• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cincinnati braces for footage release in campus cop killing (Up: Murder charge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oersted

I'm on mobile so I'm not going to respond to 30 posts.

But to keep it short, he closed his door when the cop started to open it, and started the car. Obviously the car was put in drive. He had no intention of complying with the officer.

Did he deserve to die? No.
Could the situation have been avoided? Yes

And yes, I've watched the video. I am not in a location with a computer, so I apologize for not reading through 50 pages on my iPhone

To keep it simple:

The victim did not open the door.

A trained police officer, no, every rudimentary functional human being should try every single alternative to excecution to answer that.

Ah, so because I have a different viewpoint I'm an idiot, got it.

Call it what you want. It is the officers JOB to enforce the law. The guy couldn't or wouldn't produce a license. For all the cop knew, he could have a warrant or be suspended. The officer likely would have ran his name and it would have been over.

The guy got a murder charge. I get it. I agree with it. I'm just saying that it was avoidable.

You guys are in full mob mentality right now.

It's the officers job to patrol the campus. Not stop people off campus and then FUCKING SHOOT THEM IN THE HEAD for not complying to a MINOR TRAFFIC VIOLATION.

If we are at risk of getting fucking executed just for not being able to immediately produce a valid ID upon request then the only way to avoid something like this is to just never leave the house.

Or I guess you're just okay with a 5 second time limit any time a cop asks you for your ID. Punishable by death.

It is the officers JOB to enforce the law. The guy couldn't or wouldn't produce a license.
READ. It wasn't his damn job. Why do you keep ignoring the post saying how far he was from campus? From police officers, no less?
Amazing..you know what? Shut up, until you read everything. You're getting mad that you're pissing in the wind, and the people you hit are calling you out on it. "I can't read everything, but.." is straight fucking ridiculous.

Meia

It's never you that's wrong.

Is it wrong to see it for what it is? No one is really saying the "cop" shouldn't be arrested, but the situation could have been easily avoided if the driver wasn't an idiot/impaired.

GAF lately has had a very vocal anti-cop majority that kind of makes threads like this become an echo chamber. It is what it is.

Call it what you want. It is the officers JOB to enforce the law. The guy couldn't or wouldn't produce a license. For all the cop knew, he could have a warrant or be suspended. The officer likely would have ran his name and it would have been over.

The guy got a murder charge. I get it. I agree with it. I'm just saying that it was avoidable.

Yes and no. I think a few of us have lost patience with the keepers of your peace.

Time the authorities manned up and got real.

If you are willing to consider that the victim contributed to his death your giving a get out of jail free card to your police force.

Who will carry on like this with impunity.

Imagine if this happened in France. The population would string the cop up and flay him alive.

Oersted

Excecution is the least viable option of law enforcement, to put it nicely.

No, it's because your "different viewpoint" is trying to equate not complying with an officer (complying with a request he never gave mind you) to shooting someone in the head.

Saying it's avoidable is pointless because any number of things could've avoided it, from DuBose not leaving his house to having a front license plate. None of that is relevant to this case. There is only one person to blame here, the person paid to enforce the law that pulled the trigger.

riotous

Banned
Do we know that he was outside of his jurisdiction?

They aren't "Campus police"; they are a PD assigned to the area surrounding and including the campus.

He's a murderer either way; there's no reason to make up facts we don't really know are true.. some "campus cop" from another city wouldn't necessarily know how this particular PD operates.

But he didn't know nor did he run the guy's name when told to so why shouldn't he be criticized for not actually checking if this was a worthwhile stop before getting all handsy? That's how he's supposed to enforce the law. Not by dragging potential criminals out of the seats of their car but by performing procedures.

Indicate

sigh..

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Here's the thing. It's victim blaming. In pretty much any case you can point to things the victim could have done to avoid the situation. Like a rape victim. Yes. If she hadn't been out alone at night she would have avoided her attack. But that's not the point. A case like that, just as in this case, it is totally irrelevant. This Murder happened because a cop needlessly escalated a non-violent situation. The ONLY blame for this, lies with the officer. What the victim could have done differently has nothing to do with the case.

Is it wrong to see it for what it is? No one is really saying the "cop" shouldn't be arrested, but the situation could have been easily avoided if the driver wasn't an idiot/impaired.

GAF lately has had a very vocal anti-cop majority that kind of makes threads like this become an echo chamber. It is what it is.

I don't even...

When did it become ok for cops to open people's car doors for no reason? He never had to reach in the vehicle. He wasn't even operating within his jurisdiction. The cop shot someone for no reason. The cop is the impaired idiot, not the victim.

Opto

Banned
Starting the car was not a great decision, no. That's a bad idea to do at a traffic stop.

But you want to know what's the worst decision? Popping a bullet into a guy's head because he started the car. This cop was getting his rocks off with his authority: Asking constantly for a license that he could have looked up on the computer. Opening the door without any command other than "take off your seatbelt" ? Sounds like he wanted to drag the dude out of the car and do something to Dubose.

This situation could have been avoided if the cop wasn't a power mad son-of-a-bitch murderer

Or...because I'm at work and it takes too long.

There are literally 20+ individual responses to one post.
OK. You are arguing that this could have been avoided. It sure could have. But instead of blaming the person who is now dead from a bullet to the head, maybe you should focus your blaming on the man who executed a man for closing his car door.
Comply or die should really be written on all police vehicles.

Meia

Here's the thing. It's victim blaming. In pretty much any case you can point to things the victim could have done to avoid the situation. Like a rape victim. Yes. If she hadn't been out alone at night she would have avoided her attack. But that's not the point. A case like that, just as in this case, it is totally irrelevant. This Murder happened because a cop needlessly escalated a non-violent situation. The ONLY blame for this, lies with the officer. What the victim could have done differently has nothing to do with the case.

Are we equating what a girl wears/out at a specific time of night to a person getting pulled over, not having a license, refusing to do what an officer tells them after being in the wrong, and then trying to drive off with a cop at the door?

I don't even...

When did it become ok for cops to open people's car doors for no reason? He never had to reach in the vehicle. He wasn't even operating within his jurisdiction. The cop shot someone for no reason. The cop is the impaired idiot, not the victim.

The person's not legally allowed to drive the vehicle and may be impaired, but the cop shouldn't be allowed to remove the person from the car? Is this what we're coming to?

Rembrandt

Banned
unfortunately, this all would have been avoided if he just gave the officer his license. Or you know, not drive away during a traffic stop.

Not defending the cop, but the victim certainly was in the wrong as well.

Although I'm sure this has been said, and fuckthepolice-gaf has crucified the previous posters

the cop shot the guy causing the car to move, you fucking idiot.

Call it what you want. It is the officers JOB to enforce the law. The guy couldn't or wouldn't produce a license.

Whoa, that's news to me.

I didn't know that officers were ordained as judge, jury, and executioner. I also didn't know that failure to produce identification is an executable offense in the US!

To think, I have been living on the edge when I've occasionally left the house without my wallet!

Thanks for the heads up, bro! Might have saved my life.

Do you understand what "victim-blaming" means?

Everything is unavoidable. The reason you are getting the reaction you are getting is because bringing that up is fucking pointless. Would you tell a rape victim that her rape would have been avoidable if she weren't drunk? Or if she weren't promiscuous? What would be the point of bringing it up other than trying to deflect attention away from the real issue at hand?

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Bad move by the cop. He clearly panicked. Needs to lose his job, go to jail for a bit.

These guys just don't how to de-escalate a situation. Its mind boggling how this is still possible. It has to be a training deficit.

Are we equating what a girl wears/out at a specific time of night to a person getting pulled over, not having a license, refusing to do what an officer tells them after being in the wrong, and then trying to drive off with a cop at the door?

The person's not legally allowed to drive the vehicle and may be impaired, but the cop shouldn't be allowed to remove the person from the car? Is this what we're coming to?
what?

here_comes_a_new_challenger_by_renofswagzareth-d7j9hha.png

You must do a lot of selective reading, and miss just how many trip over themselves to defend the police, even with video evidence, because "but but but.."

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Nothing he did warranted being shot in the head. He wasn't drunk or an immediate threat to others. The cop should have let him speed off. He has the plates and photographs of his face. It was a pointless escalation by some asshole trying to be super cop.

Meia

here_comes_a_new_challenger_by_renofswagzareth-d7j9hha.png

You must do a lot of selective reading, and miss just how many trip over themselves to defend the police, even with video evidence, because "but but but"

They are extremes on both sides, yes. :p

Cop firing is not defensible, and pretty much everyone is/should be saying that. I mean, do I have the story wrong after watching the video?

Guy gets pulled over. Cop asks to see license, guy doesn't have one, and has an alcoholic beverage in the car. Cop asks guy to step outside, person refuses. Cop opens door, guy closes it, starts car, throws it in drive. Cop executes guy, car takes off.

Nothing he did warranted being shot in the head. He wasn't drunk or an immediate threat to others. The cop should have let him speed off. He has the plates and photographs of his face. It was a pointless escalation by some asshole trying to be super cop.

Who escalated first here, the cop for trying to drag the guy from the car, or the guy for starting the car and trying to leave the scene?

And no, nothing in the video clues that the guy isn't drunk(no sobriety test), so the immediate threat thing is a possibility.

Rembrandt

Banned

What evidence did the cop have to think the guy was impaired? the full bottle of gin that the cop asked about and the guy gave him? the fact that he didn't have his license?

Have you never drove without your license or left your house without your ID? That warrants a death sentence?

A Challenger Appears!

Seriously, is there some contest going on with a prize for the person with the highest inability to read?

The cop never gave him a request to get out of the vehicle. He escalated the situation himself by attempting to forcibly remove DuBose from his car (with his gun drawn) without even giving him a verbal request to do so.

Guy gets pulled over. Cop asks to see license, guy doesn't have one, and has an alcoholic beverage in the car. Cop asks guy to step outside, person refuses. Cop opens door, guy closes it, starts car, throws it in drive. Cop executes guy, car takes off.

The bolded part never happened. Watch the video again and report back.

Opto

Banned

1. We don't know if he had a license or not. He didn't have it on him, but that doesn't mean he can't drive a car.

2. The wrong is that he didn't have a front tag. That's the tiniest wrong i've ever heard of. Tensing never said get out of the car. He said "take off your seatbelt" as he was opening Dubose's car door, which is some serious shady shit.

You're blaming Dubose's death on Dubose when all he did was not have a front tag and start his car. Neither of which justifies extreme prejudice

Starting the car was not a great decision, no. That's a bad idea to do at a traffic stop.

But you want to know what's the worst decision? Popping a bullet into a guy's head because he started the car. This cop was getting his rocks off with his authority: Asking constantly for a license that he could have looked up on the computer. Opening the door without any command other than "take off your seatbelt" ? Sounds like he wanted to drag the dude out of the car and do something to Dubose.

This situation could have been avoided if the cop wasn't a power mad son-of-a-bitch murderer

I can see reason to doubt this considering how this turned out, but I think he just saw DuBose as a flight risk and wanted him out of his car while he ran his info.

cwmartin

Cop firing is not defensible, and pretty much everyone is/should be saying that. I mean, do I have the story wrong after watching the video?

you have the story wrong.
Cop asks to see license
guy doesn't have one
Cop tries to open door
Cop executes guy

is what i saw

It's one thing to ask someone to step outside the vehicle.

It is another thing entirely to forcibly open the cae door and try to get the person to get out of the vehicle with a weapon drawn and pointed at them.

Would you be okay with anyone pulling a gun on you and throwing you out of your car, just because they had a uniform?

The bottle of alcohol was also not even open fyi

riotous

Banned

He's allowed to ask him to step out of the car; he never did that. The opening of the door with really no provocation was outright strange.

Ask the driver to step out, and if you think he's dangerous you should be stepping back a bit to give yourself some room to react to something, not shoving your way into the vehicle.

The driver's actions really aren't worth bringing up here IMO; I don't think the responses are necessary (calling people fucking idiots, having a "Snark" competition, etc.) but the driver's actions are so mild compared to the reaction.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I'm amazed at how many here are putting any amount of blame on the deceased when the DA and other cops are appalled at what this cop did. Even phoenixdark with his mild form of victim blaming under the guise of navigating a stacked system. Fucking pathetic.

I get freaked out enough when a cop has his hand on the butt of his gun and asks me to get out of my vehicle. Happens a lot in Texas. Gun drawn and opening my door, not sure how I would react.

Meia..he's campus police, half a mile from campus. It's not his job to pull him over. Therefore, this whole thing would have been avoided if this campus officer did HIS job, and not the job of a traffic cop.

Do you understand now why people are frustrated? We're just gonna keep going in circles, aren't we?

riotous

Banned
Meia..he's campus police, half a mile from campus. It's not his job to pull him over. Therefore, this whole thing would have been avoided if this campus officer did HIS job, and not the job of a traffic cop.

Do you understand now why people are frustrated? We're just gonna keep going in circles, aren't we?

They are not "campus police"

https://www.uc.edu/publicsafety/about/police.html

Patrol beats are separated into three areas on UC's main campus - Uptown, East and West. Additional patrols work with Cincinnati Police to cover neighborhoods surrounding UC's main campus. UCPD also serves UC's Blue Ash and Clermont campuses.

The UCPD patrols the areas around the University as well as the campus itself. Half a mile from campus sounds reasonable.

I don't think the "it wasn't his job" claims are true.. they are only backed by conjecture and the use of the word "campus police."

People in this thread are tearing each other apart when every single person in this thread agrees it was a murder. I don't get it; chill out and unite.

edit: According to this link I found he started following him inside his jurisdiction, pulled him over a few blocks outside:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/30/u...icted-in-shooting-death-of-motorist.html?_r=0

Officials said the university police shared jurisdiction with city officers on streets around the campus, where the officer began following Mr. Dubose, but where the driver was pulled over and shot is a few blocks away, outside that zone.

I don't think that is particularly inappropriate.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
The bottom line is that this started off as a non-violent confrontation that became deadly solely due to the actions of the police officer. There was no violent action on the part of the victim. The police officer escalated the situation to the point where a man lost his life - this is not what a police officer should be doing.

He did not do his job, and in the process killed another man. He is at fault, and should be punished accordingly.

They are not "campus police"

https://www.uc.edu/publicsafety/about/police.html

The UCPD patrols the areas around the University as well as the campus itself. Half a mile from campus sounds reasonable.

I don't think the "it wasn't his job" claims are true.. they are only backed by conjecture and the use of the word "campus police."

People in this thread are tearing each other apart when every single person in this thread agrees it was a murder. I don't get it; chill out and unite.
What bugs me about certain posts is people saying this could have been avoided if the victim had just done what the cop said. Victim blaming in situations like this is disingenuous at best.

Meia

What bugs me about certain posts is people saying this could have been avoided if the victim had just done what the cop said. Victim blaming in situations like this is disingenuous at best.

What bugs me is how people don't understand that the cop can be a piece of shit that failed to do his job and was likely on a power trip, AND the situation likely wouldn't have come about to begin with if the driver didn't try to flee the scene in a car. One kind of doesn't exclude the other, that's kind of all I'm saying. The "rape" comparison is silly.

What bugs me is how people don't understand that the cop can be a piece of shit that failed to do his job and was likely on a power trip, AND the situation likely wouldn't have come about to begin with if the driver didn't try to flee the scene in a car. One kind of doesn't exclude the other, that's kind of all I'm saying. The "rape" comparison is silly.
Dude... The driver didn't try to flee FFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom