officer.

And yes, I've watched the video. I am not in a location with a computer, so I apologize for not reading through 50 pages on my iPhone

Cops can't just open people's doors with their gun drawn for no reason. In almost all cases they give an actual verbal request to get out of the vehicle.

You didn't have to read that many pages to be so wrong. If the cop himself lies because he knows what he did is awful, why would you defend him by questioning the dead man's role? Why do you get lied to and think "it's the other guy a little bit, though"?

The situation could have been avoided if the cop weren't hot headed and incompetent. That trumps anything victim did. Nothing he did put the cops life in any danger. That's all that should be at issue here. What Dubose did or didn't do, or his criminal history, is all irrelavant. It's typical victim blaming. It's the reason Fox News always runs with the victim's mug shot when stories like this break. The cop's actions are the ones that resulted in a murder/

It's like telling a rape victim "well the situation could have been avoided if you didn't go up to his apartment..."

Ok. So let's keep going with this line of thought....yes: The situation could have been avoided but your ignoring the part where shooting dude in the face wasn't a justifiable action. So who has the burden of ensuring the situation is avoided? The guy that panicked or the guy that shot him in the face?

Maybe you should take the time to read some more posts before you make yourself look like an idiot again.

this is useless bullshit to point out in this context.

like coming into a thread about something getting into a fatal car accident and going "did they deserve to die? no. could the situation have been avoided if they stayed home or left their home a few minutes later? yes"

either make a fucking point or quit the victim blaming

we should find out if he said a curse word that day or what kind of breakfast he had or any other irrelevant point you could want to point out just for the sake of it

Indicate

Like I said, you could have just read this page alone.

Jfc we literally just went through this in the last page

If you're on mobile and too lazy to read through the thread, or at least the most recent posts, maybe you should be too lazy to post anything at all

He was stopped for not having a license plate on the front of his car. If he disobeys the officer and drives off, fine, report it and let it go. The appropriate response to the situation would not be to immediately shoot the man in the head.

There is NO universe where anything the victim did can justify the killing, there is nothing that can be pointed out, that has been pointed out a million times, as being "something he could have not done to avoid getting shot."

Okie dokie, appreciate and agree. Mobile is aggro.

Trick is if he drove off am sure the policeman could of got back into his car and volia, type standard police pursuit is born.

No need to BOOM time straight away.

Also I feel for the victim. Too many stories of macho nutter cops murdering innocent folks or hurting them with excessive force. And we all know the threads.

Bet the victim was scared and his instinct kicked in.

I personally feel sad for all concerned.

The cop just opened his door and was saying take off your seatbelt. Never asked him to get out of the car. Wouldn't you be freaked out if during a traffic stop a cop just started opening your door? Also keep in mind that the time from him starting to open the door to him executing Sam is around 5 seconds.

Absolutely, since the campus police shouldn't have made a traffic stop half a mile away from the university..you're correct. A man could be alive today without a hole in his head. Multiple police officers wouldn't be saying this guy did the wrong thing and the VICTIM didn't do anything so wrong as to be dead right now..

But yeah, when one uses phrases like fuckthepolice-gaf, I'd expect you're coming in with your own agenda..just sucks there are so many like you.

Why is it so hard to respond to posts on mobile? Its pretty easy.

God damn there are some fucking stupid posts in this thread.

It's a convenient excuse to post without engaging in discussion. We'll get another post reminding us that he's on mobile and never see him again.

emrober5

Ah, so because I have a different viewpoint I'm an idiot, got it.

Call it what you want. It is the officers JOB to enforce the law. The guy couldn't or wouldn't produce a license. For all the cop knew, he could have a warrant or be suspended. The officer likely would have ran his name and it would have been over.

The guy got a murder charge. I get it. I agree with it. I'm just saying that it was avoidable.

You guys are in full mob mentality right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom