• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cincinnati braces for footage release in campus cop killing (Up: Murder charge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Interfectum

Gold Member
Man if it weren't for that bodycam that cop would have got away with it no problem. Listen to how he starts spewing lies immediately. This is proof all cops need bodycams w/ hd video+audio ASAP.

I really would like clarification from those statements following the grand jury where the prosecutor commented that he never should have been a cop, it insinuates something had gone on in his past, or evaluations of him have revealed some deficiencies in his state of mind (either done previously or after the event)

I mean he could have a sealed record of past teenage violence, he could have applied to be a cop and failed during testing for a red flag reason, he could have expressed incredibly racist views; it could be anything, it would be really interesting to find out exactly what it was that meant he should never have been a cop

I agree with this, it's always been like this, to an extent. It seems like it's gotten worse due to lack of training combined with deadlier and more militarized gear, combined with a "circle the wagons" mentality that some cops are having now where they think they're the victims. People are out to get them. Furthers an us vs. them mindset.

No. It's always been like this. Exactly. Like. This.

Police always been militant towards a specific segment of the population. Been saying it for decades. Nothing new. Now we just get video evidence of it shared world-wide in moments thanks to technology.

I really would like clarification from those statements following the grand jury where the prosecutor commented that he never should have been a cop, it insinuates something had gone on in his past, or evaluations of him have revealed some deficiencies in his state of mind (either done previously or after the event)
Honestly I think you might be right, but his dirty laundry shouldn't be aired out in public. Even if the police department had zero issue painting the victim in a bad light.
My guess is history of violence.

wiggleb0t

Banned
A psychologist will have a heyday with this video.

The way he continuously tries to reinforce what happened to anyone that will listen, subconsciously trying to reinforce his version of the events that transpired. Then, once people start asking him if he's ok, that becomes his primary focus, going from "I feel fine" to "Yeah, it wouldn't hurt to get checked out, my arm does hurt", As if he's the victim here, and it will keep him out of trouble.

I don't even think he realized he was doing it, but it's fairly obvious in hindsight.

I'd really love to see the dashcam video from his cruiser.

They listen because they ask if he is ok. A fatal shooting has gone down and another officer claims he saw him being dragged by a car. One notices the 'damage to his uniform' (People can get seriously injured and not know until it's brought to their attention later.)

They aren't going to be asking if the suspect is ok, he's clearly dead as others stated.

The guy is likely adrenaline pumped and a little shell shocked as he's viewing the incident in real time, is the one who opened fire & not viewing it from his computer on youtube. Factoring in it went down in a matter of like 2-4 seconds.

Can't help but think the other cops have a "holy fuck, oh no look, it's all on camera" when conversation takes place. Other officers that don't know what went down seem very cautious about what they say as cameras are rolling. Almost seem to stare into the camera but not sure if that's either eye contact or looking into the lense.

Here is a police report/statement(?) from a officer who witnessed the event. Also a video analysis: http://legalinsurrection.com/2015/07/sam-dubose-shooting-lets-go-to-the-video-tape/

No. It's always been like this. Exactly. Like. This.

Police always been militant towards a specific segment of the population. Been saying it for decades. Nothing new. Now we just get video evidence of it shared world-wide in moments thanks to technology.

exactly . no one was policing back when lynching was common. there was no protect and serve for those people who were lynched during the pre civil rights era. and then let's not forget the actual civil rights era beatings, bombings, burnings, hose spraying, etc. that were either done by police or allowed on their watch with little reaction. it's always been like this but much of America (white america specifically) doesn't want to acknowledge that this has been going on all along. people don't want to be reminded that they were/are silently complicit with law enforcements treatment of black America .

Meia

So the guy won't take his seat belt off, pulls door back and starts his engine. Seems like he planned to drive off.....

Cop shouldn't have shot but stupid decisions like this lead to more stupid decisions. Rip guy.

Not to mention that the fatal shot happened and the body slumped, causing the vehicle to drive off. In other words, the driver put it in drive TO drive away.

I understand tempers are high right now, but look at the whole picture.

"Victim blaming" I guess means when you question EVERY facet of what you're watching. /shrug

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Not to mention that the fatal shot happened and the body slumped, causing the vehicle to drive off. In other words, the driver put it in drive TO drive away.

"Victim blaming" I guess means when you question EVERY facet of what you're watching. /shrug

Yes, he was almost certainly going to run, but he was not drunk, and he wasn't violent. Reaching into the car was stupid, because it put the officer in MORE danger. There was nothing done that justified the officer pulling his weapon, let alone using it. The cop had everything he needed to catch the guy at a later time. This was a needlessly stupid escalation, and just showcases how piss poor our police training is in this country.

jacobeid

Banned
A cop kills a dude for no reason, lies about it, and gets two other cops to lie with him, and people are like "what's in that bottle, though?"

I used to work for an attorney who took a lot of 1983 action cases (Civil Action for Deprivation of Rights) and we consistently got police to contradict themselves from what they had previously said in depositions and directly lie on the witness stand. The young boys just get up there and say what they're supposed to because of the blue code of silence.

Not all of them are bad, but I don't believe a fucking word that comes out of any of their mouths after dealing with their corruption on a near daily basis.

Edit: I was going to go down to Cinci this weekend but I'm going to suggest that my friends come to Columbus instead.

Afrodium

Banned
Paraphrase; fuck clues, look at the reaction. Not the action that lead up to that. Everything but what I want to focus on is irrelevent. A man died because he simply didn't provide a license! He complied and the guy shot him because he was black. End of story.

The guys actions had consequences, he didn't shoot him upon finding out he had no license. He didn't shoot him or seem to care about the bottle of gin claimed to be air freshener. The guy DRIVING OFF while he's trying to detain him is THE REASON he opened fire. In a span of 2 seconds he made a choice to open fire while the guy was trying to take off WITH HIS ARM IN THE VEHICLE!

You're saying the events aren't important yet he was calm and frank with the driver up until he tried to flee. Again WITH HIS ARM in the car putting him in danger.

Did he open fire over the license, the display thing, the gin bottle OR the attemp to flee while being detained? Your logic implies that his actions had no result/outcome of the situation leading to deadly force. That's evidently nonsense.

He was starting his engine to not drive? Put it in drive to park? Yes, a car couldn't and doesn't ever result in injuries when operated recklessly! Great point.

I guess it's much easier to just go with: Holy fuck, hope the cop dies and rots in prison! He opened fire on him the moment he saw he was black!

He was shot in the head for resisting arrest,which is a crime, yes, but doesn't require a gun to solve. You can go on and on about how the victim was in the wrong, and he definitely made some mistakes, but that doesn't mean the cop is allowed to execute him. Jesus, this isn't some fucking video game, sometimes you let the bad guy get away instead of making sure justice is served at all costs.

Problem is that going as far back as at least Clinton and every President since we have exponentially expanded police forces. Not just municipal but our federal and state as well. This means lower standards and a dilution of the quality of officer at the lower levels. Not surprised that a campus officer is basically a scumbag thug. The best applicants are working on VIPR teams now and the bar gets lower as you move down the chain.

So? I don't get what point you're trying to make if it's not victim blaming.

The guys actions had consequences, he didn't shoot him upon finding out he had no license. He didn't shoot him or seem to care about the bottle of gin claimed to be air freshener. The guy DRIVING OFF while he's trying to detain him is THE REASON he opened fire. In a span of 2 seconds he made a choice to open fire while the guy was trying to take off WITH HIS ARM IN THE VEHICLE!

You're saying the events aren't important yet he was calm and frank with the driver up until he tried to flee. Again WITH HIS ARM in the car putting him in danger.

How does him having his arm in the window put him in danger? He could have pulled it out as quickly as he put it in. Also from what I could see, he only reached into the window after the guy started the car, all he had to do at that point was step back and call it in. The cop was in no danger at any point.

I'm having trouble understanding the video. Does the victim start trying to drive off and then gets shot, or is he shot and basically pushes into the pedal as he's dying?

I'm having trouble understanding the video. Does the victim start trying to drive off and then gets shot, or is he shot and basically pushes into the pedal as he's dying?

The latter. The car didn't start moving until after the officer shot the guy.

Not sure how victim blaming goes only one way when the cop was a victim of circumstances brought about by the suspect committing a crime & attempting to flee the scene with his arm inside the vehicle.
Every time you post, I'm just gonna quote this crap..

Oh..nevermind then, idiot.

Paraphrase; fuck clues, look at the reaction. Not the action that lead up to that. Everything but what I want to focus on is irrelevent. A man died because he simply didn't provide a license! He complied and the guy shot him because he was black. End of story.

Did he open fire over the license, the display thing, the gin bottle OR the attemp to flee while being detained? Your logic implies that his actions had no result/outcome of the situation leading to deadly force. That's evidently nonsense.

He was starting his engine to not drive? Put it in drive to park? Yes, a car couldn't and doesn't ever result in injuries when operated recklessly! Great point.

I guess it's much easier to just go with: Holy fuck, hope the cop dies and rots in prison! He opened fire on him the moment he saw he was black!

You do realize the officer put his own arm in the car, right? Dubose didn't grab his arm and flash a sinister smile while saying "WE'RE GOING FOR A RIDE, COPPER".

The officer reached in once Dubose started the car. Why? What was he trying to accomplish? If anything, the cop's reaction was to grab him to try and stop him, but that's a horrible idea in ANY situation where someone is trying to flee. Again, if he's going to flee, take the proper course of action at that point.

Pulling out your gun and shooting someone is never an appropriate response for a non-violent crime, especially when the only immediate danger was caused by the cop putting his arm into the car.

The second one. The cop's original story was complete bullshit and a sorry attempt to cover their asses.

NastyBook

um
f52.png
LMFAO! This is the best one yet. Low quality bait has been dethroned.

The latter. The car didn't start moving until after the officer shot the guy.

OK. That's what it looked like, but I wanted a second opinion (though I see others here also have the same opinion). The cop fucked up. Personally, I hate that shit when officers start opening your car door; it's seriously fucked up that he started to open the door before asking the driver to exit.

In fact, is it legal for an officer to open your car door without telling you they're doing so first or asking you if they can do so? It happened to me once when I was 17, but I had the door locked and just blank told the officer "Sorry officer, it's locked." I did of course unlock it and step out, but yeah. Shit still pisses me off to this day when I think about it.

jonno394

The second one. The cop's original story was complete bullshit and a sorry attempt to cover their asses.

Let us not forget though that the driver motioned to drive off (Turned key in ignition and started engine).

Why anyone would do this in a police stop is beyond me. you comply, you try not to exacerbate the situation by answering questions succinctly and then hopefully, just hopefully, don't get shot.

Let us not forget though that the driver motioned to drive off (Turned key in ignition and started engine).

Why anyone would do this in a police stop is beyond me. you comply, you try not to exacerbate the situation by answering questions succinctly and then hopefully, just hopefully, don't get shot.

What does that have to do with the cop shooting a guy and making up a story to cover his ass? The cop shot him before he drove off. That's a fact.

jonno394

What does that have to do with the cop shooting a guy and making up a story to cover his ass? The cop shot him before he drove off. That's a fact.

The guy started his engine during a routine stop by a cop after being asked by the officer to remove his seat belt FACT

we can all make facts out of anything

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
The guy started his engine during a routine stop by a cop after being asked by the officer to remove his seat belt FACT

Isnt that after the cop tried to open the car door? That would have freaked me out too.

Starting your car during a routine stop, or even fleeing a routine stop, is not a crime punishable by death.

Isnt that after the cop tried to open the car door? That would have freaked me out too.

I don't know if it's a problem in Cincinnati, but his reaction reminds me of that thread we had recently that talks about how often fake cops in Detroit pull people over and end up stealing their car or mugging them.

jonno394

Again, what does that have to do with this case?

This decision led to the police officer pulling his gun, it's not rocket science. If you're being quizzed by a cop, and the cop see's and hears you turning your engine on, what does that imply? They're going to drive off.

Now, no-one is arguing that the pulling of the gun and shooting was the right decision, we all know it is wrong, but appearing to want to flee the scene and not comply with the officer were very important in the decision making of said officer.

Officer asks you to remove seatbelt, what do you do? I'd remove my seatbelt, not turn my engine on to give the impression I was not going to comply.

What danger was the cop in where he had to shoot the guy?

Isn't it standard procedure to only fire when your life is in immediate danger?

Was the guy in the car holding onto the cops arm or was the cops arm iin the vehicle by choice and he was free to pull it back any time he wanted?

This decision led to the police officer pulling his gun, it's not rocket science. If you're being quizzed by a cop, and the cop see's and hears you turning your engine on, what does that imply? They're going to drive off.

Now, no-one is arguing that the pulling of the gun and shooting was the right decision, we all know it is wrong, but appearing to want to flee the scene and not comply with the officer were very important in the decision making of said officer.

No it isn't, fleeing the scene isn't worthy of a bullet to the head. The cop made a shitty decision, that's on him, not on the victim.

Everything happens too quick.
I can't believe the cop shot him so quickly.

Was the cop trying to open the door or was the driver trying to close the door and drive away?

The cop made the wrong decision and it led to this man's murder.

We still got people victim blaming?

This man could've got his head blown away by a shotgun and pissed on afterwards and we will still have people questioning why the dude did x.

jonno394

Now, no-one is arguing that the pulling of the gun and shooting was the right decision, we all know it is wrong, but appearing to want to flee the scene and not comply with the officer were very important in the decision making of said officer.[/QUOTE]

No it isn't, fleeing the scene isn't worthy of a bullet to the head.

I never said it was worthy of the bullet, stop putting words in to my mouth, the guy didn't deserve to die, I'm just saying, the choices both individuals made were wrong.

Starting your car during a routine stop, or even fleeing a routine stop, is not a crime punishable by death.

This. People mentioning that as if it's relevant.

He doesn't turn his car off? Order him to.

He doesn't comply? Order him to.

He drives off? Get on your fucking radio, call it in, and pursue. You got the plate/make/model. Where is this guy going to go?

No justification of popping him in the face for panicking and driving off.

I never said it was worthy of the bullet, stop putting words in to my mouth, the guy didn't deserve to die, I'm just saying, the choices both individuals made were wrong.

But ONLY the choice of one (the officer) resulted in a man being killed. Let's not pretend both contributed equally to this death.

Pointing out things like this serves no purpose when the ultimate result of one of the wrong doers actions causes the death of another. Especially if neither side's actions prior to the killing are worthy of lethal force.

One wrong so greatly outweighs the other wrong that it isn't even worth bringing up. I don't get why you're doing that.

But why are you even bringing up the fact that driving off was wrong? What has that got to do with anything? That is the equivalent of someone saying 'well she shouldn't have dressed so provocatively' in a thread about a rape. What point are you trying to make other than 'well the victim did a bad thing too'? And if that is your point, again, what has that got to do with anything?

jonno394

One wrong so greatly outweighs the other wrong that it isn't even worth bringing up. I don't get why you're even doing that.

because at the end of the day, every action counts in situations like this. If the guy hadn't had turned his engine on and had just complied with the officers requests, he may well be alive right now.

because at the end of the day, every action counts in situations like this. If the guy hadn't had turned his engine on and had just complied with the officers requests, he may well be alive right now.

That is the literal definition of victim blaming. Stop doing that.

danm999

It's just very important you repeatedly bring up how the victim fucked up even though it has zero bearing on the fact that the officer overstepped his authority by a mile and killed a person.

Here is a police report/statement(?) from a officer who witnessed the event. Also a video analysis: http://legalinsurrection.com/2015/07/sam-dubose-shooting-lets-go-to-the-video-tape/

Unbelievably biased analysis there, by a NRA member and lawyer?
Andrew F. Branca is in his third decade of practicing law in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
is that a fancy way of saying he's a lawyer?
and wrong too, i'd almost suspect the person skimmed the video not really watching it, only looking to point out in favour of the cop, i mean
Finally, when Tensing asks DuBose to step out the vehicle, which the officer is fully authorized to do,
bull shit at no point did he ask him to step out, he said take off your seatbelt and then tried to open the door

Uhh people would defend a police officer for anything, if he went in a school and killed a class of kids i'm sure people would invent stuff to mitigate murder

jonno394

But why are you even bringing up the fact that driving off was wrong? What has that got to do with anything? That is the equivalent of someone saying 'well she shouldn't have dressed so provocatively' in a thread about a rape. What point are you trying to make other than 'well the victim did a bad thing too'? And if that is your point, again, what has that got to do with anything?

The comparison to rape is a ridiculous one and I am sick of seeing it in this thread. The guy was pulled over for a law violation, dressing in a short skirt is not a law violation.

They are two completely different situations.

Boke1879

What does his have to do with anything?

Sam was very respectful during the whole thing. Did everything the man asked. He just didn't have his license. Told the officer to run his name. Why did the officer put HIS hand inside the car? That put him in more danger.

It's also safe to assume as he was reaching to put his hand in the car his gun was already drawn. There was no reason for his gun to be out let alone fired.

Yes you should comply which Sam was doing. But I'm tired of the excuse. "just be respectful and comply and nothing will happen". As a black man all too often we've seen how this story plays out.

It was a piss poor traffic stop. If he was so concerned he could have gone back to his car and ran his name. If Sam drives off at that point so be it. Let him go. You have literally everything you need to pursue it later.

Do you think it is justifiable for the police officer to shoot the man in the head for resisting arrest?

My answer is no. Dude may have been an idiot, but resisting arrest is in many cases a misdemeanor. It took the cop 1 second to pull out his gun and fire, when there was no direct threat to him. Yes the guy should listen to the cops, yes he should comply to orders. Not complying is not a death sentence, or atleast it shouldn't be. I expect that rationale and action from a civilian who doesn't have trigger discipline or is easily frightened. I don't expect it from a trained police officer. You have to hold them to a higher standard, and it only makes sense for him to be charged in the case.

Terrible footage, and if the cop did his job properly the guy would be facing 30 days in jail. Instead, he is in a body bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom