• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corgi

Banned
is there anyway to not have dead people everywhere? These hearses have the most weirdest routes ever... I built like 3 incendaries in one area that is a hot 'dead zone', but all the cars just head off to other parts of the city :/

why can't a make beautiful cities like i did in simcity? i start making a city and i'm so disappointed at my creativity that i abandoned for another go at it to do it again. where do you guys go for inspiration??

Maid

Banned
Probably someone has already done this, but I decided to check how exactly budget affects buildings. I started with education and it was pretty straightforward:

DMuMWjf.jpg

Basically, everything works optimally at 100% budget: Going under or over will cost more per student (but lowering the budget would make sense if you can still educate everyone).

So there is no point to go over the budget and slapping on another service building is better?

Tabris

It's kind of annoying how industrial buildings don't take educated citizens.

Level 3 industrial buildings should be high tech that require more educated workers.

Essentially for me to have a decent industrial section, I have to create a ghetto with no schools.

Level 3 industrial buildings should be high tech that require more educated workers.

Essentially for me to have a decent industrial section, I have to create a ghetto with no schools.

Yeah this has been bothering me since the game released. It was so weird having this small patch in my city that was basically a ghetto to actually get my industry going.

I really thought it'd be like in I think Simcity 3000 or Simcity 4 where the highest 'upgrade level' for your industry buildings would be cleaner hi-tech industries. But in this game I guess that's what the office zoning is for.

Kevyt

There's actually two icons on the map that will mark "last stop" and "end loop." For bus routes, at least.

Protip: you can give each line it's own individual colour by going into the transit info view and selecting the line, or by clicking on a bus then hitting the "Modify Line" button in the pop-up window. Also works for metro lines (and I presume passenger rail lines). Makes it a bit easier to manage multiple overlapping lines (although if you have multiple lines stopping at the same place, trying to get the right one selected to modify/delete a stop is still basically impossible).

Didn't know that, thanks for the tips!

My population seems to be stuck at 60k. I lose/gain citizens, but it's been stagnant for a while now. My population is angry, I have -100 to -150 unhappy citizens. I have placed a lot of parks, recreation parks, and places for them to go but I still don't know what gives...

Maybe I'm just going to add more schools. But as of right now, I do not have enough workers for the industry and therefore not enough goods being produced and my commercial zones are closing down because they don't have enough to sell. It's all a loop that I have no idea how to fix. Yet I managed to build for a harbor for industry goods, hope that does something.

This is the exact problem I've run into. I built a lot of schools and I would say ~70% of my population has some level of education, but there aren't enough workers for the industry sector. I might just have to create an area with no schools to have workers... lol

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I feel like i might have asked this before, but does industry need schools to upgrade?

is that nonsense? :T
Whatever it takes to raise the land value, I think. Once you get the Eden Project and everything is high land value, industry levels up to 3 very very quickly.

Half of a level 3 industrial building requires highly educated workers.

Jintor

Schools raising land value for commercial/residential makes sense, but I don't understand why it raises it for industrial :<

(I guess it just raises land value generically?)

maybe I should put a park nearby...

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Schools raising land value for commercial/residential makes sense, but I don't understand why it raises it for industrial :<

Yeah, it's kinda dumb how that works. Maybe there's something else that can be done in lieu of that, but I dunno. Making roads green and buildings blue gets everything to level 3 regardless.

spiritfox

High tech industry require more educated workers.

And lvl 3 industries do require a lot of educated workers. I have a large working industrial zone in my currently city with over 60% highly educated people.

Gr8one

I use parks to raise land value in my industrial once my population gets too educated. I don't like using the vanilla parks as they look kind of silly next to the industrial but there's some decent parking lots and shipping crate parks on the workshop that fit in nice. I've used this one a lot:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=405989095&searchtext=industrial

edit: I should add the stats are a bit overpowered for a lot of the industrial parks on the workshop but you can lower the tourism and entertainment values in the asset editor to your liking

Jintor

High tech industry require more educated workers.

And lvl 3 industries do require a lot of educated workers. I have a large working industrial zone in my currently city with over 60% highly educated people.

Yeah but where the schools are shouldn't matter to the industrial zones, just the residential zones, because what does Big Oil 202 care where the local elementary school is except that all their fracking juice got in the bubblers?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yeah but where the schools are shouldn't matter to the industrial zones, just the residential zones, because what does Big Oil 202 care where the local elementary school is except that all their fracking juice got in the bubblers?

Actually now that I think about it, the Hadron Collider in my city probably helps with the industry level ups too.

is there anyway to not have dead people everywhere? These hearses have the most weirdest routes ever... I built like 3 incendaries in one area that is a hot 'dead zone', but all the cars just head off to other parts of the city :/

"Reactionary" buildling, i.e., placing crematories next to areas that already have a lot of dead people, generally won't take effect for the reason you described: they pick places more or less at random: so if you have a lot of dead people in an area, chances are good there's a lot of other places they have to visit that are less urgent and thus "invisible" to you, so they go there instead.

I really wish CO would let us assign regions to specific cemeteries/crematories/incinerators/garbage dumps. Right now you have absolutely no control over where they go and I guarantee you the routes they pick are far from the optimal ones.

Jintor

I've heardd (urban legend style) they go for the oldest dead as opposed to the geographically closest, which tends to exascebate problems.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I've said it before. When a vehicle is dispatched from one of those buildings, it should go after the closest problem first and work its way out. It would make it more logical than trying to go after one 2 miles away because it happened first even though there's already a building near it to handle it.

I've heardd (urban legend style) they go for the oldest dead as opposed to the geographically closest, which tends to exascebate problems.

I'm not sure if this is the case, because I placed a crematory next to a place with a bunch of dead people icons and I saw the first hearse go and pick up a random body from a place several miles away that didn't even have a dead person icon above it. I might be wrong but I think the icon only appears if the body has been in the building uncollected for a long time.

But that's just my assumption based on my own experience, I wouldn't say that's the way the game behaves.

Gr8one

The death mechanic is too much like the trash mechanic for my taste. CO needs to take a further look at it, i really hate the death waves every 6 years in your districts.

Jintor

Does it matter how far away industry is away from residential? Will less workers travel there as a result?

If i had to guess it probably factors into agents choosing where to have a job; probably they'll try and pick the closer, more accessible option.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
If the hearses are actually set to respond based on time of death rather than proximity, maybe it's better for all of them to be placed in locations where it's easy for them to get on the highway.

(assuming your city has a good highway system that allows quick access to all parts of town)

Gr8one

Does it matter how far away industry is away from residential? Will less workers travel there as a result?

Workers don't travel to jobs. They just teleport to them from what i've read. You can cut off roads to the jobs and they'll still be content.

Actually after trying to find where I read that, it's actually if they can't get to their jobs they just teleport home with no consequences. There's a thread about it on the paradox forums. http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...rkers-not-getting-to-work-has-no-consequences!

Tabris

So I built an airport, 2 squares away from the city, but linked to highway, and barely anyone is using. I average like 20-30 passengers a week.

If it's too far, will no use it?

Waikis

Workers don't travel to jobs. They just teleport to them from what i've read. You can cut off roads to the jobs and they'll still be content.

Actually after trying to find where I read that, it's actually if they can't get to their jobs they just teleport home with no consequences. There's a thread about it on the paradox forums. http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...rkers-not-getting-to-work-has-no-consequences!

I don't think that's true?

Here's a quote from CO posted in that thread
All workers do not need to get to work. This would simply need too much processing power if all 1 million citizens left to work at the same time. The worker numbers shown in factory information windows are the employees assigned for that building, the ones who can visit it as a work location. Not all of the workers will visit the building at the same time, some might not ever visit it, but they are the ones marked to work in the building.

Workers still need to travel to the offices/industries, but only some of them will do that.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Workers still need to travel to the offices/industries, but only some of them will do that.

The point is, that there's no penalty if they don't make it to work. So like, you can make it so that your people have no way at all to get to their work, but nothing bad will happen.

Gr8one

That's very good to know. Ijust brushed by the thread around release day. I wonder how distance affects employment, I always assumed education was the only factor.

I had an industrial district about 3 tiles from my nearest residential area and they were always complaining about needing workers. I zoned a residential area close by later and the issue was resolved but I just assumed it was just them being lower educated than my more developed neighborhoods and able to fill the needed worker roles.

Gr8one

So I built an airport, 2 squares away from the city, but linked to highway, and barely anyone is using. I average like 20-30 passengers a week.

If it's too far, will no use it?

I don't think the distance really matters. I have an airport right next to a "nice" tourist trap filled with parks and unique buildings, and a trainstation, buses, and subway connections, and I still only get about 40 people a week at my airport.

Jimrpg

LOL I need to read that thread.

That kind of breaks the illusion a bit... I honestly thought the workers travelled from residential to industrial... so if they're not, I guess that means I don't have to design my roads to cater for workers then. I had initially put my residential zone in the middle, the school area to the left, and the industry to the right to avoid traffic jams in peak hours, but that doesn't matter anymore does it!

Tabris

I don't think the distance really matters. I have an airport right next to a "nice" tourist trap filled with parks and unique buildings, and a trainstation, buses, and subway connections, and I still only get about 40 people a week at my airport.

So it's useless?

Gr8one

I'm no expert and I may just be terrible at the game, but I get the feeling tourism was somewhat of an afterthought in the simulation. My tourism income is incredibly low compared to my RCI income, it does not even cover the upkeep of my unique buildings. I personally believe there will be a big content patch and dlc coming in the future that will revamp tourism. It's one of the better features of SimCity 2013 and i'd love to see some of those features in this game.

Tabris

On my 3rd city and I finally figured out how to avoid bad traffic.

Roundabout highway connections and no 4 way intersections anywhere ever. Except for my main road on my first area of this city (as I wasn't able to expand the highway until I could buy multiple squares), my traffic is almost green everywhere. Roundabouts are read but there's never any stall in the traffic, just a lot of volume.

Also I try to ensure each 2km by 2km square has 2-3 highway connection points.

EDIT - I do use pathways every single block, both on to the street and elevated pathways crossing blocks, so citizens use the intersections less. Also have metro stops every 2-3 blocks everywhere.

Gr8one

Wow, almost 20,000 items in the Workshop now. This game is really firing up the fans.

It really shows how much EA and Maxis messed up with SimCity. I have 626 items in my collection from the workshop and most of them are custom assets and the game has only been out 2 week!

On my 3rd city and I finally figured out how to avoid bad traffic.

Roundabout highway connections and no 4 way intersections anywhere ever. Except for my main road on my first area of this city (as I wasn't able to expand the highway until I could buy multiple squares), my traffic is almost green everywhere. Roundabouts are read but there's never any stall in the traffic, just a lot of volume.

Also I try to ensure each 2km by 2km square has 2-3 highway connection points.

I am also a convert to roundabouts. I tried to use one-ways to keep traffic flowing in my first city but I found that it caused too many problems with my services coverage and led to a lot of burnt down buildings and rotting corpses.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So uh how come turning on the Water Bill costs so much compared to Electricity Bill and Smoke Detectors? Even with 10k revenue it still goes negatives!

dejay

Banned
I'm not sure if this is the case, because I placed a crematory next to a place with a bunch of dead people icons and I saw the first hearse go and pick up a random body from a place several miles away that didn't even have a dead person icon above it. I might be wrong but I think the icon only appears if the body has been in the building uncollected for a long time.

But that's just my assumption based on my own experience, I wouldn't say that's the way the game behaves.

My hunch is that a hearse is assigned to a job. If a hearse is stuck in traffic, another hearse isn't going to go and take it's place, so the dead person waits for the assigned hearse to arrive, even if fresher bodies are being picked up by other hearses on later calls. This kinda makes sense in that hearses generally don't do garbage runs - crematoriums get jobs and they do it in order they receive them.

There are plenty of dead bodies all the time and on the occasion of a death wave, plenty of ripe bodies. It's when your traffic is bad that you start to get the flashing red bodies.

Bubba77

Im really enjoying this game. I was really dissapointed in the last Sim City and this one just feels right. My city is getting quite large and with that its getting ugly. Looking forward to starting new cities with all of the know-how I have gained about the process.

Been browsing the workshop for mods and additional assets and just noticed that one of the semi-official mod collections have a picture of...Reggie (of "my body is ready" fame).

Must...not...read...into...it...

(Gonna start a new city and play with different layouts.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom